PDA

View Full Version : Money?

Blue J
01-11-2007, 16:59
I am new here, I am still in highschool and when I graduate me and my friend plan on hiking the trail. I really don't have alot of money but I have some and can work for more, but my question is what kind of range for money am I looking at and is there any way to get a sponsor or something like that to help out with equipment?

wilconow
01-11-2007, 17:00
a sponsor?

Lone Wolf
01-11-2007, 17:39
$3000 not including gear.

KG4FAM
01-11-2007, 17:49
Bare minimum $2k, $3K is a lot easier, I would want $4k so I dont have to think about it.

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2007, 18:14
I agree with what others have said; while it can be done on a shoestring, I think 3000-4500 dollars is about right for most folks.

While the "sponsorship" thing is a nice idea, be aware that there aren't many folks out there who offer this, and there are lots of folks looking.

You're better off to get a job (or more than one), work for awhile, save every dime you can, cut out on luxuries, and make your own money for the trip.

By the way, if you look in the "Articles" section of Whiteblaze, there's a great article by a guy named Weathercarrot that deals with hiking on a tight budget. Lots of good stuff there.

virtualfrog
01-11-2007, 18:16
All you need is a bandana, stick to hold bandana, extra socks, and a cup for pan-handling.

Seriously though, check out Dirtbagging (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15329) for ideas on cheaper gear if you haven't yet. Try to get your folks to cover mail costs, and do postal drops if you can. Work on dried food menus, and buy stuff when you see it on sale in preparation. Lots of other ideas...

virtualfrog
01-11-2007, 18:22
Man...I really should donate so I can edit.

Work on getting AT-related presents until you graduate. Simple lightweight gear that's not bells 'n' whistles type stuff.

Blue J
01-11-2007, 19:24
Well thanks guys, I am just hoping I can gather enough money.

Appalachian Tater
01-11-2007, 19:35
If you set a financial goal and work towards it, you can achieve it.

stumpy
01-11-2007, 19:43
I know the 3k to 4k sounds like a ton of money to a 17 year old, but you really can make it fairly easily if you get a job (or 2) and save, save, save! If you graduate next year you have a while to come up with the cash. If your senior this year you may need to think about selling a kidney or something.:-?

Jim Adams
01-11-2007, 19:45
I have done a few trips that I had sponsors and recieved gear for testing and also money. It is not a very easy thing to secure but usually you have to come up with something that has never been done ie: the 5 longest rivers in North America in 4 years, or something like bike, hike, paddle, horsepack, llama trek all on 1 year long trip, etc.
When you come up with something original, until you have built some type of reputation, make sure that it at least sounds do-able. I had one sponsor give me about $5000 of gear and $10,000 dollars with the attitude that "we don't think that you can do it but we want to be a part of it if you pull it off."
If you love the outdoors and want to spend a major part of your life out there and at times on the edge, you can do it and actually make a living but you need a reputation for finishing things first.
geek

icemanat95
01-11-2007, 20:32
I am new here, I am still in highschool and when I graduate me and my friend plan on hiking the trail. I really don't have alot of money but I have some and can work for more, but my question is what kind of range for money am I looking at and is there any way to get a sponsor or something like that to help out with equipment?

They used to say that 1 dollar a mile would do it. I think that's real optimistic these days.

The first question is how old are you or maybe more appropriately, how many more years of High School do you have? Like someone else said, if you are a senior, you are probably out of luck unless you can get a relative to float you a loan. You aren't likely to get a sponsor, just put that out of your mind right now, no-one is going to pay you to hike.

Do you have a job? If not, get one. Even a paper route will eventually add up so long as you aren't constantly dipping into the trough to pay for video game rentals, clothes you really don't need and gizmos that don't support your hike. Put it in the bank and forget you have it. If you've got a few years, think about putting the money into something really inaccessible like short term yield savings bonds...your bank can give you some options. The yield on these sorts of investment products is usually pretty low, but there is some interest and the money isn't readily available for you to spend irresponsibly.

How much junk food do you typically buy each week? How much do you spend out of pocket for soda, chips, hamburgers, pizza, cigarettes (of whatever type) etc.? All that money can be banked, or almost all of it. It costs a lot to eat at fast food joints, and beer and other intoxicants are just throwing money away for a teenager (illegal too). So save money there and get healthier besides.

