PDA

View Full Version : section hike from Erwin Tenn to Laurel Fork Gorge

smknjo
01-11-2007, 22:19
Im planning a section hike from Erwin Tenn to Laurel fork gorge area.Can anyone give me any info on this section,Miles....difficulty of hike,shelters etc...Thanks

Lone Wolf
01-11-2007, 22:23
Im planning a section hike from Erwin Tenn to Laurel fork gorge area.Can anyone give me any info on this section,Miles....difficulty of hike,shelters etc...Thanks

Just over 70 miles. 8 shelters. not too tough. very scenic.

smknjo
01-11-2007, 22:57
Thanks,does dennis cove rd cut any off these miles if I stop there as opposed to going on to the gorge?..I cant seem to find a detailed map,do you suggest wingfoot or another guide book?...Smknjo

Groucho
01-11-2007, 23:41
Thanks,does dennis cove rd cut any off these miles if I stop there as opposed to going on to the gorge?..I cant seem to find a detailed map,do you suggest wingfoot or another guide book?...Smknjo

Very nice sections. The TN/NC guidebook should have the info you need. The TN Eastman site (http://www.tehcc.org/A.T.info.htm)has some info, but the clearest map they have does not show the road to Dennis Cove from Hampton, which is via paved USFS 50, reaching Rt. 321 in Hampton in 4.1 mi.

On the AT 2.7 mi. after Dennis Cove there is a blue-blazed trail leading 1.0 mi. to a parking area on 321. I have read about vandalism at this lot, but not anything lately.

Groucho
01-11-2007, 23:43

Very nice sections. The TN/NC guidebook should have the info you need. The TN Eastman site (http://www.tehcc.org/A.T.info.htm)has some info, but the clearest map they have does not show the road to Dennis Cove from Hampton, which is paved USFS 50, reaching Rt. 321 in Hampton in 4.1 mi.

On the AT 2.7 mi. after Dennis Cove there is a blue-blazed trail leading 1.0 mi. to a parking area on 321. I have read about vandalism at this lot, but not anything lately.

Edit: Didn't know I doubled!? Adding that the average climb per mile for this trip would be 270', if my Maptec is correct.

rafe
01-11-2007, 23:44
Just over 70 miles. 8 shelters. not too tough. very scenic.

Quite so. And wisely avoiding Pond Mtn. ;) (No offense to purists and Pond Mountain lovers.)

Jim Adams
01-12-2007, 00:53
maybe the prettiest section south of Virginia.
geek

rafe
01-12-2007, 01:22
maybe the prettiest section south of Virginia.
geek

?? Laurel Falls is still 45 miles from the VA border ??

MedicineMan
01-12-2007, 03:56
so dont write it off completely...you can see the Roan from it and also Watagua Lake (assuming the leaves are off the trees) and there is a pond on top during wet weather.

RAT
01-12-2007, 04:10
Pond mountain has a new relo and is not that bad. I dont see all the hype about it. Very nice area on the way up (rhodo tunnels, cliffs, views, etc) to take your mind off the climb and awesome on top (can see fossils "skolithus" up there in rocks right on trail by spring on top) , and the new relo is gravy train coming down to the lake. Much better than going down that blue blaze to hampton and walking the road up IMO unless you really need to go there (food, The Castle, etc, altho I always find it an easy hitch from the lake to town and back ;) ). There is also an awesome side trail off the top before you get to the firetower above dennis cove that takes ya down to Frog Level with some more falls and can walk out the entire gorge to deniis cove road, is really nice but does have several river crossings. Laurel Falls are nice as ever.

RAT

bigcranky
01-12-2007, 08:15
The new Tennessee/NC maps are very nice, and have most of the detail you'll need. The databook or the Companion will provide even more. You can leave your car at Kincora Hostel on Dennis Cove Road and get a shuttle down to Erwin to start. That's a safe spot, and Kincora is one of the nicest hostels on the trail.

I'm not so sure I'd call it an easy section -- the climb over Big Hump southbound sure kicked my butt. Lots of big mountains and beautiful views from the balds. Wonderful section.

smknjo
01-12-2007, 16:54
where do i get the maps?...Smknjo

Bloodroot
01-12-2007, 17:03

http://www.atctrailstore.org/

rafe
01-12-2007, 17:06

Here (http://www.atctrailstore.org/) or at your local outfitters.