PDA

View Full Version : dehydrator crazy

krazychefkurt
01-14-2007, 21:14
This past 3 weeks I have gone crazy with my dehydrator. I have dried: Homemade salsa, pasta, pasta sauce, pears, apples, oranges, bananas, zucchini, beans and onions, onions, bean paste, mixed frozen veggies, frozen corn, tomatoes and tried yogurt but wasn't to happy with it. I usually store everything over night in freezer to look for excess h2o, then store for 2 weeks before I try it. I do this just to watch for molding and/or a mistake made during drying. I have tried the salsa and zucc so far it was real good. Next will be some meats, do they have to be ground? Obviously strips make a harder jerky type and ground is like gravel but what works best?

Kevin A. Boyce
01-14-2007, 22:02
Santa brought me a dehydrator for Christmas too! I have just been trying jerky so far, I have been using the suggestion; not sure where I saw it, maybe here on WB, but I have been making turkey jerky with a base of thicker cut of deli turkey. First, it is already cooked, so that helps keep the nasties to a minimum, plus many styles are already flavored to a point. I have them slice it a bit thick, I then cut it into strips, and marinate in a variety of combinations so far.

Results have been good, the one thing I noticed though that if I did start out at 1/4"; which is the thickest slice that is reccomended for my dryer, and it was too thick. If it is too thin, it is almost like tissue paper when dehydrated. I am still enjoying which is the best thickness.

Be very careful if you are going to use raw chicken or turkey to dehydrate, you may want to experiment like I do with deli meat to get the kinks worked out.

Enjoy, and report back as to how you make out!
KevBoy

sarbar
01-14-2007, 22:41
KCK, ground hamburger works great, as do any canned meats you might like (get the lower in fat ones).
I have a pictorial on my website, under the gear page, which shows drying meats.

Grinder
01-15-2007, 17:56
I dehydrated some chicken a week or so back, Boneless skinless breast.

I sliced it real thin and fried it until done and dried until crispy dry.

It's in the holding pattern for a week or so now.

(Waiting for SARBAR's book of recipe's!!<G> to arrive, so I know what to do with it.)

Tom

headchange4u
01-16-2007, 12:03
How did you do the salsa?

Ewker
01-16-2007, 12:36
I dehydrated some chicken a week or so back, Boneless skinless breast.

I sliced it real thin and fried it until done and dried until crispy dry.

It's in the holding pattern for a week or so now.

(Waiting for SARBAR's book of recipe's!!<G> to arrive, so I know what to do with it.)

Tom

you can use her website until the book arrives. there are ideas on the website that aren't in her book and vice versa

www.freezerbagcooking.com

sarbar
01-16-2007, 14:00
How did you do the salsa?
When I dry salsa or homemade pico de gallo, if chunky I run it thru my mini chopper a bit, then I spread it thin on lined trays and dry till dry (no wet or sticky spots). Then when cool, I run it thru my blender to a chunky powder. Yum!

krazychefkurt
01-22-2007, 23:04
I used homade salsa, which I use lots of fresh herbs, citrus, honey and tomatoes. Cut everything small and spread it thin on the parchment paper. I dry low and slow to try to preserve nutrients and live enzymes...110 or so...It takes longer but I think it taste better also. I also dumped all the juice from the salsa on top and it made a powdery type stuff that I mixed in with the salsa and it works great.

guthook
01-24-2007, 17:43
Has anyone tried dehydrating potatoes? The book that came with my dehydrator says slice them thin, steam them, then dry them, but it doesn't seem to be working too well... Other veggies are just fine so far, though I haven't tried reconstituting anything yet.

hammock engineer
01-24-2007, 17:49
I added very small diced potatoes to my dehydrated stew. It worked for me, just make sure they are cut small.

I am about ready to start the dehydrating for my thru. I want to get about 30 meals together. That way when my family sends me a package (map sections, guide book, winter/summer gear) I can get a food drop.

Grinder
01-24-2007, 18:06
I cooked up some more of the dehydrated chicken from a few weeks ago.

This time I rehydrated the chicken for a while (30 minutes or so) before adding hot water. I also flash ground most of it in my coffee grinder (Imagine!! french chicken roast coffee tomorrow)

The chunks were still too chewy.

Working from SARBAR's recommendation to dehydrate canned or pouched chicken, I'm going to pressure cook the next batch and then shred or chop it before drying.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Tom