PDA

View Full Version : PARuck roll call? Any NORucks?

rafe
01-16-2007, 10:04
Still debating about going to PARuck, it's an 8 hour drive from Boston, I figure. Can we do a quick roll call?

Are there any RUCKs in New England? (And if not, why not?)

Sly
01-16-2007, 10:58
The reason why there's no MARuck or NERuck is because no one has taken the initiative to start one.

I always thought Bascom Lodge would make a great place to have one. Get on it!

rafe
01-16-2007, 11:38
The reason why there's no MARuck or NERuck is because no one has taken the initiative to start one.

I always thought Bascom Lodge would make a great place to have one. Get on it!

Is the road to Bascom open all winter? Who manages the lodge these days? I heard AMC was giving it up... not sure to whom. Any other locations come to mind? Surely there have been other Rucks north of PARuck??

Anyway, who's going to PARuck?

Sly
01-16-2007, 12:08
Actually the road is normally closed from late Oct to May and may be closed all year, this year, for repairs.

Rucks can be anytime of year... I'd like to have one in the summer, although this past weekend we couldn't have asked for better weather. I was thinking of having one at a camp ground on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Some of them even have group area 'amphitheaters' with electrical hook-ups for a projector.

Another thought was a walk-in Ruck to the Carter Notch Hut, although from what I've heard, it's not self-sufficient any longer.

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2007, 15:53
There are plenty of hiker Gatherings in New England, Sly. For example, people have been getting together the weekend after Thanksgiving for years now, either at Blister's old place in Vermont; or in Hanover; or this past year, in Glencliff. These events have been widely advertisd, including on Whiteblaze, and everyone is welcome. This year's attendance was great.

Likewise, there's been a big Whiteblaze get-together in Maine for several years now, in September.

We might not call these events "Rucks" but for Sly to say nobody's ever taken the initiative to have a weekend get-together in New England is mistaken. There have been quite a few.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 16:01
There are plenty of hiker Gatherings in New England, Sly. For example, people have been getting together the weekend after Thanksgiving for years now, either at Blister's old place in Vermont; or in Hanover; or this past year, in Glencliff. These events have been widely advertisd, including on Whiteblaze, and everyone is welcome. This year's attendance was great.

Likewise, there's been a big Whiteblaze get-together in Maine for several years now, in September.

We might not call these events "Rucks" but for Sly to say nobody's ever taken the initiative to have a weekend get-together in New England is mistaken. There have been quite a few.

terrapin asked a specific question about Rucks in N.E. and Sly answered. I'm sure terrapin is aware of other types of gatherings in N.E. and Sly is not mistaken. Nobody has taken the initiative to start a Ruck in N.E.

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2007, 16:07
Go eat some prunes, Wolf, sounds like you've had a rough afternoon. :D

rafe
01-16-2007, 16:07
terrapin asked a specific question about Rucks in N.E. and Sly answered. I'm sure terrapin is aware of other types of gatherings in N.E. and Sly is not mistaken. Nobody has taken the initiative to start a Ruck in N.E.

I was aware of the occasional ALDHA gathering in Hanover... and something or other at someone's place (the Cabin?) near Andover ME. Neither of these was refered to as a Ruck. I haven't been active on WB for all that long so I don't know all the traditions. I know that even PARUCK is a long drive from Boston.

Boat Drinks
01-16-2007, 16:09
:cool:
Still debating about going to PARuck, it's an 8 hour drive from Boston, I figure. Can we do a quick roll call?

I drove at least 8 to the SoRuck. Good drive though, scenic, good book on CD. It was WELL WORTH IT for me.
:cool:

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 16:10
Go eat some prunes, Wolf, sounds like you've had a rough afternoon. :D

why prunes? so i can have diarrhea of the mouth like you?

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2007, 16:13
Fine. Forget the prunes. Try Midol, maybe. But you do indeed seem a little out of sorts today. Go lie down or something. It'll pass.

Sly
01-16-2007, 16:17

Hmmm... he asked about "Rucks" I answered. :sun

Instead of pouncing on me Jack, wouldn't it have been simple enough to answer Terripin in the affirmitive mentioning the Whteblaze feed and Hiker Trashgiving? :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2007, 16:31
Calm down.

You weren't "pounced on" by any means.

You and Wolf are correct. There haven't been any big weekend gatherings or events in New England called "Rucks."

But there have indeed been many large weekend-long hiker get-togethers in the Northeast, and this is the ONLY point I was trying to make.

Some folks seriouly need to lighten up.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 16:35
Calm down.

Some folks seriouly need to lighten up.

Whiteblaze has been calm and light all day. Until you logged on. Funny how that is.

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2007, 16:37
Wouldn't know what it's been like all day, some people work for a living.

But if people have been this stiff-assed and sensitive all day, then I'm not sorry I missed it. See ya. :D

emerald
01-16-2007, 16:38
Anyway, who's going to PARuck?

If ya'll are done scrapping now, I thought I might answer the man's question.

Sorry, I ain't got no time for any ruckin' around, even though I might have the inclination. Don't trust my truck entirely either.

Jack, sounds like L. Wolf may need more than just pain relief. He might need period relief (http://www.chattem.com/products/pamp.asp). Maybe you should just let him alone.;)

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 16:42
If ya'll are done scrapping now, I thought I might answer the man's question.

Sorry, I ain't got no time for any ruckin' around, even though I might have the inclination. Don't trust my truck entirely either.

Wolf, sounds like Jack may need more than just pain relief. He might need period relief (http://www.chattem.com/products/pamp.asp). Maybe you should just let him alone.;)

He's always on the rag and bitchy.

emerald
01-16-2007, 16:51
Good comeback! Didn't figure it would take long.:)

Hangman
01-16-2007, 18:46
Myself and sneakertramp will be at the pa. ruck hope to see some of you all there. I will be hanging my hammock at the park camp ground and sneakertramp will be tenting. Anybody wanting to share a site lets us know!

StarLyte
01-18-2007, 11:31

Okay Terrapin.....we'll start a roll call here.....but I never put others on the list. I don't make name tags either. There will be nice stick-ons at the front desk. You can even have a new one for each day :D

StarLyte

Sly
01-18-2007, 14:13
Okay Terrapin.....we'll start a roll call here.....but I never put others on the list. I don't make name tags either. There will be nice stick-ons at the front desk. You can even have a new one for each day :D

What day is the talent show? :p

bfitz
01-18-2007, 14:18

T2...I hope you come! I drove 12 for SORUCK and it was well worth it!