PDA

View Full Version : AT scholarship?....

hopefulhiker
01-12-2007, 14:52
This is just a crazy idea... But what if White Blaze members chipped in and created an AT scholarship.?..

People could apply and it would be awarded for them to thru hike the AT..

Applications could be reviewed and voted on and then the sucessful candidate would agree to give reports on their progress..

It might just be like 500 dollars or so just to help someone buy gear or something...

MOWGLI
01-12-2007, 14:56
A thru-hike is (or should be) all about self reliance. A scholarship flies in the face of what the experience is all about. That's my .02

4eyedbuzzard
01-12-2007, 14:58
This is just a crazy idea...

Pretty much:D

Kerosene
01-12-2007, 16:43
It's hard enough to get this community to pony up for sufficient money to fund the website server, let alone that exorbitant salary for our professional webmaster. [This is an inside joke, as our esteemed webmaster, attroll, spends an inordinate number of his waking hours keeping this bulletin board going with only our infrequently expressed thanks in return. BTW, he's on the verge of burning out and he could use more help from those of you in the digital generation!]

Jack Tarlin
01-12-2007, 18:01
Consider how much we argue over ridiculous things, I think it'd be crazy to get a group of Whiteblazers to decide who merits a scholarship; who doesn't; how much they'd get, etc. It'd take about nine years to make a final decision, and then people would be arguing for another nine years about that decision, about who sat on the comittee, etc. The very thought of a Whiteblaze scholarship committee is nuts.....there are people in this group who'd argue for months about the seating schedule on a two-holer.

Anyone with a few extra bucks to spare can give it to this website, to ALDHA, to the ATC, to a local maintaining club, to Miss Janet for her new van fund, etc. Or they can give it to a worthy cause at home, whether it's a food bank, humane society, church, youth group, whatever.

If someone needs 500 bucks to go hiking, they can skip the lattes for a few months; brown bag their lunch; stop going to clubs or bars; avoid buying clothes and toys they don't need; can rent movies instead of going to the theater; or best yet, they can get a second job; open a separate bank account, and start saving up for their trip.

Sorry, but I think a Whiteblaze hiking "scholarship" is a pretty silly idea.

hopefulhiker
01-12-2007, 18:12
Ok I admit it, There are far more worthy causes.. Just an impulsive post... but I thought it might encourage interest in the trail.. Very funny post though, Jack.. lol....

Jack Tarlin
01-12-2007, 18:15
Geesh, I'm glad you thought it was funny, but I was dead serious! :D

SalParadise
01-12-2007, 19:28
i can just see the scenario happening of a dude getting $500 to thru-hike then deciding he wants to quit at Neels Gap.

Bilko
01-13-2007, 01:46
We need to answer a few questions first.
Just what would be on this application?
Who would be on the Admissions Team?
Would we use scores from the S.AT or the AcT?
Would we need High School transcripts or previous hiking expeince?
Could someone Red Shirt a year, while hiking?
Would we accept transfer students?
What kind of mid-term reports?

Let's go for it. I think we can make this work. We need to get a name for this Scholarship first. We can worry about the money later.

SalParadise
01-13-2007, 03:57
how about an "all the gear you'd need for a thru-hike" donation? We create a checklist of gear one would need, to then be donated by WhiteBlazers. Certainly the gear could be used, but it must be in good enough condition to thru-hike.

In return, the prospective hiker who is rewarded with this agrees to do volunteer work for X number of hours. It could be Trail maintenance or volunteering with the ATC--whatever way would benefit the Trail. It could be work on any trail near his/her home, even.

--many of us have duplicate gear we could spare
--if the hiker doesn't drops out at Neels Gap, the agreement still stands
--it assures the hiker leaves with the right gear and probably no swords
--certainly many hikers are short on money and could really use the gear
--it benefits the Trail through the volunteer work
--it maintains the hiker's self-reliance, rather than just free money

so what do you all think about that?

