PDA

View Full Version : SilNet by McNett, do I need to mix w/ mineral spirits?

Big Dawg
01-12-2007, 21:31
I'm getting ready to seam seal my tarptent, and have heard in the past to mix the silicone sealer w/ mineral spirits to make the solution easier to spread. I have SilNet by McNett. After reviewing some threads here, I've seen a few comments about not needing to mix mineral spirits w/ SilNet b/c it's already thin enough. Need more confirmation, please. Thanks. :D

Footslogger
01-12-2007, 22:26
I'm getting ready to seam seal my tarptent, and have heard in the past to mix the silicone sealer w/ mineral spirits to make the solution easier to spread. I have SilNet by McNett. After reviewing some threads here, I've seen a few comments about not needing to mix mineral spirits w/ SilNet b/c it's already thin enough. Need more confirmation, please. Thanks. :D

==============================

Well ...it's thinner than GE Silicone but I still squirt some in a plastic dish and add some mineral spirits before applying it to my silnylon tent seams. What I've noticed is that by doing so it dries faster and isn't quite as tacky.

'Slogger

superflatz
01-12-2007, 22:48
Is it OK to use paint thinnner in lieu of st8 mineral spirits? bob

Spock
01-12-2007, 23:03
Before mixing anything with Silnet, contact McNett and ask them. Dollars to donuts, they will tell you Silnet is incompatible with mineral spirits. It creates a slurry, but does not dissolve. Use Silnet full strength and spread it thinly with something like a tongue depressor.

bigben
01-13-2007, 10:30
I seam sealed my Equinox 10x12 tarp with it, straight out to the tube. Screw that little brush they give you. Get some latex gloves and use your finger. You'll need several rags too that you don't plan on keeping. It's a messy procedure and a messy product, but it works. It needs to dry for a good long time, and I puffed it with talc powder before putting the tarp away. Works great.

Footslogger
01-13-2007, 12:01
I seam sealed my Equinox 10x12 tarp with it, straight out to the tube. Screw that little brush they give you. Get some latex gloves and use your finger. You'll need several rags too that you don't plan on keeping. It's a messy procedure and a messy product, but it works. It needs to dry for a good long time, and I puffed it with talc powder before putting the tarp away. Works great.

==================================

You can cut down on the mess by using one of those little 1/2" foam paint brushes. Regardless whether you cut it with mineral spirits or not that little brush makes getting it where you need it a lot easier and less messy.

'Slogger

bigben
01-13-2007, 17:44
A 1/2 foam stain brush would work. Too bad I didn't think of that last year. I even have a bunch in the garage.

karo
01-13-2007, 22:43
I didn't need to thin it when I patched my tarp last year. It got stepped on by a deer at Sipsey Wilderness, with me under it! LOL.

peter_pan
01-14-2007, 09:24
This stuff is a no brainer.... open and use....Use the brush they give you.... or your finger... keep a paper towel in the other hand and wipe off your finger before it dries and you'll be fine... use plenty...neatness does not count... being dry counts.... work it into threads and the rolled edge seam.... go a 1/4 inch past the edge and you'll get better seal that will last longer... let it dry the 24 hours, like the package says, and then some and you will be dry...

Pan

karo
01-14-2007, 18:32
This stuff is a no brainer.... open and use....Use the brush they give you.... or your finger... keep a paper towel in the other hand and wipe off your finger before it dries and you'll be fine... use plenty...neatness does not count... being dry counts.... work it into threads and the rolled edge seam.... go a 1/4 inch past the edge and you'll get better seal that will last longer... let it dry the 24 hours, like the package says, and then some and you will be dry...

Pan
I also recommend using talc powder on the seam after it fully dries. It prevents the seams from sticking together, which they tend to do long after they dry.