PDA

View Full Version : My new tent! The Nemo Moprho... Check it out!

Socrates
01-13-2007, 14:50
You who know me probably want to kill me right now after all your advice, but I decided to go with the Nemo Morpho tent. Anyway, since it's a new design, I took some photos of it to share with everyone because the web hardly does it justice for its versatility and even my photos don't show how god the room is inside. Please don't sling negativity. It's my back and my sleep and my HOME! I just wanted to share it with you. I love it! I'm not a pro, but if you have any general questions, I'll try to be of help!
~ Socrates

Socrates
01-13-2007, 14:51
Crap, I forgot to mention to just click on my gallery of photos to see it...

rafe
01-13-2007, 15:37
5.7 lbs for a solo tent???? Glad it's not my back.

Socrates
01-13-2007, 16:05
It's only 3 pounds extra than the average lightweight tent and for the features, it can't be beat. But to make up for the weight, I've decided to hike naked!

hammock engineer
01-13-2007, 16:17
If your happy with it, then go with it. After all, like you said you are the one using it.

If you are hiking naked that's cool too. Just start after my mid March start date.:D :D

Socrates
01-13-2007, 16:33
5.7 lbs for a solo tent???? Glad it's not my back.

Oh and it may be a solo hike, but not a solo tent. It quite comfortably sleeps 2 people. There's no picture that does it justice. It's angles are deceiving. The only way is to stand in front of one and look in.

brotheral
01-13-2007, 16:36
That's a beautiful tent....I remember bringing home my 1st backpacking tent. I was so excited, I set it up in the living room for a few days !!
Best Wishes for a successful / enjoyable Thru-hike !!

chicote
01-13-2007, 16:42
That looks like a pretty cool tent. I've been eyeing their products for a while. I bet you could save weight if you took out two air tubes and just carried one spare. When is your start date. I'd love to check it out in person.

Chicote

rafe
01-13-2007, 16:58
Oh and it may be a solo hike, but not a solo tent. It quite comfortably sleeps 2 people. There's no picture that does it justice. It's angles are deceiving. The only way is to stand in front of one and look in.

You're a young man, Socrates. You're still thinking with your 'nads, I'm thinking of my back. Different priorities. ;) Have fun.

Socrates
01-13-2007, 17:06
That looks like a pretty cool tent. I've been eyeing their products for a while. I bet you could save weight if you took out two air tubes and just carried one spare. When is your start date. I'd love to check it out in person.

Chicote

It only uses 2. If I took those out, it would lay flat as a rock. They run along the 2 black vertical lines. It comes with 2 spare bladders and they aren't very heavy at all. But the material is pretty tough so it shouldn't be an issue.

Socrates
01-13-2007, 17:06
Thanks brotheral.

Socrates
01-13-2007, 17:11
Oh and beginning to middle of March is my start date. Haven't decided yet. I might be starting out with a buddy so it depends.

HAHA terrapin! Maybe I should play some B-52s Love Shack music while setting it up? lol No, really, any buddy is welcome to crash with me if they need to or just wanna hang out during a storm.

superman
01-13-2007, 17:13
When I was a young man I hiked with 60 to 80 lb packs. Most of the weight was ammo. When I hiked the AT my pack was 35 to 40 lb. Now I try to keep my pack weight in the teens. I'm kind of slow so it took me a couple thousand miles on the AT to figure out why ultra light hikers smile so much. You don't have to take as long as I did to figure it out. Simply put you pay a price for every pound you carry. There are times when less is more. Have a great hike.

iamscottym
01-13-2007, 18:02
I'm curious to know what exactly is so heavy on that tent. Is it just the fabric? I experimented with inflated tubes but decided I didn't have the sewing skills needed to make the rest of the tent so I gave up.