ScottP
01-13-2007, 04:21
Sal, that sounds like a very workable and intelligent idea.

Does the gear need to be donated, or just lended?

Big Dawg
01-13-2007, 08:04
This is just a crazy idea... But what if White Blaze members chipped in and created an AT scholarship.?..

Applications could be reviewed and voted on and then the sucessful candidate would agree to give reports on their progress..

It might just be like 500 dollars or so just to help someone buy gear or something...

I was wondering what to do w/ all of that cash of mine laying around..... :rolleyes:

rafe
01-13-2007, 09:29
I give "hopefulhiker" credit for thinking out of the box. A charitable soul. This has the makings of a stone soup project.

4eyedbuzzard
01-13-2007, 11:27
I was wondering what to do w/ all of that cash of mine laying around..... :rolleyes:

Don't worry. Uncle has arranged a donation opportunity on April 15.:D

4eyedbuzzard
01-13-2007, 11:30
I give "hopefulhiker" credit for thinking out of the box. A charitable soul. This has the makings of a stone soup project.

Thinking outside the box - or Yogiing outside the tunnel?:rolleyes:

Programbo
01-13-2007, 12:09
I always thought if I ever win the Mega-Millions Jackpot for like $260 Million or something I would set up a trust to help people realize their dream of thru-hiking the AT...Obviously even with that much money you can`t fund everyones trip (But then again most people don`t need the financial assistance) but you could certainly help a number of people each year fulfill their dream :) .....I`d also try and find a way to get all those bodies down off of Mount Everest. I don`t personally know any of them but it bothers me that they are just laying around up there :( ....And pay for Vietnam vets to return to Vietnam and visit...Let`s see what else? :-?

weary
01-13-2007, 12:30
A thru-hike is (or should be) all about self reliance. A scholarship flies in the face of what the experience is all about. That's my .02
Besides, trail organizations need whatever surplus funds we may have. The critical work of the ATC is being hampered by a serious shortage of income. MATC was told last week that ATC probably won't help us appeal the industrialization project across the valley from Saddleback and the Crockers because the cash isn't available.

If anyone wants to help us continue the fight, open www.matc.org and hit the donate now button, then the button to make a memorial gift, and list "Redington." as the recipient of your largess.

Weary

4eyedbuzzard
01-13-2007, 13:09
Everest is a mess. Frozen corpses (the epitomy of violating LNT:rolleyes: ), Oxygen bottles, years of abandoned ropes(literally a tripping hazard). I've often thought an eco-expedition to clean it up led by the many guide services that profit from leading expeditions would be laudable. All of you Nepalese politicians reading this, please take note.

On the other topic, I like Sal's idea on donating equipment, but wonder if it would work. Even the younger "financially challenged" hikers here seem to all want, and often obtain the newest high end equipment. I doubt many would even want my old Tioga, Moss, etc. Bulletproof stuff, and it all still works fine, but it puts big three weights in the 12 - 15 lb range, which is unacceptable to almost everyone these days. Can't say I honestly blame them. The older stuff is great for "hike and camp", but I wouldn't attempt to thru with it given what is now available. Lightweight equipment increases one's hiking enjoyment and ultimately one's likelihood of completing a thru. The downside is that this stuff is anything but cheap, and therefore rarely donated. An interesting possibility though.

Big Dawg
01-13-2007, 14:05
Don't worry. Uncle has arranged a donation opportunity on April 15.:D

what $$, I don't know what you're talking about:-?:D

dloome
01-13-2007, 19:45

Absolutely.

SalParadise
01-14-2007, 00:42
why would a thru-hike have to be about self-reliance? i think of all the peole who have slackpacked with Doyle's caravan, and that's still a big accomplishment even though that's not totally self-reliant. heck, Bill Irwin relied on a dog, and obviously his hike was a lot harder than ours.

