/

Dirtyoldman
06-28-2003, 09:40
I keep my socks in their place.....

smokymtnsteve
06-28-2003, 18:26

woodhippie
06-30-2003, 21:52
On really cold nights fill your Nalgene bottle with nearly boiling water.....slip a pair of wool socks over the bottle and place it in the bottom of your sleeping bag....keeps your feet warm without wearing socks allowing your feet to breath and get max circulation

icemanat95
11-12-2003, 11:12
I prefer wool socks most of the time, even in hot weather. But the important thing is that the socks you choose work well with your boots to prevent blisters and keep your feet comfortable. That is the most important thing. If your feet are uncomfortable, your hike will be miserable.

The Wicked Lobstah
11-12-2003, 11:26
Ingenious socks are incredible moisture control and comfort. Its all I wear now. Made specifically ith gore-tex footwear in mind. They incorporate liner and outer sock in one.

http://www.ingeniussocks.com/

Kerosene
11-12-2003, 13:50
Ingenious socks are incredible moisture control and comfort. Its all I wear now. Made specifically ith gore-tex footwear in mind. They incorporate liner and outer sock in one.

http://www.ingeniussocks.com/
The problem I see with the combined liner/outer sock like ingenius is that the liner portion probably wouldn't dry as fast as a stand-alone liner sock. My feet sweat a lot at any temperature, so I now bring 4 pair of lightweight liners and two pair of SmartWools. I change the liners at least once a day, and with any luck I always have at least once pair that are dry when I need them. I can literally wring a quarter-cup of sweat out of my wool socks when I take them off, so they only get fully dry when it's a nice sunny day.

In any case, I'll probably try out a pair of the ingenius socks to see how they work for me. What I'd really like is a way to keep my feet from sweating (foot powder and anti-perspirant don't make much of a dent).

Crash
11-26-2003, 10:49
I love to wear wool socks every day. but hiking I like my Wyoming Wear socks under my woolies.

Kerosene
11-26-2003, 11:21
Crash, which Wyoming Wear socks do you use?

Jaybird
01-23-2004, 12:55
i love to wear wool socks...even on the warmer days...although i do wear the "shortie" versions on the ultra-hot days.

never liners....a bit toooooo warm!

see ya'll UP the trail! :D

Singletrack
01-29-2005, 22:22
Injinji toe socks. Keeps my toes from rubbing blisters on each other. Cool Max. $10 per pair, weigh 1.7 oz. And comfy.

Maxwell_Allen
01-29-2005, 22:36
I may not be wickked smaht but my wool socks are, they work as a pot holder too.

Kerosene
01-30-2005, 11:34
Injinji toe socks. Keeps my toes from rubbing blisters on each other. Cool Max. $10 per pair, weigh 1.7 oz. And comfy.Where did you purchase these, Singletrack?

Hikerhead
01-30-2005, 12:10
Here you go Kerosene

http://www.injinji.com/home/home.html

NICKTHEGREEK
01-30-2005, 12:15
Love wool socks, finding the right combination of sock and a good fitting boot was a real breakthrough. Sometimes I hesitate buying socks at $18.00 the pair, but it is money very well spent.

Singletrack
01-30-2005, 14:41
Kerosene, I ordered mine from Argear.com. They have them in black and tan. The Injinji website has them in white and tan only. I have weird toes that rub each other, while hiking. These socks stop that. They are quiet warm, have used them below freezing, and sleet.

Ramble~On
01-30-2005, 19:28
I wear Merino Wool everyday...I threw out all of my cotton socks and gave away the synthetics. That does not include dress socks of course.

My latest find: Alpaca Merino Wool. 63% Merino Wool, 27% Alpaca, 10% stretch nylon

"These Alpaca socks keep feet cool in the desert, dry in the rainforest, warm in snow, and less blistered everywhere."

IMO They Rock.

Dahlgren Dri-Stride Alpaca Hiking Socks
www.dahlgrenfootwear.com (http://www.dahlgrenfootwear.com)

mdjeeper
01-31-2005, 00:14
i wear REI merino wools sock every day as well. midweights most of the time and for those cold days will toss on some heavyweights, usually without a liner, for really hot days and really cold days though i do add in a pr of polypro liners, silk liner socks never seemed to work well for me

Smooth03
02-18-2005, 20:35
I wanna plug coolmax liner socks.

