PDA

View Full Version : Batten down the hatches in NE

woodsy
01-16-2007, 18:47
The first real batch of arctic air is upon us, with some fresh snow to boot.
This just in from Mt Washington:

Now, as if to save face, winter will show off some cold. Temperatures will drop to around -25F tonight. Winds will be strong from the NW at 55-75 mph with higher gusts. Wind chill values will be 55 to 75 below zero. I would suggest that later today, tonight, and tomorrow would be best spent reminiscing about winters past and dreaming of unfathomable depths of snow from the warmth and safety of your home; above treeline will not be a safe place to be. Neil Lareau – Observer

copythat
01-16-2007, 18:54
mt. wash. conditions now: (17:00 et, give or take) ...
minus 8, freezing fog, sustained winds of 70 mph, gusts to 78, windchill (under the sustained winds) minus 46.

my kinda weather! :banana

woodsy
01-16-2007, 19:04
Geez, hope Gardenville is not out on a mountain in Maine somewhere, Brrrrrrr
Hey Gardenville, got your ears on?

Footslogger
01-16-2007, 19:13
I feel for ya ...we've been in the windy deep freeze now for weeks.

Bundle up and break out the brandy !!

'Slogger

ed bell
01-16-2007, 19:16
My mother and father-in law just arrived at Lake Placid to try to get a little taste of winter. Looks like "taste" isn't an accurate description of what they are ending up with.:eek:

emerald
01-16-2007, 19:27
Geez, hope Gardenville is not out on a mountain in Maine somewhere, Brrrrrrr

Hey Gardenville, got your ears on?

If he does have his ears on, they might not be for long!:rolleyes:

You've posted news enough to postpone the plans of most folks who fancy a winter SOBO start.;)

Keeps this up, you might get in some ice fishing yet.:)

woodsy
01-16-2007, 20:12
I feel for ya ...we've been in the windy deep freeze now for weeks.

Bundle up and break out the brandy !!

'Slogger

Yeah you guys have had the 1 two 3 punch already:cool:Brandy ya say?

My mother and father-in law just arrived at Lake Placid to try to get a little taste of winter. Looks like "taste" isn't an accurate description of what they are ending up with.:eek:

Those first class accomodations will be right fine don't ya think?
What a cool place ADKs and Lake Placid.

If he does have his ears on, they might not be for long!:rolleyes:

You've posted news enough to postpone the plans of most folks who fancy a winter SOBO start.;)

Keeps this up, you might get in some ice fishing yet.

I agree with everything you say, lol.

superman
01-16-2007, 21:50
It’s 8 degrees right now and dropping. The dropping temperature is a good thing in this little town. Every day folks drink coffee on the porch of the general store and the unusually warm weather has had people talking about the sky is falling. Now we can all go back to asking "is it cold enough for ya."

Footslogger
01-16-2007, 23:17
It’s 8 degrees right now and dropping. The dropping temperature is a good thing in this little town. Every day folks drink coffee on the porch of the general store and the unusually warm weather has had people talking about the sky is falling. Now we can all go back to asking "is it cold enough for ya."

============================

We're at Zero in Laramie ...but hey, it's 70 inside and that's all that counts.

'Slogger

4eyedbuzzard
01-16-2007, 23:45
Just hit 0° here near Littleton, NH. The wind chill must be -20°. Good news for the ski areas.

ed bell
01-16-2007, 23:53
Those first class accomodations will be right fine don't ya think?
What a cool place ADKs and Lake Placid. They aren't the backpacking type, but love the outdoors. Might be a bit more indoors on this trip.:D

superman
01-17-2007, 07:53
-4 degrees but they said it feels like -18. The question of the day will be "cold enough for ya" followed by "did your car start." Then the question is "go'en fishen." I figure I'll answer "no" to all three.

rafe
01-17-2007, 08:16
The ADKs (Lake Placid, especially) have the clearest, most perfect winter skies you've ever seen. The stars are so thick you can cut 'em. Merry and I walked thru the village of Lake Placid one year on Christmas eve. Zero wind and about 20 below. It was beautiful. You could see lights twinkling from miles away. Current temp in Lake Placid (Wed. 1/17/06 8 AM) is -16 F. (Yes, that's a minus sign.)

madstang
01-17-2007, 08:42
With all the talk about the cold this AM, do any of you have any advice for 3 NOBO's planning to start EARLY February? With the start date wuickly approaching and the mercury falling, I must admit that I am more than a little apprehensive. Please send encouraging stories about the warm fires and hot cocoa waiting at all of the shelters.:confused:

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 08:44
With all the talk about the cold this AM, do any of you have any advice for 3 NOBO's planning to start EARLY February? With the start date wuickly approaching and the mercury falling, I must admit that I am more than a little apprehensive. Please send encouraging stories about the warm fires and hot cocoa waiting at all of the shelters.:confused:

proper clothing, sleeping bag and a tent. Don't sleep in shelters, they're like ice boxes.

rafe
01-17-2007, 08:46
proper clothing, sleeping bag and a tent. Don't sleep in shelters, they're like ice boxes.

