PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Jo Mary Road in Maine?

adrifft
01-14-2007, 18:06
I am planning section hike in Maine, in mid-summer, and I want to access the AT at Jo Mary Road, near Millinockett. Does anyone have any advice on access there, shuttles from Millinockett, and the trail in general from there to Katahdin? Staying at the following shelters along the way - - Potaywadjo Spring, Wadleigh Stream, Rainbow Spring Lean-to, Hurd Brook, and Katahdin Stream Campground. Planning to park the car at Katahdin Stream and shuttle back to Jo Mary Road so that I will be walking towards the car. Any shared experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

weary
01-14-2007, 18:58
I am planning section hike in Maine, in mid-summer, and I want to access the AT at Jo Mary Road, near Millinockett. Does anyone have any advice on access there, shuttles from Millinockett, and the trail in general from there to Katahdin? Staying at the following shelters along the way - - Potaywadjo Spring, Wadleigh Stream, Rainbow Spring Lean-to, Hurd Brook, and Katahdin Stream Campground. Planning to park the car at Katahdin Stream and shuttle back to Jo Mary Road so that I will be walking towards the car. Any shared experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!
Your best bet is to leave your car at the AT crossing on the Jo Mary road. Parking is severely limited at Katahdin Stream. You may be able to get away with leaving your car at Katahdin Stream, but I believe it is against park rules, though TJ is a better rule source. During the summer access for day hikers stops when the parking lots are filled, thus you may well be blocking chances of a day hiker climbing in the park during your walk north.

Shuttles are available in Monson, Millinocket, and probably Brownville that will take you from Baxter back to your car. Millinocket and Brownville would probably be the cheapest. The Jo Mary Road intersects Route 11 about half way between Millinocket and Brownville. Monson is out of the way.

Another possibility is to leave your care in Millinocket. It's an easy hitch from the park to Millinocket. I usually look around for someone in a half empty car preparing to leave the parking area and just ask for a ride.

Weary

Just a Hiker
01-14-2007, 19:33
Hi there adrift,

You won't be allowed to park at Katahdin Stream camp ground. They do not allow vehicles to be left in the park. Believe me when I tell you that your car will be towed away and you'll be banned from KSP for life. The park is very strict about those rules.

You could park at Shaws in Monson and have a guy named Buddy shuttle you to Jo-Mary Road. He's the cook at Shaws and also shuttles for a reasonable rate. Or you could park at the AT Lodge and get a shuttle to Jo-Mary Road. My friends ''Ole Man'' and ''Navagator'' have bought the AT Lodge and will be doing shuttles this year. Either one will work, but just don't leave your vehicle in the park because you will have a difficult and expensive time getting it back. Take care.....Just Jim

adrifft
01-14-2007, 19:52
Thanks Weary and Just Jim, for your posts. Definitely for the advice about parking. Really helpful.

TJ aka Teej
01-14-2007, 23:31
That's a nice section of trail, might be a bit wet, nothing too difficult, but with some great blueblazes if you want to add spice to your hike. Go old-school and visit White House Landing, nice folks and a time-machine rest stop.
As noted there's no long-term parking inside Baxter for people hiking out of the Park. (You can leave cars for several days only if you're backcountry hiking and the permit needs to be displayed. Some wiseguys try to stay overnight with a just a day pass, so the lots are checked for that reason and for safety's sake - to see if anyone's missing or late.)
Linda, a real friend to ATers at the Abol Bridge Store, allows on site parking for no fee - and no liability, youse takes your chances. I haven't heard of any break-ins during the summer hiking season for many years.
Buddy in Millinocket is the real deal and a great guy. He knows his stuff, and can get anyone anywhere. WB member Boarstone also shuttles and food drops up there. Just remember that long distances and many hours may be involved in shuttles or car drops - it can therefore be expensive.

