PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight Jackets

none
01-15-2007, 16:32
I'm looking for a light weight/compressible jacket for a late spring trip in WA.
I'm interested in night time warmth in camp and want something that isn't too "Michelin man" that I can wear around town. Upto now I've been using a mid weight fleece as my outer insulating layer over smartwool T-shirt base layer.
However, the fleece is bulky in the pack and weighs 17 oz.

I'm looking at the Montain Prism and the Wild Things Primalight jackets. Anyone have any experience with these, how do they pack?, what sort of temp ranges are they good for. FYI I'm not a winter camper so the coldest I usually see is mid 30sF

Footslogger
01-15-2007, 16:35
Take a look at the Puff Ball (MicroPuff) from Patagonia and the Northern Lite from MEC. They are pullovers and are in the same family as the jacket you mentioned. Extremely light, warm and highly compressible.

I carried the Northern Lite on my thru in 2003 and it still going strong. Bought the MicroPuff last year on an after season sale as a replacement, since I know the Northern Lite is not going to last forever (darnit !!)

'Slogger

Cheesewhiz
01-15-2007, 17:14
Late spring hike, definiately the montbell thermawrap weighing in at 8 oz and less than 100 if you look in the right places.

hammock engineer
01-15-2007, 17:23
I have the MEC Northern Lite and really like it. They still might have some XXL's on clearance. Reminds me more of a jacket liner than a jacket by the looks.

A side note on the montbell thermawrap. They do not offer an XXL right now. They are going to offer one sometime this spring. When I called customer service, that was the best answer I could get. They are only going to offer it in black. They are testing the waters to see if there is enough interest in the larger size before they offer more colors or options.

bulldog49
01-15-2007, 17:47
I highly recommend the Patagonia Puffball pullover. Warmth to weight ratio can't be beat and stuffs easily into my pack. It's my favorite article of clothing.

rswanson
01-15-2007, 17:56
Patagonia Micropuff Pullover or the Montbell Thermawrap. Consider a vest if you have good cold weather tolerance and want to shave another 3-4 ounces. If you decide on the Patagonia Micropuff and are not going to layer clothing under it, size down. Mine's a large and its too big for me (6', 200 lbs.).

dloome
01-15-2007, 18:53
Check out the Marmot DriClime windshirt. Windproof, water resistant, nice and breathable, light fleece lining. Great all around jacket that doesn't look Michelin Man-ish.

none
01-15-2007, 18:59
Some great recommendations, I'm looking for a full zip and simple construction, nothing with extra chest pockets. The Patagonia micropuff
jacket comes in at 20 oz which is a bit heavy. I'm trying to keep it below a
pound so for mow it looks like either the

Montbell Thermawrap
Montane Prism
Wild Things Primalight

Blissful
01-15-2007, 20:59
Late spring hike, definiately the montbell thermawrap weighing in at 8 oz and less than 100 if you look in the right places.

Yeah, got mine for $97 and free shipping. But you need to be on the look-out.

Jim Adams
01-15-2007, 23:30
i love my dri clime.
geek

nun
01-16-2007, 01:39
i love my dri clime.
geek

I just read a couple of reviews and the DriClime seems really nice and reasonably priced. I'm worried about the Montbell thermawrap durability.
Its shell looks really fragile.

So looks like its comming down to the
Marmot DriClime
Big Sky warm-n-cozy jacket
Wild things primalight

I like the Montain Prism, but I don't wnat to have to have it shipped from the UK and have to pay customes duty.

hammock engineer
01-16-2007, 01:55
I just read a couple of reviews and the DriClime seems really nice and reasonably priced. I'm worried about the Montbell thermawrap durability.
Its shell looks really fragile.

So looks like its comming down to the
Marmot DriClime
Big Sky warm-n-cozy jacket
Wild things primalight

I like the Montain Prism, but I don't wnat to have to have it shipped from the UK and have to pay customes duty.

I was wondering that about the Montbell thermawrap too. Backpackinggeartest.org just started a test of these. The testers inital reports are up. I'm interested to see how they turn out. I hope this is an item that really gets put to the test, and not used semi-used. Someone on HF has the pants and seems to like them.

Footslogger
01-16-2007, 10:00
i love my dri clime.
geek

==============================

Right there with ya Geek ...but the DryClime isn't nearly as warm as the Northern Lite or MicroPuff.

'Slogger

ric2hunt
01-16-2007, 10:54
try the patagonia micropuff vest. weighs in at 10 oz and packs very well. kept me warm at 20 degrees as an outer shell with layers underneath. great item to wear at the end of the day in camp.

Happy
01-16-2007, 11:09
==============================

Right there with ya Geek ...but the DryClime isn't nearly as warm as the Northern Lite or MicroPuff.

'Slogger

I agree with you...I use the DryClime as my hiking jacket in cold weather and year round jacket for around camp, etc. in the cool to warm months.