You're warmer in a tent, for sure. The smaller the better (less cold air to warm with your body heat, less surface area exposed to the cold.)

madstang
01-17-2007, 08:51
One of us is planning on using a Henessy Hammock for weight savings. I started on that route but got thinking about driving rain and being surrounded by air. I have regressed back to the tent.

madstang
01-17-2007, 08:57
My biggest worry at this point is GSM. I have seen sudden storms dump FEET of snow. I don't fancy walking in such conditions. The other two in my party have less trail experience than I (We're all in our early 20's). DId I mention apprehension? maybe scared is a better word.

superman
01-17-2007, 09:13
Prepare, prepare, prepare, monitor the weather and if all that fails with your final thoughts just think "but there weren't any bugs." That way you'll have a small grin on your face that will keep people speculating for years what you might have been thinking.
This was only intended for humor. I used to winter camp in the early 70's with my ex-wife, without any of the great gear they have today. I used to make a frame of spruce bows and cover it thick with snow. I only carried two pieces of plastic, one for under the sleeping bag and one for between the spruce bows and snow. I brought a plastic bag that I cut a small hole in and pulled a spruce bow into it. That served a the door. It worked great, light weight and it was warm. STAY HYDRATED

4eyedbuzzard
01-17-2007, 10:05
Due to your start date, snow is a probability, not a possibility at some point during you first two months. As you seem to realize, where and how much is impossible to predict. And I wouldn't discount my concern with the mountains south or north of GSMNP either. If a storm hits you may be in very difficult conditions regarless of your location. Of at least as much concern as snow is freezing rain/ice storms, a trail coated in ice, and falling ice/limbs. I was in the Smokies during an ice storm once. Everything was covered with about a half-inch of ice. It was absolutely beautiful - the forest glistened. There were two big problems though. One was that you could barely remain upright on your feet, walking was more like controlled sliding. The second problem was that every few seconds you heard the sound of falling limbs and ice. Not a user friendly forest for several days. Be sure to carry extra food and fuel in case you get stuck for a few days, make sure someone knows your planned itinerary, trail name, etc, and make sure to sign the trail registers.

4eyedbuzzard
01-17-2007, 10:21
I used to winter camp in the early 70's with my ex-wife, without any of the great gear they have today. I used to make a frame of spruce bows and cover it thick with snow.

Not to be confrontational, but many, if not most of us were already practicing LNT by the early 70's. And we did have lightweight nylon/down bags, tents, etc. It was "great gear" in its day. Pack, bag, pad, tent combo was anywhere from 4 to 8 pounds heavier than today's gear. Cutting boughs was already discouraged except for survival reasons.

woodsy
01-17-2007, 12:23
-4 degrees but they said it feels like -18. The question of the day will be "cold enough for ya" followed by "did your car start." Then the question is "go'en fishen." I figure I'll answer "no" to all three.

"Got the sled out yet?" Yup

Got just enough snow to run around on. When it hits 0 deg F this afternoon, firing up the old 440 Panther , headin to the semi- local Beer store for supplies.:)
With a sled, you can see many places that you would not easily get to in other seasons. ;)
Some hikers and skiers appreciate them too for their packed trails.:)

superman
01-17-2007, 14:56
"Not to be confrontational, but many, if not most of us were already practicing LNT by the early 70's. And we did have lightweight nylon/down bags, tents, etc. It was "great gear" in its day. Pack, bag, pad, tent combo was anywhere from 4 to 8 pounds heavier than today's gear. Cutting boughs was already discouraged except for survival reasons."

No confrontation taken...it's way too late to get the panties in a bunch over. I wasn't in the loop in the late 60's and early 70's...oops...I'm barely on the edge of the loop now.:-?

How ever it doesn't hurt to mention that if conventional gear isn't enough there are some other things that can be done in a pinch. Tents are ok but snow caves can be cozy and they can be constructed in different ways.

walkin' wally
01-17-2007, 18:21
In Greenville, Maine north of Monson The temp at dawn was -12 degrees with a -37 wind chill factor. The high temp today was -4.

Roland
01-17-2007, 20:06
In Greenville, Maine north of Monson The temp at dawn was -12 degrees with a -37 wind chill factor. The high temp today was -4.