What are you planning after high school? Going to college? Getting a job? Figure out if you can afford to work for a year to raise money before hitting the trail. I realize that some parents may not agree or support this so it may not be an option for you, but I'm just tossing it out there.

Make no mistake about it, you are going to need to sacrifice a bit to make this happen, but having worked to get there in the first place, you will relish the experience more.

Blue J
01-11-2007, 23:41
They used to say that 1 dollar a mile would do it. I think that's real optimistic these days.

The first question is how old are you or maybe more appropriately, how many more years of High School do you have? Like someone else said, if you are a senior, you are probably out of luck unless you can get a relative to float you a loan. You aren't likely to get a sponsor, just put that out of your mind right now, no-one is going to pay you to hike.

Do you have a job? If not, get one. Even a paper route will eventually add up so long as you aren't constantly dipping into the trough to pay for video game rentals, clothes you really don't need and gizmos that don't support your hike. Put it in the bank and forget you have it. If you've got a few years, think about putting the money into something really inaccessible like short term yield savings bonds...your bank can give you some options. The yield on these sorts of investment products is usually pretty low, but there is some interest and the money isn't readily available for you to spend irresponsibly.

How much junk food do you typically buy each week? How much do you spend out of pocket for soda, chips, hamburgers, pizza, cigarettes (of whatever type) etc.? All that money can be banked, or almost all of it. It costs a lot to eat at fast food joints, and beer and other intoxicants are just throwing money away for a teenager (illegal too). So save money there and get healthier besides.

What are you planning after high school? Going to college? Getting a job? Figure out if you can afford to work for a year to raise money before hitting the trail. I realize that some parents may not agree or support this so it may not be an option for you, but I'm just tossing it out there.

Make no mistake about it, you are going to need to sacrifice a bit to make this happen, but having worked to get there in the first place, you will relish the experience more.

Yes, I am a senior this year, so it is looking kind of bad, but my friend has the money and maybe I can get some from family as a graduation present. Either way, with that and a job I might be able to squeeze in enough money to do it........maybe. But thanks for the advice and pointers.

Bravo
01-11-2007, 23:59
Yes, I am a senior this year, so it is looking kind of bad, but my friend has the money and maybe I can get some from family as a graduation present. Either way, with that and a job I might be able to squeeze in enough money to do it........maybe. But thanks for the advice and pointers.

If your folks have it you can work the gradution present angle. Same goes for grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc if you've got em. You can also ask for early x-mas and birthday money for next year.

Or you can apply for a bunch of credit cards and go nuts for the next year. You'll probably have the time of your life destroying your credit and future.:D

n2o2diver
01-12-2007, 00:48
Or you can apply for a bunch of credit cards and go nuts for the next year. You'll probably have the time of your life destroying your credit and future.:D

Thats the American way. :rolleyes:

Grandma Dixie
01-12-2007, 14:18
I'm doing the same thing as you, starting my thru in february 07. I have about $1500 right now, but I got a new job that pays me $250 a week, so I should be pretty safe. Try to see if you can get your mom to match your savings. that's what mines doing. So I can now have $4000, instead of 2000, which is great.

Blue J
01-12-2007, 18:39
I'm doing the same thing as you, starting my thru in february 07. I have about $1500 right now, but I got a new job that pays me $250 a week, so I should be pretty safe. Try to see if you can get your mom to match your savings. that's what mines doing. So I can now have $4000, instead of 2000, which is great.

Ya, well my mom is not in key economic shape right now, I am not expecting anything from her.

iamscottym
01-12-2007, 21:48
Wow, I just realized that it's actually getting cheaper to hike the trail. Using '90 and $2000 as a benchmark, and 5% inflation compounded yearly- the trail should cost $4584 to hike today!

Blue J, not to be a wet blanket, but between needing cash for the hike, and gear for the hike, I'd say it's not looking good at your end.

virtualfrog
01-13-2007, 00:31
You'll be 18 or 19. What's the worst that could happen? You'll run out of cash, and need to hitch a ride back home?