TJ < the ALDHA Companion volunteer for that section

Ole Man
01-15-2007, 21:57
NaviGator & I will be at the AT Lodge in Millinocket after May 1. We will be offering a shuttle service so if we can help you out just let us know.

Shutterbug
01-15-2007, 22:26

You didn't mention stopping at White House Landing. Bill and Linda definitely serve the best hamburger in the 100 Mile Wilderness.

Another option for your car is to park it at Abol Bridge. That is outside of Baxter State Park. You can park it at the campground for a reasonable fee. It is less likely to be vandalized there than if you parked it on the road.

weary
01-15-2007, 22:46
[SIZE=3]

Vandalism happens, even in Maine, but FWIW in all these decades, I've yet to have a car vandalized when parked at a trail head, though once the kid across the street, as near as I could tell, drove my car out of my driveway, drove it 15 miles and left it stuck in the woods, a quarter mile from his grandmother's house. It took the cops two weeks to find it.

Weary

adrifft
01-15-2007, 23:21
Thanks to all for your posts. They are most helpful.

Askus3
01-16-2007, 02:27
I have one more alternative to this plan. Why not place your car at Golden Road at Abol Bridge. Get a shuttle to JoMary Road then hike northbound. When you get to your car you can resupply with stuff already in the car or go to Millinocket. Then continue with a two day hike to Katahdin staying at the Birches Backpackers CG. Then the next day climb Katahdin and return with the Blueberry ledge Trail which is a shortcut and trims the distance back to Abol Bridge significantly.

As for the trail - the terrain for this stretch until you climb Kathdin is very scenic and alot of lake shore hiking. Very easy to negotiate, only one small climb and that is short (Nesuntabunt). Enjoy this section - no real climbing to talk of.

TJ aka Teej
01-16-2007, 09:09
... to Katahdin staying at the Birches Backpackers CG. Then the next day climb Katahdin and return with the Blueberry ledge Trail which is a shortcut and trims the distance back to Abol Bridge significantly.

No Birches, unless you hike in from Monson. That's what the Park has decided 'Long Distance' means.
You should be able to get a spot at Katahdin Stream by calling Headquarters10 days before you plan to stay, if you haven't mail-ordered in four months in advance.
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html
Another option to your plan is to hike past Hurd Brook and stay at the Abol Pines campsite run by the State. Right across from the Abol Bridge Store, really nice riverside setting, good place to regroup before heading into the Park.

TREE-HUGGER
01-16-2007, 10:22
The only extra suggestion I could make would be to adjust from Potaywadjo Shelter to Antlers Campsite. It is simply one of the best on the entire trail from Ga-Me. Also take the short blue blaze on your left just past Antlers to the top of Potaywadjo Ridge, some of the best views on this section along with Nesuntabunt. Potaywadjo means "Wind over Mountain" in Abnaki. I would also consider making reservations for Baxter, leave your car at Abol and skip the section between Abol and Katahdin Stream to make life easier.

emerald
01-16-2007, 18:28
No Birches, unless you hike in from Monson. That's what the Park has decided 'Long Distance' means.
You should be able to get a spot at Katahdin Stream by calling Headquarters 10 days before you plan to stay, if you haven't mail-ordered in four months in advance.
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html
Another option to your plan is to hike past Hurd Brook and stay at the Abol Pines campsite run by the State. Right across from the Abol Bridge Store, really nice riverside setting, good place to regroup before heading into the Park.

With a car at Abol Bridge, you retain a host of options. A cell phone might be handy too. Maybe overnight at Abol Campground (BSP) and a circuit hike the next day as an alternate plan?

Were you to do that, you could day-hike Katahdin, have the peace of mind of having your pack in your car and end at your car. You could likely find a ride to Katahdin Stream Campground, if you prefer to camp there, from Abol Campground, should you desire to descend from Katahdin via a different route.

minnesotasmith
01-16-2007, 18:43
You didn't mention stopping at White House Landing. Bill and Linda definitely serve the best hamburger in the 100 Mile Wilderness.

