PDA

View Full Version : How much money

fonsie
01-15-2007, 11:12
How much money would I nead if I have all my gear and then sum. I will be doing alot of mail drops, for food. I figure it might be a hair easyer to dehydrate my own food and lighter. But hook me up with the good comfortable amount I will have.:banana

Jim Adams
01-15-2007, 11:57
mail drops are expensive and not just to send them. if you get into a town after 12 noon on saturday, the post office doesn't open back up until monday--tuesday if monday is a holiday. this means that you either 1. resupply for a few days and camp in the woods while you wait.
2. resupply and forget the maildrop and move on.
3. wait in town until the PO opens.
towns are good food, comradery and hot showers but town=money spent.
I would definitely send some dehydrated supplies but they are very light to carry, so send more in each package and send less often. i would resupply in town most of the time and once you have a good meal, clean clothes, a hot shower and supplies then move on.
i hiked the trail in 1990 for $2000 and in 2002 i hiked it for $1600. trust me, i am the king of zero days but the only reason that i could do it for $1600 is because i learned in 1990 where NOT to spend money. you can probably do it for $2000 if you are careful just remember TOWNS= MONEY!
good luck with your hike.
geek

Footslogger
01-15-2007, 12:33
How much money would I nead if I have all my gear and then sum. I will be doing alot of mail drops, for food. I figure it might be a hair easyer to dehydrate my own food and lighter. But hook me up with the good comfortable amount I will have.:banana
=============================

My maildrops essentially all cost the same in 2003 ...about $10 per box, give or take. I used PRIORITY MAIL and the boxes all had similar weight. Unless you mail them all up front though it gets a little "chancier" the further north you get on a NOBO hike. By that I mean there is longer lead time(s) even with PRIORITY MAIL in getting to the desired location.

The fewer mail drops you can get a way with the better, in my experience. Both from a cost and a hassle standpoint.

'Slogger