PDA

View Full Version : close call

copythat
01-11-2007, 21:50
BC-MA--Hikers Found,0309!
Two hikers rescued from frigid Mount Adams!
Eds: Mass. angle throughout.!
By DAVID TIRRELL-WYSOCKI"
Associated Press Writer"
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Two hikers, including one from Massachusetts, were rescued from deadly conditions on New Hampshire's Mount Adams early Thursday, and an elderly man was found after spending a night lost in the woods in Swanzey.
In the White Mountains, two hikers became disoriented in blinding snow Wednesday afternoon on Mount Adams and called 911, said Fish and Game Lt. Douglas Gralenski. With the hikers' cell phone dying, Fish and Game determined a general location, then advised the two to hunker down out of the wind and wait for help.
“The temperature bottomed out at 14 below,” Gralenski said. “They were in killer conditions.”
A search team from Fish and Game, the Randolph Mountain Club and Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue headed out with temperatures dipping below zero and winds blowing at about 70 mph.
They found Wayne Rodriguez, 50, of Westfield, Mass., and Janice Doubleday, 55, of Hiram, Maine, just before 1 a.m., staying warm in a sleeping bag.
“It was a life-threatening situation,” Gralenski said. “They probably would have survived the night, but whether they would have survived the descent down the mountain — that's an issue we'll probably never know.”
Gralenski said even though the two were well-equipped, they easily could have fallen victim to hypothermia on their way down, leading to poor decisions and injuries.
The search team hiked with the two to a shelter below tree line, and after some rest and warm food, hiked several hours off the mountain Thursday morning.
Meanwhile, in Swanzey in the southwestern corner of the state, Walter Calkins, 85, suffered mild hypothermia, but otherwise was fine and walking when searchers found him Thursday morning. The search began Wednesday afternoon when he did not return from a hike.
Officials believe the layers of clothing Calkins was wearing helped protect him from cold.
AP-ES-01-11-07 2031EST!

4eyedbuzzard
01-12-2007, 14:01
I saw this on the local news last night. The good thing is that these hikers were pretty well prepared from a safety standpoint and were able to survive the storm as a result. They could, however, have shown better judgment of both their abilities and the weather by choosing NOT to hike/climb(or continue) into terrain and under conditions that was above their ability to navigate. Their choice put both them and the rescue team at risk. Every year, without fail, even experienced people who know the dangers put themselves and rescue parties at risk in these mountains. Any hike or climb that ends with a 911 call and/or rescue party usually has at it's root cause ignoring conditions and over-estimating ability. Yet another lesson(this one thankfully with a happy ending) on the dangers of the Whites. These two were lucky.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Another current story(also with happy ending):
January 11, 2007
Bear Mountain, NY - Rescuers spent five hours working to save two 19-year-old Bronx men who were trapped on a sheer mountain cliff behind Bear Mountain Inn Tuesday.
Amir Arabi and Louis Padilla called 911 on a cell phone shortly after 5 p.m. to report they were stuck and needed help.
State park rangers and Fort Montgomery firefighters specially trained to perform such rescues brought the two to safety at about 10 p.m., Palisades Park police officials said.
Arabi and Padilla were climbing in a restricted area and were issued tickets for failing to use designated trails, a violation punishable by a fine, officials said. The two were not injured.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Cell phones may have saved the lives of both of these parties, but it appears that reliance on these devices may lead some to making marginal and downright poor decisions regarding safety.

If you wouldn't do it without a cell phone, don't do it - period.

Michele
01-12-2007, 14:08
I also think a lot of people have that "it could never happen to me" mentality too. Really glad everyone was ok.

Lilred
01-12-2007, 16:36
I also think a lot of people have that "it could never happen to me" mentality too. Really glad everyone was ok.

I have the opposite mentality. I figure if it can happen, it will probably happen to me.

Glad all those folks made it. I know my limitations, and hiking in winter is it.

maxNcathy
01-15-2007, 18:23
I have the opposite mentality. I figure if it can happen, it will probably happen to me.

Glad all those folks made it. I know my limitations, and hiking in winter is it.

Did you learn from Daniel B. ?

It's a very cold day so I will hike in May. LOL

It is smart to play it safe.