PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

DipDog
01-11-2007, 14:31
I recently purchased a digital camera and I would like some advice for maintaining it on the trail. It is not a waterproof camera. Storage,Cases, Best cold weather batteries.... Any info will help!

rafe
01-11-2007, 14:52
Get a simple, light neoprene case. A sturdy Ziploc might do in a pinch.

Sly
01-11-2007, 14:55
Depending on the size of your camera, Stumpknocker uses a Altoids tin for a hard case. Ziplock bag for storage in wet weather. I'm not sure about the best cold weather batteries. I would guess they're all basically the about same

Mango
01-11-2007, 14:58
I used a ziplock for my camera going nobo in '06, and it worked fine. However, when I got it out in damp weather, it was at risk of moisture problems. I carried it in my cargo pants pocket for quick access.

I also carried extra batteries (the small flat rectangular kind) and extra memory cards (1 gig and 0.5 gigs). Kept a battery charger in the bounce box.

Good luck.

Footslogger
01-11-2007, 14:59
I use a small fanny pack with a front zipper compartment that is just the right size for my camera. Weather permitting I just keep it in that compartment where it is protected (somwhat) from the elements. If it rains (listen to me ..."IF" ?? ) I put the camera in a pint sized ziplock and keep it in that same compartment of the fanny pack.

I've learned that the easier your camera is to grab the more pics you'll end up taking.

That approach worked well for me.

'Slogger

Michele
01-11-2007, 15:50
I'd recommend lithium batteries. Cold kills the chemical reaction that takes place in a normal alkaline battery much faster than in lithium. They are more expensive, however, and may be hard to find in little towns.

I also plan on just keeping my camera in my hip belt pocket and in a ziplock when it rains. Although, it is waterproof to 10 ft, I figure I'd rather KNOW it's protected in a downpour, and a ziplock will keep grime and mud from it too (when I fall face first in a giant mud puddle that is....)

KG4FAM
01-11-2007, 16:04
I used a ziplock for my camera going nobo in '06, and it worked fine. However, when I got it out in damp weather, it was at risk of moisture problems. I carried it in my cargo pants pocket for quick access.

I also carried extra batteries (the small flat rectangular kind) and extra memory cards (1 gig and 0.5 gigs). Kept a battery charger in the bounce box.

Good luck.

Howdy Mango. I met you in the hundred mile wilderness at the Long Pond Stream lean-to if I remember correctly. My name is Grizzly Bear and I was hiking with a guy named Whisper. He was from Raleigh, NC and I come from SC. I hiked down to the Maine Junction and decided that the train station in Rutland was just as good as the one on the trail in new york so I took it home instead. The last I saw of Whisper was at the Zealand Falls Hut.

Littlest Hobo
01-11-2007, 16:09
I typically put my camera in a plastic soap case, and put the case in a ziplock bag

dloome
01-11-2007, 18:00
I keep my compact digital in a little padded Mountainsmith pouch attached to my shoulder strap. When it's raining I still have the camera in the pouch, but stick the camera in an Aloksak, available from backpackinglight.com. It's basically a zip-lock bag but very durable and totally submersible.

A 3-pack of Aloksacks in several different sizes is about $8, totally worth it. These things are awesome.

MisterSweetie
01-11-2007, 19:22
if you are more concerned about protection than weight, you might consider an otterbox. Probably have one that is close to your camera size, and maybe room for spare batteries.
www.otterbox.com
I have their ipod nano case, and I think it's a great product. Also you'd have some crush protection too.

rafe
01-11-2007, 19:28
My experience with cameras is that the more "case" you put around it, the less likely it is to be used. ;)

I've used plain old Ziplocs with (almost) complete success. Except this last weekend I used a cheapie generic ziploc and the &*$@ thing ripped. So use the real thing. Another idea is to make a little pouch for the camera out of bubble wrap and duct tape.

MisterSweetie
01-11-2007, 19:39
if you are more concerned about protection than weight, you might consider an otterbox. Probably have one that is close to your camera size, and maybe room for spare batteries.
www.otterbox.com (http://www.otterbox.com)
I have their ipod nano case, and I think it's a great product. Also you'd have some crush protection too.Ok, so I'm actually very glad you asked about cases, and got me thinking about otterbox again. I've always eyed the zippo case they make (which they say is the only case you can fly with zippos using)....
So I was looking for a case that'd fit or nearly so my camera (Canon SD600). Turns out the Otterbox Zippo case would be almost perfect. Just a little larger, but that's ok... maybe room for extra memory or something. Camera is (3.4 x 2.1 x 0.9in). The Zippo case is 4.0"x 2.5"x 1.3" (interior).

Thanks man!!

hopefulhiker
01-11-2007, 21:15
I carried mine in a ziplock bag...

MisterSweetie
01-12-2007, 09:22
I just bought an otterbox for my camera. :) w00t! I'm glad I saw this thread...

rafe
01-12-2007, 09:37
I just bought an otterbox for my camera. :) w00t! I'm glad I saw this thread...

You'll want one of these (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/haliburton_case.jpg) for your camp stove, then. ;)

DipDog
01-12-2007, 14:01
Get a simple, light neoprene case. A sturdy Ziploc might do in a pinch.

I like the idea of the neoprene case. I will absolutely have ziplock baggies. I did a bit of searching, and mostly found cases made of pack clothe. I will continue looking. Thanks for the help.

rafe
01-12-2007, 14:10
I like the idea of the neoprene case. I will absolutely have ziplock baggies. I did a bit of searching, and mostly found cases made of pack clothe. I will continue looking. Thanks for the help.

Have a look here (http://www.optechusa.com/category/second/?CATEGORY_ID=5). BH Photo has them. (Lots of places to find them.)

freefall
01-12-2007, 20:08
I have a case (made by Lowe) that attaches to my shoulder strap. I keep my camera, spare batteries (rechargable litihum), spare memory card, small notepad and pen in there. I used a spray-on waterproofer but it didn't work real well so I just put the camera in a ziploc in the case during wet weather.