PDA

View Full Version : Georgia in February?

Twofifteen
01-12-2007, 09:40
I'm considering hiking from the NC / Georgia line to Springer in early or mid February. What can I expect as far as weather and crowds? Any other advice relative to this sectionwould be appreciated.

The Solemates
01-12-2007, 10:15
I'm considering hiking from the NC / Georgia line to Springer in early or mid February. What can I expect as far as weather and crowds? Any other advice relative to this sectionwould be appreciated.

Weather is variable in GA at this time of year. Considering 2006 is the warmest on record in several decades, I doubt it will be too cold for any extended period of time. That is not to say, however, that you shouldnt be prepared for the worst. One night on our thru at Muskrat Creek Shelter (first shelter inside NC line) we had temperatures below 0F and about 6-8 inches of snow that night and howling winds. We also had lots of rain and ice in GA for the week we were thru there (Feb 1-6, 2004). Crowds? I dont think you will have to worry about that. We saw only one other thru-hiker during that week. On that Saturday, we saw a group of about 4-5 GATC volunteers. That's it for the whole state of GA except for crossing Neel's Gap.

rafe
01-12-2007, 10:27
One night on our thru at Muskrat Creek Shelter....

Funny how this shelter figures in a lot of "the coldest night" threads...

scope
01-12-2007, 10:37

Likely won't be alone at the shelters, but shouldn't be crowded either. Weather is typically schizo in Feb, although on the frigid side mostly. With El Nino affecting things this year, I'd say be prepared for the worst cold(teens), then make sure you take a t-shirt to hike in when its 70.

Twofifteen
01-12-2007, 11:12
Weather is variable in GA at this time of year. Considering 2006 is the warmest on record in several decades, I doubt it will be too cold for any extended period of time. That is not to say, however, that you shouldnt be prepared for the worst. One night on our thru at Muskrat Creek Shelter (first shelter inside NC line) we had temperatures below 0F and about 6-8 inches of snow that night and howling winds. We also had lots of rain and ice in GA for the week we were thru there (Feb 1-6, 2004). Crowds? I dont think you will have to worry about that. We saw only one other thru-hiker during that week. On that Saturday, we saw a group of about 4-5 GATC volunteers. That's it for the whole state of GA except for crossing Neel's Gap.

Thanks for the replies. You guys really make it sound appealing! I wanted to go before the hordes arrive, but it sounds like there is a reason the crowds stay away.

whitefoot_hp
01-12-2007, 14:50
Weve been having some warm weather down here in Gerogia but it has just turned a little to the cold side. not that bad though.. this is one of my favorite times to of year to backpack.. the days are perfect, but the nights get a little cold

max patch
01-12-2007, 14:53
Likely won't be alone at the shelters, but shouldn't be crowded either. Weather is typically schizo in Feb, although on the frigid side mostly. With El Nino affecting things this year, I'd say be prepared for the worst cold(teens), then make sure you take a t-shirt to hike in when its 70.

Good post.

The only thing I'd add would be prepared for single digits and wet weather.

The Solemates
01-12-2007, 15:00
Thanks for the replies. You guys really make it sound appealing! I wanted to go before the hordes arrive, but it sounds like there is a reason the crowds stay away.

I didnt mean to frighten you off. Southern winters is the best time to hike: no hot, no bugs, no people. :)

highway
01-12-2007, 19:00
here is the best AT weather data for planning i have found. It gives the historical values. Of course you will have to factor in the usual oscillations for yourself:

http://www.thru-hiker.com/temporal.asp

It is from the thru-hiker website, quite a goo one that has been around for a while.

Choose your city and date range or just leave the whole year up.

Good luck!

Two Speed
01-12-2007, 19:07
Thanks for the replies. You guys really make it sound appealing! I wanted to go before the hordes arrive, but it sounds like there is a reason the crowds stay away.I'm going to second The Solemate. Georgia is GREAT during the winter. Solemate did forget the views; frequently much better in the winter. You do need to be prepared for highly variable weather, though, and watch out for the cold, clammy days when it's foggy all day. 35 degrees and light rain feels colder to me than 28 degrees and snow.

maxNcathy
01-15-2007, 18:16
Highway, thanks for the link.
Sandalwood

drdewrag
01-15-2007, 20:29
Yeah, all bets are off down here in Ga for February. In Rome (NW Ga) we have had several days of freako 70+ weather for several days. That is coming to a close as I write. However, there will be some NOBO that have begun already. Combine them with the section hikers and weekenders, and I would pack a tent. Where are you planning to begin, Deep Gap or Dick's Creek Gap? It really is a sweet section.

