PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Campsite

DebW
06-28-2003, 19:59
The Shaker Campsite about 10 miles south of Upper Goose Pond now has a bear cable for hanging food. I don't believe there have been bear problems there, but bears have been sighted there. Anyway, if you camp there you can save youself the trouble of hanging your own bear bag.

cascader
10-30-2005, 19:19
Stopped by Shaker campsite last weekend on my way back from Mt Wilcox N shelter to MA 20, where I'd parked.

Campsite is in great condition--better than last yr, when there was a fair amount of trash there.

The bear cable was jammed when I got there, but it's now working again.

Nice campsite, except for the noise you get from the farms down in the valley--cars, dogs, cows!

whcobbs
01-21-2006, 17:40
This campsite isn't noted in the companion MA-CT maps of 8th edition of the AT Trail Guide. Can someone please supply the GPS coordinates? The various lists of Shelter way points do not include independent campsites, as far as I can tell.
Thanks,
Walt

Stopped by Shaker campsite last weekend on my way back from Mt Wilcox N shelter to MA 20, where I'd parked.

Campsite is in great condition--better than last yr, when there was a fair amount of trash there.

The bear cable was jammed when I got there, but it's now working again.

Nice campsite, except for the noise you get from the farms down in the valley--cars, dogs, cows!

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2006, 17:47
OK spot, but folks should be aware that in recent years, this has been (except for maybe Tom Leonard shelter near Great Barrington) about the most bug-ridden place on the whole Trail. If you're in mid-summer, bring MAXIMUM strength Deet or you'll be using the new bear cables to hang yourself.

whcobbs
01-23-2006, 14:32
Jack-- Thanks for the advice. Actually I was interested for winter use. I was unaware of the existence of this campsite when I planned an intended Great Barrington -- N Adams NoBo section hike, which aborted 16 Jan when I saw I couldn't make shelter to shelter distances on snowshoes in daylight on the stretch from Mt Wilcox to Upper Goose Pond. (Thread on Straight Forward). I wanted GPS coords because I found I had to bushwack in places.
Walt

mark schofield
09-16-2007, 17:08
I stayed there on 9/10. There is a bear box, privy, 2 tent platforms, and enough open space for ground tents also. Stream is about 1 minute north on the trail. It was running even though the dry weather. Not any mosquitoes, also probably because of the dry weather. The place was clean and maintained. My thanks to the trail crews. Mark S.

Undershaft
04-12-2008, 14:39
Nice spot. Well maintained and quite popular the nite I stayed last summer. The skeeters weren't too bad, but I retreated to the hammock early that night. Some neat old rusty farm equipment abandoned among the underbrush next to the cleared campsite. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23813&c=570

wystiria
09-15-2008, 10:38
stayed here with 2 SOBO friday sept. 12th. nice spot! but beware of the mouse family in the register box!

all the streams were running well in this section - this late summer/fall in NE has seen a lot of rain!

Manwich
10-13-2009, 14:43
Woke up here Monday Morning.

Coordinates are approximately 42.25213, -73.22431

A sign on a tree points "Shaker Campsite Privy." It should read "Shaker Campsite And Privy" because we walked right past it thinking it was only the privy and that the campsite would be denoted a little better.

Two platforms are roughly 7.5'x7.5'. Bear box is still in good condition. Looked like some genius was hanging bear-bags directly in between the two platforms.

If you're going Northbound, try not to get water from the streams just after North Mt. Wilcox shelter, the streams were loaded with nitrates. There are some small streams a couple hundred feet northbound on the trail.

http://imgur.com/z0LeO.jpg

whcobbs
10-13-2009, 15:46
Totem,

Thanks so much for the GPS data. It's taken more than 3 years for someone to happen by the site in a GPS sort of mood. In blizzard conditions on snowshoes the information can be pretty handy. And thanks for the image.

Happy Trails,
Walt

A sign on a tree points "Shaker Campsite Privy." It should read "Shaker Campsite And Privy" because we walked right past it thinking it was only the privy and that the campsite would be denoted a little better.