In cold weather I carry a WM Flight jacket for around camp, on breaks, and in the sleeping bag, if needed to lower my bag rating.

Since he does not plan on below 35 degrees, a DryClime may work if layered with his rain jacket??

none
01-16-2007, 16:19
I agree with you...I use the DryClime as my hiking jacket in cold weather and year round jacket for around camp, etc. in the cool to warm months.

In cold weather I carry a WM Flight jacket for around camp, on breaks, and in the sleeping bag, if needed to lower my bag rating.

Since he does not plan on below 35 degrees, a DryClime may work if layered with his rain jacket??

Looks like the DriClime is the way to go. I'm going to be in the Cascades in May
and the average low is 43F. So do you think I'll be warm enough around the evening camp in a long sleeve wool T-shirt and the DriClime?

rswanson
01-16-2007, 17:06
Looks like the DriClime is the way to go. I'm going to be in the Cascades in May
and the average low is 43F. So do you think I'll be warm enough around the evening camp in a long sleeve wool T-shirt and the DriClime?
Probably not. The Driclime is a beefed-up windshirt, not an insulated jacket, and is designed primarily for climbers and the like. Remember your goal: reduce bulk and wieght. You can get two pieces that will give you greater flexibility for less weight. Try a true windshirt, coupled with a high-loft jacket or vest. The idea is to hike in the windshirt (if neccessary, over baselayer) and throw on the insulating piece when at-rest. Target 3-4 ounces for the windshirt and 6-10 ounces for the insulating piece.

For the insulating piece, don't worry so much about durability. You're not going to hike with it; they're simply too warm for that (unless temps are way below freezing). The Montbell jackets are plenty durable for at-rest situations. Also, don't look for a jacket with a hood or pockets since you'll also be carrying gloves and a hat. A full zip isn't neccessary either as you don't need the venting options.

vipahman
01-16-2007, 17:30
Rswanson is correct. You will be cold. There is no insulation value in the Marmot DriClime windshirt. It is what it says: a windproof shirt.

Also note that an average of 43 means you need to plan for 33. That will keep you safe and warm.

Around camp, in those temps, you will need 3 light top layers or 2 heavier top layers. I recommend going with 3 layers as that gives more flexibilty in varying conditions.

My favorite layering combo is:
baselayer: silkweight wicking top (5 oz)
mid-layer: turtleneck sweater (14 oz)
outer-layer: waterproof shell (14 oz)

I also got myself one of these from SteepandCheap.com as a second mid-layer for colder trips. It packs small (see photos in link).
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/MNS0011/Moonstone-Ultralight-Cirrus-Jacket-Mens.html?id=ZQ28MhIB

DareN
01-16-2007, 17:43
Is the MEC Northern Lite Jacket made anymore? All that they have on their site is the vest. I hope so, that is what I wanted.

Footslogger
01-16-2007, 17:54
Is the MEC Northern Lite Jacket made anymore? All that they have on their site is the vest. I hope so, that is what I wanted.

=================================

I heard from their CS rep that they were out of stock for "the season", whatever that meant. I have the long sleeve pullover and carried it on my 2003 thru. Like it so much that I tried to get one for my wife after I got home. Never could get a straight answer from MEC so broke down and got her the MicroPuff. I little heavier and not quite as compressible but she loves it. I pretty much consider the MicroPuff an even substitute for the Northern Lite all things considered ...the most important of which being that you can still GET the MicroPuff.

'Slogger

none
01-16-2007, 19:22
Rswanson is correct. You will be cold. There is no insulation value in the Marmot DriClime windshirt. It is what it says: a windproof shirt.

Also note that an average of 43 means you need to plan for 33. That will keep you safe and warm.

Around camp, in those temps, you will need 3 light top layers or 2 heavier top layers. I recommend going with 3 layers as that gives more flexibilty in varying conditions.

My favorite layering combo is:
baselayer: silkweight wicking top (5 oz)
mid-layer: turtleneck sweater (14 oz)
outer-layer: waterproof shell (14 oz)

I also got myself one of these from SteepandCheap.com as a second mid-layer for colder trips. It packs small (see photos in link).
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/MNS0011/Moonstone-Ultralight-Cirrus-Jacket-Mens.html?id=ZQ28MhIB

Ok here's my solution. I'm going with the DriClime for daytime wear and I'll layer, but I'm also buying a jacks r better sleeping quilt so if I'm cold I can wrap up in that. The quilt will do double duty.

Mags
01-16-2007, 19:37
Ok here's my solution. I'm going with the DriClime for daytime wear and I'll layer, but I'm also buying a jacks r better sleeping quilt so if I'm cold I can wrap up in that. The quilt will do double duty.

That's essentially what I do. I now use the Montbell version of the DriClime (my DriClime finally wore out!) as it is lighter and a bit less bulky. If you have the kind of outdoor style where you are moving all day and spend little time in camp, then a lined windshirt is a wonderful garment. I wear mine all year and is by far my favorite piece of outdoor clothing.