Twofifteen
01-15-2007, 22:01
Yeah, all bets are off down here in Ga for February. In Rome (NW Ga) we have had several days of freako 70+ weather for several days. That is coming to a close as I write. However, there will be some NOBO that have begun already. Combine them with the section hikers and weekenders, and I would pack a tent. Where are you planning to begin, Deep Gap or Dick's Creek Gap? It really is a sweet section.

Tenative plans are a shuttle from the hiker's hostel at Dahlonega to Deep Gap, then southbound to Amicalola Falls and a shuttle back to the hostel. I'll take the tent anyway because I don't like the shelters and I snore like a chainsaw.

We're having that same wierd weather here in VA.

Twofifteen
01-15-2007, 22:15
Sorry, just checked the data book, I meant to say Blue Ridge Gap.

whitefoot_hp
01-18-2007, 16:57
theres a hiker hostel in dahlonega??

jlb2012
01-18-2007, 17:15
theres a hiker hostel in dahlonega??

well the mailing address is Dahlonega - see http://www.hikerhostel.com/

whitefoot_hp
01-19-2007, 16:00
yeah, there is.. i live in dahlonega and didnt know that:mad:

Vince
01-21-2007, 11:09
This is awesome info, thanks a million! I'm coming into Gainesville via Greyhound, and the hostel can shuttle from there right to Woody Gap for $45. Problem solved...

But what do I do once I hit the NC line? Are there any similar services up that way who'll shuttle to the nearest bus or train station?

Vince
02-08-2007, 14:27
More questions:

Are crampons a good idea for this part of the trail (Woody Gap to Dick's Creek) or superfluous?

If wearing low-cuts, are gaiters a good idea?

Any critters to be concerned about this time of year? I went from the Falls to Woody Gap last April and saw only the usual birds 'n squirrels. I'd like to think anything bigger is hunkered down for a long winter's nap, but figured I'd ask just to be certain.

The Solemates
02-08-2007, 15:05
More questions:

Are crampons a good idea for this part of the trail (Woody Gap to Dick's Creek) or superfluous?

If wearing low-cuts, are gaiters a good idea?

Any critters to be concerned about this time of year? I went from the Falls to Woody Gap last April and saw only the usual birds 'n squirrels. I'd like to think anything bigger is hunkered down for a long winter's nap, but figured I'd ask just to be certain.

I dont think crampons are necessary. I dont wear gaitors. Of course, this is my opinion and you should do whatever you feel comfortable with and what works for you.

Dont expect to see much wildlife in Feb.

bigcranky
02-08-2007, 16:23
This is the time of year when I think about adding Yaktrax to my pack. There can be long stretches of trail that are iced over pretty well, and places where it's just not feasible to walk on the edge of the trail (like on a cliff). The 'trax work pretty well, though they aren't crampons and won't work on steep terrain. Whether I take them or not depends on where I'm going and the recent weather. (Open balds? They go with me.)

I do like to wear gaiters with low cut shoes. Mesh trail runners for 3-season, Goretex trail runners for winter. I like the stretchy O.R. gaiters most of the time, but I use tall Goretex gaiters in deep snow. Gaiters are a personal choice, and personally, I like to keep crap out of my shoes. :D (Mostly I wear shorts and gaiters, unless it's getting pretty cold.)

tiamalle
02-08-2007, 23:10
I'm considering hiking from the NC / Georgia line to Springer in early or mid February. What can I expect as far as weather and crowds? Any other advice relative to this sectionwould be appreciated.The forest service rd to Deep Gap will be closed until March.Your closest access is Standing Indian Campground and hike in on the Kimsey Creek Trail 3.8 miles to Deep Gap or on US64 you can access the AT via of the Chunky Gal Trail 5.1 miles northwest of Muskrat Creek Shelter.You would be just north of Bly gGap and th Ga/NC state line.I could pm you some more detail if needed.

orangebug
02-09-2007, 13:05
Blood Mtn can be treacherous in ice, so you should either plan to zero for a while, back up and use the Freeman Blue Blaze trail, or carry instep crampons or similar. After Christmas, Almost There and I blue blazed around Mt Albert due to the rock and ledges we would have encountered.

Wild like in February may include deer, turkey, grouse, raccoons and the like. Bears don't hibernate down here, but tend to avoid us.

Vince
02-13-2007, 18:04
I found some Yaktrax Walkers for $10 at the Pineville REI. Better than nothing, I figured. Now for my next dilemma:

I called Greyhound and they won't let me take a gas canister for my MSR stove. Hiker Hostel said I could mail some stuff down in advance, but I've been stonewalled by the post office and UPS. Neither of them will touch it because it's considered a hazardous item.

