PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Institute

warren doyle
01-11-2007, 08:35
For folks who are planning AT thru-hikes, the dates of the three 2007 Appalachian Trail Institutes held on the campus of Lees-McRae College in Banner Elk, NC are as follows:

Feb. 2-5 (F-M)
May 14-17 (M-R) (dovetailing into Damascus Trail Days)
Dec. 14-17 (F-M)

More info can be found on my website below.

Happy trails!

Appalachian Tater
01-11-2007, 08:38
This is in the wrong forum. It's not about trail towns or services.

Rain Man
01-11-2007, 14:20
This is in the wrong forum. It's not about trail towns or services.

NOT trying to argue, but it appears to be about AT hiker/trail services to me. What forum should it be in? Again, not arguing, I really mean that, sincerely.

Rain:sunMan

Nean
01-11-2007, 14:30
I'll agree w/ RM. It is a hiker service for those who want it and I'm sure there are those it helps, for one reason or another.
And I'm sure it services Warrens massive ego as well.:D

TJ aka Teej
01-11-2007, 14:44
What forum should it be in? Again, not arguing, I really mean that, sincerely.

There's a "stuff for sale" forum, isn't there?
I know some people selling things on this free site are donors. I think that shows class.

Sly
01-11-2007, 15:04
Do we really need to argue this again? Lots of people may find the ATI a valuable experience.

Wonder
01-11-2007, 15:19
I will say it again.....though I did not hike the kind of hike that Warren does,(I do like to party down from time to time) I found the class to be of great value to me. I had never backpacked before, and I was able to learn about gear, technique, and most of all, had a chance to meet other freaked out hopeful hikers.
It was nice to run into them through out last season.
Now, that is offically all I will say about it on the forum.
You want more...pm me.

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2007, 15:25
Sly: There are indeed folks who may find this sort of thing useful, but there's certainly nothing wrong with people pointing out that this is around the twentieth time this individual has come to Whiteblaze to hawk for cash money the sort of information that is generally offered here for free. It should further be pointed out that this individual is the ONLY well-known person in the hiker community who does this sort of thing, here at Whiteblaze, and at other websites.

You might think this is "useful."

Others quite frankly find it tawdry and tacky. Around 99.9% of the folks who come to this website in order to share their experience and knowledge, in order to help folks, especiallly newcomers to the Trail, don't feel the need to charge for this service, and don't send out half a dozen reminders a year that they are offering this "service."

In fact, I can think of only one who does.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2007, 15:29
For those of you who don't like Warren, put him on IGNORE. You won't see his posts. And Jack, you won't stress out so much at the mention of his name.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2007, 15:34
Sly: There are indeed folks who may find this sort of thing useful, but there's certainly nothing wrong with people pointing out that this is around the twentieth time this individual has come to Whiteblaze to hawk for cash money

You're the only one that keeps on whining about it. It's none of your business. If it was a problem the site admin would do something about it.

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2007, 15:35
I'm not stressed at all, Wolf.

You're missing the point, not for the first time.

Coming repeatedly to a site where thousands of folks share what they know for free, in order to charge money for what one allegedly knows....well that certainly IS tacky. And this needs to be said whenever he does it.

Tell ya what, Wolf: I'll keep doing why I do in regard to this gentleman, and you keep doing what you do, OK? It's a free country.

Only difference is my nose ain't smudged, while yours might need a good scrubbing.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2007, 15:38
Just S T F U already. You're whining like a little girl. Blah blah blah blah blah.:rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2007, 15:50
I'm perfectly calm, Wolf.

Read your last few posts.

If anyone's screeching here, it's you.

And why is commenting on this none of my business? If Mr. Doyle or anyone else posts here, then anyone who wishes to, can comment. If he wants to shill his alleged "Institute" here every few months, that's his business, just as anyone who wishes to comment on this vulgar sales pitch is free to do so.... and they don't need your permission, either.

Now go wash your face already, unless you've decided that brown is your new winter color.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2007, 15:51
www.warrendoyle.com click it for info

Almost There
01-11-2007, 15:52
I gotta agree with Wolf, Jack. While I obviously disagree with Warren on a wide variety of things...if the admins don't have a problem with it...who cares. Other people come here hawking their wares all the time.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-11-2007, 15:55
Warren puts all the info in a neat package and markets it to those who don't want to dig for it - why is this a problem? Others make us aware of various items and services that are available all the time. I don't see WD's mention of the school as any different from Fishin' Fred letting us know he has No snivler decals or Henry Shires / Ron Moak / Tinman etc. letting us know a new product is available.

Alligator
01-11-2007, 16:14
I know I give Warren a little bit of a hard time once in a while;) , but offering to teach for what is a fairly modest fee isn't a big deal, other people offer seminars and services here also.

It would be nice if Warren could at least put out a few dollars to be a donating member in return for the free advertising and all:o. As Attroll mentioned today, it does cost money to run the site. I think most of the other vendors and service providers understand that a small donation provides a lot of goodwill.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2007, 16:26
You're missing the point, not for the first time.

The POINT is extremely crystal clear to anyone who reads your posts for the first time or thousands of times. You do not like anything to do with Warren Doyle.
www.warrendoyle.com

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-11-2007, 16:27
A donation would be a nice gesture......

TJ aka Teej
01-11-2007, 16:37
If Warren has some 'special AT knowledge' that's worth sharing, perhaps he should be encouraged to post it here?
I've asked him a few times before when he's posted this advertisment here to put together an article, but he's never responded.