What is self-reliance, anyway? At some point along the way each one of us relied on somebody else for one service or another, if not just relying on the generosity of the maintainers so we have a Trail in the first place. It's that 'no free lunch' thing.

magic_game03
01-14-2007, 01:11
NOBODY ever through hiked without a helping hand, but nobody who ever thru-hiked had their hand held. Alot of people have have hiked on a $1000 bucks. if you ain't got the energy to scrape a grand together to get your butt out there, I'm not sure you belong out there. even in po-dunk nor cacackalacky on a min wage 5-eighty-five an hour that can be done in a month or two. that's just plain reckless to give money to someone like that.

dperry
01-14-2007, 01:15
I agree wholeheartedly with those who say save it for land preservation. HYOH applies to the financial part as well as everything else.

freefall
01-14-2007, 01:22
why would a thru-hike have to be about self-reliance?
What is self-reliance, anyway? At some point along the way each one of us relied on somebody else for one service or another, if not just relying on the generosity of the maintainers so we have a Trail in the first place. It's that 'no free lunch' thing.
I agree. Without my parents I would not have made it as far as I did. Many hikers rely on their family for support. And the generosity of strangers goes a long way in the form of trail magic.( especially the unplanned occurances like a ride into a town that is 10 miles away or calories when you are out of food).
A well doled out scholarship would be a great idea. The main reason I did not finish was money. True- I could have scaled back but like many of the younger hikers, I was caught up in the socail aspect. A scolarship could help.
Especially if it involved mandatory trail maintenaice and was paid out in segments. This would help the trail and ensure the individual was completing the trail. If they drop out the money could be sent to the ATC or one of the local agencies.

magic_game03
01-14-2007, 01:53
freefall,

I ain't trying to pick on ya, but read what ya just wrote. "I could have scaled back" and "I was caught up in the social aspect." I read between the lines and I read "ok, I partied, I hung out, but if you gave me money..."

you seem nice enough, most likely a good guy, I don't know you, but if you say "a scolarship could help..." ...help what? make a few more states? maybe CT? you ain't got the sound of someone who's hungry, whos spirit is restless, someone who will find a way. Ya, kinda sound like someone who could party away $500 bucks in a couple of weeks, but like I said "I don't know you"

...anyway, I hope you enjoyed your hike, take care

hellkat

freefall
01-14-2007, 04:08
Fair enough Magic. You got my number on the head. But what I'm proposing, would weed out the partiers.
I went through a whole month's resupply at the bar at Wind Gap. I really think I had made the decsion to get off thet trail by then, I just wasn't ready to admit it to myself or anybody else.
None of my friends were around at the time. I was behind shedule due to a stress fracture. Then when I got to DWG, the flood told me that I was done. I could have gone on but would have missed another semeser of school. And that would have made my student loans due.
Yes I partied more than I should have. But I believe that a scholarship candidate could be "weeded out". Especially if they are college students. Asking for recommendation letters would help to a degree.
This is only a partial answer but I am on my way to bed. No offense taken Magic- a very legitimate question. I'll finish my answer at another time though.

The Old Fhart
01-14-2007, 09:59
AT scholarship?....

This isn't a new idea. I decided to completely fund a thru hiker in 1998. This scholarship would include equipment and all expenses. I wanted to make sure that whoever I chose was deserving, was someone who would reflect my love of the trail, and was someone I could identify with. After long and hard considerations I chose me and have never regreted it!:D

Johnny Swank
01-14-2007, 10:15
I think this idea is well-intentioned, but think that each hiker should be footing their own bill. If you want to give cash to someone to hike, by all means do so. I think having to suck it up and pay for a thru-hike yourself is part of what makes it so worthwhile in the end.

Programbo
01-14-2007, 10:39
I think having to suck it up and pay for a thru-hike yourself is part of what makes it so worthwhile in the end.

