PDA

View Full Version : What would be the impact...??

snowhoe
01-15-2007, 10:55
I wonder what would happen if a famous person or a really big actor decided to do a thru hike? What would be the impact of the trail, the small towns and the ATC? I think the media would be all over it. And I wonder if there would be a big surge of people wanting to hike the trail and I wonder if it would help people to donate more to the ATC? What do you think????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????

dadecker
01-15-2007, 11:02
I would be concerned about overuse issues.

K0OPG
01-15-2007, 12:20
People have always stated "the only stupid question is the one not asked".

They were very wrong!

jmho

ASUGrad
01-15-2007, 14:51
Both ends of the trail would be jam packed and the middle of the trail would be empty of thru hikers.

snowhoe
01-16-2007, 11:40
Coopdog dont like the thread dont post anything bucko.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 11:41
There would be no impact.

fonsie
01-16-2007, 11:54
Well If I seen a big hollywood star...I would'nt tell no one....thats what trail names are for, so you can leave who you are in life back at home, and enjoy the trail. There has been a couple of hollywood people out there but you would never kno.

"It's better to try and fail then not to try at all"

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2007, 16:16
There would be little or no impact, except for maybe a week or two at the beginning.

Then the guy would quit and that'd be the end of the matter.

Hammerhead
01-16-2007, 16:23
People have always stated "the only stupid question is the one not asked".

They were very wrong!

jmho

A parrot head AND a jar head! Nice combo. Guess that explains your response.

Bloodroot
01-16-2007, 16:26
There would be little or no impact, except for maybe a week or two at the beginning.

Then the guy would quit and that'd be the end of the matter.

Or what if they did actually (by some small margin) complete or even remotely get close to finishing? There would be a major impact during his/her hike and quite possibly thereafter, right?

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2007, 16:28
It depends, of course, on who we're talking about.

Angelina Jolie would create something of a sensation.

Rosie O'Donnell, less so.

Bloodroot
01-16-2007, 16:32
Well If I seen a big hollywood star...I would'nt tell no one....thats what trail names are for, so you can leave who you are in life back at home, and enjoy the trail.

Until he/she came to a trail town and someone recognizes them. Then here would come the media, waiting at the bottom of each hill for the celeb. to come into town.:-?

Hammerhead
01-16-2007, 16:33
I'd sure hate to try and resupply after following Rosie! Talk about slim pickins! And I'll bet you she could turn the 1/2 gallon challenge into a 5 gallon challenge!

superfly-SY
01-16-2007, 16:37
In 1999 Richard Gere was at one of the waysides in the Shenandoahs with his son and a friend. I didn't talk to him personally but did see him. He actually was speaking to a couple of hikers and asking them about some good places to take his son that wouldn't require overnights in the woods. hmmmm
" walk outside and go left or right...." . was told later that they talked for about 30 minutes and that he was pleasant and very curious about thru-hiking. other than that I never would have known he was there. Alot of celebs travel to NH,VT,ME and you never see or hear about them because they are looking for some privacy. If one were to take on the trail, I would suspect they would be incognito or they were looking for attention and would have a "posse" the whole time. Of course they would do a Bryson and only hike 20% and then write a book and a movie about it and make millions.

Just more trail litter in my opnion

Bloodroot
01-16-2007, 16:38
It depends, of course, on who we're talking about.

Angelina Jolie would create something of a sensation.

Now under circumstances like that, I would probably have to sleep in a shelter, provided she didn't have a tent.:rolleyes:

Bloodroot
01-16-2007, 16:42
I'd sure hate to try and resupply after following Rosie! Talk about slim pickins! And I'll bet you she could turn the 1/2 gallon challenge into a 5 gallon challenge!

LMAO.....That's just mean!

Hammerhead
01-16-2007, 16:54
LMAO.....That's just mean!

I'm Donald Trump when it comes to Rosie!

Johnny Swank
01-16-2007, 18:37
A Walk in the Woods drove a ton of traffic to the trail in the late 90's and early 00's. I don't know how much interest it would drive during the attempt, but I'm willing to bet that more than a few folks would be exposed to the AT. Whether that's good or not, I'll leave up to others to ponder on.

Desert Lobster
01-16-2007, 18:43
A "ton" is a huge stretch!!!!

Jim Adams
01-16-2007, 19:21
IMO, Rosie would never make it to the top of the first climb let alone see the "view". Hammerhead, you da man!!!
alot of actors are just that...actors. there are some that wouldn't think about being out of walking distance of a toilet and others who do live a rural lifestyle and would be fine on the trail. IMO they may want to hike the trail for the relief from the public but know that it just wouldn't happen therefore they don't hike. Isn't that sad?!!!!
geek

stuco
01-16-2007, 23:16
Interest would grow and there would be more on the trail for a year or two the go back to like before.