It was a bit warmer in Gorham. Our overnight low was -10F; the daytime high was 2F.

Tonight's forecast low is -12F, though it's already -4F. With clear skies and calming winds, I wouldn't be surprised if our morning temperature was colder than forecast. But there is a warming trend on the way. The temperature in the next two days is expected to climb into the upper 20s. What a strange winter it's been, so far.

mudhead
01-27-2007, 08:13
Brisk ain't it? -4 here on the coast, but the wind bell is quiet. Hope the SAR guys get to stay home this weekend.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2007, 08:16
global warming:rolleyes:

woodsy
01-27-2007, 08:19
-13 deg F:sununder clear skies

Pokey2006
01-27-2007, 08:22
Ya, I love that "it's not safe to be above treeline"...IT'S NOT SAFE TO BE AT SEA LEVEL! Last night was 3 to 8 degrees down a little further along the coast in southern NH/Mass.

It's so cold it HURTS!

atraildreamer
01-27-2007, 08:46
global warming:rolleyes:

I hate the cold and snow! :sun

I look forward to the day that I can step out of my boat right into my apartment on the 6th floor! :D :banana

Pokey2006
01-27-2007, 08:58
And my crappy apartment 10 miles from the shore will become beachfront property...bring it on!

the_iceman
01-27-2007, 09:26
Heck it was only 8 degrees here in MA at 6:00 pm last night and we are only about 120 ' above sea level here. They low last night was -1 and that was for flat landers. To make it worse there is no snow which seems to take the edge off.

Moxie00
01-27-2007, 10:49
Well, lucky me. I am on ski patrol on a local mountain today and all day tomorrow. The wind chill is between -20 and -40 and there are still idiots skiing. I live about 100 air miles from Mt. Washington but on these cold clear days it looks like a great white whale just resting on the horizon. The cold air is as clear as a glass of gin. We finally have a little snow in Maine, the artic air has gotten all the lakes to freeze solid, and it is frigid but very beautiful. Winter at last. It should be a good year for early southbounders. With little snow the flooding river fords should be much easier and early fords possible.

4eyedbuzzard
01-27-2007, 12:35
-18 overnight low here near Littleton, NH.

In a word: F#*%ing Cold

Skiing with frozen toes, fingers, and a face mask sucks.

The Old Fhart
01-27-2007, 13:08
I can remember one year when I was in high school that the local paper(The Berlin Reporter) had headlines that the daytime high temps for the entire month of Febuary averaged 0° F. I lived 13 miles NW of Berlin and it was slightly colder there and it of course it was much colder at night.

rafe
01-27-2007, 13:13
The serious cold is over in Boston. The day started at 2 degrees F and it's already up to 15. Light snow falling, just a dusting so far, no wind. Predicted high of 27 today, 33 tomorrow.

Fannypack
01-27-2007, 13:42
already 59°F in Richmond, VA

REBELYELL
01-27-2007, 19:16
All I can say about Upstate NY right now is."Lake Effect!"...we did make it to 19*today

4eyedbuzzard
01-30-2007, 08:57
Crisp and clear this morning. Days are getting longer. Spring is just around the corner.:sun :rolleyes:

-18 at 7:30am, and with no wind it feels like...:-? ... -18

woodsy
02-04-2007, 11:57
It's back:

Since the snowfall ended, temperatures have been trending downwards, and when combined with wind-chill, will reach dangerous levels for the rest of our forecast period. Today’s high was seen at midnight, and temperatures will fall through the day, eventually bottoming out around 30 below tonight, while winds gust to near hurricane force. It is strongly encouraged with these conditions not to venture above treeline without the best gear and plenty of experience to draw upon if something goes wrong. Or if ANYTHING goes wrong. Lose a glove, twist an ankle…these are things that can turn VERY serious in such windchills.

Lastly, the daily record today is -35F. It doesn’t look like we’ll get that cold by midnight, so a two year streak on the summit comes to an end. The station has broken daily records each of the last two Superbowl Sunday’s. Then again they were both record highs, and by game time this year we’ll be over 60 degrees colder than last years kickoff. And tomorrow’s record low of -25F shouldn’t stand but one second past midnight tonight… Jim Salge – Observer
http://www.mountwashington.org/images/feed-icon-16x16.gif (http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/rss.xml)

4eyedbuzzard
02-04-2007, 12:18
It's back: ...temperatures will fall through the day, eventually bottoming out around 30 below tonight, while winds gust to near hurricane force. It is strongly encouraged with these conditions not to venture above treeline without the best gear and plenty of experience to draw upon if something goes wrong.