I'd say go for it, as long as you can get some basic gear together. It might not be the most comfortable, lightest, or whatever. Gear can be cheap/minimal. Read up on Grandma Gatewood and some of the other AT/Long Trail pioneers. You don't need much.

Food: Try to get loans from friends, other relatives, or even trusted teachers. Work, etc,.... Don't count on ever staying in town, or regularly eating restaurant meals, etc,....

If it matters enough to you, make it work. It all depends on if this is your Capital-D Dream or not.

Blue J
01-13-2007, 17:02
You'll be 18 or 19. What's the worst that could happen? You'll run out of cash, and need to hitch a ride back home?

I'd say go for it, as long as you can get some basic gear together. It might not be the most comfortable, lightest, or whatever. Gear can be cheap/minimal. Read up on Grandma Gatewood and some of the other AT/Long Trail pioneers. You don't need much.

Food: Try to get loans from friends, other relatives, or even trusted teachers. Work, etc,.... Don't count on ever staying in town, or regularly eating restaurant meals, etc,....

If it matters enough to you, make it work. It all depends on if this is your Capital-D Dream or not.

Ya, me and my friend are committed to going, so no matter what we are, but I also get 200 dollars a month for child support until I'm 21 from my dad, so that will help along the way for food and stuff.

ImkerVS
01-13-2007, 23:43
How about E-Bay?

You can always add a message to the stuff you sell, telling them why you're a seller. There are ways during a completed sale when you can invite them to visit a web page and even make a contribution.

I did an experiment last fall. I went to a garage sale with $5. My intent was to see what I could get and sell on E-bay. I bought three books, and 2 DVDs, and sold them all for a profit, after expenses, of $23.

fonsie
01-16-2007, 12:17
start dehydrating your food, have your parents do mail drops. I would never get a sponser because I just get out there and do my own adventures. Im doing my thru hike this march and but you need to just get out there and do it. Money, well hopefully your family and parents will give you a good amount of money for graduation. You can do it for 2,000 to 3,000 ....but you need to get some cheap gear . I seen people do it with a 300 budget for gear. just got to shop around.

virtualfrog
01-16-2007, 15:13
Backpackinglight.com has a thread on 15lb base weight 3 season gear for sub $300. You might want to poke around for it on the forums there.

Dancer
01-16-2007, 17:31
I assume that you live with your parents. Make the most of that. Really squirrel away that $250 a week. Take your lunch to school every day and if you drive to school try car-pooling to save your gas money. Ebay old gamesystems (I know you've got them), CDs, DVDs, sports equipment and other stuff you don't use anymore.

Do odd-jobs when you aren't working. Talk to people and get your parents to talk to people they know. You will be surprised how many oppurtunities will arrise with a little networking. Also, keep your eye out for a better job.

Do this while you are still relatively responsibility free. The older you get the harder it will be to seperate from the real world lon enough to do it.

rafe
01-16-2007, 17:54
I can't go by the title of this thread without thinking of the Cindy Lauper tune... Money Changes Everything (http://www.lyricsdomain.com/3/cindy_lauper/money_changes_everything.html).

mindi
01-24-2007, 13:40
I'm hitting the trail with about $2K (give or take) not including gear costs. I'll let you know how it goes. Check out weathercarrot's article. I tend to think that resupply in town will be cheaper for me than maildrops, but that's only if you are DISCIPLINED about not spending tons of money in trail towns. I'm hoping I will be.

:) Mindi

4eyedbuzzard
01-24-2007, 14:18
I can't go by the title of this thread without thinking of the Cindy Lauper tune... Money Changes Everything (http://www.lyricsdomain.com/3/cindy_lauper/money_changes_everything.html).

From a slightly different angle:

"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains." - Rousseau

Money does have a way of loosening that which binds us, doesn't it?

Sly
01-24-2007, 14:27
Backpackinglight.com has a thread on 15lb base weight 3 season gear for sub $300. You might want to poke around for it on the forums there.

Sgt Rock did a similar post here...

Spirit Walker
01-24-2007, 18:15
I assume that you live with your parents. Make the most of that. Really squirrel away that $250 a week. Take your lunch to school every day and if you drive to school try car-pooling to save your gas money. Ebay old gamesystems (I know you've got them), CDs, DVDs, sports equipment and other stuff you don't use anymore.