Another option for your car is to park it at Abol Bridge. That is outside of Baxter State Park. You can park it at the campground for a reasonable fee. It is less likely to be vandalized there than if you parked it on the road.

That place is pricy, though. From the hot food to resupply hiker food to lodging, all are up there, even for Maine. Even Wingfoot classifies WHL as Lodging, not a Hostel, given their prices.

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2007, 18:54
Actually, due to their isolation and how far they have to go to get and bring back provisions, their prices are pretty reasonable. And nobody's forced to go there.

And incidentally, when you remember that your stay includes an AYCE breakfast, their prices really aren't that high after all.

weary
01-16-2007, 19:25
Actually, due to their isolation and how far they have to go to get and bring back provisions, their prices are pretty reasonable. And nobody's forced to go there.And incidentally, when you remember that your stay includes an AYCE breakfast, their prices really aren't that high after all.
Yeah. But it breaks up the sense of wildness, that makes Maine special.

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2007, 19:41
Oh, don't get me wrong, Weary.....I quite agree with you, and I never go there, choosing instead to leave Monson with extra provisions. I was merely disputing the allegation that they were over-priced. For those that feel the need for a cheesburger or pint of ice cream in the middle of nowhere, well, this place will take care of that. But it will cost a bit more than it would in one's home town, and not everyone is understanding of why this is.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 19:42
Yeah. But it breaks up the sense of wildness, that makes Maine special.

There's nothing "wild" about the so-called "100 mile wilderness".

emerald
01-16-2007, 19:44
Oh, don't get me wrong, Weary.....I quite agree with you, and I never go there, choosing instead to leave Monson with extra provisions. I was merely disputing the allegation that they were over-priced. For those that feel the need for a cheesburger or pint of ice cream in the middle of nowhere, well, this place will take care of that. But it will cost a bit more than it would in one's home town, and not everyone is understanding of why this is.

Cheeseburgers and ice cream are more expensive in Alaska too, I hear.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 19:54

The "Park" won't know the difference. Don't worry about it. That's elitist BS.

emerald
01-16-2007, 20:02

No, Wolf, I believe that's BSP regs and there are many other options as we've pointed out.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 20:08
No, Wolf, I believe that's BSP regs and there are many other options as we've pointed out.

It's hardly a felonious infraction. BSP has no way to enforce it. Nothing to worry about.

Fly By Mike
01-16-2007, 20:19

Right you are. I like to day hike pieces of it with access to the trail by 4wd or boat. White Cap is a very short day hike. Gulf Hagas the same. Nesundabunt also. And if you want ice cream when you get to the the airhorn for WHL call me on your cell and I'll deliver in my boat in about 20 minutes from the time you place your order.... if I like ya.

emerald
01-16-2007, 20:44
It's hardly a felonious infraction. BSP has no way to enforce it.

That may be so, but my point is that I expect the rule was created for a reason. That reason may well be that many if not most thru-hikers won't have a car or vehicular support and may be on a tight schedule, hence the special camping area and the rules concerning its use?

I notice the thread-starter does have a car and thus options. I'm tempted to say, am I making myself culear? I think that's someone else's line, however.;)

TJ aka Teej
01-17-2007, 00:10
L. Wolf is right, you can lie to the Ranger and say you've hiked in from Monson if you want to. The reward of that lie is you get a spot that's supposed to have been set aside for nobo LD hikers, that's 1/2 mile away from the AT, well within earshot/view of the perimeter road, with no water source, at $9 pp instead of the $18 2/person min at Katahdin Stream Campground. And of course, you'll be staying with other AT hikers who actually hiked in from Monson (or further) so you might have to lie to them too. Good plan, L. Wolf!

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 08:29
Wouldn't bother me any. But that's just me. Moving the northern terminus out of BSP is what the AT needs.

rafe
01-17-2007, 08:43

There sure was in 1990, but WHL wasn't there. When did you first do the 100-mile, Wolf? (IIRC, you quit two nobo hikes in Gorham... before we'd met.)

