PDA

View Full Version : Ice ...Ice ...BABY !!

Footslogger
01-15-2007, 13:15
Can you say C O L D !!

MINUS 24 degrees this morning !!

Lots of squeeky snow. Definitely not a good idea to touch your tongue to the bar on the ski lift (a la Dumb-n-Dumber)

'Slogger

Namaste
01-15-2007, 13:48
I'm actually jealous. The weather here in NJ has been downright gloomy-rainy and on the warmish side. Not real winter weather AT ALL! Send a blast of winter our way!

Footslogger
01-15-2007, 13:54
I'm actually jealous. The weather here in NJ has been downright gloomy-rainy and on the warmish side. Not real winter weather AT ALL! Send a blast of winter our way!

============================

Be careful what you ask for ...

'Slogger

Deerleg
01-15-2007, 14:07
My boss is making me drive to Buffalo from Cleveland tomorrow thru the heart of the snow belt for a meeting...what was he thinking!? :confused:
Buffalo forecast:
Snow during the morning, with continued snow showers during the afternoon. High 24F. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 80%.

maxNcathy
01-15-2007, 14:34
Can you say C O L D !!

Lots of squeeky snow. Definitely not a good idea to touch your tongue to the bar on the ski lift (a la Dumb-n-Dumber)

'Slogger

Now that is real winter! Great day for a good book by the fireplace.

Sandalwood

mambo_tango
01-15-2007, 14:35
Be careful on the snowy roads. A woman from my church spun out this morning and got smacked by a pick-up truck (driver's side) and she died an hour later. She had 3 children under the age of 7. So drive slow!

Footslogger
01-15-2007, 14:58
Now that is real winter! Great day for a good book by the fireplace.

Sandalwood

===============================

I agree ...but dangit, I had to go to work !!

'Slogger

RadioFreq
01-15-2007, 15:30

Here it is the middle of January and the Twin Cities finally went from brown to white. Got what looks to be about 4-5 inches last night. You're more than welcome to it.

Jim Adams
01-15-2007, 16:17
can't wait for snow!!!!!! 61* @ 6am this morning in Pittsburgh.
geek

Nameless
01-15-2007, 18:13
Just recovered from 45 below. Got to love Alaska... At least we are a lot warmer than last year, we spent more than three weeks at least -30, often -50, it was brutal. It was also the second coldest January on record, which can only happen so often. The day I moved to fairbanks, almost 2 years ago exactally, was -50. You go through a lot of wood at tempuratures like that. I live in a small cabin with three people and four cats that has no running water and is heated with wood. The most amazing place I have ever lived.

Pink

FanaticFringer
01-15-2007, 18:50
I'd love to test out my cold weather hammock gear in that weather.......
Not.

drdewrag
01-15-2007, 20:15
70 degrees here in Rome, Ga. today. Three weeks ago, camping on Max Patch on top of 6 inches of snow. I don't want anythibg to do with the ice OR the minus 24 degrees. Yeeesh!

Blissful
01-15-2007, 20:43
Yeah we had 68 degrees today in VA. Nice day to hit a trail in SNP, which we did. Suppose to get back to normal tomorrow night.

1Pint
01-16-2007, 01:24
We're gonna get some snow tonight just south of Cleveland. I can feel it out there.

Hey 'SlipSlog - met several of your 2003 classmates at the Ruck. When're you & Bad Ass Turtle gonna host us all out there for a Ruck?;)

Heater
01-16-2007, 01:45
30 degrees right now with freezing rain and sleet in Austin. Supposed to get colder and "wetter". Hold tight, I'm sure it's coming your way soon. :D

freefall
01-16-2007, 02:14
Can you say C O L D !!

'Slogger
Here in Denver it was colder over the weekend than it was up above 10,000 feet! We didn't get to -24* but we did get down to -14*.

hammock engineer
01-16-2007, 02:24
Man all of this cold must be missing Cincinnati. I only saw a dusting of snow all winter. And that was only because I went for a day hike that year. It didn't actually snow close to my house. There was only 1 night in single digits.

This is a really warm winter. Hard to get any cold weather testing done this winter. Yet another reason why I need to move out west.

Jaybird
01-16-2007, 07:19
Hey its WINTER!

shoooooot some of that COLD WX our way from WYOMING!:D

we've been having 60 degree temps...30s on the way...NO SNOW! (in Middle TN)

Footslogger
01-16-2007, 09:57
We're gonna get some snow tonight just south of Cleveland. I can feel it out there.