Two platforms are roughly 7.5'x7.5'. Bear box is still in good condition. Looked like some genius was hanging bear-bags directly in between the two platforms.

If you're going Northbound, try not to get water from the streams just after North Mt. Wilcox shelter, the streams were loaded with nitrates. There are some small streams a couple hundred feet northbound on the trail.

Manwich
10-13-2009, 16:07
Not a problem. Also verified the location using, satellite imagry, which clearly shows the Shaker Farmhouse wall (in the background of my pic) on the satellite shots.

http://imgur.com/4j9Jy.png

http://imgur.com/xSkRp.png

http://imgur.com/OAqF1.png

The privy is the white dot touching the top of the red ring.

srestrepo
03-05-2010, 18:52
Hey how much of a hike is this from teh road?

srestrepo
03-05-2010, 18:58
it just looks like on the map that there is a road, jerusalem road which is right near this shaker campsite. just curious how much of a hike it is from the road and if there's parking there... i just need a quick night away in front of a fire...

k-n
03-06-2010, 10:33
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/7/5/5/img_0100_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23028&catid=member&imageuser=8755)

Tinker
03-06-2010, 11:03
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/7/5/5/img_0100_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23028&catid=member&imageuser=8755)

How does this fit into the topic discussion?
Looks like a cute little white-footed-I-carry-Lyme-disease-ticks mouse (common shelter mouse).

Prettywoman0172
09-22-2010, 17:43
Stayed here Saturday Sept 17 and it was nice and quiet. Well kept.

A

rainmaker
09-22-2010, 22:39
Stayed here Saturday Sept 17 and it was nice and quiet. Well kept.

A

Glad to hear it is still there. The week before you were there my wife and I stopped for a brief lunch and were entertained by about twenty freshmen college students trying to figure out how to rig a tarp for the lot of them. They were on some sort of Ivy League freshmen orientation. While the coed tarp was being assembled, one fellow was gathering firewood and breaking the larger branches against the old wall, loosening some of the stones. As we proceeded north, we ran into two additional groups of ten also on the way to Shaker.

Cosmo
09-23-2010, 17:54
Yes, the "College Season" laid waste to a number of overnight sites in Mass this season. At Wilbur Clearing a group from Yale washed their dishes in the water source (which is pretty feeble since we are down about 7" in rain this year). They used diswashing liquid 'tho, so the water wasn't greasy.

Regretfully, there is little we can do to punish and/or educate these groups, short of having caretakers at every site the last week in August through Labor Day. And in truth, most of the groups are pretty well behaved (as well as a dozen over-privileged post adolescents can be on their first big hike)--and lest you think I'm overgeneralizing, I teach at one of those schools.

The Yale organizers did get a terse letter, but hey, it's not like we can guard all the trailheads and send them back to New Haven.

Cosmo

Glad to hear it is still there. The week before you were there my wife and I stopped for a brief lunch and were entertained by about twenty freshmen college students trying to figure out how to rig a tarp for the lot of them. They were on some sort of Ivy League freshmen orientation. While the coed tarp was being assembled, one fellow was gathering firewood and breaking the larger branches against the old wall, loosening some of the stones. As we proceeded north, we ran into two additional groups of ten also on the way to Shaker.

Bags4266
09-23-2010, 19:14

Manwich, enlighten me, I don't feel like researching nitrates, is it bad or good and how do you know?

rainmaker
09-23-2010, 22:06
Yes, the "College Season" laid waste to a number of overnight sites in Mass this season. At Wilbur Clearing a group from Yale washed their dishes in the water source (which is pretty feeble since we are down about 7" in rain this year). They used diswashing liquid 'tho, so the water wasn't greasy.

Regretfully, there is little we can do to punish and/or educate these groups, short of having caretakers at every site the last week in August through Labor Day. And in truth, most of the groups are pretty well behaved (as well as a dozen over-privileged post adolescents can be on their first big hike)--and lest you think I'm overgeneralizing, I teach at one of those schools.