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 08:47
There sure was in 1990, but WHL wasn't there. When did you first do the 100-mile, Wolf? (IIRC, you quit two nobo hikes in Gorham... before we'd met.)

back in 91. WHL is not in view of the AT

rafe
01-17-2007, 08:57
Well, I'm just sayin'. It felt wild to me. There were days on end with no roads, no sound or sight of cars, nothing man-made at all except a shelter or pogue or the trail itself. River and stream crossings galore. Moose, otter, mushrooms. Snow. Nicest piece of AT I know of. Prolly the longest (un-interrupted) stretch I've done in the woods... about six or seven nights. Not something I'll forget.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 09:56
Well, I'm just sayin'. It felt wild to me. There were days on end with no roads, no sound or sight of cars, nothing man-made at all except a shelter or pogue or the trail itself. River and stream crossings galore. Moose, otter, mushrooms. Snow. Nicest piece of AT I know of. Prolly the longest (un-interrupted) stretch I've done in the woods... about six or seven nights. Not something I'll forget.

Days on end with no roads? You cross roads every day.

rafe
01-17-2007, 10:02
Days on end with no roads? You cross roads every day.

I must have blocked the memories, then. Maybe a logging road here and there. Certainly nothing paved, and no cars that I can recall. Haven't done it since fall of '90, it could be all different now. (OK, there was a short, maybe 0.25 mile roadwalk somewhere near WhiteCap, IIRC.)

Jack Tarlin
01-17-2007, 19:03
To Lone Wolf:

Re, your post #26 above:

If you actually believe that the Trail's northern terminus should be moved out of Baxter State Park and that the terminus be somewhere other than atop Katahdin, where exactly did you have in mind?

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 19:16
To Lone Wolf:

Re, your post #26 above:

If you actually believe that the Trail's northern terminus should be moved out of Baxter State Park and that the terminus be somewhere other than atop Katahdin, where exactly did you have in mind?

Whitecap Mountain

emerald
01-17-2007, 19:21
Whitecap Mountain

There's nothing to stop hikers from ending their hike at White Cap if they so choose.:rolleyes:

I often thought it would be tempting to end at Daicey Pond and never finish.;)

I'm beginning to observe threads repeating themselves. Maybe we should just post the link for anyone who cares.

Askus3
01-17-2007, 19:22
Forgive my stupidity - but what is a pogue? In post #29 by Terrapin Too it was referenced. Yes there are lots of red tape restrictions and beauracracy around hiking in Baxter Park. But there is no better place to start or finish a long distance hike than having a terminii on Katahdin. Also, if you ever moved it off of Katahdin, Avery would turn over in his grave. Moving it off Katahdin is the craziest post I have read in a long time. Maybe we should extend the AT into the middle of Okeffenokee swamp in southern Georgia, that way we can have a different kind of eco-system to hike thru. ;)

Jack Tarlin
01-17-2007, 19:26
Beautiful spot, but I'll still take Katahdin.

In the vast scheme of things, Katadin's few rules and regulations aren't that big a deal. I think that one of the main reasons that Baxter is such a great spot is BECAUSE these rules exist: If people and vehicles were allowed unlimited access to the Park; if they could camp wherever they wished; if Rangers didn't attempt to restrict certain aspects of guest's behavior; and most of all, if user fees weren't collected to pay for the Park's maintenance, Baxter would become a dump in short order.

People that wanna stop on Whitecap are welcome to do so; personally, I'd rather continue a few more days, register and pay a few paltry dollars for a campsite, and finish up on one of the most spectacular mountains in America.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 20:04
and finish up on one of the most spectacular mountains in America.

Katahdin pales in comparison to places out west. Desert southwest particularly.

rafe
01-17-2007, 20:23
Forgive my stupidity - but what is a pogue? In post #29 by Terrapin Too it was referenced.