I'm not sure I'm agreeing here...Same with the "it's about self reliance" thing....Getting your first job and moving out of the house to your own little place or getting your first car and keeping it going are enough life lessons for self reliance....Hiking the AT shouldn't be a lesson or something to prove...I'm sure to some people that's part of the reason they go..Or for the physical challange or the group interaction or whatever....I don't know what it should be about anymore...Even this "HYOH" stuff I don't get....I guess way back when I did all my serious long distance/long term hiking the AT was a place to escape the out of control society where everyone was doing whatever they wanted and there was a constant feeling in the air and a constant type of person you`d meet on the trail

magic_game03
01-14-2007, 10:59
I often reread my own post only to think, "god, what an a-ss this magic character is." Thanks for your quality response and not takeing it personally. I only used you as the example because you used yourself. The question and your response are good ones. I often promote the long distance trails in the off season because I think it would be healthy for most americans to free themselves from the toils of our fabricated civilization. A scholarship would be a great way to get younger america out there. maybe it could be given out to someone who has made it halfway on their own and proven their constitute ;)

MOWGLI
01-15-2007, 09:25
Especially if it involved mandatory trail maintenaice and was paid out in segments. This would help the trail and ensure the individual was completing the trail. If they drop out the money could be sent to the ATC or one of the local agencies.

Just like a scholarship flies in the face of the thru-hiking experience, the idea of "mandatory trail maintenance" is even sillier. It's called volunteerism for a reason.

4eyedbuzzard
01-15-2007, 13:56
I often promote the long distance trails in the off season because I think it would be healthy for most americans to free themselves from the toils of our fabricated civilization. A scholarship would be a great way to get younger america out there. maybe it could be given out to someone who has made it halfway on their own and proven their constitute ;)

The more I think about the entire concept of a "scholarship" the less I like it. Just how badly are the "toils of civilization" impacting 18 to 23 year olds? Young adults without the responsibilities of families, homes, etc can more easily fund and accomplish their own thru-hike than any other group. They are generally at the peak of their health, have few or no ongoing financial comittments, especially to children, their few possessions can be put in storage, etc. Even if they are still floundering around a bit, they should be able to earn enough to pay for their own hike. Hiking "scholarships" for those failing to show this minmum level of motivation and responsibility is a bad idea. I'd rather give the money to the ATC, college tuition, or other charity.

The Weasel
01-15-2007, 15:18
It's hard enough to get this community to pony up for sufficient money to fund the website server, let alone that exorbitant salary for our professional webmaster. [This is an inside joke, as our esteemed webmaster, attroll, spends an inordinate number of his waking hours keeping this bulletin board going with only our infrequently expressed thanks in return. BTW, he's on the verge of burning out and he could use more help from those of you in the digital generation!]

This post merits its own thread. Perhaps ATTroll and the other mods could give us some suggestions (other than for us to stop being a pain the in the rear) about how some of us could help.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
01-15-2007, 15:20

Not no but hell no!

The Weasel
01-15-2007, 15:55
There are a lot of thru hikers (some of whom finished and others who didn't) who have had help from others, in a variety of ways, a lot of which were financial, whether is was as simple as mailing resupply boxes, or as intense as direct financing. I suspect that Bill Bryson had an "advance" for his book before he set foot on the trail (no, he's not exactly the poster child for anyone looking for help, I know). And most of us agree, in one way or another, that the idea of "hike your own hike" means that whatever one person thinks is appropriate for them is acceptable to the rest of the Trail.

A scholarship would be something that would be a voluntary contribution, and I'd be interested in that. I'm not going to suggest that our Administrators take another task on, so I'm not sure how it would work. I'd be more interested in hearing how that would happen, since I know that the 'devil is in the details' sometimes.

The Weasel

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2007, 16:16
A 2006 thru-hiker was given most of the needed equipment by someone who had planned to hike but did not. It was like the coolest trail magic ever for someone who was on a budget.

But setting it up as an official "scholarship" doesn't make sense to me--it's not like paying 40K/year for tuition, we're talking 5-6K a six month for a vacation.

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2007, 16:17
wow: I meant, we're talking 5-6K for a six month vacation.

