PDA

View Full Version : Question About Weights...

glitch
01-11-2007, 21:52
I've gotten all my gear together and packed it all up. In the end I'm looking to be carrying 40 to 45 lbs. depending on the season. From what I've been reading that seems to be a little more than most people. That worries me. The only thing is I've been training for a month now with a consistent pack weight of 50 lbs., meaning I hike at least a mile or two every day (except Sundays) and haven't had any problems. So, my question is what's going on? I refuse to believe that it has anything to do with age, granted I'm young but I'm not 'in shape'. I played sports all through high school but then drank and smoked cigarettes all through college (quit those since the new year rolled around and still going strong). Am I just a weirdo? Any and all comments/help would be appreciated. I don't really need to find out two weeks into the trail that 40 lbs. weighs more at higher elevations or something... ;)

Bravo
01-11-2007, 22:02
If the weight doesn't bother you than don't worry about it. That being said, 1-2 miles a day is very different than 15+. When you do your training what's the terrain like??? The AT is like a roller coaster up and down.

Personally I have carried 50-60lb packs before but that sucks for me. I hurt and it's no fun. Maybe you're stronger than me though. I assume one's size is a factor too. If you're 6'4" 280lbs then what's a 50lb pack?

I'm only about 140 lbs so anything over 30lbs becomes work. As long as I keep it under 30 I'm enjoying more than working. Just my 2 cents.

2009ThruHiker
01-11-2007, 22:03
WHILE I've not a thru-hiker (hopefully 2009), I think it would be wise to do a few days of hiking at your current weight, 6-8 mile days. Or you can always re-think your pack load at your first re-supply point during your thru-hike. Better to have too much than not enough in my opinion.
Here's the scoop on the first man to hike the PCT:
"Eric Ryback, popularly known as the first person to hike the length of the PCT, carried an 80-pound pack on his 1970 thru-hike. He had only five resupply packages on the entire trip, and was loaded with 40 pounds of food at the start of each leg. He often ran out of food and foraged or went hungry."
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HIKE!:banana

glitch
01-11-2007, 22:06
About a half-mile of my daily routine is a 'hill', or what passes for one in the area where I live. We're about 300ft below sea-lvl so there's not too many real hills to be found. That being said I've hiked a decent amount in the Shenandoahs, including portions of the AT, and never really had a problem. Also, in reply to the size comment/discussion, I'm under 6ft tall (5'11" if you ask me) and weigh 170 lbs. I'm not a big guy but I don't consider myself to be little either. Thanks for the advice! Keep it comin'!

maxNcathy
01-11-2007, 22:22
Try for 20% of your body weight or less if you can.

rafe
01-11-2007, 22:45
If you're weeks away from starting a thru-hike, stick with what you've got, and make adjustments along the way.

40-50 pound pack weights were nothing unusual 10, 15 years ago. There's been a trend toward lighter gear since then, and that's equally sensible. Going light takes skill, practice, dollars, and even a bit of (calculated) risk and hardship. Everyone's got to make their own choice of where to be on that scale -- and take responsibility for their choice.

Socrates
01-11-2007, 23:35
With food, my pack weight is going to be about 40 pounds... So, to lighten the load, I've decided to hike naked. :eek:

Bravo
01-11-2007, 23:37
With food, my pack weight is going to be about 40 pounds... So, to lighten the load, I've decided to hike naked. :eek:

Don't forget to shave your body too. Huge weight difference and you'll be more aerodynamic.:D

Socrates
01-11-2007, 23:56
I just bought a comfy little 8oz pillow. It's going with me, don't try to talk me out of it! I would sleep on my pack, but it's the size of an elephant and won't work. My clothing is so minimal and light that I may as well sleep on a cotton ball. And that ziplock bag thing I've heard about? Nah, I'll stick with my pillow! I think it will fit perfectly in my sleeping bag!

Bravo
01-12-2007, 00:00
I just bought a comfy little 8oz pillow. It's going with me, don't try to talk me out of it! I would sleep on my pack, but it's the size of an elephant and won't work. My clothing is so minimal and light that I may as well sleep on a cotton ball. And that ziplock bag thing I've heard about? Nah, I'll stick with my pillow! I think it will fit perfectly in my sleeping bag!

I always hike with a pillow. When you're not hiking you're sleeping. You might as well enjoy it.

handlebar
01-12-2007, 00:13
About a half-mile of my daily routine is a 'hill', or what passes for one in the area where I live. We're about 300ft below sea-lvl so there's not too many real hills to be found. That being said I've hiked a decent amount in the Shenandoahs, including portions of the AT, and never really had a problem. Also, in reply to the size comment/discussion, I'm under 6ft tall (5'11" if you ask me) and weigh 170 lbs. I'm not a big guy but I don't consider myself to be little either. Thanks for the advice! Keep it comin'!

Don't worry about the weight. I started out at 42 lbs with 5 days food and 2 liters of water. The food and water weigh in at about 17 lbs so that made my base about 25lbs. Managed to trim maybe 2 lbs off the base over the course of my 06 thru (mostly by cutting back on excess clothes), but didn't want to give up luxuries such as full-length thermarest 4. I was about 175 and 6' at start of hike as well and had the old bones, knees, and feet of a 60 year old.

Incidentally, I'm planning to somehow cut out about 5 lbs for my '08 PCT attempt. Probably will dump such things as extra batteries, reduce weight of hygiene items, exchange high gaiters for low, replace my simmerlite and pot/cozy with a lighter stove, replace my nalgenes with gatorade bottles, trim way back on my first aid kit weight, maybe look at a lighter tent, maybe go back to a zrest or a 3/4 len thermarest. Each provides a only a few ounces of savings, but taken together they add up. You'll figure out what to trim as you walk and probably have a few things to send home at Walasi-Yi after 5 days.

Enjoy your hike!

Frosty
01-12-2007, 00:20
I just bought a comfy little 8oz pillow. It's going with me, don't try to talk me out of it! Try one of these at 1/2 ounce. I can't sleep on my back, and need a pillow to sleep on my side. Like you, Packs don't cut it for me. These do.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/flexair_ultralight_pillow.html