Also, isn't that tent like $450? I've been looking at a hubba hubba with carbon poles, and maybe a new fly. With the carbon poles the hubba comes out to 4lb flat avg packed weight, for $430 (tent:300, poles 130). I will admit your tent is friggin cool though.

nitewalker
01-13-2007, 18:41
north face tadpole 23

nitewalker
01-13-2007, 18:47
that tent looks rather large. is it on the larger side of 2 person tent or in the middle range? my n face tad pole is on the smaller side of 2 person tents..off hand i cant rememberthe specs..i belive around 4lbs without the stakes..too each their own.......peace

nitewalker
01-13-2007, 18:59
they have that tent at moosejaw for 423.75$..they say it is a 2-3 person tent 40sq ft and the vestibule is another 14...5.7lbs....do you need a 3 person tent for one person on the trail? trail tail is not as common as you may hope...lol anyway good luck out there

Trillium
01-13-2007, 19:05
that is a sweet-looking tent. after you're married and have a baby, the 3 of you will fit cosily inside. :sun

Socrates
01-13-2007, 19:15
I'm curious to know what exactly is so heavy on that tent. Is it just the fabric? I experimented with inflated tubes but decided I didn't have the sewing skills needed to make the rest of the tent so I gave up.

Also, isn't that tent like $450? I've been looking at a hubba hubba with carbon poles, and maybe a new fly. With the carbon poles the hubba comes out to 4lb flat avg packed weight, for $430 (tent:300, poles 130). I will admit your tent is friggin cool though.

Really, it's a combination between the fabric and the air beams. Not any particular part tips the scale. You can get it for sale on moosejaw.com for $425. If you want the 4oz foot pump, which I higly recommend, that's another $65. It comes with a "blow and squeeze" inflator but I went blue in the face with that thing. Plus the foot pump has it inflated in less than a minute. Also, it can be done from the inside if weather is bad. Bewteen the ventilation, multiple doors, large vestibule, and different ways to have it, I'd say it's worth it. Some on here would disagree. But since I've never hiked with a 14 pound pack, I guess I'll never know what I'm missing out on. ; )

Tabasco
01-13-2007, 19:17
I'm guessing Franklin, Fontana at the latest, when it gets shipped home.

Socrates
01-13-2007, 19:19
that is a sweet-looking tent. after you're married and have a baby, the 3 of you will fit cosily inside. :sun

BABY?! :eek: Haha I'm not trying to have kids on the trail! I just like to have room. If a second person wants to get in, they'll fit with no problems. But 3 would be pushing it.

Socrates
01-13-2007, 19:21
I'm guessing Franklin, Fontana at the latest, when it gets shipped home.

If I send my tent home because of 3 extra pounds, you can bet that I'll be on the plane right behind it because I don't belong out there.

chicote
01-13-2007, 19:52
If I send my tent home because of 3 extra pounds, you can bet that I'll be on the plane right behind it because I don't belong out there.

Good point. People give him a break. HYOH yadda yadda. Plenty of people have hiked the trail with more and with less. I still think the tent is freaking cool!

Toolshed
01-13-2007, 19:52
Up until the late 80's - mid-90's, there were plenty of people walking around with 5 lb tents - It was THE WAY for many. I used a couple of very light tents back but my mainstay was my Eureka Timberlite - 4.5 lbs plus stakes. I personally like the extra room in a tent. Enjoy your hike.

Panzer1
01-13-2007, 20:43
What is the likelihood that the air tube will develop a hole and fail??

Panzer

Socrates
01-13-2007, 21:18
What is the likelihood that the air tube will develop a hole and fail??

Panzer

Not likely. 1- It's a durable material. 2- They're on the inside of the tent and out of the way from weather threats. Also out of the way from being abused inside by its inhabitants. 3- Unless you fold it up and do a dance on it with golf shoes on rocks, it's still protected. I even read somewhere that someone introduced it to a knife and it passed the test. The angle and how much pressure they applied is unknown and I certainly won't be taking it to this extreme to find out. If there is a failure, it also comes with 2 spare bladders which can easily be inserted through velcro flaps. I think if there were to be a hole, it would be from over-inflating the air beams, but it's not very hard to figure out when enough is enough because you can feel the resistance in the pump. Long term wear and tear? I'll let you know when I come back from my thru hike! ::crossing fingers::

4eyedbuzzard
01-13-2007, 21:36
...It comes with a "blow and squeeze" inflator but I went blue in the face with that thing...

