PDA

View Full Version : Old timer walks out on his own after night in NH woods

woodsy
01-13-2007, 10:13
This old timer didn't need a ride out (http://www.wmur.com/news/10728260/detail.html)
Refuses any rescue help.........

ed bell
01-13-2007, 13:45
An inspiring and refreshing story. Maybe folks can learn a thing or two about getting themselves out of their own jams. I did notice that his family was trying to lure him to the dark side with a cell phone, though.;)

emerald
01-13-2007, 14:15
I enjoy reading local news stories like that one. I'm not sure who has the sense of humor, Mr. Calkins, the story's author or as I suspect, both. I especially got a laugh out of his seeing the helicopters but not knowing anyone was looking for him because he wasn't lost and the comment about the young nurses.:D

woodsy
01-13-2007, 15:05
As for the cell phone gift, I doubt he'd ever bring it in the woods with him, he may pretend to though, just to get out of the house .
As for the helicopter business, I doubt he would have signaled to them had he known they were looking for him.
For him to have to be rescued by someone else would be unthinkable for this old timer, the ultimate humiliation.
He did have a pretty rough time falling in the brook and all the miles he put on ,an inspiration for sure.

emerald
01-13-2007, 15:55
As for the helicopter business, I doubt he would have signaled to them had he known they were looking for him. For him to have to be rescued by someone else would be unthinkable for this old timer, the ultimate humiliation.

He did have a pretty rough time falling in the brook and all the miles he put on ,an inspiration for sure.

His pride and/or stubborness may be no small part of why he's still alive. Had he followed the conventional wisdom and stayed put, odds are, he likely would have frozen to death.

GitRdone
01-13-2007, 15:58
I'm only 55... I would love to be hiking at 85... Gives me hope that there are a lot of hikes left in me...I've already informed the kids that I'll be more onery when I get older :sun

Jack Tarlin
01-13-2007, 17:00
I think the most important thing one can learn from reading this guy's story is that despite the fact that he was ill-equipped (no extra clothes, flashlight, maps, firestarter, etc.) he never seems to have panicked. Keeping a clear and steady head in an emergency can save your life; failing to do so can lead you to do foolish things.

There's a good deal of luck involved here, too, as the weather could've been worse; he could also have easily injured himself in the dark. But the key thing is this guy took active measures instead of just sitting around feeling sorry for himself, and in this particular case,this could have made a huge difference.

The other thing to learn from this story: It's easy to lose track of how much daylight you have left, and it's easy to lose a trail, even one well-known to you. People should ALWAYS bring some sort of emergency supplies with them on a hike, especially in cold weather. At the bare minimum: Map, clothes, food, water, light, firestarter. And of course, leave a note that will be seen, letting people know exactly where you'll be going, and what your plans are.

nitewalker
01-13-2007, 18:27
ya gotta love those kind of stories..some of those old men in their day would have put most of us to shame back in the day.. tuff skin and strong willed...

TJ aka Teej
01-13-2007, 21:38
Great story, thanks Woodsy!

weary
01-13-2007, 21:46
ya gotta love those kind of stories..some of those old men in their day would have put most of us to shame back in the day.. tuff skin and strong willed...
Right Nightwalker. I remember those "old" days vividly, as I'm sure you do. Oh the joys of walking 10 miles to school -- uphill both ways.

Weary

woodsy
01-13-2007, 22:37
Another article about this story says the mans pants were frozen solid from the knees down.

Old Hillwalker
01-13-2007, 22:39
Of course I am not yet an old timer, but I hope to be one of these years. One of the key things my father taught me as a young boy in rural New Hampshire was feeling comfortable being solo in the woods. He told me many times that, if caught out hunting or just exploring at dark to just sit back against a tree and let the night pass. Of course he wasn't talking about winter, but I was in the woods during all seasons.

My first overnight solo was at fourteen. It was intended, and the memories of that night's thunderstorm are still vivid today.

There are still some tough old timers up here and elsewhere.

Our cell phones were three shots from a rifle, repeated as necessary. Everyone in the mountains knew what that signified.

budman5
01-13-2007, 22:42
Just a 13 oz tarp would add alot of comfort in an unplanned overniter

Pokey2006
01-14-2007, 05:16
I ditto what Jack said about always bringing emergency supplies. Bare minimum: plenty of snack food that doesn't require cooking, rain gear, enough warm clothes for the conditions expected, a map, maybe a cellphone, and a HEADLAMP. Never leave home without the headlamp!

However, I wonder if they'll charge him for the rescue costs? That happens quite a bit in NH. I've read about cases where people didn't really need to be rescued, but still got hit with a big bill. There are a lot of fools out there, but I sometimes think the "rescuers" jump the gun a bit.

This is part of the reason why I hesitate to tell my folks where I'll be hiking...afraid that if I'm 30 minutes late checking in, or I change my plans and decide to stay overnight instead of day hike, that they'll send in the National Guard!

weary
01-14-2007, 12:46
...However, I wonder if they'll charge him for the rescue costs? That happens quite a bit in NH. I've read about cases where people didn't really need to be rescued, but still got hit with a big bill. There are a lot of fools out there, but I sometimes think the "rescuers" jump the gun a bit.....!
I started too late to enjoy the fun, but during the big southern March snows of '93 helicopter wielding rescuers were forcing hikers with winter gear and a week's supply of food to evacuate against their will, according to the stories I've heard from "survivors."

Weary

ed bell
01-14-2007, 13:00
I started too late to enjoy the fun, but during the big southern March snows of '93 helicopter wielding rescuers were forcing hikers with winter gear and a week's supply of food to evacuate against their will, according to the stories I've heard from "survivors."

WearyThat event set a couple of records down here.http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/climate/extremes.html

stumpy
01-14-2007, 14:36
I ditto what Jack said about always bringing emergency supplies. Bare minimum: plenty of snack food that doesn't require cooking, rain gear, enough warm clothes for the conditions expected, a map, maybe a cellphone, and a HEADLAMP. Never leave home without the headlamp!

However, I wonder if they'll charge him for the rescue costs? That happens quite a bit in NH. I've read about cases where people didn't really need to be rescued, but still got hit with a big bill. There are a lot of fools out there, but I sometimes think the "rescuers" jump the gun a bit.

This is part of the reason why I hesitate to tell my folks where I'll be hiking...afraid that if I'm 30 minutes late checking in, or I change my plans and decide to stay overnight instead of day hike, that they'll send in the National Guard!

That reminds me of a time that I was hiking in Florida, during hunting season. We told our wives if we were not back in two days, to send someone after us (just joking about the hunting season). Well, we get started down river and discovered that we were lead astray by the people that helped us plan the hike. It was going to take us an extra day to finish. We had the time, but we told our wives to come for us if we did not call. Long story short, we spent the night and backtracked to the first car, just becouse we didn't want the Florida National Guard looking for us. I guess we live and learn!