PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs Shuttle

Captain Slider
01-16-2007, 13:56
Bluff Mt Outfitters provided a great shuttle service to Max Patch.. at $42.00 . I just walked in and asked for the service. There was safe parking in H/Springs for the car. Trail was in great shape, all shelters were clean, plenty of water. I do not understand the clear cutting at Walnut Mt. maybe some one can explain that one. Max to Hot Springs is the best way to go.. the other directions will be a uphill hike.

maxNcathy
01-16-2007, 16:02
How far was the hike back to Hot Springs? Is the outfitter open 7 days a week in April?
Thanks, Sandalwood

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 16:03
Bluff Mt Outfitters provided a great shuttle service to Max Patch.. at $42.00 . I just walked in and asked for the service. There was safe parking in H/Springs for the car. Trail was in great shape, all shelters were clean, plenty of water. I do not understand the clear cutting at Walnut Mt. maybe some one can explain that one. Max to Hot Springs is the best way to go.. the other directions will be a uphill hike.

$42 for 1, one-way? That's seems high. How many miles was it?

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2007, 16:05
It's 20.6 miles from Max Patch Road to Hot Springs; 19.8 miles to Hot Springs from the summit of Max Patch Mountain. Bluff Mt. Outfitters is open 7 days a week in April; as far as I know it's open all year round. Call them at at (828)622-7162 for more information; if you need to know about shuttle services, ask for Dan Gallagher.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 16:06
How far was the hike back to Hot Springs? Is the outfitter open 7 days a week in April?
Thanks, Sandalwood

19.8 miles

Captain Slider
01-17-2007, 10:30
From Max to Hot Springs is mostly down hill... over 3 miles in one section.. the last 2.4 miles into H/Springs is all down hill. I made the trip in 2 days.. next time it will be 3... the cost is $42.. for a car load...

Jack Tarlin
01-17-2007, 19:36
People should also know that it takes the best part of an hour to get from Hot Springs to Max Patch.....and then one has to get back. The roads aren't the greatest, so in addition to burning fuel, one is also putting wear and tear on one's vehicle. Doing this EVERY DAY really affects the life of one's car, van, or truck. A lot of times when folks look at costs of rides or shuttles, they forget that the driver has to get back where he came from, i.e. he has to make the same drive two times.

Hikers that arrange for shuttles should always ask how long the journey will take. Then they should remember that the driver has to do this TWICE. And then, before questioning the cost of the ride, they should ask themselves a few things:

*What's an hour or two of THEIR time worth at home?

*And if they didn't use the shuttle, then what's their alternative for getting
to where they need to be? Are they willing to walk it or hitch it?

In my experience, most A.T. shuttlers offer VERY reasonable fees for their
services, and in many cases, they don't offer enough.

maxNcathy
01-17-2007, 19:58
Thanks, Jack and Lone Wolf. I don't mind paying for service and helping Outfitters or trail angels. Max

Jack Tarlin
01-17-2007, 20:21
In my above post, I meant to say that shuttlers don't CHARGE enough. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of folks like Wolf, Janet, and Bob Peoples.

A few tips:

*Always know IN ADVANCE if there's a charge for a ride and what it'll be.

*If you question the cost or think it's high, discuss this BEFORE the trip.

*If you're in a group, make sure EVERYONE chips in and does their bit.
The only way to stop someone from freeloading is to call 'em on it.

*There will be times when a driver absolutely refuses to take your money.
Respect this....in some cases, they genuinely don't want it. But on longer
trips, ALWAYS offer something, even if it's only a cup of coffee or a
breakfast sandwhich. The kindnesss YOU extend to the driver will in all
likelihood be extended to another hiker in the not-so-distant future.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 20:30
I shuttle for beer,sandwiches, stories, some cash, whatever.:)

Captain Slider
01-18-2007, 14:12
The $42 shuttle fee was very fair for my trip to Max.. his round trip time was around 2 hours there and back.. (plus the fee that all shuttle drives must pay to the Forrest Service.. ) and the wear and tear on his car.. the road is not in great shape.. I am happy to find shuttles .. I just wish I could remember who the driver was.!

Sly
01-18-2007, 14:35
I had people balk on a $100 100 mile (200 round trip) shuttle that takes 4-5 hours. That's OK, I'd rather stay home....

joec
01-22-2007, 11:23
There is alot of downhill coming in from Max Patch to Hot Springs. My wife, however, still is fussing about the trip up Walnut Mountain followed by the climb of Bluff Mountain. It was hot and no fun. Trying to make the next shelter to tent camp and my wife fussing, made me switch over to hammocks. There were alot of nice trees to hang from without going on to the next flat spot.

generoll
03-01-2007, 11:03
Can I leave a vehicle in Hot Springs for a week? What about the post office. Could I park it there? Any suggestions? I need to leave a vehicle there from March 17-23.

Lone Wolf
03-01-2007, 11:05
Can I leave a vehicle in Hot Springs for a week? What about the post office. Could I park it there? Any suggestions? I need to leave a vehicle there from March 17-23.

There's a forest service parking lot right as the trail comes into town NOBO. I parked there last year for 2 weeks.

Jack Tarlin
03-01-2007, 21:17
Slider:

If your driver was a great big grey-bearded bespectacled very funny guy in his fifties, it was, in all likelihood, Dan Gallagher, co-owner of Bluff Mtn. Very good man, too.

tiamalle
03-02-2007, 09:48
Slider:

If your driver was a great big grey-bearded bespectacled very funny guy in his fifties, it was, in all likelihood, Dan Gallagher, co-owner of Bluff Mtn. Very good man, too.could have been Lone Wolf over there also,Jack

Lone Wolf
03-02-2007, 10:10
could have been Lone Wolf over there also,Jack

nah. i'm in my forties, don't wear glasses, and i ain't very funny.:)

Nightwalker
03-02-2007, 11:02
I shuttle for beer,sandwiches, stories, some cash, whatever.:)

I'll keep that in mind. Pale Ale, maybe? :D

Lone Wolf
03-02-2007, 11:04
Pale Ale, maybe? :D

nah. that's yuppie crap. Busch or PBR is good.

eventidecu
03-02-2007, 11:16
Hey NightWalker, I'm doing the Foothills trail from WW falls to Oconee State park next week, I can only find info that has like 2- 7mi days and then a 14mi day. (3 day trip) I think it's because no camp sights in the last part do you have any suggestions? Not meaning to jump thread topic just saw you here and know your familiar with the FH trail pretty good, PM me if you do.

Nightwalker
03-02-2007, 16:25
nah. that's yuppie crap. Busch or PBR is good.

Not Yuppie crap. Hops and malt and water. It's a very old recipe. Just beer without the barley, really.

Nightwalker
03-02-2007, 16:35
Hey NightWalker, I'm doing the Foothills trail from WW falls to Oconee State park next week, I can only find info that has like 2- 7mi days and then a 14mi day. (3 day trip) I think it's because no camp sights in the last part do you have any suggestions? Not meaning to jump thread topic just saw you here and know your familiar with the FH trail pretty good, PM me if you do.

It's around 29 miles from WW Falls to OSP. 13 miles to Burrell's Ford, then 8.5 to Pig Pen Falls and 8 more to Oconee State Park. You are definitely picking the easy end, but for a more difficult and pretty section, go the 30 miles from Laurel Valley to Bad Creek. That section has no roads, lots of falls, and really, really nice campsites. On that section, you can do day one to Laurel Fork Falls, day two to Bear Camp Creek and day three to Bad Creek. Bad Creek has the best parking on the trail. If you want to add a hard extra 3.5 miles the last day, go on to Whitewater Falls instead of Bad Creek.