Hmm, blue in the face and you haven't even carried it up the first hill yet.:D

Just joking, that is one beautiful tent.

Tabasco
01-13-2007, 22:24

Is in Knoxville, TX, about an hour away from Fontana. Magee-Tyson Airport

buckowens
01-14-2007, 00:01
Looks like a great tent! You can lay in the end and look at the stars and easily pull down the fly if it gets rainy. As we saw with the Yugo (dating myself here), smaller (lighter) is not always better...

Bloodroot
01-14-2007, 10:34
It is a cool looking tent. Am wondering like the rest of why it's so heavy? And it is aweful big for solo hiking. BUT, what I always like to do is allow some weight in my pack for creature comforts. For me it was MP3 (gotta have some tunes). For you it's a 1000 sq/ft tent!:)

Have you done a shake-down yet to see how you are weighing out? Believe me you WILL be thankful for every ounce you can shake off.

rafe
01-14-2007, 10:44
Believe me you WILL be thankful for every ounce you can shake off.

Some folks take longer to figure this out than others. I'm one of the slow learners. That's not to say that you can't haul 50 lbs from Springer to Katahdin. Thousands have. I think even Earl Shaffer's pack was pushing 50 lbs. (The 1998 hike, he was 79) But he did do a fair amount of bitching and moaning on that last thru.

Speaking personally, there is at least one other point in favor of smaller tents (and bivvies and tarps): it's that much easier to locate a useable tent site. Bigger footprints limit your options.

There was a period (way, pre-AT) where I did some solo hiking with a Eureka Timberline, which (IIRC) weighed 6 lbs or so. Mostly for not knowing better, though. Socrates can't use that excuse.

rickb
01-14-2007, 10:57
Its not one heavy item that kills you, its a lot of heavy items.

My guess is that if Socrates doesn't have the middle-aged beer gut that so many of the rest of us have earned, he is already winning the weight game.

ed bell
01-14-2007, 11:17
Speaking personally, there is at least one other point in favor of smaller tents (and bivvies and tarps): it's that much easier to locate a useable tent site. Bigger footprints limit your options. If he's the only one in the tent, then he just needs a flat space for one person and some extra clearance. Not gonna be that big a deal.

ed bell
01-14-2007, 11:19
Its not one heavy item that kills you, its a lot of heavy items.

My guess is that if Socrates doesn't have the middle-aged beer gut that so many of the rest of us have earned, he is already winning the weight game.Good point Rick.

superman
01-14-2007, 13:37
I'm betting he talks to someone at Walasi-Yi . I remember young men like Hill Topper who easily carried a dozen hard covered books in a monster heavy pack. Some get away with it and some don't. Some can't relate their feet problems with their pack weight. Some have no problem carrying a piano from GA to ME. I remember two guys who had just come from the outfitter and were carrying a 100 lbs of light weight gear. They liked each piece of special gear but they weren't smiling.

rickb
01-14-2007, 14:18
I just wanted to be the first to add that if the 'vette in the background of those photos is yours, you should trade it in and buy a Toyota.

Better gas milage, safe, much more reliable. Not to mention, you will attract a whole different class of woman.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Rick B

rafe
01-14-2007, 14:33
Better gas milage, safe, much more reliable. Not to mention, you will attract a whole different class of woman.

. . . LOL. :)

superman
01-14-2007, 15:38
"I just wanted to be the first to add that if the 'vette in the background of those photos is yours, you should trade it in and buy a --------."

What's he do with that "vette during mud season?

