PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody ever hike

Desert Lobster
01-11-2007, 14:06
the section of trail from the highway in Monson to Abol Bridge?

Desert Lobster
01-11-2007, 14:34
in one 24 hour period?

Askus3
01-12-2007, 02:38
What do you want to know about that stretch of the AT known as "The Hundred Mile Wilderness"? Obviously every thru-hiker has hiked it plus a whole horde of other backpackers, section hikers and even a few day hikers.
I hiked the southern portion from JoMary Road to Monson. See my thread and trip report here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15784).

Correction: Now I see that both posts were from you. I doubt it - I don't think anybody has gone 100 miles in a 24 hour period on flat ground nevertheless on the rollercoaster type terrain that the Hundred Mile Wilderness offers. My guess is a speed record thru the wilderness would be at least four days minimum.

Jim Adams
01-12-2007, 06:43
could be done but why? never mind, my reasoning for possibility was the Leadville 100 foot race in Leadville Colorado but then again why the Leadville?

Lone Wolf
01-12-2007, 06:43
I doubt it - I don't think anybody has gone 100 miles in a 24 hour period on flat ground nevertheless on the rollercoaster type terrain that the Hundred Mile Wilderness offers. My guess is a speed record thru the wilderness would be at least four days minimum.

There are quite a few 100 mile trail ultramarathons that have 24 hour time limits. Lots of them are run in Colorado and California. The top runners finish around 16-18 hours. I know a few hikers that have done the "wilderness" in 2 days, supported. I've done it in 4 days with a pack no problem.

Jaybird
01-12-2007, 07:31
the section of trail from the highway in Monson to Abol Bridge?

give me about 10 more years....:D

Askus3
01-12-2007, 08:09
OK. I stand to be corrected. Now we just have to get an organizer and put together a Hundred Mile Wilderness ultra-marathon and off we go. I still say anyone doing it in less than 8 days is missing those tranquil times soaking in the beauty of all those lakeside views. I don't condemn anyone from hustling thru, just to get to Katahdin or just finishing it off but I think the wilderness is special, enjoy it at a leisurely pace. Take the time to enjoy the blue spurs (ie. Gulf Hagas). I personally don't believe the trail was built to race thru on it. But to each their own.

Lone Wolf
01-12-2007, 08:11
I personally don't believe the trail was built to race thru on it. But to each their own.

It wasn't built to be hiked in one shot either. In a sense, a thru-hike is a race.

rafe
01-12-2007, 08:32
It wasn't built to be hiked in one shot either. In a sense, a thru-hike is a race.

There is truth in this.

Lion King
01-12-2007, 12:44
I did fifty miles of it in 4 hours one year...

grizzlyadam
01-12-2007, 12:51
a fellow by the name of sweeper once did the 100+ miles through SNP in 24 hours

Desert Lobster
01-12-2007, 12:56
Hasn't Horton done than Shannies in less than 24 hours?

rafe
01-12-2007, 13:00

4 hours? By foot?

MOWGLI
01-12-2007, 13:15
a fellow by the name of sweeper once did the 100+ miles through SNP in 24 hours

Kirk thru-hiked in '01. Nice guy.

Desert Lobster
01-12-2007, 14:37
LW,

Didn't Maineak do the last 80 miles to Baxter Peak without sleep to satisfy the time goal he had set for himself from the start? How much of that last push did you hike with him? The last 5.2 down off the mountain must have been a sleepwalk!

weary
01-12-2007, 14:56

If my math is correct that's four 4.8 minute miles in a row over rough, uphill and down, woodland trails. !? A remarkable athletic ability, I would say ....

Weary

weary
01-12-2007, 15:03
LW,

Didn't Maineak do the last 80 miles to Baxter Peak without sleep to satisfy the time goal he had set for himself from the start? How much of that last push did you hike with him? The last 5.2 down off the mountain must have been a sleepwalk!
I met Maineak in the 100-mile-wilderness duriing his record attempt in 1991. He was traveling fast, but stopped for a half minute or so to chat. He didn't strike me as being overly obsessed.

Weary

Disney
01-12-2007, 15:08

You averaged 12.5 miles an hour through the 100 mile wilderness?

MOWGLI
01-12-2007, 15:11
You averaged 12.5 miles an hour through the 100 mile wilderness?

I believe he's talking about time spent in the editing room.

rafe
01-12-2007, 15:14

Right over my head.... :datz:datz:datz

Disney
01-15-2007, 13:45

Ok gotcha. Good movie, saw it at trail days.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 08:37
LW,

Yes. We got to Katahdin Stream campground around 6:00pm and had to be on top by midnite. We arrived at the sign at 8:40pm.

Moxie00
01-16-2007, 10:55
I have seen the 100 mile done in three days by an unsupported ultra lite hiker but she missed a beautiful trip. If one has the time the 100 should be hiked in 10 or more days. The Gulf Hagas side trail is one of the most spectular places between Georgia and Katahdin but to hike it means an extra day. The view of the Maine Wilderness from the top of Whitecap is worth stopping to enjoy. If you have a rod and a licence the trout fishing in the 100 mile is the best you will find anywhere for wild native brook trout. If one is hiking for speed you can do the 100 in about three days but if one is hiking for beauy, solitude, and the general good feelings many of us get then slow down when you get to the 100 mile. Your hike is almost over, savor every remaining minute and drink in the raw beauty. Katahdin will come soon enough.

Nightwalker
02-01-2007, 17:27
OK. I stand to be corrected. Now we just have to get an organizer and put together a Hundred Mile Wilderness ultra-marathon and off we go. I still say anyone doing it in less than 8 days is missing those tranquil times soaking in the beauty of all those lakeside views. I don't condemn anyone from hustling thru, just to get to Katahdin or just finishing it off but I think the wilderness is special, enjoy it at a leisurely pace. Take the time to enjoy the blue spurs (ie. Gulf Hagas). I personally don't believe the trail was built to race thru on it. But to each their own.

I got to the North end of Rainbow Lake early in the afternoon. There was no way that I could keep going; it was too beautiful. I spent 16-18 hours there, listening to the loons and watching the wind move the trees around. The 100 mile is too wonderful to rush.