PDA

View Full Version : Travel Checks

partinj
01-12-2007, 15:31
I was gone to take $50.00 or $20.00 travelchecks i think the $20.00 would be easy to get cash. What to you guy think.:-?

troglobil
01-12-2007, 15:41
I'd go with $20s. A lot of places I see signs saying no bills over 20. Same probably applies to travel checks.

PJ 2005
01-12-2007, 17:18
you'd be fine with a credit/debit card and a $20 bill.

Tractor
01-12-2007, 17:30
I tend to agree with PJ. I suspect there are more than a few places that would not accept travelerschecks as they are not familiar with them.

Peaks
01-12-2007, 17:32
you'd be fine with a credit/debit card and a $20 bill.

Well, that's what I thought until a thunderstorm knocked out all (both) ATM's in town. Better carry some extra cash if you don't have travelers checks.

Jack Tarlin
01-12-2007, 17:52
I've never heard of a place that didn't accept small demomination Travellers Checks.

But here's what I'd suggest:

*If you go with TC's, carry mostly 20's. If you carry any 50's or 100's, make
sure you use them/cash them when you get to big towns, as some smaller
stores might not be able to break them for you.

*If you use TC's, make sure you have a photocopy of the numbers left with a
VERY reliable person that you can ALWAYS reach, in case your checks are
lost or stolen and need to be replaced. I.e., don't leave this info with your
brother who might be away travelling when you're trying to reach him.....
leave it with someone you KNOW you can always contact.

*Make sure you have good photo I.D. as you'll be asked for it.

*Whether you go with checks or not, ALWAYS carry some cash on you, at
least fifty dollars, and preferably more. Sooner or later, you'll require a
service (shuttle, etc.) that will accept cash only.

*Don't rely only on a Credit or Debit card. Some places don't have ATM's,
or maybe they'll only have one and it'll be out of service when you get there,
or out of money. Maybe your card wil get eaten for some crazy reason and
you won't be able to get it back til you can talk to your bank or the
company that issued the card, and if it's a weekend or holiday, you're
screwed.

*In short, ALWAYS have some cash back-up.

KG4FAM
01-12-2007, 18:03
As far as places that you can count on getting cash at you can always get some at the Post Office. You might have to wait until late in the day and then you also have to buy a postcard or something else, but you get to write someone a letter and not have to pay ATM fees.

max patch
01-12-2007, 18:26
I didn't use or carry travelers checks on my thru and its a heck of a lot easier to get cash now then when I hiked.

I did leave each town with $100 cash on me to insure that when I arrived at the next town I didn't have to worry about getting cash ASAP.

Desert Lobster
01-13-2007, 13:01
At some banks you can go to the teller with your debit card and get a cash advance for no fee. Just ask first because it's usually $5 or more at other banks. Just a way to save that ATM fee. Also, your bank may charge you for doing this.

Post Office also gives you dough for a fee.

Blissful
01-13-2007, 13:57
Many places are taking the debit card that if you use it, it will also ask if you want cash back. Not in all places but at least in larger stores, etc.

This thread though makes me want to avoid ATMs.

fonsie
01-19-2007, 10:11
I like Max Patch plan. Leave every town with 100 so you would have cash wherever you go. I plan on doing 100 cash, 20's 10's, and my back visa card.

weary
01-19-2007, 10:43
I've always considered travel checks a bit of a rip off. Banks charge you when you buy them -- and then get to use your money interest free until you get around to cashing them. You can't find a better deal than that -- if you are a bank. My wife buys them whenever we take a long trip. We rarely ever cash more than one or two on a trip, relying on credit cards and ATMs. But upon returning home we look for ways to use them up.

They aren't needed, certainly, in this day of universal ATMs. Probably the best plan is to open an account with a national bank with many eastern branches that doesn't charge for ATM use at their branches.

At the least, compare travel check fees with ATM fees and choose the cheapest. Just remember, banks are masters at ripping people off in these days of minimal regulation. But ATMs are both convenient and reasonably cheap if you only use them when withdrawals are free -- or if not free you withdraw the maximum amount each time to lessen the percentage cost.

Every bank has its own policies. Wise folks shop around and choose whatever system is cheapest.

Having said all this a couple of travel checks for emergency use, probably makes some sense.

Weary

leeki pole
01-19-2007, 18:54
Just remember, banks are masters at ripping people off in these days of minimal regulation.

Weary[/quote]
Well Weary, being a banker for the last 30 years, we don't rip people off more than any other retailer. And we're more highly regulated than any other industry in this nation. If you don't believe me, look it up. Or just come on down to our next bank examination. We get about one a year along with a yearly audit. So do your homework before stating facts you know nothing about. Have a nice day.:)

leeki pole
01-19-2007, 19:04
That said, I'd just go with a debit and credit card, along with $30-50 in cash. Any ATM will honor it, albeit with a fee, or you could just to Wally World and buy a pack of gum and get cash back with your debit card for no fee. Don't quote me on this one.:cool:

mindi
01-24-2007, 13:36
I can't open a bank account due to student loans, so I'm going to have to go with traveler's checks. I just planned on cashing a few at each town stop so that I have cash. Are there any places that any of you know of where I wouldn't be able to cash a traveler's check? I'd like to be able to cash a few extra if I know that I may have trouble on my next stop.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2007, 13:38
I can't open a bank account due to student loans, so I'm going to have to go with traveler's checks. I just planned on cashing a few at each town stop so that I have cash. Are there any places that any of you know of where I wouldn't be able to cash a traveler's check? I'd like to be able to cash a few extra if I know that I may have trouble on my next stop.

you should have no problem anywhere with them. i never did.

Spirit Walker
01-24-2007, 18:17
What does having a loan have to do with having a bank account? They aren't mutually exclusive. Unless you've defaulted in the past, or overdrawn checking accounts, you should be able to open up a bank account.

gravityman
01-24-2007, 18:38

We had issues in 2001 with a number of stores not knowing how to cash them at all. In 2005 we used our ATM card from our bank in Colorado and that worked perfectly.

Gravity and Danger