Socrates
01-14-2007, 16:40
I just wanted to be the first to add that if the 'vette in the background of those photos is yours, you should trade it in and buy a Toyota.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Rick B

Haha, once I posted the pictures, I saw the Stingray in the background and was betting that it was going to get mentioned. That's my dad's car. I drive another gas drinker, Ford Explorer. But I must say that gas mileage has never bothered me. I'be had sports cars since my driver's license so I'm use to it. As far as safety in his car, hey, you only live once and it's worth it when you listen to that engine and smoke almost every car on the road... And a different class of women? HAHA I drive that car and have noticed that it's every girls type! ;)

white rabbit
01-14-2007, 18:09
Go with what you like to start. You may stick with it to the end but you always have the freedom to change your mind later. It's your hike and it's your decision.

4eyedbuzzard
01-14-2007, 19:25
Originally Posted by rickboudrie
Not to mention, you will attract a whole different class of woman.

No one ever thinks about maintenance while they are in the showroom.:datz

Originally Posted by superman
What's he do with that "vette during mud season?

Mud season in Florida?:confused:

Originally Posted by Socrates
Haha, once I posted the pictures, I saw the Stingray in the background and was betting that it was going to get mentioned.

Well ya know, fast flashy car, big flashy tent - those of us with tiny cars and less impressive pup tents:o, might suggest that you are compensating.:D

Gray Blazer
01-14-2007, 20:03
Every season is mud season in FL.:sun

fonsie
01-20-2007, 11:17
Hike your own hike man...Im thinking of going with the golite hut1 .....its 15ounces, im trying to save my back....Im starting on the 25 of march .....mabe I will catch up to you since you are going to carry that heavy tent...LOL :) ,.....see you out there man ....

Kerosene
01-20-2007, 11:53
It comes with 2 spare bladders and they aren't very heavy at all.I'm always concerned when someone notes that a piece of gears weighs "almost nothing".

Tipi Walter
01-20-2007, 11:58
Ah, the Blue Morpho . . . I like the tent, Socrates. New fangled ideas like inflatable tent poles come and go in backpacking gear, but it's your tent and your cozy shelter in the woods and I'm all for that.

The tent is a very common 2 pole hoop design favored by many tents over the years such as the Clip Flashlight and others. I had a North Face Westwind(3 poled hoop)that like yours stood up after the 2 ends were staked out. Is the front of your tent a vestibule area?

Don't worry about the weight, in fact, when you think of a heavy pack think of me. My current tent is a Hilleberg Staika and at 8 pounds(read it and weep)I wouldn't carry anything else. It is strong and can take 14 day trips to windswept mountain tops where the temps dip to zero and the windblown snow brings glee. BTW, I wonder what frigid temps would do to the air tubes on your tent? Does it have extra guyout lines? I imagine in a big blow your baby would surely bend and sway to each bad gust.

ed bell
01-20-2007, 12:22
BTW, I wonder what frigid temps would do to the air tubes on your tent? Does it have extra guyout lines? I imagine in a big blow your baby would surely bend and sway to each bad gust.Interesting question. If the tubes were blown up in 40 deg weather at dusk, what would they be like at 20 deg at say 5AM?

rafe
01-20-2007, 12:24
Interesting question. If the tubes were blown up in 40 deg weather at dusk, what would they be like at 20 deg at say 5AM?

Not that huge a difference. The T in the gas equation (PV=nRT) is relative to absolute zero (-273 degrees centigrade.)

ed bell
01-20-2007, 12:24
Flip side of that, inflate the tubes in the cold darkness then the warm sun hits the tent fly in the AM, would that cause problems? The tent fly can get downright hot in direct sun even if the ambient temperature is cold.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-20-2007, 13:19
::: bites Socrates on the tent pole :D ;):::

Hope this tent works out well for you. Keep us posted

Socrates
01-20-2007, 14:37
BTW, I wonder what frigid temps would do to the air tubes on your tent? Does it have extra guyout lines? I imagine in a big blow your baby would surely bend and sway to each bad gust.

