PDA

View Full Version : Seriously thinking of BMT Thru hike this June

Almost There
01-16-2007, 10:40
Any insights would be appreciated. I live in Ga, so I know what to expect weatherwise pretty much. Looking for info, etc. from people who have hiked much of it or all of it. Thanks People!

Tipi Walter
01-16-2007, 11:18
Any insights would be appreciated. I live in Ga, so I know what to expect weatherwise pretty much. Looking for info, etc. from people who have hiked much of it or all of it. Thanks People!

I'm really only familiar with the 40 or 50 mile northern section between Hiway 68/Coker Creek to Hiway 129 at Tapoco but if I can be of any help, let me know. There are a handful of BMT thruhikers on this website that can offer their knowledge and I'm sure they'll chime in. Maybe I'll get to see you on the trail in my neck of the woods.

Almost There
01-16-2007, 11:20
Thanks, Tipi. I probably will have one or two more guys with me as it's shaping up.

Hammock Hanger
01-16-2007, 11:21
I have a journal on both the first section and the middle section over at trail journals.

The trail was pretty well marked the first half. The second half some of the blazes were pretty spread out but there, ya just have to have faith.

Neither trip did we encounter many others. Couple of spots with dogs but the were more bark then bite.

There is a very lovely shelter in Cherry Log just over Hwy 76. Only shelter.

Couple of places to find food or a snack, consult the trail notes provided on BMT site.

Not a lot of views... Very pretty forests.

We will be hiking the third and final section thru the Smokies this spring.

Enjoy your hike.

Almost There
01-16-2007, 11:41
Thanks, HH!

generoll
01-16-2007, 12:31
send Mr. Parkay an email or PM. He did the BMT from north to south recently.

Almost There
01-16-2007, 12:43
Thanks Gene!
No, Boston, we'll hike it NOBO.