Hey 'SlipSlog - met several of your 2003 classmates at the Ruck. When're you & Bad Ass Turtle gonna host us all out there for a Ruck?;)

======================================

Wish we could have been there. Miss my 2003 trail family !!

As for having you all out here ...I'm glad you asked that question.

You are invited and it's called "The Rockies Ruck" - - February 23 - 25

Here's a link to some information:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/message/111

Hope to see y'all there !!

'Slogger

Hammerhead
01-16-2007, 10:58
============================

Be careful what you ask for ...

'Slogger

Easy 'Slogger! Don't forget that I have an earth-based dwelling in NJ! :D

Footslogger
01-16-2007, 11:43
As an update to yesterday's bone chilling announcement I am pleased to annound that this morning we appear to be experienceing a warming trend.

Picture below was shot early in the morning and the outside temperature reading is NOT corrected for windchill ...

Minus 13.2 degrees outside and 58.6 degrees inside. Not Bad !!

'Slogger

Hammerhead
01-16-2007, 13:18
As an update to yesterday's bone chilling announcement I am pleased to annound that this morning we appear to be experienceing a warming trend.

Picture below was shot early in the morning and the outside temperature reading is NOT corrected for windchill ...

Minus 13.2 degrees outside and 58.6 degrees inside. Not Bad !!

'Slogger

58.6 degrees INSIDE?? The rooms in my house are usually around 68 degrees(until my wife walks in then the temp drops drastically!) :D

Footslogger
01-16-2007, 13:45
58.6 degrees INSIDE?? The rooms in my house are usually around 68 degrees(until my wife walks in then the temp drops drastically!) :D

=====================================

Programmable thermostat. We drop temp to 58 inside at night ...otherwise my heating bills would be off the wall !! Besides, that's what blanket are for !!

About 5:30 AM the heater kicks in and it warms up to 68 inside until about 8, when we both leave the house.

'Slogger

Hammerhead
01-16-2007, 14:05
=====================================

Programmable thermostat. We drop temp to 58 inside at night ...otherwise my heating bills would be off the wall !! Besides, that's what blanket are for !!

About 5:30 AM the heater kicks in and it warms up to 68 inside until about 8, when we both leave the house.

'Slogger

I'm an idot. I have the same setup at my house and do the same thing! :datz

1Pint
01-17-2007, 12:28

You are invited and it's called "The Rockies Ruck" - - February 23 - 25

Here's a link to some information:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/message/111

Hope to see y'all there !!

'Slogger

Temptation, temptation. I really do want to get out and see that part of the country and meet you guys, but I think I'll have to pass this year. My weekends are getting scheduled faster than I can say "The Rockies Ruck." Best of luck for good weather and good people. I hope y'all have a fraction of the fun we had at SoRuck. And be sure to drink a Romulan ale for me (but you're not required to act like an adult unless The Empress Bad Ass requires it.) :D

Footslogger
01-17-2007, 12:30
Temptation, temptation. I really do want to get out and see that part of the country and meet you guys, but I think I'll have to pass this year. My weekends are getting scheduled faster than I can say "The Rockies Ruck." Best of luck for good weather and good people. I hope y'all have a fraction of the fun we had at SoRuck. And be sure to drink a Romulan ale for me (but you're not required to act like an adult unless The Empress Bad Ass requires it.) :D

==================================

Thanks ...and just for the record, Empress BadAss typically insists - NO DEMANDS - non adult behavior at such events !!

'Slogger

1Pint
01-17-2007, 12:31
==================================

Thanks ...and just for the record, Empress BadAss typically insists - NO DEMANDS - non adult behavior at such events !!

'Slogger

You're a very lucky man.

Footslogger
01-17-2007, 12:37
You're a very lucky man.

=============================

...and I thank my lucky stars (not the cereal) for it every day !!

'Slogger

Moose2001
01-17-2007, 12:55
ohhh.....saw the weather report for Mt Washington last night! -26 and 86 m.p.h. winds!! Looks like winter has finally made it to Vermont! Thank god. I was tired of skiing on brown instead of white. 75 days and I'm headed to Springer...after a short stop in Paradise!

'Slogger....tell Empress Bad Ass I said hi! Talked to one of our mutal friends, Underdog, last week. He's moved to Burlington!! Small hiking world!