I'm unsure of what temps will do, hopefuly nothing! And yes it comes with extra guyout lines. Foward to back, it's quite strong. Left to right, it probably would sway in a huge wind, but since they're filled with air, they pop right back out. I've pushed on the air beams and they're stiffer than you might think.
Also, I've been practicing by doing 12 miles in 3 hours without stopping. (The closest I can simulate since there aren't hills in Florida.) I've been carrying about 35lbs and my back feels untouched. My Dana Design Glacier does a great job of displacing the weight to my hips. I also have somewhat of a natural slouch to my posture. Maybe that helps too.

Socrates
01-20-2007, 14:40
::: bites Socrates on the tent pole :D ;):::

Hope this tent works out well for you. Keep us posted

Ha Thank you, me too! I'll keep occasional updates on computers along the way.

mike!
01-20-2007, 19:02
Nice tent Socrates! people wont be fighting for space in the shelters, they'll be fighting for space in your tent. *mike puts in reservations*
see ya out there!
mike!

mambo_tango
01-21-2007, 17:45
Nice tent Socrates! people wont be fighting for space in the shelters, they'll be fighting for space in your tent. *mike puts in reservations*
see ya out there!
mike!

My tent is slightly self-concious of it's weight so I will set it up next to your tent to avoid any eating disorders it may try to develop while on the trail:banana. I am going to avoid all those hammocks and tarptents too when setting up. See? My clip flashlight isn't so heavy after all.:D

Socrates
01-21-2007, 18:02
My tent is slightly self-concious of it's weight so I will set it up next to your tent to avoid any eating disorders it may try to develop while on the trail:banana. I am going to avoid all those hammocks and tarptents too when setting up. See? My clip flashlight isn't so heavy after all.:D

Only if you promise to not snore! I didn't get the soundproof option because it would have added 2 ounces and I didn't want that kind of weight.:eek:

rafe
01-21-2007, 18:11
Only if you promise to not snore! I didn't get the soundproof option because it would have added 2 ounces and I didn't want that kind of weight.:eek:

Did you get the room service and mini-bar and HBO option? WiFi?

Socrates
01-21-2007, 18:39
Did you get the room service and mini-bar and HBO option? WiFi?

No, after the pole and lap dance option, somehow I ran out of money!

Topcat
01-21-2007, 19:36
No, after the pole and lap dance option, somehow I ran out of money!

That option adds weight, having to keep all your money in One Dollar Bills is heavy.....

:D

rafe
01-21-2007, 19:44
Them magic fingers (http://www.cobo.org/goodman/glad2.html#hotel) make me feel alright!
They got a room service menu for food and drink
A porcelain throne and an aluminum sink
Two big pillows to rest my head
A Magic Fingers and a king-size bed

Put in a quarter
Turn out the light
Magic Fingers makes ya feel alright
Oh feel alright
Feel alright
Magic Fingers makes you feel alright

mambo_tango
01-22-2007, 02:40

When I was growing up my sister (Corentin) would complain that I breathed too loudly (or maybe she was complaining because I was breathing in the first place.. she was the youngest for 7 years before I came). I don't think that is technically snoring... Although I do sleep walk and talk on occasion. Just keep sharp objects out of my hands and everyone will be fine. :D

hammock engineer
01-22-2007, 04:33

Hey, leave us hammockers out of it. There we were hanging in the trees minding our own business, when you tent people come in and take up all the good ground spots.:eek:

Seriously though. Take your tent enjoy it. I have a theory that 60-75% of the people we are going to see start when we are going to are not going to put much thought into their gear. In the end, your gear is 1% of the hike. It's the other 99% that is going to determine how your hike goes.

The only reason people like us put so much thought into our gear is that there is not much else prep work we can do in the months leading up to our hike. When all we can think about is our hike.

Heater
01-22-2007, 07:48
Them magic fingers (http://www.cobo.org/goodman/glad2.html#hotel) make me feel alright!
They got a room service menu for food and drink

A porcelain throne and an aluminum sink

Two big pillows to rest my head

A Magic Fingers and a king-size bed

Put in a quarter

Turn out the light

Magic Fingers makes ya feel alright

Oh feel alright

Feel alright

Magic Fingers makes you feel alright

Magic fingers in the bed
Wall mounted TV screen
Coffee pot plugs into the bathroom wall
Formica's really keen...