...30 below tonight, while winds gust to near hurricane force. It is strongly encouraged with these conditions not to venture above treeline - how about not to venture - period?!:-? It's 20° in bright sun on my deck right now, but the wind chill is probably already sub-zero. Beautiful day for a short downwind hike.;) Tonite's forecast is for -7°F, with -30°F wind chills here in the Connecticut River valley area.

woodsy
02-13-2007, 07:45
Blizzard of 07 is on the way folks, the mountains here are expecting up to 2 feet of snow along with very cold temps and lots of wind too. We haven't had a DUMP like this in a few years! Batten down the hatches!:cool:

superman
02-13-2007, 12:26
Usually the snow sort of gets funneled through Grafton. Maybe the high winds will just blow it right through to Maine. We lose our electric power a lot here so I don't see a chance of getting past this one without the candles and the would stove. I'm trying to remember if I nailed the roof on the new addition real good. Not to worry...my out door privy works even if the in door one doesn't.

woodsy
02-13-2007, 14:30
[quote=superman Not to worry...my out door privy works even if the in door one doesn't.[/quote]

Now that is important. Back to basics, and the ability to do so is high on my priority list. I love being "snowed in".:) well, with a snowmobile in the yard, I guess I am never REALLY "snowed in", I can always get to the beer store:sun

hawkeye
02-13-2007, 16:32
It's going to rain on the Cape. (maybe)

saimyoji
02-13-2007, 17:31
I guess I am never REALLY "snowed in", I can always get to the beer store:sun

I postholed eight blocks through 3 feet on the street and 7 foot drifts a few years ago. All for a lousy 12 pack. What a great afternoon that was. :banana

woodsy
02-13-2007, 18:41
I postholed eight blocks through 3 feet on the street and 7 foot drifts a few years ago. All for a lousy 12 pack. What a great afternoon that was. :banana

You should think about getting a "sled";)

REBELYELL
02-13-2007, 18:46
As if we up here in Syracuse have'nt had enough,now a nor-easter is blowing through with four more feet of snow.At this rate I'll have to tunnel to Springer in March

emerald
02-13-2007, 18:50
I've been studying them carefully. One of these days, when I figure out his secret, I'm going to start one myself.;)

moxie
02-13-2007, 20:24
My snowmobile is ready, I test ran my generator, stocked up on food----let it come, we need the snow. It as been too cold too long and we need snow to play in. If we dont get some snow in the mountains the Kennebec crossing will be dusty by August, Lone Wolf wont even get his toes wet.

woodsy
02-13-2007, 20:38
Aint nothing we ain't seen before, just been awhile.:)
I say rejoice, you AT snow enthusiasts!:cool:

weary
02-13-2007, 20:59
It's going to rain on the Cape. (maybe)
It may even rain on midcoast Maine. Or at least give us some sleet. Regardless. If my wife didn't have to drive 90 miles tomorrow to get to work and back, I'd applaud this storm. I haven't been on snowshoes in 2-3 years. I'd love to see us get a foot or two of snow.

Weary

emerald
02-13-2007, 21:06
Who's got a job for a hard working, sorta still young man in Maine that pays enough to buy groceries and housing? It seems like moving would be a good idea and I might as well say so, or I may just spend the rest of my life in Pennsylvania reading and posting to woodsy threads.

weary
02-13-2007, 21:20
Who's got a job for a hard working, sorta still young man in Maine that pays enough to buy groceries and housing? It seems like moving would be a good idea and I might as well say so, or I may just spend the rest of my life in Pennsylvania reading and posting to woodsy threads.
I posted a notice a couple of weeks or so ago about two land trusts on midcoast Maine seeking some one to be a shared executive director. Sadly no one from White Blaze took notice. It's too late now. I think we hired someone today. She wants to check the "workplan" and personel policies first.

But we are paying $45,000 plus assorted benefits (things like SS, and medical insurance.) Such opportunities crop up periodically. Just be alert. I probably won't be on the hiring committee next time, but one never knows for sure about such things.

Weary

woodsy
02-13-2007, 21:57
As if we up here in Syracuse have'nt had enough,now a nor-easter is blowing through with four more feet of snow.At this rate I'll have to tunnel to Springer in March

Yeah, you guys got hammered, and are gonna get it again! Batten down the hatches! LOL:) I hear 10' of snow on the ground in parts of upstate NY, after this one, is there anything that isn't white? :rolleyes: Get the "sled" out!:)

emerald
02-13-2007, 22:05
I posted a notice a couple of weeks or so ago about two land trusts on midcoast Maine seeking some one to be a shared executive director. Sadly no one from White Blaze took notice. It's too late now. I think we hired someone today. She wants to check the "workplan" and personel policies first.