Footslogger
01-17-2007, 13:06
ohhh.....saw the weather report for Mt Washington last night! -26 and 86 m.p.h. winds!! Looks like winter has finally made it to Vermont! Thank god. I was tired of skiing on brown instead of white. 75 days and I'm headed to Springer...after a short stop in Paradise!

'Slogger....tell Empress Bad Ass I said hi! Talked to one of our mutal friends, Underdog, last week. He's moved to Burlington!! Small hiking world!

========================================

Well ...knock off about 40mph in wind and you're talking about Laramie !!

By the way, "sking on brown" really isn't sking !!

Wow ...amazing about Underdog. Guess his stint with CC and trail filming is over ?? It is a very small world !! BadAss checks WB pretty regularly and might see the post herself, but I'll be sure to pass along your regards.

'Slogger

smokymtnsteve
01-17-2007, 22:48
Can you say C O L D !!

'Slogger

U call -24 cold???

-24 ain't cold..;)

I run to the outhouse nekkid at -24 :rolleyes:

Footslogger
01-18-2007, 00:30
U call -24 cold???

-24 ain't cold..;)

=================================

Empty claim ...without video

'Slogger

smokymtnsteve
01-19-2007, 01:11
=================================

Empty claim ...without video

'Slogger

i guess i did strech the truth slighty,,,actually I slid on my buuny boots and wear a fleece cap;)

i'll work on the video and post it soon:eek:

woodsy
01-19-2007, 08:36
U call -24 cold???

-24 ain't cold..;)

Hope y'all up there are keeping yer toilet seat warmed behind the woodstove,
Hard to make anything move sittin on a block-o-ice.:eek:
I've met some folks who never heard of this lil trick, once you've tried it, you won't go back to the o-house empty handed.:sun

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 10:00
i guess i did strech the truth slighty,,,actually I slid on my buuny boots and wear a fleece cap;)

i'll work on the video and post it soon:eek:

All the MORE reason to air the video !!

Anxiously awaiting the clip ...

'Slogger

Two Speed
01-19-2007, 10:12

All the MORE reason to air the video !!

Anxiously awaiting the clip ...

'SloggerSMS, if it was me I wouldn't take that dare until 'SambaSlogger posts a video of himself doing the can-can in The Empress Bad Turtle's red dress. Now THAT'S a sight that'll make you wish you'd stayed back on the farm!

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 10:16
Darnit ...who let Two Speed onto this thread. There goes the neighborhood !!

'SambaSlogger

Two Speed
01-19-2007, 10:19
Face it, you were trying to get SMS to violate the "Sgt Schultz" oath. Even worse, you were trying to get him to rat himself out. SOMEONE's got to look out for our wizened and frozen friend!

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 10:26
Face it, you were trying to get SMS to violate the "Sgt Schultz" oath. Even worse, you were trying to get him to rat himself out. SOMEONE's got to look out for our wizened and frozen friend!

====================================

Not true ...besides you are thread jumping.

Don't you know about the DTDD rule ? (different thread different day)

'Slogger

Two Speed
01-19-2007, 10:31
====================================

Not true ...besides you are thread jumping.Dang, I'm getting some exercise already! Yaaaaaay! An extra round of fat pills* for everyone!
Don't you know about the DTDD rule ? (different thread different day)

'SloggerNever bothered either of us before, so what's the big deal now? Besides, you got anything else better to do today?

*fat pill = doughnut, aka "police biscuit"

L Tee
01-19-2007, 10:45
pssh..its 60 degrees here in Orlando, Burrr...time to break out the sweaters :)

Hammerhead
01-19-2007, 10:47
Ooooh, thread jumping! Sounds similar to thread swerve to me! Where we goin??

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 10:50
[quote=Two Speed;305905]Never bothered either of us before, so what's the big deal now? Besides, you got anything else better to do today?

Of course I don't. You know better than that !! I was just giving you a little *****t.

Besides, I started this thread so I thought it was OK if I took it off course every now and then.

However, for those of you interested in commenting on your current weather/temperature ...we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic

'ShiveringSlogger

woodsy
01-19-2007, 11:14
Back on topic

After my morning walk through fresh powdah to the O-house with my heated toilet seat, it's turning out to be a rather fine winter day here in The Pine Tree State. Did I hear skiing?

Two Speed
01-19-2007, 19:00
. . . I was just giving you a little *****t. . . Ah man, I already got a Schnauzer mix pup, what am I gonna do with another mutt?

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 19:02
Ah man, I already got a Schnauzer mix pup, what am I gonna do with another mutt?

