PDA

View Full Version : Q. for Vapor Trail users...

rafe
01-12-2007, 00:44
Do you use the internal hydration sack as intended? Doesn't that make the pad bulge out (vertically) in the center?

Does the pad shape matter? I would think it ought to be flat.

In a perfect world, I'd want it to be concave a bit so as to wrap around the back. But I don't see that happening on this pack, by any means.

SteveJ
01-12-2007, 00:49
Do you use the internal hydration sack as intended? Doesn't that make the pad bulge out (vertically) in the center?

Does the pad shape matter? I would think it ought to be flat.

In a perfect world, I'd want it to be concave a bit so as to wrap around the back. But I don't see that happening on this pack, by any means.

Hi, Terrapin. I've used a GGVT for about 3 years. I use the back as intended - as a matter of fact it's sitting by me right now packed for a weekend trip. I usually start a trip w/ a 2L platy in the pack. I've never noticed before that, with the platy in, the pad does round out a little - I just double checked because I didn't expect to see that.... When I get the pack on, and cinch everything down, I don't notice this at all, tho, and cant tell the difference with the pack on between having water in the sleeve or not being in the sleeve.

hammock engineer
01-12-2007, 03:31
I have used it on day hikes and it has felt just fine. I have not used my VT and hydration pouch for mulitple days.

Pokey2006
01-12-2007, 03:40
I don't use a hydration bladder, so I used that pouch to store a journal, maps and guidebooks and sometimes a magazine or two. Papers kept pretty dry in there.

I add to this thread to give a word of caution -- the stitches near the top my pouch started coming apart after a couple months. Now, there's almost no pocket left. Mind you, this is heavy, thru-hiking use...but, still, use the pocket gently. And be prepared to do some sewing in the field.

hammock engineer
01-12-2007, 03:45
I don't use a hydration bladder, so I used that pouch to store a journal, maps and guidebooks and sometimes a magazine or two. Papers kept pretty dry in there.

I add to this thread to give a word of caution -- the stitches near the top my pouch started coming apart after a couple months. Now, there's almost no pocket left. Mind you, this is heavy, thru-hiking use...but, still, use the pocket gently. And be prepared to do some sewing in the field.

Interesting as I have not seen any problems with my VT. I am not going to use it for my thru. I ordered a gear skin and it VT can not handle the bulk for my gear. But I think it would hold up to a thru. But I also only use it on day hikes right now.

Pokey2006
01-12-2007, 04:03
Some people have had durability issues with the VT. Don't get me wrong -- it's a great pack and I love mine. You just have to try not to abuse it, and most importantly, DON'T OVERLOAD IT. Most issues I've heard about were from overloading, then stitches coming out from the top of the straps. Ya, I'm guilty of overloading as well...easy to do when you're trying to pack 5+ days of food...

I'm kinda curious now how many people use that pocket for their water bladders, and how well it's worked for them. Someday, I may make the switch away from my water filter/bottle.

gumball
01-12-2007, 06:33
I have used the Vapor Ki (women's version) with a 2L bladder in place for a summer of some lenghty sections without any problem or discomforts.

gum

rafe
01-12-2007, 08:42
Let me re-ask or re-steer the thread a bit: I'm mostly concerned about the shape of the pad that's against the back. Regardless of hydration sack --- is it curved? Is it relatively flat? Do you pay attention to this? Does it matter?

I mean, the VT has what I'd call a "minimal" suspension -- so it stands to reason that the pad shape might change depending on how the pack is filled and stuffed, etc.

Booley
01-12-2007, 08:50
TT, with a full 2 liter bladder it is curved some, but it's not uncomfortable. Once you drink it down, the shape goes back down to normal. when you refill though, you really don't seem to notice it that much (besides weight and how stuffed you have your pack).

PJ 2005
01-12-2007, 09:24
terrapin, the way you pack it affects the shape more than a normal pack, to be sure. I found that it was most comfortable with my fleece on the bottom, then my sleeping bag, then the rest on top. That created a little bit of curve and was more comfortable than my osprey aether 75.

Footslogger
01-12-2007, 09:27
[quote=terrapin_too;302296]Do you use the internal hydration sack as intended? Doesn't that make the pad bulge out (vertically) in the center?

I tried it and found it impractical. Didn't like wrestling the bladder in and out of the sleeve with the pack full and refused to empty the pack just to get to it. Instead, I take a 1.8 Liter Platy and lay it horizontally on the pack and roll the storm shield around it, then I clip the straps over it. Works like a champ and is very accessible.

'Slogger

rafe
01-12-2007, 09:31
FWIW, the reason I ask is because of back pains on this last weekend's hike... first time out with the vapor trail, and it was lightly loaded (pack + load = 23 lbs max. including food and water.) 13 miles of relatively easy trail. See related thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20368) for more details. There's something fundamental about internal frame packs that I'm just not getting. Got to learn to live with the VT... or ditch it.

Footslogger
01-12-2007, 09:40
FWIW, the reason I ask is because of back pains on this last weekend's hike... first time out with the vapor trail, and it was lightly loaded (pack + load = 23 lbs max. including food and water.) 13 miles of relatively easy trail. See related thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20368) for more details. There's something fundamental about internal frame packs that I'm just not getting. Got to learn to live with the VT... or ditch it.

=======================================

Guess for every hiker there is that one backpack that just feels right. The VT might not be for everyone but by far it is the most comfortable pack I have ever carried. The trick is keeping the load at or under 26lbs and distributing the load so that it carries well.

Granite Gear has their act together when it comes to lightweight packs. Just what you need and nothing you don't. Not a pack full of bells/whistles and many complain that the outside pouches are small. But it gets the job done.