But we are paying $45,000 plus assorted benefits (things like SS, and medical insurance.) Such opportunities crop up periodically. Just be alert. I probably won't be on the hiring committee next time, but one never knows for sure about such things.

Weary

The costs associated with lost potential opportunities are paid in thinking about what might have been!:(:o

saimyoji
02-13-2007, 22:09
4 inches of snow and now a nice coating of freezing rain.....will make tomorrow's drive to work fun. :-? Maybe I'll pretend I'm out on the trail, pitch my tent and climb in...its only 15* out there. :cool:

emerald
02-13-2007, 22:10
I hear 10' of snow on the ground in parts of upstate NY...

You wouldn't be exaggeratin' a bit there, would ya woodsy?:rolleyes:;)

rafe
02-13-2007, 22:21

Actually, not at all (http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/02/11/frigid.weather.ap/index.html). In fact it's a slight understatement.

woodsy
02-13-2007, 22:25

Parts of upstate New York are reporting 140" of snow, I am not exagerating:eek:

woodsy
02-13-2007, 22:31
Actually, not at all (http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/02/11/frigid.weather.ap/index.html). In fact it's a slight understatement.

Great article TT, Too cool being in a snow cocoon:) Imagine, your whole house buried in snow.:cool:

rafe
02-13-2007, 22:36
Lake effect is something you have to experience. Growing up in Rochester we got a bit of it. I think it was '66 or so when we had snow drifts up to the roof of our house. School was out for a week. Yeah!! In Rochester, it took a lot of snow to shut down the schools. The most extreme lake effect happens on the far-eastern shores of Lake Erie (eg. Buffalo and the towns south of it) and Lake Ontario (eg. Watertown.)

ed bell
02-13-2007, 23:10
Lake effect is something you have to experience. Growing up in Rochester we got a bit of it. I think it was '66 or so when we had snow drifts up to the roof of our house. School was out for a week. Yeah!! In Rochester, it took a lot of snow to shut down the schools. The most extreme lake effect happens on the far-eastern shores of Lake Erie (eg. Buffalo and the towns south of it) and Lake Ontario (eg. Watertown.)Wow, I lived in Rochester two different times in the early seventies and I can identify with the snow drifts to the roof. I was just 4 and 6 years old, but the snow was something I'll never forget. I sulk through every snow starved winter I go through down here in SC. Ice storms suck.

rafe
02-13-2007, 23:14
Wow, I lived in Rochester two different times in the early seventies and I can identify with the snow drifts to the roof. I was just 4 and 6 years old, but the snow was something I'll never forget. I sulk through every snow starved winter I go through down here in SC. Ice storms suck.

Actually, the ice storm we had in Rochester in the winter of '90-'91 did a lot more damage than any snowstorm I recall from my yout'. Took down every power and phone line in Monroe County, just about. Took many weeks to recover.

emerald
02-13-2007, 23:20
Too cool being in a snow cocoon:) Imagine, your whole house buried in snow.:cool:

Really, bein' a paatridge wouldn't be so bad! Might seem a bit strange at first, but wrapped in feathahs sheltahd from the wind in a snow bank would be somethin' ya'd warm uptah.;)

woodsy
02-13-2007, 23:35
Really, bein' a paatridge wouldn't be so bad! Might seem a bit strange at first, but wrapped in feathahs sheltahd from the wind in a snow bank would be somethin' ya'd warm uptah.;)

OK, that's funny but realistic considering what the northern New Yorkers are dealing with.:D I've been in a snowcave on top of a mountain and the silence is erie quiet, nothing quite like it.:) The Partridge know this feeling well. ;)

Blue Jay
02-14-2007, 02:57
OK, that's funny but realistic considering what the northern New Yorkers are dealing with.

Dealing with what? Only a few years ago this kind of storm happened every other week in the winter. As for lake effect storms they have never stopped happening, in fact, they might be getting worse due to the Great Lakes not freezing over any more.

Heater
02-14-2007, 04:28

Weary

What are the qualifications needed for a job like that? Just out of curiosity.

mudhead
02-14-2007, 14:02
4" on the ground. Will get some excitment later, I think. Should be above 20* tonight! I have some parts that don't like the cold. Shovel is sprayed, truck is pointed downhill. Now we wait.

rafe
02-14-2007, 14:26
4" on the ground. Will get some excitment later, I think. Should be above 20* tonight! I have some parts that don't like the cold. Shovel is sprayed, truck is pointed downhill. Now we wait.

?? We've got more than that already in Boston. Lots of folks staying home from work today (I'm guessing about half the employees where I work.)

