PDA

View Full Version : New York Parking, Shuttle???

ATSeamstress
01-16-2007, 11:53
I'm planning a section hike and am looking for the safest place to leave a vehicle for a week. There is parking at Dennytown Rd., NY301, and NY52. Can anyone make a recommendation as to which of these points would be best? Also, can anyone recommend a good shuttle driver (from this area to Warwick Turnpike)? Also as we will be driving all day to get there, is there any reasonable lodging in the area? I see some camping options, which might work.

Thanks,
Kathy
:confused:

Kerosene
01-16-2007, 16:29
I parked at Dennytown Road for two consecutive days in June 2002 and had no problems. We stayed at the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel about 4 miles north of the bridge in Ft. Montgomery on 9W. Spartan but clean and pretty inexpensive relative to the Holiday Inn Express across the highway.

Pringles
01-16-2007, 18:39
I parked at the Bear Mountain Inn, or whatever the big parking lot by the zoo is called. I got there before 8 am, and wasn't charged to drive in. I think if I had gotten there after they start taking money it might have been about $6. It wasn't that I was trying to get out of paying, I just wanted to leave early. I had called earlier, and they said that a person could park in that lot long term. I can't say that anyone watched over my car, but it was fine when I got back to it later that week. I met my shuttle driver there and was transported to where I wanted to start. I got his name from the ATC site.

I think I stayed at the same motel that Kerosene mentioned. It was small, but clean, functional and affordable.

Beth

ATSeamstress
01-17-2007, 13:06
Thank you both for the information! I read about that motel in the guidebook, and I like having the personal recommendation as well.
I'm getting so excited about this trip!

LIhikers
01-24-2007, 09:42
I've parked at 301 for almost a week once, with no problem.

gsingjane
01-24-2007, 12:16
I haven't left a car there, but it looks like the Dennytown parking lot (next to the small brick building) would be pretty safe. It's right on the road where lots of cars pass by and I bet a car could probably stay there for a while and be okay. I wouldn't park in the campgrounds across the road, tho.

Jane in CT