Sardenia
01-22-2007, 09:31
Hey Socrates, go out and "hike" up Sugarloaf Mountain Road and Buck Hill Road in Central FL - Lake County, near Clermont - for a few practice sessions! You just might change your mind that FL doesn't have hills. Sure, we don't have the big hills of up north, but these two roads will suffice......nice tent BTW!

mambo_tango
01-22-2007, 14:02
Hey, leave us hammockers out of it. There we were hanging in the trees minding our own business, when you tent people come in and take up all the good ground spots.:eek:

The only reason people like us put so much thought into our gear is that there is not much else prep work we can do in the months leading up to our hike. When all we can think about is our hike.

I suppose I can share my ground space if I have to... and obsessing is half the fun!

brotheral
01-22-2007, 20:06
Nemo Morpho got "Special Mention" in the Tent section of Backpacker Magazine 2007 Gear Guide for coolest new technology !! March 2007 Issue.

Socrates
01-22-2007, 21:17
Nemo Morpho got "Special Mention" in the Tent section of Backpacker Magazine 2007 Gear Guide for coolest new technology !! March 2007 Issue.

Thanks for the info brotheral. I like the tent features as well, despite the weight.

rattler60
02-10-2007, 01:04
Socrates what's the packed size of the tent? And how long is the main body versus the vestibule when the front floor is up? I guess what I'm getting at is there room to sleep in the main part of the tube and have the vestibule option opened up?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-10-2007, 06:13
Magic fingers in the bed
Wall mounted TV screen
Coffee pot plugs into the bathroom wall
Formica's really keen...I want a guy from the trail whose done a thru, I want a guy from the trail whose done a thru.....
::: Zaps Austex with dino tail for giving her an earworm :D :::

hopefulhiker
02-10-2007, 06:29
For me there are three important features of a tent.
1.Weight
2. The weight
3. How much does it weigh?

My rule is the lighter, the better...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-10-2007, 06:44
Excellent point, HH, but the lightest weight tent isn't going to yield a happy camper unless it plus the rest of the set-up does what the camper needs it to do - keeps them warm and dry, protects them from bugs if they mind bugs, and sets up / breaks down quickly and easily.

I wouldn't carry a tent with the weight to space ratio of the Nemo, but then (having been in a head-on collusion) I wouldn't drive a fiberglass car either. Different people have different wants / needs and their shelters need to address their needs.

hopefulhiker
02-10-2007, 06:46
Yes, FD, I have seen some miserable tarpers in my time...

OntheRoad
02-10-2007, 14:34
I understand the whole HYOH philosophy, but that is one heavy tent man! What was wrong with a sub 3 lb solo tent like the Sierra Designs lightyear?

I mean it's great that you are training with a 35 lb pack, but that's just it. Is your pack really going to be only 35 lbs with food and water? Mine will be around 25-30 and I carry some pretty light stuff. Also, you have to remember that hiking in Florida is going to be nothing like hiking up and down steep hills and mountains.

Like I said, you can hike your own hike, but remember that there is a good reason why people go lightweight. There is also a reason why more experienced hikers try and give advice to people buying their first pieces of gear, because many times you will wish you would have bought something different down the road. **** I wish I would have bought a tarptent instead of my 2lb 14oz tent. I also wish I wouldn't have bought a 5.5 lb backpack for my first pack because I am going to be using a 2lb 1 oz one for my hike, but I didn't know any better.

Big Dawg
03-13-2007, 10:59
I heard Socrates dropped the Nemo Morpho tent at the Amicalola lodge, 1 mile up the approach trail. Not sure what he's carrying now?