As I understand and mean it: pogue is roughly synonymous with "boardwalk" .. any place where the trail has been augmented with wood underfoot. This (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/boardwalks2.html) would be a fairly elaborate example.

Yes there are lots of red tape restrictions and beauracracy around hiking in Baxter Park. But there is no better place to start or finish a long distance hike than having a terminii on Katahdin. Also, if you ever moved it off of Katahdin, Avery would turn over in his grave. Agree with all that. :)

Moving it off Katahdin is the craziest post I have read in a long time.That's just L. Wolf "stirring the *****t." It don't mean nothin'. He's just loves watchin' people hoot & howl over his bright ideas.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 20:33
I'm serious though. BSP means nothing to me. I've been up Katahdin a dozen times. Mostly to be with friends. Don't see the "awesomeness" of it. Too many rules.

rafe
01-17-2007, 20:42
I'm serious though. BSP means nothing to me. I've been up Katahdin a dozen times. Mostly to be with friends. Don't see the "awesomeness" of it. Too many rules.

Hmm. That's an unusual reaction, I dare say. Most folks I know who've been there are in awe of the place. I've only climbed Katahdin three times, myself. ;)

ed bell
01-17-2007, 20:47
As I understand and mean it: pogue is roughly synonymous with "boardwalk" .. any place where the trail has been augmented with wood underfoot. This (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/boardwalks2.html) would be a fairly elaborate example.Love that Terrapin Photo logo. You should make that your avitar.:sun

rafe
01-17-2007, 20:59

The west and southwest are awesome, I agree. And the Northweast too, and the CA and OR and WA coasts. Ahh. Byooteeful country we've got here. :sun Katahdin has its own charms.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 21:03
Hmm. That's an unusual reaction, I dare say. Most folks I know who've been there are in awe of the place. I've only climbed Katahdin three times, myself. ;)

Marketing.

rafe
01-17-2007, 21:04
Marketing.

Thoreau. Priggish a$$ though he was. ;)

Fly By Mike
01-17-2007, 21:18
Marketing.

Kidding? If the place was ever really marketed it would be elbow to elbow all the way up the trail. Katahdin isn't any old mountain..Is at least one of the greatest.... sure there are bigger ones out west but there you start hiking at 10000 ft and go to 14000... with Katahdin you start at around 900 and go to 5000 so it's in the same league. And its a way better hike than Washington and not just because of the road. I hike Katahdin at least once every year and will continue to do so until I can't hike it anymore. It's awesome and a most fitting end to the AT. Excuse the passion but I love that mountain.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 21:21
Excuse the passion but I love that mountain.

I respect that. I don't find it all that.

Fly By Mike
01-17-2007, 21:27
I respect that. I don't find it all that.

I respect that too.

weary
01-18-2007, 00:39
Nor will I, though I've done most of it a dozen times, and some sections scores of times, each hike is different.

weary
01-18-2007, 00:48
There's nothing in the southwest that's comparable to Katahdin. But if you want to make the southwest the AT termini, I'd support that. Just figure out a route and how to acquire the land.

Let's see. After leaving Katahdin the trail should loop through all the northern states and maybe pick up the Continental Divide Trail, south to the desert.

Weary

rafe
01-18-2007, 00:56
As I understand it, at times of year the summit of Katahdin is the first point on the continental USA to get the morning light. Other times it's the top of Cadillac Mtn. in Acadia NP. Anyone else heard that? Teej? Weary?

Skyline
01-18-2007, 02:08
Some hikers use a float plane instead of a ground shuttle to get to Jo Mary Rd. They are definitely faster, and sometimes cheaper.

minnesotasmith
01-18-2007, 04:14
There's nothing in the southwest that's comparable to Katahdin. But if you want to make the southwest the AT termini, I'd support that. Just figure out a route and how to acquire the land.

Let's see. After leaving Katahdin the trail should loop through all the northern states and maybe pick up the Continental Divide Trail, south to the desert.

