PDA

View Full Version : gear check-off list

mountain squid
01-11-2007, 21:14
No, not mine:). I know many are gathering their gear prior to heading North, so I made a one page check-off list that might be helpful to some. I looked in the Articles area, but didn’t find a simple, printable list. I don’t carry all this and don’t expect that anyone would. Just listed the basic items to help in case you didn’t think about something. If you know you are not going to carry an item just cross it off.

I know that within a few days this will be buried, but what the hey, here it is:

The MS Word version is easier to read, but, of course, you must have MS Word.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

rafe
01-11-2007, 21:18
Everybody ought to have their own list. And check your kit against it before any big hike. OK to leave half of it at home -- but be sure you've at least considered every item on the list. The list changes over time. Eg., mine no longer includes "35 film" or gaiters or stove repair kit.

copythat
01-12-2007, 00:58
ok, this is probably the peak of compulsive behavior ...

... i made an excel spreadsheet of EVERYthing i own -- mine and my daughters' -- including weight. and i mean EVERYthing. even things i hate.

when i need to prepare for a jaunt, i make a copy of the spreadsheet and delete the lines with the things i WON'T be taking, so i end up with a list all the things i WILL be taking, and then i print a copy and check things off as i pack them.

one cool thing is that the program calculates the weight for each category (shelter, clothes, yada yada) and for the total, with and without food/fuel/water, so i know exactly what i'm heading out with withOUT standing on the bathroom scale.

(i have a similar list for grocery shopping, too. i probably shouldn't admit that, should i.)