Big Dawg
03-13-2007, 11:03

He hasn't booked a flight home yet.

big_muddy
03-13-2007, 11:23
they have that tent at moosejaw for 423.75$..they say it is a 2-3 person tent 40sq ft and the vestibule is another 14...5.7lbs....do you need a 3 person tent for one person on the trail? trail tail is not as common as you may hope...lol anyway good luck out there

For $423 I hope it would inflate itself . . . 5.7 lb. I wouldn't even take that on a weekend trip. Compare that to a tarptent, or my favorite, six moon designs.

Gray Blazer
03-13-2007, 11:34
Hey Socrates, go out and "hike" up Sugarloaf Mountain Road and Buck Hill Road in Central FL - Lake County, near Clermont - for a few practice sessions! You just might change your mind that FL doesn't have hills. Sure, we don't have the big hills of up north, but these two roads will suffice......nice tent BTW!

Sardinia, How do you get to these roads from Clermont? I couldn't find them on Maptech. Thanks.

JJB
03-13-2007, 12:31
I just got to see a couple of the Nemo tents at the Wilderness House in Boston. Heavy but a very cool idea. Once they work some light fabrics into the mix it should be a very cool unit. Peace. J.J.B.

Tabasco
03-20-2007, 10:06

When did the finding nemo tent head home? Genuinely sorry that YOU are home.....

DrewNC2005
03-20-2007, 12:58
I heard Socrates dropped the Nemo Morpho tent at the Amicalola lodge, 1 mile up the approach trail. Not sure what he's carrying now?

That is hilarious!

vipahman
03-20-2007, 14:19
So he's hiking naked, has room for him and his buddy in the tent and is not planning to have kids on the trail. It's painting quite a picture! :eek:

BTW, I like the tent concept but not the weight.

Franco
03-21-2007, 05:19
Some of you guys forget that this is supposed to be a leisure activity and not a competition. If you feel that using a shopping bag as shelter is more than adequate, good for you. We all like to make some funny comments and have a go at each other, but this "hoping" that Socrates fails is not very constructive and does not encourage others to participate. I too find the Nemo too heavy but I am not carrying it , at the same time I very much admire the "out of the square" design.
Franco

Heater
03-21-2007, 05:33
Some of you guys forget that this is supposed to be a leisure activity and not a competition. If you feel that using a shopping bag as shelter is more than adequate, good for you. We all like to make some funny comments and have a go at each other, but this "hoping" that Socrates fails is not very constructive and does not encourage others to participate. I too find the Nemo too heavy but I am not carrying it , at the same time I very much admire the "out of the square" design.
Franco

Well... Thing is... he already quit and went home.

He was a badass, took nobody's sane advice, and was schooled by the trail. Hey, that is the reason for the responses he is getting. Right or wrong, there it is!

Jaybird
03-21-2007, 06:24
..........I decided to go with the Nemo Morpho tent. Anyway, since it's a new design, I took some photos of it to share with everyone because the web hardly does it justice for its versatility .....~ Socrates

you're NOT a LITE-packer...
It might look COOOL... but, DAMN! 5+ LBS!

it wouldnt be in my BIG FOUR!:D

rafe
03-21-2007, 07:13

He was a badass, took nobody's sane advice, and was schooled by the trail. Hey, that is the reason for the responses he is getting. Right or wrong, there it is!

He did replace his tent early on. At Hiawasee, he was still doing fine. From what he said, his departure from the trail wasn't due to physical problems or fatigue.

atmooney
03-25-2007, 17:48
That is a bad A** tent! Little more room...Nice! Little heavier? Maybe... Better sleeping? Probably! Good luck!