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2007, 14:45

We have over a foot already, drifting to almost 2 feet, just north and east of Littleton, NH, and it isn't supposed to end until midnight. Gotta go shovel the deck...:mad:

saimyoji
02-14-2007, 15:14
?? We've got more than that already in Boston. Lots of folks staying home from work today (I'm guessing about half the employees where I work.)

Yeah this storm is working its way up north. We had about 11" so far, starting to slow down....lots of ice, roads are ridiculous. Funny how people freak out and close the city down for snow/ice, but then all the idiots get in their cars and drive around to see how bad it is. :rolleyes:

There should be a portion of the drivers' exam on extreme conditions.

Jimmers
02-14-2007, 16:26
I'm feeling jipped. After all that buildup and hype about how dangerous this storm would be, so far we have maybe 3" in Philly. Maybe. And a little crust from freezing rain. Oh, and that inch of rain after the snow ends? Yeah, the sun's peeking through the clouds now. Never happened. They closed school for this? When I was in school........:D

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2007, 18:28
There should be a portion of the drivers' exam on extreme conditions.

When I moved to Utah years ago, I had to take their driver license exam for motorcycle endorsement. One of the questions was:

While you're riding you encounter road conditions with ice and snow. You should____________

a) Reduce speed and not bank in turns...
b) Blah, blah, blah
c) Blah, blah, blah

There was no answer d) which should have been "stay the f^%& home"

woodsy
02-14-2007, 18:39
We are getting F'ing hammered:sun

Can you say BLIZZARD!
just plowed 1 foot, expecting another one overnight:eek:

smokymtnsteve
02-14-2007, 19:01
When I moved to Utah years ago, I had to take their driver license exam for motorcycle endorsement. One of the questions was:

While you're riding you encounter road conditions with ice and snow. You should____________

a) Reduce speed and not bank in turns...
b) Blah, blah, blah
c) Blah, blah, blah

There was no answer d) which should have been "stay the f^%& home"

e) use your snowmahine

(snowmachine alaska vernacular for snowmobile)

emerald
02-14-2007, 19:23
I'm feeling jipped. After all that buildup and hype about how dangerous this storm would be, so far we have maybe 3" in Philly.

About a foot in western Berks County (Reading). Lots of pile-ups due to icy conditions. I stayed home today.

mudhead
02-14-2007, 20:13
7" on the coast at 5PM. Lots of sleet pellets. Started raining heavy-around 6PM. Gonna be a mess if/when it comes off cold. Don't care for ice. Banks were closed here today, but UPS rolled. Starting to miss 84* at 4AM. Lee County, FL is a suberb of Maine after all.

REBELYELL
02-14-2007, 20:31
No need to exaggerate when ya got to look up to see the level base.The drifts are crazy high with all the wind tha came with the storm.The weather guy says the lake effect is going to start back up agian.Hoowee my back is gonna be in shape at least,with all this shoveling.Its about half agian as deep as the church pic

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2007, 21:33
We are getting F'ing hammered:sun

Can you say BLIZZARD!
just plowed 1 foot, expecting another one overnight:eek:

Yep, hammered here in NH. 2 feet of snow is too much for an SUV. Wife's Explorer is at the end of the driveway. Had to dig out a parking spot. Waiting for the guy who plows the drive(400 ft long). We have some drifts almost 4 feet deep.

superman
02-15-2007, 08:23
We didn't lose our power as we usually do. There were high winds that erased the areas that I cleared with the snow blower before dark yesterday. There is nothing out in my driveway that the snow blower can't deal with. Pat took my Blazer to work today because I have the darn good snow tires on it. When we have a good snow storm Pat says "Gee, your vehicle makes me say wow when I drive it in the snow." How can I deny her with a proclamation like that.

woodsy
02-16-2007, 09:55
Snowfall totals in the Western Mountains of Maine in the 30-40 inch range with drifts too deep to measure. Spent 3 hours digging out yesterday.
This sure puts a kink in my winter hiking for awhile. Anyone feel up to blueblazing the trail into Horns Pond on Bigelow for me? A 12 pack for your efforts?

Moxie00
02-16-2007, 10:29
Snowfall totals in the Western Mountains of Maine in the 30-40 inch range with drifts too deep to measure. Anyone feel up to blueblazing the trail into Horns Pond on Bigelow for me? A 12 pack for your efforts?
Well it's over, skiing was great last night. Saddleback and Sugarloaf got buried. Do you maintain Horn's Pond? If you do how about me putting up a sign,"LONE WOLF SHELTER"? on one of the old no longer used shelters. I'll take it down once it has been up long enough to catch his attention. :banana

woodsy
02-16-2007, 10:44
Well it's over, skiing was great last night. Saddleback and Sugarloaf got buried. Do you maintain Horn's Pond? If you do how about me putting up a sign,"LONE WOLF SHELTER"? on one of the old no longer used shelters. I'll take it down once it has been up long enough to catch his attention. :banana

No, I don't maintain Horns pond, just like to snowshoe in every winter, maybe next month when the snow has settled and temps are warmer cause it ain't fit for man, beast or Lone Wolf right now.:D

mudhead
02-28-2007, 19:11
Ready for more wind and crud? I can take it, I saw a posted road today!

