PDA

View Full Version : AT Objectives

roaddamage
01-11-2007, 10:37
I had a friend ask me WHY I was hiking the AT, and if I had any objectives to reach during my hike.

She explained that she went on a solo hike before she got married, and she had three objectives, three questions about herself that she wanted to have answered by the end of her trip. The main question "am I ready to be married?" She told me that having these questions to answer gave her focus during her hike, and the hike gave her time to really ponder the answers, without the distractions of everyday life.

What are some questions that you want answered about yourself, that you are going to think about while on your hike?

My main one is "What do I want be when I grow up?" I'm 25, and I joined the Army in 2001 because I didn't know the answer, and wanted some time to learn some skills, and travel a bit before I decided what to do for the rest of my life. 6 years passed, and I still don't know, but I'm closer.

MrHappy
01-11-2007, 10:54
One of my objectives is to learn how to complete something HUGE by taking it one step at the time, rather than rushing through everything at once and buggerring it up (as I usually do). With the AT, I'll literally be forced to do it one step at a time.

Also, I want to get in shape, get out and explore, have fun, get the bragging rights, get the experience (for myself and my resume), and have a blast.

Did I mention have fun? That too.

scope
01-11-2007, 11:22
I doubt your question will be answered on the trail. If you're looking for focus, keep in mind the obvious one, Maine (or GA if your SOBO), with the thought that if in fact you do complete the thru, that you will have learned plenty about yourself, as well as others, so that you will be armed with the knowledge to make good decisions about who you are and what direction to take for your future.

4eyedbuzzard
01-11-2007, 11:33
What are some questions that you want answered about yourself, that you are going to think about while on your hike?.

Where is the nearest AYCE? Is there a top to this hill? Why does this pack feel so heavy? Why do my feet hurt? Does this trail ever go downhill? Okay, does it ever go downhill somewhere other than a cliff? Where is the nearest AYCE?

My main one is "What do I want be when I grow up?" I'm 25, and I joined the Army in 2001... 6 years passed, and I still don't know, but I'm closer.

After hiking the trail you'll probably be 6 months older... and still getting closer. People don't really grow up - we just get closer and closer - and older.

iamscottym
01-11-2007, 11:39
Well roaddamage, it looks like we're in the same boat. I'm 21, and doing a hike this spring before I go to boot camp.

Mostly, I'm hiking to get in better shape. I've also wanted to do it for a while, so I figure I'll do it now while I can in case I end up losing a leg or something in Iraq .

Sleepy the Arab
01-11-2007, 12:43
"I can out to the trail for some answers, and all I got were more questions." - Soda Pop '01

So true.

Grampie
01-11-2007, 12:59
I doubt your question will be answered on the trail. If you're looking for focus, keep in mind the obvious one, Maine (or GA if your SOBO), with the thought that if in fact you do complete the thru, that you will have learned plenty about yourself, as well as others, so that you will be armed with the knowledge to make good decisions about who you are and what direction to take for your future.

I don't agree with you Scope. A long AT hike is a great way to get your personal life in order. I didn't have that problem, at 66 years old, but gave some advise, several times, to younger folks who were out searching for answers and asked for my opinion.
One thing, for sure, you will have plenty of time to reflect, think, and plan for the future while walking. :sun

rafe
01-11-2007, 13:42
1. Getting from one end to the other.
2. Having fun while doing so.

YMMV.

Footslogger
01-11-2007, 13:54
My main one is "What do I want be when I grow up?" I'm 25, and I joined the Army in 2001 because I didn't know the answer, and wanted some time to learn some skills, and travel a bit before I decided what to do for the rest of my life. 6 years passed, and I still don't know, but I'm closer.

================================

Man ...if I had hiked the trail when I was your age I think I would have had similar questions.

Kinda like Grampie, I wasn't trying to figure out my life so much when I hiked the trail in 2003.

For me, it was the realization of a dream ...a VERY longstanding dream.

My objectives going into the hike were:

1) Stop the world and get off for a while

2) To Finish !! (Achieving things I set out to do is important to me)

3) Enjoy the outdoors and simplicity of the thru-hiking lifestyle

4) Meet other hikers and have a great time

I was successful in meeting all my goals !!

As for what to do when I grow up ...well, let's just say I'm still working on that. Rather than knowing what I want or want to be, what the trail did for me personally was to clarify what I DIDN'T WANT or DIDN'T WANT TO BE !!

'Slogger

scope
01-12-2007, 10:58
I don't agree with you Scope. A long AT hike is a great way to get your personal life in order. I didn't have that problem, at 66 years old, but gave some advise, several times, to younger folks who were out searching for answers and asked for my opinion.
One thing, for sure, you will have plenty of time to reflect, think, and plan for the future while walking. :sun

Think you might have misinterpreted what I wrote, Grampie. I wrote that his question was not likely to be answered on the trail. I certainly agree with you about how good such a journey can be. I just think he needs to relax a bit about what he wants to be, and let the journey answer some of the questions he doesn't yet know to ask, from which he'll be better able to answer his question.

Mags
01-12-2007, 16:42
So the question is, as it was four years ago, why go?

Why give up half a year’s salary to get sunburned, become thirsty, get rained and snowed on?

Why walk day after day with chafing and sore muscles? Why be hungry all the time, only to have yet another mass of a soggy noodle dish for dinner?

Because the body heals. The pain is forgotten. The stomach eventually has its fill of food.

But the memories linger on:
A sunset at Greenleaf Hut at the base of Franconia Ridge. A quiet campsite at the shores of a lake in Maine.
Seeing ponies graze in the Grayson Highlands after a snowstorm.

