PDA

View Full Version : Howdy Folks!!

glitch
01-11-2007, 20:30
I just recently graduated college and have decided to make an attempt at a thru-hike this year, NOBO. I've got my gear together, for the most part. Just obsessing about the last few items I should/shouldn't take and food, which is really starting to drive me nuts. I plan to start the trail on or around March 1st, depending entirely upon the weather at the time. I'm not huge on snow as I'm going w/ a Hennessy Hammock for my 'tent' and I've heard they don't do too well in the cold. Anyways, just figured I should introduce myself so I wasn't some 'lurker'. Hope to see all you folks on the trail in March!

Pacific Tortuga
01-11-2007, 20:35
:welcome Good to see ya here, take care and good hiking.

bigcranky
01-11-2007, 21:45
Hey, Glitch,

Welcome. Don't obsess, just carry 3-4 days of food and start walking. Have fun. You can resupply at Neel Gap, and then figure out what you need and where to get it. Look in the Articles section for a great list of resupply points.

glitch
01-11-2007, 21:56
I'm making almost all of my own food which means re-supply won't really be a problem. Right now I'm thinking that I'll probably carry at least two weeks of food with me at any one time to avoid having to hike into every town I pass. I wasn't too keen on the whole mac&cheese/ramen diet that most of the hikers seem to be all about these days. But, thanks for the well-wishes, I'll definitely be needing them along the way. :)

Paul Bunyan
01-11-2007, 22:01
Two weeks of food at a time?

That sounds like a bit too much.

Bravo
01-11-2007, 22:04
Two weeks of food at a time?

That sounds like a bit too much.

If everything's dehydrated and the rest of the gear is light then it's fine. I don't always do it but I've carried 10 days before no problem.

glitch
01-11-2007, 22:09
That's the plan, my Dad and I have been experimenting with our dehydrator and so far the meals are turning out great. Our latest creation that worked out was a rice version of chicken alfredo.

Paul Bunyan
01-11-2007, 22:09
[quote=glitch;302129]...I'm not huge on snow as I'm going w/ a Hennessy Hammock for my 'tent' and I've heard they don't do too well in the cold....quote]

If you dont like snow, be carefull around the smokies, good chance you might have snow.

glitch
01-11-2007, 22:11
I might look into getting a tent shipped to me at that point in my hike. I personally don't have any problems in snow but a lot of the people I've talked to who use Hennessy Hammocks say they don't do so well in really cold weather. Too much heat exchange because of the air around you I guess.