Ronin
02-28-2007, 19:13
Spring is here! (?) It was 50+ degrees and sunny on the CT shoreline today. Just beautiful!

woodsy
03-06-2007, 11:38
Spring is here! (?) It was 50+ degrees and sunny on the CT shoreline today. Just beautiful!

Yup, just beautiful here too! 30-40 inches of snow everywhere, -10 F with winds howling all night and continuing @ 30 - 40 MPH. Could hardly sleep last night thinking the roof was gonna blow off the shack. Could someone turn off the high speed fans please , and turn up the heat too, guy could turn into a statue in all of 10 minutes out there:eek:

rafe
03-06-2007, 12:34
It was 3 degrees F in my part of MA this morning, with a stiff breeze blowing.

Undershaft
03-06-2007, 12:44
9 degrees F here by the Cape. A record low was set today according to the weather channel. Sustained winds around 25mph, gusts to 40mph. I'm not looking forward to work this afternoon. Bring on the spring.

superman
03-08-2007, 07:54
-15 degrees again today.

saimyoji
03-08-2007, 08:34
-15 degrees again today.

Whaddaya expect? You're living in the Fortress of Solitude, aren't ya? :D

superman
03-08-2007, 08:49

I live in a dell...not hell....that would be warm. It's going from -15 today to cold tonight with a windchill factor. Mean while I am watching the warm weather working it's way towards us. This weekend it should go into the steamy 30s and 40s. Pat from Maine and I are laying out our hiking gear to go do some hiking on the AT starting at Springer the third week in March. We've talked about her leaving me on the trail while she comes home to work. I don't know if I can turn away from all the projects that I need to finish up around here.

mudhead
03-08-2007, 09:45
It looks nice out...

moxie
03-08-2007, 09:57
Last night the sun set right behind Mt. Washington and the sky was bright red. It was just beautiful from 100 miles away. However the wind chill factor here in my part of Maine was about -40, the air temp about -18. I was thinking about how cold it must be up on Washington. The Old Phart used to work there, it must be fun to go outside to pee in weather like this. The weather service tells us it will be much colder tomorrow. Oh well, spring has to come sometime. All I know is I am going to shoot the next groundhog that sticks his head out of the snow. the basta**s lied to us Feb. 2nd.

saimyoji
03-08-2007, 10:50

I live in a dell...not hell....that would be warm. It's going from -15 today to cold tonight with a windchill factor. Mean while I am watching the warm weather working it's way towards us. This weekend it should go into the steamy 30s and 40s. Pat from Maine and I are laying out our hiking gear to go do some hiking on the AT starting at Springer the third week in March. We've talked about her leaving me on the trail while she comes home to work. I don't know if I can turn away from all the projects that I need to finish up around here.

Fortress of Solitude = Superman's secret hideout....:-?

superman
03-08-2007, 10:57
Yeah, I know. I was going for a rhyme thing (dell-hell) but it missed the mark. I'm not as clever as I sound.:datz

woodsy
03-15-2007, 15:26
We've managed to melt a foot or two of snow in recent weeks but forecasters
now say we are in for another foot or more of the white stuff this weekend.
It's not over till it's over as they say. Batten down the hatches one more time folks, this could be some wet stuff. Hiking in this area remains on the back burner for many of us.:(

mudhead
03-15-2007, 20:17
Saw a Redwing Blackbird today. I have had about enough ice...

Fill the buckets and set out the flashlight, the wind is supposed to blow!

Ronin
03-16-2007, 07:58
Shoreline CT: Got about 2 inches of snow last night and it's snowing right now. 32 degrees. It's supposed to turn into a slushy mix for the next 24 hours. You folks up north are supposed to get a lot more of the white stuff I hear.

woodsy
03-16-2007, 08:07
We're gonna get hammered again. This stuff will be wet and heavy. Like Mudhead said, get the candles out, the electric meter will likely stop spinning for awhile....good.

emerald
03-16-2007, 15:15
Batten down the hatches in Nebraska if it floats your boat! In PA we're getting some of that white stuff now and if you don't believe me, just ask saimyoji.

