PDA

View Full Version : Talcum powder,,, where to buy?

Big Dawg
01-15-2007, 15:18
OK, I've just seam sealed my tent w/ SilNet. I've read in the past to pat some talcum powder on the places where the sealer is to keep it from sticking to the tent body,,,,, the problem is, I can't find "talcum powder". Is this just a term used to describe products/powders that use "talc". If so, all of the ones I find (ex. baby powder, body fresh powder, foot powder like gold bond) have other ingredients in it. The one I bought which has the least amount of added ingredients, other than talc, is a generic foot powder. But it still has a methyl ingredient, which has a menthol smell. Will this foot powder work, or is there another powder better to use?

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2007, 15:25
Johnson's baby powder, or baby powder from the dollar store, or you could use cornstarch. Probably you don't need anything. Is it sticking together?

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2007, 15:25
Wait, don't use cornstarch, it might attract bugs or animals.

Big Dawg
01-15-2007, 15:32
Johnson's baby powder, or baby powder from the dollar store, or you could use cornstarch. Probably you don't need anything. Is it sticking together?

Of the products using "talc", I strayed away from baby powders b/c of the "baby fresh" scent. I couldn't find any that was unscented, so I went w/ the foot powder.

rafe
01-15-2007, 15:39
Baby powder or Gold Bond.

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2007, 16:19
They're all over 90% talc, with fragrances and sometimes aspirin in them.

The Weasel
01-15-2007, 17:55
Many body powders are no longer made with talc or talcum, since it is considered by many to be carcinogenic, similar to asbestos, although this is disputed.

In terms of its useful properties - drying and also for coating sticky substances (like silicone) - you can get the same benefit from cornstarch, "baby powder" (the same thing) or even bleached flour.

The Weasel

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2007, 17:58
Flour + water = paste. I wouldn't use flour.

The Weasel
01-15-2007, 18:02

Wait, don't use cornstarch, it might attract bugs or animals.

Baby powder is made of cornstarch as are many/most body powders, other than the scents.

If the powder - either cornstarch or flour - is put on while the silicone is sticky, the remaining powder after it all dries should not cause paste or draw animals.

The Weasel

rafe
01-15-2007, 18:22
Baby powder is made of cornstarch as are many/most body powders, other than the scents.

[/URL]Plain old [URL="http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/products/powder/baby-powder"]Johnsons Baby powder (http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/products/powder/baby-powder) is talc plus fragrance. The other four other Johnsons variants are based on corn starch.

For Gold Bond powder, here's the best ingredients list I could find online: Menthol 0.8% (Anti-Itch), Zinc Oxide 0.5% (Skin Protectant), Talc, Acacia, Eucalyptol, Methyl Salicylate, Salicylic Acid, Thymol, Zinc Stearate

The Weasel
01-15-2007, 18:42
Plain old Johnsons Baby powder (http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/products/powder/baby-powder) is talc plus fragrance. The other four other Johnsons variants are based on corn starch.

For Gold Bond powder, here's the best ingredients list I could find online: Menthol 0.8% (Anti-Itch), Zinc Oxide 0.5% (Skin Protectant), Talc, Acacia, Eucalyptol, Methyl Salicylate, Salicylic Acid, Thymol, Zinc Stearate

Thanks for the correction. I'll tell my grandkids' parents. Appreciate it.

The Weasel

rafe
01-15-2007, 19:38
For what it's worth if you google "rite aid talcum powder (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rite+aid+talcum+powder&btnG=Google+Search)" the first result gives a cornstarch version and the 2nd result gives the talc version. I guess both are in common use. I assumed it was talc... on historical grounds.

Big Dawg
01-15-2007, 20:25
The generic foot powder I bought has talc, methyl salicylate, and salicylic acid. The tent is finally sealed & talced. Bring it on rain...

The Snowman
01-15-2007, 20:29
Plain unscented talc powder can many times be found in hobby and toy shops but its a hard find . One can also use chalk powder eather sold for climbing or in hardware stores for marking lines.

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2007, 21:04
Just to be clear, all talcum powder is made primarily of talc or else it is mislabeled. Johnson's baby powder is still made of talc, although they have non-talc versions available.

Dollar Tree dollar stores have a generic "Gold Bond"-type medicated powder that costs $1.00 instead of >$5.00 and it works just as well.