The Yale organizers did get a terse letter, but hey, it's not like we can guard all the trailheads and send them back to New Haven.

Cosmo
Cosmo,
Most of the groups were pretty well behaved and more or less polite though ignorant of trail manners. The crowd from Amherst and Princeton though were definitely rude and loud. BTW, I loved your town and will be back there next year to finish my walkabout to Baxter. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed Massachusetts. Great state and friendly people.

Wanderer0131
07-15-2011, 19:44
While hiking the Mass AT this week, just north of the Shaker campsite I noticed a brand new bear sign tree. It's a ~4" red pine right next to the trail. About 5' up the trunk the bark is all chewed off and teeth marks are showing as well as bits of fur. A bear is definitely telling all who will notice that he/she is in the area. So I strongly suggest you keep an eye on your pack (do not leave it unattended) and use the bear box if staying overnight at Shaker. Also, if you see a cub, check to see where mama is and don't get between the 2!12309

jbwood5
07-30-2012, 16:23
Stayed here on 7/2/2012 and used 1 of the 2 tent platforms. There ia a good spot behind the wall and a very few other, almost, level spots. There is a bear box which should be used. I saw a mama and cub near the water source at 5:30 PM. The cub ran right up the trail toward me. Mama grunted and cub turned around and they both took off. The cub was so cute; just "bounding" along. Water was flowing good on this early July day.

GoldenBear
08-05-2012, 21:10
Water is still flowing near this site; and the river just north of it is unlikely to ever be dry. Note that, on the whole, the area is getting pretty low on water; get it when you can.

spinkid
10-20-2014, 13:59
I know this is an oldie, but we stayed here 10/17/14 and had an interesting evening by the fire. We hear a bunch of loud people somewhere down by the Farms on Main St (we think). Not soon after hear gunshots and the sound of them hitting the trees about 20-30 feet above our head. Leaves started falling and we take cover behind the tent pads. After realizing they can't have line of sight of us we go back to the fire and here comes round 2 and 3 of the same type of thing. After that they were still shooting just apparently not in our direction for about minutes. No cell coverage to call either. Gotta love farm country.

spinkid
10-20-2014, 14:01
About 30 minutes, sorry.

Cosmo
10-21-2014, 13:12
Hi spinkid,
Thanks for the report. We've communicated with local law enforcement about this incident, please PM me if you have more to add.

Cosmo

I know this is an oldie, but we stayed here 10/17/14 and had an interesting evening by the fire. We hear a bunch of loud people somewhere down by the Farms on Main St (we think). Not soon after hear gunshots and the sound of them hitting the trees about 20-30 feet above our head. Leaves started falling and we take cover behind the tent pads. After realizing they can't have line of sight of us we go back to the fire and here comes round 2 and 3 of the same type of thing. After that they were still shooting just apparently not in our direction for about minutes. No cell coverage to call either. Gotta love farm country.

lemon b
10-21-2014, 13:40
Ya rte 23 to 20 is sketchy cell coverage. Most likely local kids. Maybe coon hunters hear any dogs?

spinkid
10-22-2014, 11:02
No dogs, just sounded like a bunch of kids to be honest. Afterwards though the cows at the near by farm were making one heck of a racket.

Cosmo, Nothing more to add. Thanks.

Cosmo
06-06-2015, 20:50
Yesterday (6/5/15), a hiker stopping at Goose Pond Cabin reported that the previous evening at Shaker Campsite, that she had 3 visits from a young bear. It was not easily scared away.

Use the bear box, and don't leave your stuff unattended (like when you go down the trail for a few minutes to get some water).

Cosmo

Stayed here on 7/2/2012 and used 1 of the 2 tent platforms. There ia a good spot behind the wall and a very few other, almost, level spots. There is a bear box which should be used. I saw a mama and cub near the water source at 5:30 PM. The cub ran right up the trail toward me. Mama grunted and cub turned around and they both took off. The cub was so cute; just "bounding" along. Water was flowing good on this early July day.