I wish I had your parents. $1000/month? When I was in high school (and college) I was given $20 month. Anything else I earned babysitting at $0.50/hour. In college I got minimum wage - $1.65 I think. I learned to be really frugal. I never would have been able to do a hike on the money I received from family and jobs. It did teach me a lot about how to save though.

Fannypack
01-24-2007, 18:23
I'm hitting the trail with about $2K (give or take) not including gear costs. I'll let you know how it goes. Check out weathercarrot's article. I tend to think that resupply in town will be cheaper for me than maildrops, but that's only if you are DISCIPLINED about not spending tons of money in trail towns. I'm hoping I will be.

The problem for me is getting in & out of town when many of my peers are staying overnite.. U can get sucked in easily, especially when u are sharing a room. Obviously splitting the room cost is a good thing but then u will spend more money eating while staying overnite...

U will need to learn to be a loner, in & out, or get someone to acompany u in & out. This is just an observation, u know yourself better than me.

Have a great hike.

Frosty
01-24-2007, 20:05
You sound old. That must have been a long time ago when hiking the trail was presumably cheaper, too. Min wage here is mass. is $7.50/hr.Yeah, it was a while back. When I worked in New Bedford in 1971 I got $1.65 an hour in an old factory that made mens suits.

RAT
01-24-2007, 20:14
Good luck to ya`ll BlueJ I hope this comes true for you. What I wouldnt give to be your age and in your position again. Give it your best shot, but remember dont get discouraged if you dont make it caz only 200+ out of 2000+ will and it wont be caz they ran out of money or didnt have the right gear. "It takes more head than heel" ;-) Keep us posted on your journey.

RAT

mindi
01-25-2007, 00:09
I am a bit of a loner, Fannypack, so I think that will help. I'm definitely looking forward to meeting people on the trail and forming friendships, but I'd rather not get caught up in a set group and feel the need to change my pace or take zeroes that I don't want/need in order to stay with certain people. If I DO want to take a zero, I will, regardless of the company.

Fannypack
01-25-2007, 00:19
I am a bit of a loner, Fannypack, so I think that will help. I'm definitely looking forward to meeting people on the trail and forming friendships, but I'd rather not get caught up in a set group and feel the need to change my pace or take zeroes that I don't want/need in order to stay with certain people. If I DO want to take a zero, I will, regardless of the company.

sounds good... I was not in very good shape when i started and had only done one overnite before starting a thru-hike attempt in 1996, so i was definitely into town stops. But since i was hikign with my father, we only took 6 zero days in the 1st 830 miles. My father's motto was: "We are out here to hike not take days off!"

the_iceman
01-25-2007, 08:59
Think about this. I have raised thousands of $ for the charity bike rides I did every year. But after 5 years it got harder and harder and the last year I rode I was $900 short a few weeks before the ride.

So I got my kids (teenagers at the time) and we made up cans, got permission from the local grocery store and “panhandled” for a cause on Memorial Day weekend. We started at 10:00 and hit our goal ($900) by 1:00 pm. Granted we had a good cause but packaged properly you may get more help than you think.

We tried to tell people to see us on the way out and just save us their change. At first I was trying to keep the coins out of the cans to encourage bigger donations but when I added things up we had $125 in just quarters.

“HELP BLUE J ON HIS BIG ADVENTURE”

icemanat95
01-25-2007, 09:48
Panhandling for a real charity is one thing, but a thru-hike is a vacation. Pan handling for a vacation is NOT right.

If you are going to seek sponsorships, you better be doing something good with the trip, like putting forth a real educational mission where you talk to school groups along the way or something about the dangers of smoking, or climate change or invasive species.

Another point....consider making up a list of gear that you need and posting it. I guarantee you that there are folks here who have used, but entirely serviceable gear that they are willing to part with cheaply. Myself, I have a Sweetwater water filter pump and a Coleman Apex stove sitting around doing nothing. Both are entirely serviceable. The stove is not the lightest thing in the universe, but it simmers extremely well, is very stable thanks to an adjustable leg and served me very well from Amicolola Falls State Park all the way to Gorham, New Hampshire. I'll give you the filter pump and sell the stove and bottle for 25.00. Of course you could also save that 25.00 and make yourself an alcohol burner. Slower cooking, but lighter and less expensive.