I wore them with no other sock over them and had one pair last me over 700 miles. Yeah I know its gross, but I wore those socks for probably two months straight without putting on another sock. Their demise only came about because my toenail wore through them.

On the contrary I had a two pairs of patagonia liners only last me 200 miles which surprises me since patagonia is usually good gear.

Just my two cents!

Moxie00
03-21-2005, 10:29
I started my thru hike with 3 pairs of smartwools and 4 pair of nylon liners. Wore them winter and summer. One pair on my feet, one dry pair in my pack and one pair washed and drying while hanging off the back of my pack. I wore out 2 pair of LL Bean Cresta boots but the smartwools made it all the way and I can still wear them 4 years later. No blisters, no hotspots from Georgia to Maine and I hiked six months and one day and wore them every day. The heels are thin now but the rest of the socks are in perfect condition. They were the "backpacking weight" sold in 2000, grey and green in color. I loved them.:clap

fiddlehead
06-18-2005, 00:03
sox are highly overrated. who needs em in the summer? Earl Schaeffer didn't wear them.

MedicineMan
06-18-2005, 00:35
SmartWool Mountaineers every day that i'm not in Crocs or Usurpers so thats probably 300 days out of a year

Moon Monster
06-18-2005, 11:59
Injinji toe socks. Keeps my toes from rubbing blisters on each other. Cool Max. $10 per pair, weigh 1.7 oz. And comfy.

Very cool looking. My personal main blister risk area is between toes.

How is the durability?

Lanthar Mandragoran
06-18-2005, 13:22
I've fallen in love with smartwool since I finally got around to picking up a few pairs on REI closeout... wear'em even in summer... combined with my VApor Lights, the micro-mini's are the most comfortable my feet have ever been, more than any other sock... I'm going to be swithcing out my dress socks soon...

Kerosene
06-18-2005, 15:22
Per Moon Monster's question, I used 2 pair of Injinji liner socks over 140 miles in southern Virginia at the beginning of June. I do not see any wearing around the toes, which would be most likely to get pulled apart. I do recommend that you get the sand-colored socks instead of the white if you can find them. Also, you'll spend a lot of time pulling out the little toes when you pull them on and off, but I guess my hands are usually dirty anyway so what's a pair of sweaty-toed socks.

I usually get blisters around my "ring" toes, for which I've worn gel toe caps. These socks seemed to do the job for all of my toes.

The Injinji's were designed for runners, so my guess is that they would last for at least the life of a running shoe (1,000 to 2,000 road miles perhaps, which is maybe 500-1,000 trail miles).

Ridge
06-18-2005, 21:30
sox are highly overrated. who needs em in the summer? Earl Schaeffer didn't wear them.
Believe it or not. Not wearing socks wears out the boots and footbeds faster, from the inside, but to each his own. Not wearing socks was Earl's style, one heck of a nice guy an certainly a, if not THE, trail legend.

Moon Monster
06-19-2005, 16:35
Per Moon Monster's question,

Thanks Kerosene! I'll be going after a pair of these this week.

Why the tan color? Because white would show dirt and sweat stains? Their website says the tan is not in stock currently and my local running stores only cary the white. They make a black, too, it seems.

fiddlehead
06-20-2005, 23:16
Believe it or not. Not wearing socks wears out the boots and footbeds faster, from the inside, but to each his own. Not wearing socks was Earl's style, one heck of a nice guy an certainly a, if not THE, trail legend.
I would guess that they wear out faster because the shoes would stay wetter. especially on the AT. I either wear fleece when it's cold, or very very thin nylon socks or liners just to keep the shoes somewhat clean, when it's warm.
Earl was incredible!!! A true "freethinker"

justusryans
06-21-2005, 06:33
you can get coolmax socks at wallyworld now. i was in there yesterday and in the men's dress sock section they had coolmax for 3 to 4 bucks. my wife bought me 2 pair of coolmax at the outfitters for fathers day for 12.95. don't tell her though! :eek: :eek: :eek: