PDA

View Full Version : Cosby Knob Shelter

Doctari
06-26-2003, 16:22
The "Next to last shelter" in the Smokies for Northbounders. I visited this shelter in 2000, when it still had the bear cage front, and NO privy. finding a "clean" place to dig a cat hole was an, , , adventure. I'm happy to report that the cage is down, and a new Mouldering privy is in place :banana
When I was there in 2000, it was a fairly dry time yet the spring was flowing nicely. There are 2 sets of "bear cables" for hanging your food (2 hooks each set). And the shelter is just a few dozen yards from the AT.

Some day I will stay at this shelter without forgetting something in the morning, I have now climbed from the gap to the shelter 3 times, twice to retrieve forgotten gear :rolleyes:

dionalaniz
07-20-2003, 12:34
I read in Wingfoot's guide there's a family of skunks that visit this shelter. Any sightings this year?

FloridaPanther
04-21-2004, 00:14
Cobbs Corner was a welcome sight after battling high winds, deep snow at the higher elevations.
The water source was close by. The latrine was in place and there was a tarp covering the front blocking out the frigid wind.
Found it to my liking much better than Peck's.

sliderule
07-29-2005, 10:47
As of 7/27/2005, Cosby Knob shelter was closed due to bear activity.

Lone Wolf
07-29-2005, 11:07
Should be an open season on the sumbitches!

Riddick
09-24-2005, 14:53
From what I can find on the GSMNP closing info, this shelter is open again. None in my party have been to this shelter before and I'm wondering what kind of shape it's in. Any info from anyone that has been through there recently - rats, critters etc.?

Thanks,
Riddick

Stoker53
09-24-2005, 19:25
Since Cosby Knob is a relatively short distance from the Big Creek trail ( access via Low Gap trial ) I doubt that the shelter is in bad shape. Shelter access for the Park Service would not be difficult. It is possible to drive to the Low Gap trail junction.

I was there 3 years ago , in Jan , and shelter was in good shape.

Chip
09-24-2005, 22:01
Spent the night at this shelter last October while getting in another section.
First there was 3 of us then 5 and before 9 pm the shelter was full. We had a nice fire going in the fireplace. A few mice that night, no skunks. Temps were in the 30s that evening. Everyone had a good time and made new friends.
One couple was from Norway here on vacation, decided to do an overnight at the shelter. Hiked up from Cosby campground up Low Gap trail. :)

sliderule
09-26-2005, 16:31
Since Cosby Knob is a relatively short distance from the Big Creek trail ( access via Low Gap trial ) I doubt that the shelter is in bad shape. Shelter access for the Park Service would not be difficult. It is possible to drive to the Low Gap trail junction.

Interestingly, the AT shelters in the Great Smoky Mtns National Park are not maintained by the National Park Service. They are maintained by volunteers from the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club, who also maintain the trail itself.

Walessp
09-27-2005, 07:36
Any one know of some good campsites nearby Cosby Knob (if it is indeed closed)? And since the GSMNP officials want you to only camp in the shelter, would this be "legal" in their view?

Sky Rider

(walessp)

manzana
09-27-2005, 10:46
As of 9/27/05 Cosby Knob was open for business. It was closed 2 months ago due to bear activity but that has passed. Bears tend to keep moving this time of year. Cosby Knob is my favorite shelter since it is just one day from Mountain Mama's greasy cheeseburgers. mmm... :bse

manzana in Austin
thru hike 2006

sliderule
10-05-2005, 02:44
Is the chain link fence still up?

Doctari
10-05-2005, 03:41

It was not up last time I was there (see first post). My understanding is that the park service is trying to get away from them all together.

Doctari.

Gray Blazer
10-05-2005, 07:37
As far as "legal" campsites near Cosby Knob, Bob, the Ridge Runner told me that The Cammerrer Tower was a good place to spend the night. When the rangers haul you off or give you a fine, just tell them "Bob" Said it was OK.

Joey
10-05-2005, 08:54
Any one know of some good campsites nearby Cosby Knob (if it is indeed closed)? And since the GSMNP officials want you to only camp in the shelter, would this be "legal" in their view?

Sky Rider

(walessp) You may have to hike down to Walnut Bottoms on the Big Creek Trail or slide down to Cosby and camp there. If ya dont want a fine. Saw a group of College Kids get hammered at Eagle Creek a couple of years ago for having dogs, no backcountry permit and alcohol. The ranger also made them pack up and leave with their fines. He told me afterwards that if he had room on his boat they would have went to jail. Minnick who is the backcountry ranger in Cosby will sneak up there sometimes when you dont expect him to.

sliderule
10-05-2005, 10:54
It was not up last time I was there (see first post). Okay, I am trying to connect the dots. I suppose that "the cage is down" is to be interpreted to mean that the chain link fence has been removed from the front of the shelter. I get it now.

Joey
10-05-2005, 11:41
Okay, I am trying to connect the dots. I suppose that "the cage is down" is to be interpreted to mean that the chain link fence has been removed from the front of the shelter. I get it now.You connected that dot just right. The fence is gone!

Uncle Wayne
10-06-2005, 02:12

But here's a poor photo of Cosby Knob Shelter as it was in October 2003.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1523/size/big/sort/1/cat/500

sliderule
10-06-2005, 11:40
But here's a poor photo of Cosby Knob Shelter as it was in October 2003.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1523/size/big/sort/1/cat/500Thanks. It would be great if there was a picture of every shelter.

manzana
11-28-2005, 13:25
I was at the shelter last week. There has always been a very reliable spring here; a metal pipe which flowed for 30(?) years. It has just stopped flowing unfortunately although there is still a seep under the pipe. I would gladly fix it but it would involve some digging no doubt and I dont know what I am doing. Apparently the pipe has filled with mud or filled with corrosion. The water is much clearer when it comes out of the pipe.