Appalachian Tater
01-11-2007, 19:52
NOT trying to argue, but it appears to be about AT hiker/trail services to me. What forum should it be in? Again, not arguing, I really mean that, sincerely.

Rain:sunMan

The General forum or Hiker Meetings and get togethers forum. This thread is not about a trail town or trail services. The "service" being offered is relevant to someone planning to hike the trail, not actually hiking it. It's not a hostel, restaurant, post office, supply provider, shuttle service, etc.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2007, 20:00
The General forum or Hiker Meetings and get togethers forum. This thread is not about a trail town or trail services. The "service" being offered is relevant to someone planning to hike the trail, not actually hiking it. It's not a hostel, restaurant, post office, supply provider, shuttle service, etc.

And you give a crap why?

max patch
01-11-2007, 20:10
I was thinking of going to ATI this year. Not gonna pay, of course. Thot I'd sneak into the lectures without paying, and then show up at lunch time and grab a 5 finger discount when someone left their food to go the restroom or where ever:)

icemanat95
01-11-2007, 20:13
This is one of the few times I'm going to differ with my friend Baltimore Jack.

Warren popping up and posting a heads up about his course ain't no big deal so long as the moderators don't care.

The rest of us expound ad nauseum on everything else in the world here...the political bickering really sucks down the average intelligence level of posts on WB...but no one stops that, so why not let Warren drop his occasional comment in peace and move on?

His post would probably just drop off the RADAR within a couple of days if it was just left alone anyhow.

Sly
01-11-2007, 20:18
Anyone know for sure if Warren doesn't already donate something to WB?

rickb
01-11-2007, 20:48
Not gonna pay, of course

Warren requests payment at the end of the course. If you don't want to pay, dont.

In this society few people would have the courage not to pay "the man".

Thoughtfull people would do well to consider not paying, however. If done for the right reasons, Warren will no doubt respect you for such a choice.

If I lived in the area I would attend under nom de guerre, and limit my contribution to the cost of apples or such that Warren might provide (if that). Not because I would expect anything but great value from his course (indeed, those attending the ATI enjoy a remarkably high completion rate of the entire Trail), but ratheR because I do think that the real teacher is the Trail itself-- and not a man. Any man.

I would look Warren in the eye, shake his hand, and go hiking. As a genuine WD acolyte!

Gray Blazer
01-11-2007, 21:48
This is one of the few times I'm going to differ with my friend Baltimore Jack.

Warren popping up and posting a heads up about his course ain't no big deal so long as the moderators don't care.

The rest of us expound ad nauseum on everything else in the world here...the political bickering really sucks down the average intelligence level of posts on WB...but no one stops that, so why not let Warren drop his occasional comment in peace and move on?

His post would probably just drop off the RADAR within a couple of days if it was just left alone anyhow.Any publicity is good publicity?

dperry
01-11-2007, 22:48
I was thinking of going to ATI this year. Not gonna pay, of course. Thot I'd sneak into the lectures without paying, and then show up at lunch time and grab a 5 finger discount when someone left their food to go the restroom or where ever:)

Good answer! :clap

TinAbbey
01-12-2007, 00:08
annnnnnnnnnd scene .

A-Train
01-12-2007, 01:15
Anyone know for sure if Warren doesn't already donate something to WB?

Why not just ask Warren...?

Really nothing wrong with what he does with his ATI. It's not my cup of tea, and there's a wealth of free info on the net, but there may be someone who might benefit from his program. In fact, the info here is NOT exactly like what Warren offers. Sure all of us could offer an explanation for any query on here, with 700 different answers, but can we spend a whole weekend devoted, face to face, to helping people plan their trips? I would volunteer my time for this, as i'm sure others would, but it probably wouldn't be as organized as Warren has it. Whether people agree with the service or not, it's obviously attractive to a small niche of folks, otherwise Warren wouldn't continue to offer it.

An analogy, albeit not a perfect one: Hostel A on the trail is for donation only, as is essentially a "free" service. However, it's run informally, on a do-it yourself basis, with little caretaking. Hostel B is 15 or 20 bucks, but is run with a more personal, efficient touch. There are services offered that make others feel more comfortable, more like they're getting what they pay for, and that the extra money is worth it, for what they recieve. Maybe that's the experience they are searching for, a little indulgence, someone to plan out their trip more for them.

Like I always say, don't sign up if you don't like it. Bickering will probably have little to no effect on his overall business anyway.

Sly
01-12-2007, 01:25
Why not just ask Warren...?

Why don't I just ask him? I don't really care, but apparently there are a number of others that do. I tend to doubt they actually know, so why accuse someone of not donating beforehand. Maybe they should mind their own business.

Kinda reminds me when someone sees another on the 2000-miler list and calls the guy a cheater because they skipped a section without any idea of if they hiked it at another time.

MedicineMan
01-12-2007, 03:53
1. why ask the moderators to take a stance on WD's ads
2. Jack, why not offer a course yourself to give hikers a choice between
the two
3. I sit on the fence on WD, never met the man so how can I judge. Not that
I dont trust all the posts here (uhmm). I had hoped to meet him at the
2006 ALDHA but he did not attend
4. If you contribute doesnt it say something under your avatar?
5. There's got to be some serious bad blood between Jack and WD, I for one
who has watched this soap for several years now would be interested
in knowing what went down?