I could purchase some Pocket Rocket fuel at the hostel, but just on principle: how the heck do you ship your things in advance?? :confused:

orangebug
02-13-2007, 23:58
Touch base with HikerHostel regarding a stop at the local REI or similar spot to supply with fuel and other hazardous supplies. This is just the easiest and safest way to deal with the problem.

highway
02-14-2007, 04:43
I found some Yaktrax Walkers for $10 at the Pineville REI. Better than nothing, I figured. Now for my next dilemma:

I called Greyhound and they won't let me take a gas canister for my MSR stove. Hiker Hostel said I could mail some stuff down in advance, but I've been stonewalled by the post office and UPS. Neither of them will touch it because it's considered a hazardous item.

I could purchase some Pocket Rocket fuel at the hostel, but just on principle: how the heck do you ship your things in advance?? :confused:

Yet another reason to go with an alcohol stove

Vince
02-14-2007, 08:48
Yet another reason to go with an alcohol stove

I was waiting patiently for that. Different strokes for different folks, I guess, and I'm quite anxious to pick up the MSR Reactor. ;)

Vince
02-21-2007, 19:39
OK, last stupid question, I promise:

I plugged in various GA towns (Suches, Dahlonega, Blairsville, etc.) at weather.com and the results almost uniform. Mid-60's during the day, and anywhere from mid-30's into the 40's at night.

That being said, would it be foolish to leave the 15* bag at home and opt for the more compact 25* bag?

briarpatch
02-21-2007, 19:58
I uusally recommend that people check Dahlonega, Helen, Blairsville, and Franklin, NC, and subtract 10-20 degrees for the low in the mountains. Those towns roughly parallel the trail thru GA, but are at lower elevations than the trail (for the most part).

Skidsteer
02-21-2007, 19:59

I plugged in various GA towns (Suches, Dahlonega, Blairsville, etc.) at weather.com and the results almost uniform. Mid-60's during the day, and anywhere from mid-30's into the 40's at night.

That being said, would it be foolish to leave the 15* bag at home and opt for the more compact 25* bag?

Try Noaa (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Blairsville&state=GA&site=FFC).

More reliable and easier to navigate IMO.

Vince
02-21-2007, 20:11
Good deal, thanks for the quick replies.

Blissful
02-21-2007, 20:24

If you look in the articles section, I believe there is a place that talks about mailing fuel canisters via the PO. There are some regs with it, but it can be done. Also, there have been threads on this subject as well.

Found this

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20421&highlight=mailing+fuel+canisters

Frosty
02-21-2007, 20:46

I could purchase some Pocket Rocket fuel at the hostel, but just on principle: how the heck do you ship your things in advance?? :confused:Why not just buy the cannisters when you get there? If you are taking greyhound, you will probably be in Gainesville, right?

Vince
02-21-2007, 23:01
Aye, Gainesville. I'm purchasing canisters at Hiker Hostel, but was curious what others would do if that option wasn't available.

After reading the other post regarding the Post Office not even knowing their own regulations, my blood pressure rose a few notches. :mad:

4eyedbuzzard
02-22-2007, 00:07
If you look in the articles section, I believe there is a place that talks about mailing fuel canisters via the PO. There are some regs with it, but it can be done. Also, there have been threads on this subject as well.

Found this

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20421&highlight=mailing+fuel+canisters

You can mail them Parcel Post - Surface Mail Only, but NEVER Priority as all Priority has to be okay for air transport, even if just going one town down the trail. This is due to the distribution system, hubs, and even errors such as mis-sent packages, etc.

highway
02-22-2007, 06:25
Try Noaa (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Blairsville&state=GA&site=FFC).

More reliable and easier to navigate IMO.

AT weather. Plug in location, date range and you get high-low, averages:

http://www.thru-hiker.com/temporal.asp

highway
02-22-2007, 06:34
You can mail them Parcel Post - Surface Mail Only, but NEVER Priority as all Priority has to be okay for air transport, even if just going one town down the trail. This is due to the distribution system, hubs, and even errors such as mis-sent packages, etc.

Consider a switch to alcohol as it is much less of a hassle than canister management. Buy it when you get there or ship it in small quantity via USPO with your food or gear or whatever. You could also Include in the pkg a few nips of your favorite alcoholic beverage to soothe away those aches and pains after a long walking day, especially during those first few days.

The Solemates
02-22-2007, 12:44

yes.......

Mr. Clean
02-22-2007, 18:28
When do the bugs typically arrive in Georgia, and what are the night-time temps around then? I've never done any hiking south of the Shenandoahs. Would this be around late March?

Skidsteer
02-22-2007, 18:45
When do the bugs typically arrive in Georgia, and what are the night-time temps around then? I've never done any hiking south of the Shenandoahs. Would this be around late March?

Depends on the weather. Really.