I find the Primaloft type jackets to be much too warm and not as versatile for *my* outdoor activities (hiking, trail running, nordic skiing, snowshoeing) and style. If I was hanging around camp more than I do, I suspect that I'd want thermawrap type jacket more.

Since I don't hang in camp all that much, I tend to just get in my sleeping bag when I do hang in camp.

I now own a Montbell Thermwrap which I use in "shoulder season" hiking (early spring and late fall) and in winter. My down coat is much too bulky and heavy (if very warm!) for during the day/moving. I find that the Thermawrap is a great jacket paired with my windshirt when the temps are really frigid. Since it is light and not bulky, I can stash it in my day pack quite easily.

I was out skiing this past weekend with single digit temps and found that my lined windshirt was enough. When the wind picked up, thew on my thermwrap and was quite toasty (even when stopped for a quick break).

rswanson
01-16-2007, 20:01
That's a good plan. The JRB quilts are made to replace lofted jackets. Anytime you can get double-duty out of a piece of gear you're on the right track. I think the Driclime is too heavy for what it does but that's just my pref.

Keep in mind that if you're using your JRB quilt in lieu of a jacket, you don't have another insulating piece to extend the range of your sleep system if it gets cold but you may not need it if temps stay above freezing. Have a good trip!

DareN
01-16-2007, 20:06
Thanks for the info on the Northern Lite 'Slogger.

trail ronin
01-17-2007, 01:08
If you order now you can get a XXL Puff Ball (MicroPuff) from Patagonia for $101.00 (You have to order by phone to get the close out price) Save 50 bucks. This pullover won't be offered in the 07 line up. If you don't have one of this , Get one before they are gone !

The Band-aid Kid
01-17-2007, 02:43
I have an REI Gossamer jacket (15 oz) as my in-camp and "stand around on a cold day" insulation layer. It does great down to well below freezing. It is very packable and fits into a mid-sized OR silnylon ditty sack. The insulation is synthetic, though I haven't used it in truly wet weather yet. It has a hood and is full zip. It is a fairly slim cut and does not have the kind of "puff" most down jackets do. This may be warmer than what you need, but in terms of weight and packability it appears to be well within the range of other items discussed above. It has held up well and done a fine job for me.

troglobil
01-17-2007, 09:25
what about the montbell UL down inner jacket?

troglobil
01-17-2007, 09:32
Hit "post" to soon.
Also very lightweight and compressable. Wear a windproof layer over it and it works great.

rafe
01-17-2007, 09:33
How about a long sleeve acrylic flannel shirt (say, 11 oz. and $10) coupled with an ultralight silnylon rain jacket (say, 6 oz.) Two layers, lots of options. The shirt is handy around camp on cool evenings, with or without the rain top.

Ewker
01-18-2007, 11:16
is there a reason no one has mentioned down jackets?

saimyoji
01-18-2007, 13:38

Perhaps its the "Michelin Man" factor.

I use a Campmor Polartec200 fleece and a PacTech waterproof shell. Lots of options, only cost me about $40.

saimyoji
01-18-2007, 13:40
Perhaps its the "Michelin Man" factor.

I use a Campmor Polartec200 fleece and a PacTech waterproof shell. Lots of options, only cost me about $40.

Note: This probably won't help you, sorry, bulky and heavy by your standards. :o

Ewker
01-18-2007, 13:45
whose standards???

troglobil
01-18-2007, 15:13
I did, post #27:banana

Ewker
01-18-2007, 16:26
sorry about that..it seems most are set on the Micropuff.

I do like the Montbell gear

troglobil
01-18-2007, 16:42
I wish I could tell more about the Montbell, I just bought it this year and have not had a chance to try it yet. I picked it upat Mountain Crossings in Neels Gap, Figured if they sold it, it should be worth having. Anyway,iIt looks promising.

saimyoji
01-18-2007, 17:16
whose standards???

The original poster. :o

Big Dawg
01-18-2007, 20:16
Some great recommendations, I'm looking for a full zip and simple construction, nothing with extra chest pockets. The Patagonia micropuff
jacket comes in at 20 oz which is a bit heavy. I'm trying to keep it below a
pound so for mow it looks like either the

Sounds like the micropuff won't work b/c it's not full zip, and has a chest pocket,,, but not sure where you're getting the "20 ozs":-?,,,,,, my XXL micropuff is 14.2 ozs

stag3
01-18-2007, 23:07
Any opinions on Feathered Friends Hyperion jackets? Only 11 ounces.

rswanson
01-19-2007, 12:38
Any opinions on Feathered Friends Hyperion jackets? Only 11 ounces.
Chris 'Suge' Willett has a good review (http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett/cdt/gear.html) of the Hyperion on his site...hope he doesn't mind me posting the link!