Weary

It's a plenty long trail as it is. Adding thousands of miles to it will make thruhiking only something near-Olympians can aspire to do. This would knock out the thruhiking community, and turn us all into sectioners.

Better to just extend the AT south to just northeast of Birmingham, AL, and north to the Canadian border. Keeping it A) in the Appalachian Mountain range (and related/similiar mountain chains) and B) within the same nation would seem to be obvious appropriate restrictions.

Further, #A implies IMO that the AT is inappropriately sited between the northern end of the Shenandoah and Vermont. Take a close look sometime at the diorama of the AT in the ATC office in Harper's Ferry, and you'll see how it's pulled down into foothills. IMO the AT should swing west of Harper's Ferry (missing it), going through Winchester instead. Further, it should then head towards the Adirondacks, avoiding CT/MA altogether (not to mention the eastern half of PA). The higher average altitude would make for cooler average summer hiking weather, not to mention better natural water availability in NY (the AT is routed far too low/close to the coast in that state IMO).

rafe
01-18-2007, 09:43
IMO the AT should swing west of Harper's Ferry (missing it), going through Winchester instead. Further, it should then head towards the Adirondacks, avoiding CT/MA altogether (not to mention the eastern half of PA). The higher average altitude would make for cooler average summer hiking weather, not to mention better natural water availability in NY (the AT is routed far too low/close to the coast in that state IMO).

You understand, of course, that the AT was sited the way it was so as to be maximally-accessible by folks from the eastern US sprawl? And I presume you understand that the very earliest AT visionaries were in fact New Yorkers?

Mind you, these were New Yorkers with a sense of grace and style, because they fully knew about the really good *****t going on with New England trails -- they just had the crazy idea of hooking up all the NE trails into one big one.

There's a reason the AT crosses the Hudson where it does. If it took your plan, it would still have to cross the Hudson somewhere, only it would be called Lake Champlain and be a lot wider. The DAKs are beautiful, so I read your plan with some amusement and interest. Also: geologically, the DAKs aren't p/o the Apppalachians.

Lone Wolf
01-18-2007, 09:45
But why does it go thru a friggin zoo? Assinine.

rafe
01-18-2007, 09:49

In all seriousness, Wolf. I completely missed the friggin' zoo. I walked up Bear Mtn. on Sept 3, a rainy Sunday. There was nothing going on at the base of the mountain, and nothing on the top. By the time I got to West Mtn. it was sunny again. No friggin zoo. What t h e ? ?

mrc237
01-18-2007, 09:53
So you can see the Bears!

weary
01-18-2007, 11:13
Hmmm. The trail has the Lone Wolf tupes. Jack Tarlin types, MinnesotaSmith types -- even Frolicin Dinasaurs and Weary types. Perhaps, LW, because the trail is a zoo.

weary
01-18-2007, 11:21
It's a plenty long trail as it is. Adding thousands of miles to it will make thruhiking only something near-Olympians can aspire to do. This would knock out the thruhiking community, and turn us all into sectioners.

Better to just extend the AT south to just northeast of Birmingham, AL, and north to the Canadian border. Keeping it A) in the Appalachian Mountain range (and related/similiar mountain chains) and B) within the same nation would seem to be obvious appropriate restrictions.

Further, #A implies IMO that the AT is inappropriately sited between the northern end of the Shenandoah and Vermont. Take a close look sometime at the diorama of the AT in the ATC office in Harper's Ferry, and you'll see how it's pulled down into foothills. IMO the AT should swing west of Harper's Ferry (missing it), going through Winchester instead. Further, it should then head towards the Adirondacks, avoiding CT/MA altogether (not to mention the eastern half of PA). The higher average altitude would make for cooler average summer hiking weather, not to mention better natural water availability in NY (the AT is routed far too low/close to the coast in that state IMO).
All true and very wise, MS. But that doesn't override the importance of getting the terminus off Katahdin and into the deserts of the southwest. Instead of criticizing all real hikers will get behind Lone Wolf's plan!!!

