PDA

View Full Version : First 60 Miles

Bruce Hudson
01-15-2007, 21:16
I intend to hike the 1st 60 miles this spring-- getting off near Franklin, NC. My previous experience is limited to two night outings. I'm mainly interested in knowing the amount of food I'll need to cary (are there re-supply points) and how regularly water will be available, i.e. how much water to carry. And of course any other advise will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce Hudson
[email protected]
Raleigh, NC

rafe
01-15-2007, 21:27
Four days worth of food should be fine. Five if you plan to walk really slow. My $0.02, from hazy recollection.

Monkeyboy
01-15-2007, 21:37
"Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but everyone has to put their two cents in?"

-Steven Wright

:)

Alligator
01-15-2007, 21:43
The 1st 60 miles doesn't get you to Franklin, NC:confused:

RAT
01-15-2007, 21:45
The amount of food carried depends on how many days it will take you. Can get some resupplies at Neels, Rainbow Springs, and some other points further off the trail if desired (can get beer in Helen Ga a Bavarian themed town well worth seeing :) ), and there is plenty of water available on that section, I never had to carry more than 2 qts at a time no matter what time of yr it was.

Hope this helps,
RAT

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2007, 21:48
That's what I was thinking 'gator. There are about 75 miles in GA... so 60 miles will land you somewhere near Dicks Creek Gap.

Marta
01-15-2007, 21:49
I'm a bit confused about your plans. Springer to Winding Stair Gap is 106.6 miles. There are several possible resupply points in Georgia--Neels Gap, Unicoi Gap, and Dicks Creek Gap. Generally there's quite a bit of water along the way, especially as you get into the Nantahala NF.

weary
01-15-2007, 22:04
I intend to hike the 1st 60 miles this spring-- getting off near Franklin, NC. My previous experience is limited to two night outings. I'm mainly interested in knowing the amount of food I'll need to cary (are there re-supply points) and how regularly water will be available, i.e. how much water to carry. And of course any other advise will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce Hudson
[email protected]
Raleigh, NC
Check your mileage. I'm guessing you are talking "as the crow flies", not the longer trail miles. There are several resupply points, so that's not a problem. I tend to go as long as possible between resupply. But YMMV.

Weary

RAT
01-16-2007, 00:27
Sounds like it was a great time. At least the weather wasnt too cold. Too bad it wasnt the weekend before or the weekend after or I could have attended,, Grrrrrr ! Maybe next time. Glad everything went well and all had a good time and it looks like everyone is making it home safe as well. As for playing golf with LW, that's ok, just dont dare challenge him to horseshoes ;)

RAT

RAT
01-16-2007, 00:28
*** ? I posted this in the SOruck thread ? Howd it get here ?????

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 07:39
Can get some resupplies at Neels, Rainbow Springs, and some other points further off the trail if desired
RAT

You can't get *****t at Rainbow Springs anymore. It's been closed a few years.

Gray Blazer
01-16-2007, 10:38
You can get candy bars and sodas and a few camping supplies at the Standing Indian Campstore.

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2007, 16:26
As others have pointed out, the first 60 miles doesn't put you anywhere near Franklin; if you wish to continue on to Franklin, it's 106.6 miles as Wolf previosuly pointed out; this takes most folks around nine days.

If instead of Franklin, you get off the Trail at Dick's Creek Gap/US76, you'll have hiked 66.6 miles. Most folks DO NOT hike this in four days unless they're in really good shape.

The majority of folks go from Springer Mt. to Dick's Creek Gap in 5-8 days, depending on several factors:

*How far do they hike their first day out?
*Do they overnight at Neels Gap or do they hike straight thu?

For most people, I'd suggest bringing 3 or 4 days worth of supplies from Springer; then buy another 3 or 4 day's worth at Mountain Crossings in Neels Gap to see you to Rt. 76. If you decide to continue to Franklin (i.e. Winding Stair Gap/US 64) then I'd get another 3-4 days worth of suplies in Hiawassee where there are two large supermarkets.

Kerosene
01-16-2007, 19:30
Even if you're in great shape, unless you have some significant backpacking experience I would limit your daily mileage for this first trip to 10-12 miles. Using that as a baseline, you would camp somewhere around Sassafras Mountain, a few miles past Woody Gap, Cowrock Mountain, Blue Mountain Shelter, then Deep Gap Shelter or perhaps a few more miles to hitch into Hiawassee. The first three nights would be dry camps, where you would eat dinner at a prior shelter or carry enough water to eat dinner at camp and walk to another water source for breakfast.

RAT
01-16-2007, 19:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=303754#post303754)
Can get some resupplies at Neels, Rainbow Springs, and some other points further off the trail if desired
RAT

You can't get *****t at Rainbow Springs anymore. It's been closed a few years.

Thanks for that update Wolf, guess I should get a short term loan from you and go buy it then ?? lol I havent spoken with Buddy and Jensine in a couple years so that's why I am out of the know for that area. I cant believe how much Wesser has changed in the last 5 yrs too.

RAT

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 19:56
Thanks for that update Wolf, guess I should get a short term loan from you and go buy it then ?? lol I havent spoken with Buddy and Jensine in a couple years so that's why I am out of the know for that area. I cant believe how much Wesser has changed in the last 5 yrs too.

RAT

I ain't got that kind of coin. It's gonna be developed for high end homes. Better consult Trump for a loan.

Almost There
01-16-2007, 20:09
Rainbow Springs has already been sold, they haven't started building yet, but they have a big, fancy electrical gate up at the entrance now.

Bruce Hudson
01-17-2007, 17:53
I appreciate all the input and the URL's folks have forwarded me in private email. I'm late to camping-- basically discovered last year-- and late to teaching-- certified post 60. But the good news is the time window is open and enthusiasm is high. An eagle scout across the street from me reported the first leg as 60 miles, and my memory was he said it was to Franklin. But the good news is (that with the teaching career) there is no mandatory time to stop. Thanks for all the information, and I'm sure my enthusiasm and expectations will rise as I continue to hang around reading here.

Bruce Hudson
[email protected]
Raleigh, NC

LeeF
01-17-2007, 21:02
Bruce,
If you want to test out your new gear and skills a little closer to home I am going on a couple of one and two night trips in the Uwharries between now and spring. I have a new sleeping bag, stove, and boots I need to test before I head off on my spring AT section hike. Troy is only a 100 miles from the Knightdale side of Raleigh and the Uwharrie Trail is great this time of year. Watch the "Hooking Up" section and I'll post when I'm going.

Bruce Hudson
01-18-2007, 09:18
I'm hoping to get to Uwharrie this Sat. if the weather doesn't get too crazy, but only for a day hike. If you're close to Raleigh you might, or might not know about the section of the mountains to the sea trail around Falls Lake, 28 miles. If I can't get to the mountains I go up there just to keep moving on a trail.

Bruce
[email protected]
Raleigh, NC