I am going for the new memories I want to create. The new experiences I have yet to have.

Four years ago, at about this time, I wrote an answer to the question of “Why go?” Four years later, the trail may be different, but the sentiments still hold true:

“The most asked question about my hike is a simple “WHY GO?” I have several reasons, but I think the best answer is for the journey itself – all the pains and joys, all the experiences that comes with a 2160 mile walk in the woods”.

Peaks
01-12-2007, 17:42
I'd been section hiking the AT on and off for decades. I was at that time in my life when I realized that if I was ever going to get it done, I would need to do it in bigger chunks, like half each year, so that's what I set out to do.

In hindsite, I came to realize that among cancer survivors, there is a tremendous need to prove to yourself and people that know you that you are not going to let cancer beat you.

magic_game03
01-12-2007, 19:11
if it is answers you need, I doubt you will find them on the trail. But when you get home and still have questions, it will start to dawn on you how really big it was to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. Now replace the "it" with "life" in the last sentence and the picture becomes clearer. If you have more questions when you finish then when you started than the trail worked its magic on you.
but most likely those questions will be different, something along the lines of "why do I work for the MAN just so he can drive around in the limo," "why do I work 40+ hours a week for the best 20 years of my life," "why are most(not all, look around at work and tell me how many of your coworkers are really happy not just content with a paycheck aka peanuts) of the people who work 40+ hours a week only happy for about half-an-hour a day?" now I'm not saying your a sucker if you work, I'm saying your a sucker if you trade your life for peanuts. I tend to think most people who hike long distance are tradeing peanuts for life, and I'll take that trade any day.

live life, not work.

buckowens
01-12-2007, 19:41
I am section hiking with my kids, and my goal is to finish the trail before I die... My daughter (9) and I leave for a two week trip to Springer in June and then I will do it as often as possible with each of my kids (my son is only 6). I believe it will be some quality time with no distractions, and a great memory. Especially if my demise is sooner than expected. I have a dangerous job as well and you just never know.

Whatever anyone's reason, I admire anyone who does it at all. It's too easy to stay at home and connect with the world via computer. If I ran a company and had two applicants, and one was a successful thru-hiker, I would probably hire him or her. It shows a planning ability, dedication and guts no matter what the real reasons.

Blissful
01-12-2007, 23:50
So the question is, as it was four years ago, why go?

Why give up half a year’s salary to get sunburned, become thirsty, get rained and snowed on?

Why walk day after day with chafing and sore muscles? Why be hungry all the time, only to have yet another mass of a soggy noodle dish for dinner?

Because the body heals. The pain is forgotten. The stomach eventually has its fill of food.

But the memories linger on:
A sunset at Greenleaf Hut at the base of Franconia Ridge. A quiet campsite at the shores of a lake in Maine.
Seeing ponies graze in the Grayson Highlands after a snowstorm.

I am going for the new memories I want to create. The new experiences I have yet to have.

Four years ago, at about this time, I wrote an answer to the question of “Why go?” Four years later, the trail may be different, but the sentiments still hold true:

“The most asked question about my hike is a simple “WHY GO?” I have several reasons, but I think the best answer is for the journey itself – all the pains and joys, all the experiences that comes with a 2160 mile walk in the woods”.

This is an excellent answer. Little else needs to be added except it will also be a spiritual journey for me. That I may return healthier - physically, emotionally, and spiritually than when I left.

K0OPG
01-14-2007, 11:08
I've tried to answer this for my wife. The best answer I can come up with is that to something few others have done.

That's why I joined the Marines. It is generally known as the hardest and toughest so I wanted that instead of being one of a hundred thousand in the other branches. I also was a deputy because not many can be a law enforcement officer. and now I work for the department of homeland security, something not everyone can do.

It's that feeling of "belonging" to a special group that has a very rigorious initiation or very stringent qualifications/restrictions for one to be part of.

after 20 years in the military, I still have allot of unanswered questions about my life and future that I am hopeing to not necessarily find the answers to but at least (hopefully) have some guidance in.

I don't know, maybe I'm just full of shiite and will find that out also on the trail. I'll just have to wait and see.

fonsie
01-15-2007, 10:20
Well Im 31 and I am doing my thru hike in March. I have been married with a house and it was fine. Now 3 years after a divorce and 4 years since I sold the house. Two years ago I started backpacking again. I did it alot when was a teenager and I did'nt like to carry that heavy gear in the early 90's, I liked being out on the trail. But the reason im doing this is to figure out what to do in life. I don't feel my age, I feel 21. Hope to see you out there on the trail.

the_iceman
01-15-2007, 23:35
What are some questions that you want answered about yourself, that you are going to think about while on your hike?

I am 54 and I still don't know either. Sometimes it takes a few thousand miles just to figure out the questions.

J Link NJ
01-16-2007, 00:05
i've had a lot of people ask me "why?" and i just ask them "why not?"

i hope to become more independent, stronger-mentally and physically, to be able to say i walked 2000 miles

Dancer
01-16-2007, 12:05
If people have to ask "WHY" then you will never be able to explain it to them. No matter what you say they will walk away still wondering. You either get it or you don't.

rafe
01-16-2007, 13:12
"Objectives" just sounds so cold and clinical and.... anal. Just go. Have fun, meet people, clear your head. You'll have plenty of time to "think" if that's what you wanna do (and for all the good it does. ;))

maxNcathy
01-17-2007, 16:46
Hiking will be an adventure.

sandalwood