Others may have other items you need such as retired backpacks that just need a touch of TLC, maybe even a tent or two, but learning how to use a tarp reasonably comfortably will save your weight and money (tarps are cheap. )

Equipment doesn't have to be expensive. Resupplying in towns is probably less expensive than maildrops, but you need to be flexible.

The Child Support money will cover a lot of ground for you. It'll cover a lot of your food costs. You'll need more than that. so bank as much of your paycheck as you can. Taking all that into account, you really aren't in that bad shape. Some old gear donations or used gear purchases will gear you up pretty quick and you'll be on your way. Sure it'll be a frugal hike, but that's cool too.

carolina trekker
01-25-2007, 11:33
Enlist in the military, take a defered reporting time, and use the enlistment bonus that they give you to take your hike. That should cover most of your costs. Just understand where your obligation will be once you finish your hike.

icemanat95
01-25-2007, 11:47
Wrong damned answer.

Join the military if you really want to join the military, not as a tool for making a quick buck. Military life is HARD, and not likely to ease up any time soon. Regardless of branch of service or MOS, you could expect to be deployed into a danger zone or worked like a dog in support of those who are deployed. A noble and honorable life, but HARD. If you really don't want to be there, it's miserable.

Also, the contract enlistment commitment is 8 years. You may sign up with an active duty commitment of as little as 2 or 3 years, but you are commited to the needs of the service, and if, at the end of your 2-3 year active duty hitch, the military has a shortage of folks in your MOS during a wartime period, you can be put on stop-loss until either the crisis is over, or the MOS fills up sufficiently for them to let you go. They can hold you up to the full 8 years of your contract commitment if necessary. In practice, stop loss rarely will hold a person more than a couple years past the end of their active duty commitment, but it's possible and people are being held over under stop-loss right now.

Deferred entry can be limited. I went in under deferred entry, enlisting in the Fall and entering service in early January, that was considered a long deferral. You are not likely to get a six month deferral unless you are enlisting for an MOS that is desperate to fill slots.

A lot of military AT hikers do their hikes after separating from active duty, taking their separation pay and any saved leave, etc. to fund the trip.

Green Bean
01-25-2007, 11:49
^ dang man youre lucky. put that money in the bank! I'm in highschool (my junior year) and i decided ahhhh about 2 years ago that i wanted to thru high. DEcided to do it in 2009 - gives me time after i graduate to exercise, plan, ect,. I do a lot of backpacking and my parents love it and help me out alot. so thats where most of my support comes from now and is going to come from during my thru. After im done with my hike whenver it is i am going to go to my area community college for a year or two then transfer out to a college.

I got a job: i landscape during the summer making 9 bucks an hour. so right there if i put every pay check away i would have enough money just in 2 months of summer for my thru. but im a kid and like to spend money so of course i spent money. but i still put some in my bank. I have a job during the school at the local grociery store and now during the year i don't really spend to much money so most of its going into the savings.

I hike: I try to get out into the woods as much as possible to just get used to me gear and just learn as much as possible. I try ot get out evrytime i have a day or two of school off. leave the first day of break come back the last. we usuually have a monday or friday off around every other month so i go out for 2 nights 3 days. Even if i dont go hiking i try to just go camping just to get out into the woods. fun stuff.

Goodluck man hope to see you on the trail. ~GB

Green Bean
01-25-2007, 11:51
Ya, me and my friend are committed to going, so no matter what we are, but I also get 200 dollars a month for child support until I'm 21 from my dad, so that will help along the way for food and stuff.

this is what i was saying about put the money in the bank about. I wish i would went to the last page. ~GB

OntheRoad
01-25-2007, 13:13
I don't really know you exact situation, but I am selling my truck for money and will just buy a geo metro with the few hundred dollars I have left over. :sun

Creek Dancer
01-25-2007, 14:16
You might have some money out there that you don't know about! Check out missingmoney.com to find out if your state(s) are holding any unclaimed property (i.e., money, stock) for you.

Check to be sure your state is included in the missingmoney.com database. If not, you will have to check with that state's unclaimed property division. You might want to check the names of your relatives also, deceased and living.

Good hunting!