Socrates
04-01-2007, 23:20

Quit, meaning I gave up? And I got schooled eh? You don't know me LilTex and if you did, you wouldn't be talking out your a**. I had a great time out there. No blisters, no back aches, A LOT of sweat sometimes, but I smiled the majority of every day and smoked a menthol because I can. Why am I home? Those who need to know, already know. All I have to say is FAMILY FIRST and I made the right decision.
Oh, and now I have 2 awsome tents. :D

Heater
04-02-2007, 01:31
Quit, meaning I gave up? And I got schooled eh? You don't know me LilTex and if you did, you wouldn't be talking out your a**. I had a great time out there. No blisters, no back aches, A LOT of sweat sometimes, but I smiled the majority of every day and smoked a menthol because I can. Why am I home? Those who need to know, already know. All I have to say is FAMILY FIRST and I made the right decision.
Oh, and now I have 2 awsome tents. :D

Oh, settle down wildflower. I am sure the trail will kick my ass for a couple of weeks too. And I will not be carrying a 6 pound tent. ;) :D

Hope all is OK with you family.

Heather
04-04-2007, 23:18
I would definately choose that tent if I didn't have to carry it.

Heater
04-05-2007, 00:42
I would definately choose that tent if I didn't have to carry it.

Might wanna check out the Stephenson tents. Kind of similar but lighter.

http://www.warmlite.com/start.htm

http://www.warmlite.com/newtent/newtent.htm

Heather
04-05-2007, 14:35
Those are nice tents! Actually, I was just joking about choosing the 6 pound tent and a pump to go with it. If I had a pack horse maybe, then it would have a place to sleep. I have a lunar solo. It works.

trlhiker
04-10-2007, 21:02
The reason it was said that you got schooled Socrates is because you unloaded your heavy tent for a lighter one like so many people here told you too before but you would not listen. Hope all is well with your family and there is always next year. By the way, this has been a very entertaining thread.

Yahtzee
04-10-2007, 22:03
I'm not so much concerned about the weight as finding suitable spots to set it up. How does it set up in the woods? How large an area does it cover? Other than that, great tent. If you can carry it, you will be the envy of your hiker friends every night. That envy might help you carry it the next day.

trlhiker
04-11-2007, 18:57
He sent it home after the first few days and bought another tent and then went home shortly thereafter for family problems.

anarky321
05-12-2008, 19:02
i know im resurrecting a thread here, but i just bought a Nemo Morpho AR and i just wanted to point out that to some people shelter is more important than to others; for me personally, as far as weight cutting goes, shelter is the last thing i downsize on; part of this has to do wth the fact that i spend alot of time in my tent just like i spend alot of time in my room when im home and a home away from home just isnt something id cut corners on; im sure there are many others that feel the same

there are people that carry light tents but then bring pots and pans and stoves and fuel ETC. with them; UL is great but not when its a 'racing' attitude about hiking - isnt hiking supposed to be about enjoying the scenery and taking your time, not getting from point A to point B as fast as you can?

regardless of this, as far as pack weights go, everyone is different; some people can carry alot more weight comfortably than others (im no pack mule but im pretty sure i could carry a much heavier pack comfortably than a 5'3" woman with a slim build); what's "heavy" differs from person to person, not to mention that some people have strong preferences for shelter just like others need to have cooking gear with them even though cooking gear is NOT a necessity but a luxury; i dont want to single out cooking gear i could go on about clothing, pads and 'first aid kits' but i think the point is clear

ok im done ranting lol

Tobit
05-13-2008, 15:51
isnt hiking supposed to be about enjoying the scenery
It sure is, so tell me how you do this when, as you said, you spend a lot of time inside your tent. :confused:

When out hiking, inside a tent is the last place I want to be. A tent, or shelter, only needs to do two things for me. Keep me dry and block the wind while I am sleeping otherwise I am outside of the shelter. I get outside to enjoy nature, locking myself up in a thick double wall tent that weighs close to a half gallon of water doesn't accomplish this for me very efficiently.

But, HYOH as they say.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-13-2008, 16:43
It sure is, so tell me how you do this when, as you said, you spend a lot of time inside your tent. :confused:I'm with you on this - the least amount of shelter to get the job done - a tarp and whatever is necessary below it to protect from cold, wind, wet, bugs, etc. as needed. Zip up tight in a tent is no way to enjoy the wilderness, but HYOH