Wanderer0131
06-26-2018, 06:36
Bear alert. An aggressive sow with cubs was reported at this site 2 days ago. Please avoid using this site for now. If you do use this site be VERY careful with your food and definitely use the bear box. Do NOT put food in the privy or down the privy hole. There has been a bear in this area for many years and we hope to continue to coexist peacefully with this animal; so please help out by practicing Leave-No-Trace scrupulously. Lastly, please contact me at: [email protected] to report any further encounters. Thanks, Volunteer Jim

Cosmo
07-02-2018, 21:19
We have had several confirmed sightings of a bear w/3 cubs at this campsite in the past week (end of June/early July). The bear has been a regular visitor over the years, but seems to be particularly active at present (nursing 3 cubs probably has some pretty high caloric demands). Hikers report not being able to scare this bear away, even in multiple numbers. While we have not yet officially closed the site, we probably will soon, once we consult with ATC/NPS. Hikers should plan to stay at a different site (Wilcox North is 4.1 south, Upper Goose Pond Cabin is 4.7 north). Stealth camping is not permitted in Mass.

Cosmo

greatexpectations
07-03-2018, 08:36
i ran into these bears last night parked a few feet off trail at about 7:15pm. they forced a hiker already at the site to keep going and an approaching pair to double back and skip ahead via jerusalem rd.

unless you road walk i think the UGP cabin is closer to 10 miles from shaker.

BillyGr
07-03-2018, 12:22
i ran into these bears last night parked a few feet off trail at about 7:15pm. they forced a hiker already at the site to keep going and an approaching pair to double back and skip ahead via jerusalem rd.

unless you road walk i think the UGP cabin is closer to 10 miles from shaker.

9.9 Miles between, unless the trail in the area has substantially changed in the last 10 years or so.

Cosmo
07-03-2018, 20:15
9.9 Miles between, unless the trail in the area has substantially changed in the last 10 years or so.

Yup, I messed up the distance on my original post. 9.1 to the side trail.

Cosmo

Cosmo
07-18-2018, 14:40
This is not the momma bear in question (but possibly an offspring). Video taken on July 10. No other reports have come in (left a phone number in Guthook).

He certainly seems to know his way around the bear box, though. Note how easily he tips it over (that's why it's chained to the tree).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XrMVT9jcv8XRA1eJA

Or direct via this link (https://photos.app.goo.gl/XrMVT9jcv8XRA1eJA)

Hikers should be extremely careful not to leave any food or smellables unattended at this campsite.

Cosmo

We have had several confirmed sightings of a bear w/3 cubs at this campsite in the past week (end of June/early July). The bear has been a regular visitor over the years, but seems to be particularly active at present (nursing 3 cubs probably has some pretty high caloric demands). Hikers report not being able to scare this bear away, even in multiple numbers. While we have not yet officially closed the site, we probably will soon, once we consult with ATC/NPS. Hikers should plan to stay at a different site (Wilcox North is 4.1 south, Upper Goose Pond Cabin is 4.7 north). Stealth camping is not permitted in Mass.

Cosmo

greatexpectations
07-19-2018, 09:07
thanks for sharing the vid cosmo! i've been avoiding this section of trail for the last two weeks now but have heard of a few other (off trail) bear incidents in the area. it is nice to see the signs warning about the bears further up the trail.

greatexpectations
08-23-2018, 14:34
i've run past the shaker site near sunset a few times in the last two weeks and haven't spotted the bears again. a few other sightings on/near trail though, and reports from all over town of frequent bear activity.

in an unrelated note, the heavy rain has made a mess of some spots of the trail in the vicinity.

SWODaddy
08-23-2018, 15:06
Do NOT put food in the privy or down the privy hole.

:eek:

I'm going to guess this is one of those things that only has to be mentioned because someone has done it.

Cosmo
08-24-2018, 11:22
i've run past the shaker site near sunset a few times in the last two weeks and haven't spotted the bears again. a few other sightings on/near trail though, and reports from all over town of frequent bear activity.

in an unrelated note, the heavy rain has made a mess of some spots of the trail in the vicinity.