Beginning to pull things together for my PCT hike and planning to move up to the GG Nimbus Ozone because I envision having to carry loads in the 30+ pound range.

'Slogger

Ridge Rat
01-12-2007, 09:48
I can't remember, is the VT framed? I have been using the GG Virga the past few weeks and one major issue is there is no frame but your sleeping pad. This makes for creative packing to get the lumps just right on your back. First few days trying it out was a pain, but once I figured out how to make it comfortable for me with the packing the back pain went away. The Virga is one of the best weekend packs I have used. But they are right, GG figured out weight limits and sticking to them is paramount. 20 pounds is painful with virga, 17 is the most comfortable packs I own.

rafe
01-12-2007, 09:53
I can't remember, is the VT framed?

Just barely. It has a high-density polyethylene (HDPE) sheet for a frame. Rated at 30 lbs. I was using it with a 21-lb load (23 lbs including pack.)

Footslogger
01-12-2007, 09:54
[quote=Ridge Rat;302406]I can't remember, is the VT framed?

========================================

No ...it has a HDPE frame sheet and a half inch of foam sewn into the back of the pack for padding.

'Slogger

halfnatural
01-12-2007, 23:08
Let me re-ask or re-steer the thread a bit: I'm mostly concerned about the shape of the pad that's against the back. Regardless of hydration sack --- is it curved? Is it relatively flat? Do you pay attention to this? Does it matter?

I mean, the VT has what I'd call a "minimal" suspension -- so it stands to reason that the pad shape might change depending on how the pack is filled and stuffed, etc.

I've not noticed the pad changing shape and causing pain, with or without a bladder. I guess I've not paid attention to this. Whenever I've experienced back pain with a pack (I've never had this with the GG pack, but with others I've used), I've learned to re-pack/re-distribute, tighten the load down once its packed, and make whatever adjustments are necessary once I'm moving, usually some very slight tugs and pulls on the various straps until the pack feels better.

Back pain for me was often a sign of too much weight in the lower bottom of the pack. Shifting, redistributing, and tightening the load down can work wonders.

Everybody's different, Footslogger's right--might not be the pack for you. But I've also found it most comfortable for a range of weight between about 25 and 32 total pounds.

I'm also a very small framed woman, 5'4", 110 lbs. I'm pretty sensitive to extra weight and PAIN... :) None with this pack tho.

halfnatural
01-12-2007, 23:10
I'm also a very small framed woman, 5'4", 110 lbs. I'm pretty sensitive to extra weight and PAIN... :) None with this pack tho.

Oops, this is not halfnatural (who is very much a man--also my husband). I'm logged in on his computer.

Gumball

rafe
01-12-2007, 23:10
I'm still working with it. Taking it for walks around the neighborhood (there's a two mile loop I do almost every evening.) Trying various loads & loading methods...

nitewalker
01-12-2007, 23:53
my ggvt is by far the best pack i have owned. the key is definitly to pack correctly and stay in the 27lb range + or - a couple lbs. i once had a problem where i packed my stove pot into my pack and it was diging into my back[my bad] i stoped adjusted it and i have had no issues at all....i also have the gglatitude. i just used it last saturday and did 20 miles with 35lbs over sum bumpy terrain not real hard stuff also some road walking and i found that the pack carried the weight really well for the whole day. i did make some adjustments with the pack throughout the day due to normal daily activities. this pack is very accesible with the long tounge zipper in front ..i also belive gg has their act together with their pack load limits...

Miner
01-22-2007, 22:31
I've had a Vapor Trail for almost year (bought it in March 06). I've used it from simple overnighters to week long trips. I normally use the bladder pocket inside with a 3L resevoir in it. I've never noticed a full bladder being in the pocket. One time, I carried a 3L bladder outside between the back support pad and the pack. I did notice it there though it wasn't uncomfortable. But never have I noticed it inside the internal pocket.

I think the VT is a great pack. People must really abuse their packs if durability seems to be an issue. I went out often this past a year and it's held up well for how I normally treat my pack and I haven't seen anything to indicate that it won't last for several years.

I normally carry 22-26 lbs. in it and it has been the most comfortable pack I've owned. A few times, carrying some extra water, I've had the weight up to the low 30's with no issues in comfort. However, I suspect that I would not want this pack carry 40 or more pounds. With the exception of my 3/4 Ridgerest pad, my gear for a week long trip fits easily inside the pack without needing to extend the collar (I use a tarp though). If I was willing to extend the collar, I can fit the pad inside as well. As I use those GG ultra lightweight stuff sacks for everything, orgainization inside is easy.

I have only 2 complaints about the VT. One is the huge extension collar is a PITA when trying to load it empty (I'll never need that much extension with my gear). The 2nd and my biggest complaint is the hole for the hydration bladder hose is too small for some of my bladders drink valves to go through. I've been thinking all winter how I can modify it without cutting it up too much. It annoyed me enough that I sent a letter to GG about it. I assume they filed it with the other "important" mail they get.

Alligator
01-22-2007, 22:57
The 2nd and my biggest complaint is the hole for the hydration bladder hose is too small for some of my bladders drink valves to go through. I've been thinking all winter how I can modify it without cutting it up too much. It annoyed me enough that I sent a letter to GG about it. I assume they filed it with the other "important" mail they get.It's not just you, I definitely agree with you there.

hammock engineer
01-23-2007, 01:16
I used my knife to make the openning just a little longer. Works fine now. I don't use the hydrations system too much with this pack now.

fonsie
01-23-2007, 04:42
Well I just got mine last week and I took it out this past weekand. I am going to break it and shape it in before my thru hike. I realy thought it was a very nicely manufature pack. I can get my gear and 1 week supplie of food in my pack for 26lbs.