TJ aka Teej
01-18-2007, 13:33
As I understand it, at times of year the summit of Katahdin is the first point on the continental USA to get the morning light. Other times it's the top of Cadillac Mtn. in Acadia NP. Anyone else heard that? Teej? Weary?

I've heard it contested between advocates of both mountains. I think the math says Baxter Peak. I've been lucky enough to have seen several sunrises and sunsets from both peaks, I'd hate to have to pick one over the other.

Jack Tarlin
01-18-2007, 16:32
Actually, the area around (and IN) what is now the Bear Mountain Zoo is one of, if not THE oldest section of the entire Trail. I suspect they keep the Trail going thru there out of a feeling of history/tradition; also, keep in mind that hikers have to get across the Hudson River somehow, and the Bear Mountain Bridge is a pretty effective way of getting them across. Having the Trail there isn't such a bad idea.

Oh, and it's also about the only place on the Trail one is virtually guaranteed to see a bear. :D

rafe
01-18-2007, 17:04
keep in mind that hikers have to get across the Hudson River somehow, and the Bear Mountain Bridge is a pretty effective way of getting them across. Having the Trail there isn't such a bad idea.

There are no easy ways across the Hudson. IIRC, the Bear Mtn. bridge was built somewhat with the AT in mind, and with private funding (from the Harriman family.) Construction was completed about 3 years after MacKaye's original AT proposal. The bridge came under public ownership in 1940. Major William A. Welch was chief engineer of Harriman State Park, was well known to MacKaye, and served as one of the first ATC chairmen.

weary
01-18-2007, 17:13
I've heard it contested between advocates of both mountains. I think the math says Baxter Peak. I've been lucky enough to have seen several sunrises and sunsets from both peaks, I'd hate to have to pick one over the other.
Let's test it, TJ, next summer. You convince your ranger buddies to let you arrive on top with a cell phone at sunrise. I'll get to the top of Cadillac ready to receive your phone call at the first sign of the sun.

Because of clouds, weather and hiking delays we'll probably have to run the test a dozen times. That will make it even more fun. We can swap off on the Katahdin watch.

Weary

rafe
01-18-2007, 17:29
Wikipedia to the rescue:
Cadillac Mountain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Mountain) in Bar Harbor, Mt. Katahdin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Katahdin) in Baxter State Park, and Mars Hill Mountain in Mars Hill each battle to be the first site in the contiguous United States to see the morning's sunlight. [5] (http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/first_sunrise.html#US)Maine's first light depends on the time of year, as the sunrise moves from South to North. From October 7 to March 6, Cadillac Mountain is first. From March 7 to March 24, East Quoddy Head is first in the country. Warmer months, March 25 to September 18, Mars Hill Mountain sees first light. Then, when the sun starts getting lower in the sky, The country's day begins between September 19 to October 6 back at East Quoddy Head.

Hmm. The quoted text doesn't say much about Katahdin. Turns out Katahdin (http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/first_sunrise.html#US) is not in the running. It's one minute behind.

TJ aka Teej
01-18-2007, 18:35
Wikipedia to the rescue

T2: It seems the altitude of the coordinates is not taken into consideration. I'd say being at a point almost a mile above sea level would change the time of sunrise quite a bit.
Weary: July 13th - we'll put an end to this debate!

weary
01-18-2007, 18:59
T2: It seems the altitude of the coordinates is not taken into consideration. I'd say being at a point almost a mile above sea level would change the time of sunrise quite a bit.
Weary: July 13th - we'll put an end to this debate!
HMMM. July 13 is not a good date. It's the start of the ATC biennial conference, and more importantly, it's the date of the reunion marking my wife's 50th anniversary of graduating from a high school in Wisconsin.

I suppose I could tell her to explain to her classmates that I'll be climbing a mountain to do important scientific research on where the sun first hits the United States. Do you suppose that will work?