PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn Micro - quick report

rafe
01-14-2007, 11:16
I picked up one of these (http://www.rei.com/product/47875595.htm) at REI yesterday.

Several months ago I "retired" my MSR filter in favor of a Katadyn Hiker. That took me from 19 oz to 14 oz. Still too much. The Katadyn Micro, trail-ready, weighs about 6 oz. out of the package, and 8 oz once the filtration elements get wet. It's basically a flexible water bottle with two filtration elements inside: glass matrix (like other Katadyn filters) followed by charcoal. "Pumping" pressure in this case comes from squeezing the bottle.

The filtration elements (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47875597&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&addon=720270-720271&ext_cat=undefined) are attached to the bottle lid and occupy the center of the bottle, taking about 5 oz. worth of fluid volume. The bottle has a "payload" of about 20 oz of water. You could think of this as a heavy water bottle (8 oz) that carries 20 oz of water and happens to also be a water filter.

This filter would allow you to "camel up" at water sources, which is one thing you really can't do with chemical water treatments. Does anyone know of any water filtration systems that are lighter than this? I know of the ULA "Amiga Pro" which is spec'd at 7.5 oz.

DareN
01-14-2007, 12:10
Thanks for posting about this. I have been thinking of getting one of these. To answer your question, I don't know of any filter lighter than this. Katadyn does make the minifilter, which is supposed to weigh 8 oz. I would suspect the hoses, prefilter, sinker and storage bag add a couple oz to that. TT, I have a dumb question about your Micro. Are you able to get filtered water out of the bottle by say, just squeezing it and letting it run into a pot or a larger water carrier, or do you have to suck it and drink it straight from the bottle?

rafe
01-14-2007, 12:44
No sucking. ;) Squeeze does the job. You get maybe 1/3 to 2/3 oz of water with each squeeze. You can squeeze the output jet into any container.

Way I see this... you save 6 oz by replacing a handle-pump mechanism for a water bottle plus less efficient squeeze-pump mechanism.

DareN
01-14-2007, 17:27
TT, that's what I needed to know, thanks. I think your analysis is right also. You can always put a bandana over the bottle opening before filling to pre-filter any floaties. I'm just used to carrying a regular filter in Florida because we don't have any of those nice fast moving mountain streams :) .