PDA

View Full Version : wind guard for a cannister stove

ncmtns
01-12-2007, 20:06
Has anyone tried to design a wind guard for a typical butane stove? Ive heard say that you have to be careful not to make it to where the cannister can over heat. Any ideas out there?

copythat
01-12-2007, 21:44
snowpeak makes a kind of guard for the giga power. http://tinyurl.com/y3pqr2
i read somewhere in the gear forums about someone making their own. looks pretty straightforward.

(i've also heard tell of people using regular foil screens, despite the warnings about the canisters overheating, and feeling the canisters now and then to make sure they're cool. :eek: )

rafe
01-12-2007, 23:18
Here's what I'm thinking of... A thin, flat, donut-shaped aluminum ring that fits over the top of the canister, allowing the burner unit to be attached with the ring in place. From the edges of the ring, punch holes for three or four short, stiff wires or rods. These wires would then support a more or less conventional aluminum windscreen whose bottom edge was roughly even with the top of the canister and extends to maybe 2" above the bottom of the cooking pot. In other words: the screen would form a "skirt" at just the right height -- where the flame is. Its bottom edge would not come down to the ground, and there'd be little or no danger of overheating the canister.

TurkeyBacon
01-13-2007, 11:09
I've seen someone make one out of a simple aluminum ring and it was held up by bend wire (welding wire in his case) that attached to the holes in the supports on his MSR and simply hooked to the aluminum with a basic bend and friction. IT was incredibly simple. It was high enough to not need a bottom guard to protect the cansiter. The windscreen was about 3 inches tall.
TB