PDA

View Full Version : Golite Customer Service

sliderule
01-15-2007, 16:25
I contacted Golite customer service to ask how I might obtain a small swatch of fabric to repair one of their tents. Here is their response:

Thanks for the interest in GoLite. Unfortunately we do not have any of
that extra fabric at our office to send to you. Our shelters are
manufactured at a factory overseas and that is where the extra fabric is
housed.

My apologies, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

GoLite Customer Service

Needless to say, my interest in Golite is fading rapidly. It appears that "Golite" and "customer service" don't belong in the same sentence.

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2007, 16:30
They should have some on hand for this very reason. Why don't you try a Henry Shire TarpTent Rainbow? He will send you fabric for repairs.

If you sent postage, I'll bet he would even send you some to repair your Golite tarp.

Pacific Tortuga
01-15-2007, 16:33
[quote=sliderule;303558]I contacted Golite customer service to ask how I might obtain a small swatch of fabric to repair one of their tents. Here is their response:

Thanks for the interest in GoLite. Unfortunately we do not have any of
that extra fabric at our office to send to you. Our shelters are
manufactured at a factory overseas and that is where the extra fabric is
housed.

My apologies, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

GoLite Customer Service

That is why I try to buy "Made in America" gear whenever possible, help support the cottage industry.

dloome
01-15-2007, 18:49
I should mention that for me, GoLite has been a fantastic company to deal with. They've replaced a couple damaged gear items no questions asked, even paid for express shipping when I was on the AT so I wouldn't have to lose a day waiting at the P.O. Overall I think they make great products, stand behind their warranty and have consistently been courteous and prompt in their business whenever I've dealt with them.

I think instead of asking them for extra fabric, tell them you have a damaged shelter and would like it repaired, I'm sure they'll help you out.

sliderule
01-15-2007, 22:34
I think instead of asking them for extra fabric, tell them you have a damaged shelter and would like it repaired, I'm sure they'll help you out.
Okay, I'll try that approach.

Tha Wookie
01-15-2007, 22:35
As I understand it, all of the original "golite" gear is still available on Rayjardine.com, and it's all "made in america."

Also, you can get fabric from a variety of other sources, including bu tnot limited to questoutfitters.com

The best thing about making your own gear is knowing how to fix it and where to get the materials, my 2cents

sliderule
01-15-2007, 23:17
Also, you can get fabric from a variety of other sources, including bu tnot limited to questoutfitters.com

The best thing about making your own gear is knowing how to fix it and where to get the materials, my 2cents

I could easily salvage enough fabric from the "pole sack" to make the repair. I was just hoping for a more helpful response from Golite.

I could not imagine going to the local Mercedes dealer to buy a repair part and having them say "Sorry, the cars we sell are made overseas." And I wasn't expecting that response from a major outdoor equipment manufacturer, either.

magic_game03
01-15-2007, 23:28
for those that are not up-to-date with the current scene, I have this second hand knowledge to pass. Ray is in heated dispute with golite. they stole his designs and refused to pay him. Also, they continue to use his reputation to sell their stuff. I would boycott them, not because the gear is bad, but because it's another "north face" scheme. Which is, starts off as a great idea, then it turns to crap in the face of capitalism. Ray had some pretty nasty post about "golite", it's not what he said, it's what they did to him. I think you can search for the past post here or at Trailjournals, I cant remember exactly when I saw the post but I think it was in the last year.