PDA

View Full Version : Tent Dilemma

DipDog
01-15-2007, 16:00
I am debating between TNF Tephra 22 and a Mountainsmith Guardian tent. Both near the same weight. However, the Guardian has considerable more square footage (29 vs. 45). I researched some old threads, and there were some reservations about the Tephra being drafty. I will only be using the tent for week long and weekend trips year round. Any advice or experiences to share?

chicote
01-15-2007, 16:09
Drafty isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have no experience with either tent but I'd imagine if the weights are similar i'd probably go with the bigger one — just to have more room. Unless you plan on camping in areas that you'll need a smaller tent to set up camp. My reason for the bigger one is it will make it easier for you to change clothes or hang out if you get stuck in a storm. HTH.

rswanson
01-15-2007, 18:02
I'll agree with chicote. A drafty tent means less condensation. Rely on your bag to keep drafts out and your tent to keep moisture out.

Question DipDog: Why those two tents? Is it a budget consideration? They seem to be less-than-usual choices and they're both pretty heavy.

DipDog
01-16-2007, 09:30
I'll agree with chicote. A drafty tent means less condensation. Rely on your bag to keep drafts out and your tent to keep moisture out.

Question DipDog: Why those two tents? Is it a budget consideration? They seem to be less-than-usual choices and they're both pretty heavy.

Budget is a consern. I also usually don't do more than 8-10 miles per day with little weight due to short trips. My son has recently become interested in backpacking as well, with the Mountainsmith we have plenty of room. If you have any suggestions for other tents with the same room and price...feel free!

rswanson
01-17-2007, 14:02
Budget is a consern. I also usually don't do more than 8-10 miles per day with little weight due to short trips. My son has recently become interested in backpacking as well, with the Mountainsmith we have plenty of room. If you have any suggestions for other tents with the same room and price...feel free!
What's your budget?

DipDog
01-17-2007, 15:57
What's your budget?

Between $100 and $150

NICKTHEGREEK
01-17-2007, 16:16
I am debating between TNF Tephra 22 and a Mountainsmith Guardian tent. Both near the same weight. However, the Guardian has considerable more square footage (29 vs. 45). I researched some old threads, and there were some reservations about the Tephra being drafty. I will only be using the tent for week long and weekend trips year round. Any advice or experiences to share?

For my money bigger is better, particularly when there's 2 people to share the load. What you end up with is plenty of room for playing cards or a small board game with jr. when you get shut in by the weather.