========================================

Well ...in the now famous words of Survivor's Jeff Probst ...

"I got nothing for ya"

'Slogger

Two Speed
01-19-2007, 19:08
'Slogger, ya lost me with that one. No TV, man.

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 19:22
'Slogger, ya lost me with that one. No TV, man.

Sorry Dude ...didn't know you were so out of touch. Then again, some of your posts should have clued me in !!

'Slogger

Two Speed
01-19-2007, 19:31
Well, you could turn the one-eyed monster off and go to the Clue Store and make a purchase.

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 19:48
Well, you could turn the one-eyed monster off and go to the Clue Store and make a purchase.

==========================

I suppose I could ...but nah, I'm hooked !!

'Slogger

smokymtnsteve
01-19-2007, 21:23
Hope y'all up there are keeping yer toilet seat warmed behind the woodstove,
Hard to make anything move sittin on a block-o-ice.:eek:
I've met some folks who never heard of this lil trick, once you've tried it, you won't go back to the o-house empty handed.:sun

actually what U do is make your outhouse seat out of blue insulating foam..it doesn't git cold, makes a rite comfortable sitting place

Nameless
01-19-2007, 21:50
Its amazing how the insulating foam (mines pink!) doesn't feel cold.

But I at least put a robe and boots on when it hits -30 ;) And then usally curl up next to the roaring wood stove, if your gonna have a fire in the house you might as well enjoy it.

Pink

woodsy
01-19-2007, 22:46
actually what U do is make your outhouse seat out of blue insulating foam..it doesn't git cold, makes a rite comfortable sitting place

Good one! I knew someone would have a better idea! And it figures it would be in Alaska;)

The Scribe
01-19-2007, 22:54
We finally had two nights below zero here in southern Maine this week. First time all season. -10 yesterday morning. Have only had two "events" of 2 inches each all winter. Far north and east of Katahdin are getting buried they say. We are starting to act like people from away when it snows around here. We panic, shut down stuff, plow the roads from 2 hours before it starts snowing to 2 hours after it stops. Plow went by my house in the dark this morning and all it was doing was making sparks.

When someone makes a big deal about snow or cold I say, "it's Maine, it's winter."

smokymtnsteve
01-19-2007, 23:24
Good one! I knew someone would have a better idea! And it figures it would be in Alaska;)

dat's cause Alaska has the least number of folks than any other state

but the most outhouses of any state :eek:

smokymtnsteve
01-19-2007, 23:27
Its amazing how the insulating foam (mines pink!) doesn't feel cold.

But I at least put a robe and boots on when it hits -30 ;) And then usally curl up next to the roaring wood stove, if your gonna have a fire in the house you might as well enjoy it.

Pink

well ima boy and ur a girl:rolleyes:

anyway the real reason I have blue foam is because that was what was in the dumpster where I obtained all the materials to build my rite fine outhouse;)

Nameless
01-20-2007, 02:48
I have pink because its what the landlord put in. Probably found it the same way knowing him. Got a double seater too though, but one seat belongs to the spiders. Not as nice as the double on top of the bigalows in Maine, if I remember right that outhouse had a cribbage set.

Pink

Two Speed
01-20-2007, 07:39
Circling the original theme of this thread, albeit at a great radius, it looks like some buddies and I will be doing a short overnighter on the AT, from Unicoi Gap to Tesnatee Gap next Saturday & Sunday. Lows in Hiawassee are forecast to be in the upper 20's right now, so it could get a little frosty on the ridges.

Dang, the cognac's gonna taste most excellent good! :sun

Footslogger
01-20-2007, 11:53
Circling the original theme of this thread, albeit at a great radius, it looks like some buddies and I will be doing a short overnighter on the AT, from Unicoi Gap to Tesnatee Gap next Saturday & Sunday. Lows in Hiawassee are forecast to be in the upper 20's right now, so it could get a little frosty on the ridges.

Dang, the cognac's gonna taste most excellent good! :sun

God is gonna get you for carving out such a wide radius ...

Besides, "upper 20's" do not qualify as cold !!

'Slogger

Two Speed
01-20-2007, 17:05
. . . Besides, "upper 20's" do not qualify as cold !!
'SloggerYou know darn good and well that upper 20's is bone chilling, cattle killing, liquor freezing cold to a Cracker. :p

TIDE-HSV
01-20-2007, 18:24
was -47F at Steamboat Spgs. I have a frostbitten right middle finger and right big toe to show for trying to ski on a day when the high was -15F...