The people from NOAA are FOS. There's already as much on the ground as they expected by 2 A.M. tomorrow.:rolleyes: I'm thinking we could be snowed in until Spring!;)

Hi, woodsy.

saimyoji
03-16-2007, 15:18
Batten down the hatches in Nebraska if it floats your boat! In PA we're getting some of that white stuff now and if you don't believe me, just ask saimyoji.

The people from NOAA are FOS. There's already as much on the ground as they expected by 2 A.M. tomorrow.:rolleyes: I'm thinking we could be snowed in until Spring!;)

Hi, woodsy.

Well, it is winter. :rolleyes:

emerald
03-16-2007, 15:37
Well, it is winter. :rolleyes:

By the calendar, it's winter, but I want :sun to make the flowers bloom and the birds sing. Put the snow on a barge and send it to woodsy! He likes it.

emerald
03-16-2007, 15:59
Saw a Redwing Blackbird today.

Pay that one no mind. No doubt a young whipper-snapper out to try to impress the ladies. By heading NOBO when he did, he may have gotten ahead of the weather, but whether the weather now catches him is another thing altogether and he's not likely to like the answer.:D

woodsy
03-16-2007, 16:09
By the calendar, it's winter, but I want :sun to make the flowers bloom and the birds sing. Put the snow on a barge and send it to woodsy! He likes it.

I do like it! The sled just took me for a ride on the back 40, what snow we have left is hard, bring on some soft stuff. As far as spring goes, haven't heard the blat of the American Woodcock yet, it's still winter, lol.;)

TOW
03-16-2007, 16:12
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070316/ap_on_bi_ge/jetblue_cancellations&printer=1;_ylt=AuLOkW2ERxZBJshv353aRlBv24cA

moxie
03-16-2007, 16:29
I do like it! The sled just took me for a ride on the back 40, what snow we have left is hard, bring on some soft stuff. As far as spring goes, haven't heard the blat of the American Woodcock yet, it's still winter, lol.;)
The last storm the snow was so deep and so fluffy my snowmobile bogged down. The machine sank in the soft powder right up to it's windshied. When it warmed up the snow settled and I could get on top and ride but it was still pretty deep. This blizzard is supposed to be just like it except for turning to an ice storm just before it ends.\ Of course we have major flood warnings as the rivers are breaking up and ice jams are very possible. I have a huge pot of beans in the oven, the woodbox is full, Let it come. I'm just happy I don't live in a place with boring weather like San Diego. Maine is exciting,
:welcome to Maine, if you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes. It will change.

woodsy
03-16-2007, 16:38
[quote=moxie Maine is exciting,
:welcome to Maine, if you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes. It will change.[/quote]

This is accurate info, never a dull moment and always a wood box to fill.
What time them beans gonna be ready? I'll sled on over:D

strnorm
03-16-2007, 22:55
Got 14 inches of new snow today in tobyhanna, in the poconos just finished plowing , heading back to Tn. after easter:sun

moxie
03-17-2007, 10:21
This is accurate info, never a dull moment and always a wood box to fill.
What time them beans gonna be ready? I'll sled on over:D
The beans are ready and excellent. I use large soldier beans, soak them overnight, then boil the until the skins crack. Quarter two onions and put in bean pot. Next put beans over onions. Add 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of Maine maple syrup, two teaspoons ground mustard, 1/2 cup very dark molasses and a generous grating of fresh pepper. One tablespoon of seasond salt.Fill beanpot with enough boiling water to cover beans. I then add 1/4 cup olive oil and top with a half a stick of cinnamon. Bake at about 300 degrees for t least six hours. While baking check every few hours and add enough boiling water to cover the beans if necessary.

We still have our power but my generator is full of fuel and my woodbox is full. I shoveled the front porch two hours ago and new snow is so deep I can't get the door open, I measured 18 inches of fresh snow in my backyard and what is coming down is half snow, half sleet. It is below 20 degrees so I don't think it will turn to rain here. April in two weeks. Happy St. Patrick's Day

emerald
03-17-2007, 12:22
Having been raised in Pennsylvania, the Maine winters were hard on me. I was ready for crocuses if not tulips by the time the nor'easters blew in. Now I'm more interested in native woodland spring ephemerals, but I like snow too.

I remember a few of those nor'easters, what the satellite imagery looked like as the air masses circulated over the ocean to pick up more moisture repeatedly and deposit it outside my window. Add wood to the fire, you may get more snow.

WhiteBlaze.net didn't exist then. I could taunt you with links to images of bloodroots, twinleaves, trout lilies and hepaticas, but I wouldn't do that to you moxie. Nor will I taunt myself today. They'll come up by my door when they are ready.;)