PDA

View Full Version : Approach Trail or Not-NOBOS

Namaste
01-14-2007, 21:48
Can someone explain or direct me to a thread regarding the difference between starting NOBO with approach trail (?) or other. I thought everyone started at Springer. What's the approach trail?

rafe
01-14-2007, 21:51
The scenic route is to start at the lodge at Amicalola State Park. It's about eight or nine miles from there to Springer Summit. There are closer approaches using forest roads.

ed bell
01-14-2007, 22:03
Here is a good thread from a while back:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1575&highlight=approach+trail
I remember a few other thoughtful posts about it. Use the advanced search and you'll find quite a bit.:sun

bigcranky
01-14-2007, 22:03
Be aware that you are opening a can of worms. You might as well ask someone to change his religion.

That said, when you go to the visitor's center at Amicalola Falls State Park, it's at the bottom of the mountain. The Appalachian Trail starts at the top of the mountain. The Approach Trail connects the bottom to the top. There's a nice arch that you can walk through, and it's a stiff and steep 8 mile climb to the top.

It is also possible to drive up a rough FS road to a parking area about a mile from the Springer summit where the AT actually starts. Realize that the parking area is north of the summit, so you'll have to walk down the AT to Springer, then backtrack to your car. This has become more popular in recent years.

We did the approach trail and actually liked it (though it kicked our butts).

Namaste
01-14-2007, 23:39
Thanks, all, for your responses.

Oh no, I don't want to open any cans of worms here :D. Honestly, I don't know the Springer area or Georgia for that matter. I just wondered what some of the 2007 thrus were talking about when they stated approach trail vs. ? Thanks, ed, for the thread. I'll check it out and so some more searching.

WandererKMK
01-14-2007, 23:46
I have had an ongoing debate (all internal) about doing the approach hike or not. Still not decided to I appreciate the question being asked!

Namaste
01-15-2007, 00:10
I checked out that thread and now I get it.

I see valid points to both sides. My anticipated thru is not til 2010, plenty of time to figure out what I'll be doing. I do know for sure that I'll be starting from Georgia and not Maine. I've hiked more of the AT in Maine including Katahdin than in any other state. I want to start in unfamiliar territory.

-MYST-
01-15-2007, 08:51
One thing I don't see mentioned about the approach trail is that before 1959 the AT used to start at Mt oglethorp and was actually shortened approx.15 miles and the southern terminous moved north to Springer mountain. The old AT used to follow what is now the current approach trail to Springer. So by hiking the approach trail from the ranger station at Amicalola you are actually on the old AT. Also know that the steep climb everyone is talking/bitching about (even Bill Bryson in his 'walk in the woods' book) on this approach trail is only at the begining where you are basically climbing to the top of the falls at Amicalola (700ft) in the first 1/2 mile or so. What makes it seem so bad is that it is right at the start with no warm up. What seemed as a steep first climb at the start was infact pretty tame when visiting it after my thru-hike was completed. The southbounders that start at Katahdin I think are facing a much harder climb to start with.

Hike your own hike and always remember what one person calls easy or tough isn't what you call easy or tough. Everybody has their own perspective. Isn't it wonderful.

myst
the adventure continues....

troglobil
01-15-2007, 09:37
I like the approach trail. I've hiked it numerous times when going out for just an overnighter. Its difficulty is WAY overrated, with the exception of the first stretch on the gravel road.

Namaste
01-15-2007, 10:03
Myst, thanks for the info. I hiked Katahdin from Chimney Pond then the Saddle Trail last summer. That was rough. But I remember the feeling of accomplishing it. I'll keep that in mind when making my decision about Springer.

Dances with Mice
01-15-2007, 10:22
The Approach is a fine trail. The footpath between Black Mtn and Springer from the south on the Approach is much prettier than the AT north of the summit.

The drive to the Springer FS-42 parking lot sucks. The road is gravel, one vehicle wide with two way traffic, no views, lots of blind curves. Nobody ever writes in their journal "Wow! We just had a great drive to the parking area!"

bulldog49
01-15-2007, 10:39
The scenic route is to start at the lodge at Amicalola State Park. It's about eight or nine miles from there to Springer Summit. There are closer approaches using forest roads.

Nothing scenic about the approach trail. Unless logistically it is necessary to start at Amicalola, I would skp it.

highway
01-15-2007, 10:52
I did it once. I'll do it again this year. I rather liked it.

And, I agree, its difficulty is WAY over-rated

Tipper
01-15-2007, 12:23
The Approach Trail is a splendid addition to your hike. Nice warm-up. You'll nearly have a day under your belt before you encounter Mountain Squid, who will share his insights (judgments?!) into whether or not you'll 'make-it' the whole way (based upon his visual evaluation of your pack load, etc.). Also, planning to hike the approach allows family members to see you off comfortably at Amicalola Falls State Park. Go to the Vistor's center, sign-in, buy your support crew an AT cap and car stickers, then bid them adieu as you walk the 1st mile and a half to the Lodge where you'll connect once more and spennd the night. They'll buy you a large and wonderful 'last meal' before seeing you off in the morning (after a large and filling breakfast!). It's a lot nicer then traversing the back roads of Georgia and back-tracking to the Springer Mtn plaque. Involves the family in a meaningful way, especially if you have folks who can't hike with you to Springer and back.

troglobil
01-15-2007, 13:01
What he said, plus the photo op under the arch.

Ewker
01-15-2007, 13:25
The photo op under the arch is cool. The climb to the lodge is ok except for the gravel road. You do have a few views on the gravel road. The breakfast buffet is good at the lodge. You might as well eat good before you start your journey.