It appears that the bear has moved on (for now), but there are at least two adults living in the area. We took down the signs last week. As always at this site, hikers should use extra caution with their food and smellables.

We're about 1" ahead of normal rainfall for August, so the treadway is very spring-like. Lots of mud and running water, slowly draining.

Cosmo

robbym70
04-11-2019, 09:44
Greetings all. I'm planning a night at Shaker April 28th. Wondering if anyone has an update on bear activity. It's early yet but not too early enough for bears to be nosing around I suspect. TIA.

Cosmo
04-11-2019, 20:42
No sign of this particular bear(s) yet, but they are starting to be reported out and about in the County.

Use the bear box, all the time. Cook early in the evening, away from your tent. Put all the smellables in the box. Let us know if you get any visits...

Cosmo

greatexpectations
04-11-2019, 23:04
No sign of this particular bear(s) yet, but they are starting to be reported out and about in the County.

to add to what cosmo said: i haven't seen any on trail yet in the area, but we've had a bear sighting about 3/4 of a mile from the campsite. they are awake and prowling!

Cosmo
04-12-2019, 19:11
Here's one bear that's not quite so hungry:
[URL="https://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/bear-suspected-in-attack-that-killed-horse-in-hinsdale,569883?"]https://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/bear-suspected-in-attack-that-killed-horse-in-hinsdal,569883?

robbym70
04-15-2019, 11:58
thanks for the input. good reminders on SOP at camp.

greatexpectations
04-21-2019, 21:03
saw a mama bear and a very tiny single cub on trail today at about noon, just a minute or so NOBO from the shaker campsite.

jzaccone
07-05-2019, 14:09
Great photo! Can I have permission to it in my app "Walk The Distance" with attribution? The app lets users walk the AT virtually, and your photo would pop up when they reach the campsite.

Wanderer0131
10-31-2019, 10:08
Beware, bears are still active in the area. The trailcam monitoring the bear box showed a sow with 2 cubs visiting on Oct 9th and a large bear visiting on Oct 21st. Several hikers have left the bear box unlatched or even open with food in the box! Please don't be that hiker! Protect the resident bears and fellow hikers by keeping the box closed and latched at all times! The trailcam monitoring the bear box has been removed for the season but hikers should expect bears to be active in the area through Dec and occasionally active even over the winter.

Thanks, for the Mass AT Management Committee, Jim

Wanderer0131
04-22-2020, 20:22
Bears are once again active in the Shaker Campsite area. A trailcam captured multiple videos of a sow with 2 year old cubs in the last week just downhill from the campsite near the swamp edge. Our Fish & Wildlife experts indicate these year old cubs will shortly be on their own and their inexperience often gets them in trouble. So please be bear alert and do not leave food unattended even briefly and keep the bear box closed and latched. Also, please do not mess with the trailcam pointed at the bear box. It's there to monitor bear activity.

Thanks, for the Mass AT Management Committee, Jim

HawkLT
03-29-2021, 05:47
Any update on the bear situation at Shaker in the past year? Hoping to stop there on an upcoming section hike. Thanks.

Cosmo
03-29-2021, 20:28
The bears live in the area, but because campers have been diligent in keeping their stuff in the box or a bear canisters at all times, we have not had an incident where bears have gotten food in several seasons. They stroll through from time to time, but don’t consider the site a food source at this point.

Keep your food and smellables secured except when you are using them, better for you, better for the bears.

Also of note, in Mass, campsites on state lands are still closed due to Covid—no commitment yet from the state when they will consider opening them. Mass AT regulations also prohibit camping anywhere on the AT except at designated overnight sites (regardless of Covid). The two overnight sites on Federal land (Shaker and Upper Goose Pond Cabin) are open to tenting—but the facilities (including the Cabin) are closed. That said, we’ve seen no rangers or other enforcement personnel checking on campsites...

Cosmo