APPLE

hiker9
01-23-2006, 01:18
Water is flowing again at Cosby Knob shelter. We overnighted there this weekend on a trip to see Mt. Cammerer. We had no problems filtering from the pool or filling a bladder directly under the pipe. In fact, the flow created several spots down the hill one could filter from.

I've never been there before so I can't say if it's at full flow nor do I know if it was attended to by volunteers or ridge runners. The guy at backcountry reservations attributed its recovery to plenty of recent rain and snow melt.

Shelter is in great shape. Nice privy. No skunks but the mice were already caffienated before we got there. Very active and vocal. I think I learned how to insult another mouse's mom in their own squeeky language.

handlebar
01-23-2006, 21:44
When I worked Rocky Top crew the week of Oct 17, 05, there was no fence. I believe, they've removed all the fences from the GSMNP shelters. The spring wasn't running from the pipe, but the pool was running pretty well and had plenty of water that could be dipped or filtered. The shelter was in good shape. RockyTop Crew fixed up the steps on the side trail and there is now a privy. Here as anywhere, if there are bearhanging setups, be sure to use them. If there not any find a tree for your "bear bag"

The RockyTop crew had a base camp about 200 yds south and they had observed bear activity earlier in the year---had an electric fence going around the kitchen tarp area and crew leader really emphasized hanging anything smelly (foods, toothpaste, etc.) and not eating anything. Maybe that's when Cosby Knob was closed.

As mentioned in another post, Mt. Camerer Fire Tower is a not-to-be-missed side trip (level and not very far off the trail on a spur to the left .6 mi just before the long downhill to Davenport Gap). The view is spectacular. Here's what it looked like Oct 2005--thats the railing you see on the edge: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php/?i=9835&c=555 :)

Ewker
04-17-2006, 13:47
the shelter is being remodeled. There is no wooden roof over it just a tarp right now. The water was flowing and it looks like the privy has been redone also

Doctari
04-17-2006, 15:17
The Privy is being re done?????

It is only a few years old, less than 6.

Weird.

Doctari.

TACKLE
04-17-2006, 18:45
I was at Cosby Knob on 6/7/05 and I know why the bears became a problem.There was a group of inconsiderate people that were feeding them as they hiked the Smokies.They had stayed the night before I was there,and the bears were out in broad daylight looking for food when I arrived.I wish I would have run into a ranger,because I could have identified them,they had also left food (heavy fruit cups and all their trash) right on the trail,so they could take pictures.Scariest moment on the trail for me,the bear just wouldn't scare off.

Cookerhiker
04-18-2006, 09:42
I was at Cosby Knob on 6/7/05 and I know why the bears became a problem.There was a group of inconsiderate people that were feeding them as they hiked the Smokies.They had stayed the night before I was there,and the bears were out in broad daylight looking for food when I arrived.I wish I would have run into a ranger,because I could have identified them,they had also left food (heavy fruit cups and all their trash) right on the trail,so they could take pictures.Scariest moment on the trail for me,the bear just wouldn't scare off.

Never ceases to amaze me that there are still people like that hiking the trail, especially overnighters who presumably had a permit/reservation and were undoubtedly told not to feed bears. Sorry for your experience.

My own experience at Cosby Knob fared much better. Hiking SOBO October 2004, perfect crisp fall weather after 4 days of rain. Awaking to a sunrise at Cosby and thoroughly hiking that day to Peck's Corner - my best day in the Smokies.

NINpigNIN
05-26-2006, 20:45
I stayed there on an overnight in November 2005 (weekend before Thanksgiving). It got down to about 35 degrees that night, but the night before it dropped down to 17 or so.

The mice were active, but contained their activity to the top rack (luckily I was on the bottom). One of the other people who used the shelter that night (not including mice, there were 6 of us - myself and two others who hiked up Low Gap trail from Cosby campground, and 3 northbound section hikers) woke up to one of those buggers chewing on his water bottle cozy and staring him in the face as if to say, "What you gonna do about it, bub?"

Sunrise from Cosby Knob is excellent. You can see it right from the rack, no need to get out of your bag.

No bear sightings that weekend, but about a quarter mile from the shelter I heard what I thought was a bear (and a young one at that) behind me, which certainly made me pick my pace up quite a bit.

John B
05-30-2006, 07:39
I stayed at Cosby last week -- plenty of water flowing from the pipe at the spring, no mice, no bears, no bear fence. There is lots of lumber around that is marked for use to rehabilitate the shelter.

Sandy B
09-07-2006, 20:25
Was there 30 Aug 06, Had only seen two people in 3 days, Lots and lots of rain, Spring flowing very well. The roof was a tarp, it did leak in two small spots but only during the heavest of down pours. Lots of mice and some birds that came in and roost(ed) about 4 ft from me on the top shelf. They were kinda fun to watch but they did not flyaway even when I got during the night. They sat there while I packed the following morning. (in the rain). When the re build is completed I am sure it will be a great place.
Sandy B

mweinstone
09-08-2006, 23:27
i stayed there on a stary night with the tarp off. the birds live there. great spring. we were there the day the sacorsky helo dropped and picked up several loads. great great place on the trail. met very very cool old trail workers and sat by the fireplace inside an a feb or march nite. they new so so so much about the woods.wonderfull memorys.

Sly
09-08-2006, 23:48

Say again L. Wolf?