PDA

View Full Version : Mailing Backpack

partinj
01-16-2007, 12:52
I had ask about mailing my backpack off early well mail it off today. The guy at post office that told me 13.95 was way off. When i mail it today the guy that was their today told me their was a sir charge. Are you ready for this 57.92 to send off now the price don't get to me But i told them the size of the box and weight the first time they to get the figures right.
Could not send it first class had to go par post. At lease don't have to woory if they will let take my pack on the trail. The trail i will be on will not have the extra place to put bags just the overhead racks. All well guest
sound off enough SEE YOU ON THE TRAIL GOOD LUCK EVERONE
:datz :bse

Pacific Tortuga
01-16-2007, 13:56
I'm mailing mine by UPS to Baltimore next month, or should I take it on the direct flight from Long Beach, CA.? Which would be safer, better?

Hana_Hanger
01-16-2007, 14:05
Ouch...that was costly!
When we flew we put them inside contractors heavy duty garbage bags and tied them up with strapping and large ID labels on the outside..just like regular luggage...and ours traveled just fine.

Of course we hand carried on the stove parts and anything that would look odd in the x-ray so they could hand inspect it with us right there. Happy to report no problems.

Frosty
01-16-2007, 15:10
Sounds like you have an oversize box or a lot of gear. It may be cheaper to break it into two or three or five packages and mail separately so you can get Priority Mail rate. Or use the Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes- all you can stuff into them for $8.45. By using several flat rate boxes you get Priority Mail 2-3 day service and a much lower rate than parcel post with an oversized box. If you have one or two items that won't fit (tent/whatever) carry only than onboard. If necesary go to Goodwill and buy a $5 suitcase to carry it in and toss it when you get to your destination.

MOWGLI
01-16-2007, 15:37
My pack goes where I go. I wouldn't mail it if I didn't have to. I've flown my pack to Ecuador, Costa Rica, California, Colorado, and Atlanta.

4eyedbuzzard
01-16-2007, 16:02
Parcel post can literally sit for weeks at a P & DC (distribution center) before it is delivered to the destination PO. Make sure you all get insurance on any expensive gear you mail as well (You can get up to $5K coverage at the PO, $500 max online) Packages under 70 lbs and 108" total (L+W+H) can usually go Priority Mail. Leave your fuel out, buy it locally, or send it separately via parcel post. Fuel can only go parcel post and should be stickered ORM-D and Surface Mail Only.

Note: The FAQ Article here at WB http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=97824&postcount=1 mentions that fuel canisters going short distances might be allowed to be mailed Priority if marked "Surface Mail Only". This is incorrect. Because of the way the USPS distribution system works, and that by default all Priority Mail must be okay for air transport, flammable gases can NEVER be sent Priority Mail.

This info provided with the help of my favorite postmaster - "she who must be obeyed.":)

Peaks
01-16-2007, 17:32
Why mail the backpack? I usually put it in a duffle bag and check it as baggage. And of course, no fuel in the backpack.

superman
01-18-2007, 04:56
I've had a bunch of bad experiences using the post office. I use UPS now and haven't had any problems. That may just be luck...I don't know. It cost me about $15 to send my pack to New Mexico a few years ago. I sent it ahead early enough so I was able to call and confirm that it got there OK....then I flew down there. I personally feel that it's easier for me to travel without my pack.

Wolf - 23000
01-18-2007, 11:20
That one of the advantages to traveling light. I've never had a problem traveling with my pack and it can sit right on my lap normal or right by me regardless of how I travel.

Wolf

highway
01-18-2007, 11:49
Dont be cheap. Be sure. Send it first class through USPS. It costs more but it can be tracked. Central Florida to Chama, New Mexico and Pagosa Springs, Colorado took TWO days for food parcels. UPS cant touch that for speed or price. I was flabbergasted to discover it when I checked. I allowed two weeks for delivery but they both checked in at 2 days. I carried my pack, clothes, other items on the plane, inside the Gearskin

stuco
01-18-2007, 16:05
USPS is generally cheaper than ups or fedex etc. But they don't do tracking where you can see where it is, just when it arrives to the location. That is very annoying. And the 2-3 day is not guaranteed, I've sent packages 2-3 day and it took a week.