PDA

View Full Version : While We're on the Subject of Wind Screens. . .

dperry
01-14-2007, 01:20
I have an old propane stove that has a tripodal arrangement. There are two legs, and the canister makes the third leg. Any suggestions on how to do a windscreen for this?

Michele
01-14-2007, 01:22
Do you have a pic of this?

dperry
01-14-2007, 02:03
Do you have a pic of this?

No, unfortunately. The cooking surface is a relatively stretched-thin oval. The two legs stick out from one end of the oval, and the canister sticks out from the other. It basically makes a very tall, thin isoceles triangle.

magic_game03
01-14-2007, 02:07
Damm, I hate seeing this post keep rolling by. I've been useing the same windscreen design since '03 and it still ain't been copied by the mass hiker crowd. I keep thinking nobody likes it till i hear, "hellkat, I tried to make one of those at home and I just couldn't remember how you said to make it" over and over again. sometime this year I'm going to get a video clip of how to make it on youtube.com. My 4th digital camera just died over by mt Shasta or I would put one up this weekend. Oh, wait. I just thought of something. hold the thought, I'm going to get something up on youtube.com this weekend.

oldfivetango
01-14-2007, 09:09
If you are rich (and have 10 bucks) you can buy a
very nice one from anti-gravity gear or you could go
buy a $12 pair of snips and a $20 roll of flashing and
save all that by making your own!
Cheers.
OFT

sparky2000
01-14-2007, 10:28
Hike a lot and you will find one in a hiker box someday. That's how I got mine. Did cut it down an inch. Hold it together with paper clips. Store it and the cooking & fire gear in an empty and cut down plastic gallon milk container. The container seconds as a good water holder while camping.

Peaks
01-14-2007, 10:55
In reality, alcohol stoves are the only stoves that really need a wind screen because of the low heat output with alcohol.

If you have a canister stove, or a stove with a fuel tank, then you don't want a tight windscreen because it may overheat the canister or fuel tank.

For stoves with an attached fuel bottle (like whisperlite), or propane tank, a windscreen around the burner, but not the fuel bottle, will help. For this, almost any light metal will do. MSR sells their windscreen separately. You could use flashing, disposable aluminum oven liner, or possible a couple of layers of aluminum foil.

magic_game03
01-14-2007, 11:08
In reality, I don't think you could be more wrong, peaks. I've used most every style and type stove along the trail and every one of them benifitted from the wind screens presence. I typically hike in winter, when it's cold and windy, but to make a blanket statement like that is false in my opinion.

veteran
01-14-2007, 12:11
No, unfortunately. The cooking surface is a relatively stretched-thin oval. The two legs stick out from one end of the oval, and the canister sticks out from the other. It basically makes a very tall, thin isoceles triangle.

Something like this:

Rufous Sided Towhee
01-14-2007, 13:40
I made a perfectly good lightweight windscreen from a heavy-duty aluminum-foil disposbale turkey-roasting pan. Cost $1.00 at the Dollar Tree.

Was quite proud of myself, at first. But despite turning over all the edges to make a "seam", the thing was somehow still horribly dangerous, and I was cutting myself constantly. Once quite badly when shoving my hand into the stove stuff-sack and slicing a cuticle from nail to first joint (ouch).

Now I use an old msr windscreen, the one that came w/my wisperlite.

dperry
01-14-2007, 17:19
Something like this:

Exactly like that. Thanks.