The Weasel
01-15-2007, 16:53
wow: I meant, we're talking 5-6K for a six month vacation.
Well, it was an education for me. Maybe for others.

The Weasel

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2007, 17:14
Yes, I'm sure it is for everyone, but it's also a vacation.
I guess going to school full-time would be a vacation for me, too.

The point of a scholarship is to enable someone deserving to do something that they wouldn't be able to do otherwise. Most anyone who has six months to take off could save 5-6K. If they couldn't afford to save it because of their responsibilities, then they probably couldn't take six months anyway. I seriously doubt someone who is incapable of earning & saving 5-6K is capable of thru-hiking anyway.

4eyedbuzzard
01-15-2007, 17:24
Well, it was an education for me. Maybe for others.

The Weasel

At 50+ years of age, after a lifetime of responsibility and civilization, I believe the thru-hike experience is probably somewhat different. I have this notion that there is probably a bigger lesson to be learned at age 18 to ?? by being self-sufficient and ambitious enough in the real world to finance your own hike. Hiking the trail (especially on someone elses dime) for 6 months is not THIS reality, it is a vacation and an escape - a luxury. I'm sure spending the summer trekking in Europe or Nepal is educational as well. I have the same opinion for a scholarship for those endeavors. I'm not completely opposed to alternative education, there is much to be learned outside of traditional academia. In fact, my daughter is considering a college semester at NOLS, which I think would benefit her a lot more from a personal development standpoint than a thru-hike. The hike will come later. Honestly, for most "kids", 6 months on the AT wouldn't be near as educational as 6 months in a coal mine. As a bonus, they could then afford the hike.

The Weasel
01-15-2007, 17:27
At 50+ years of age, after a lifetime of responsibility and civilization, I believe the thru-hike experience is probably somewhat different.

Started mine at age 52. Made it to VA, learned more in 3 months about myself than in years of higher education. Didn't learn enough, but there are a lot of miles left.

The Weasel

Bravo
01-15-2007, 18:01
I am starting my hike the first week in April. After reading these posts I've had a lot to think about. This decision has been very hard on me but I've finally made it.

Effective Immediately: I will be accepting any and all donations to assist me in my hike. These donations will be put to many great uses including but not limited to food, lodging, postage, gear repair, gear replacement, alcohol, mind expanding drugs, medical expenses, travel to and from trail, and the occasional prostitute.

Please send PM to arrange sending donation.

Thank you all in advance.:D

The Weasel
01-15-2007, 18:04
Tell us how you would 'pay it forward' if you received a donation, and how you won't be able to do the Trail if you don't get donations.

The Weasel

Bravo
01-16-2007, 01:30
Thanks Everyone. Keep those donations coming.:D

freefall
01-16-2007, 03:11
Just like a scholarship flies in the face of the thru-hiking experience, the idea of "mandatory trail maintenance" is even sillier. It's called volunteerism for a reason.
Having to work for money for a "scholarship" isn't a new concept. It happens on campuses around the country on a daily basis. Hell, I have to jump through hoops just to get the little bit of money they give me and I eventually have to pay that back.
And I'm not talking about them signing up with the Konorak Croo for a week-long endeavor (unless they want to). Even a day with Bob Peoples would suffice and give the individual a small taste of what it takes to keep a trail like the AT going.
This is something I have been thinking about since the plane ride from Denver to Atlanta. Until I saw this thread I would never have considered proposing that a group such as WB members be contributers. And I still wouldn't. After I graduate I fully intend on setting up a fund for an annual scholarship, but on my own or with a small group of interested individuals.
And based on the selection criteria that I've been thinking of, I doubt anyone that wouldn't willingly participate in trail maintenance would be selected anyway.
And I do not see how a scholarship "flies in the face of the thru-hiking experience". Almost every potential thru-hiker receives some sort of assistance during their hike. The fact that the assistance would be coming from a previously unkown party would be no different than someone's parents partly funding their hike.