PDA

View Full Version : Teach them young

mammabear
07-03-2003, 05:54
Fuzz-Buzz is 2 and 1/2. You might have seen him at the Doyle, if you left your room door hang open. He's not shy about poking his head in and checking all the gear.
I just started getting him outdoors this season. It will be quite some time before he is ready for the AT, but I would like some input from some hikers with young children.
Right now, I just take him camping...The first few times, I set the tent up and we just stayed a couple of hours. Now he is comfortable enough to spend a night in the tent.
I guess I am looking for tips on how to make the outdoors a good experience for the little guy.

mammabear

asmtroop3
07-03-2003, 06:36
Keep showin' him stuff.
Setting up tents, making fires. cookin', fishin'.
Show him the stars.
Listen to a frog or an owl at night.
After being in civilization all week, show him that where to go to hang out is not the local corner bummin' smokes. Let him know that TV and video games are still there when you return.

My son started car camping early like your boy, we now full fill my dream of doing the AT (Section Hiking).
He don't mind it being my dream. I guess his is to spend a little time with me (I hope). He's 13 now and hard to keep in the fold of family things. If it were not for Scouting, he might be through with me for a while.

I can tell you when they reach this age, pick and choose your times together and when he wants to run, give him room.

Oh yea, take nothing serious but the view from the summit.

Please make a donation the Jimmy Fund Walk for Cancer in Children (https://www.jimmyfundwalkregistration.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=22672&lis=1&supId=5741549)

Kerosene
07-03-2003, 09:39
Something that made an impression on my daughter that she still recalls ten years later as a 13-year old: Lying on the ground under the stars, closing our eyes and carefully listening to all of the sounds around us, trying to figure out what they were.

Weeknd
07-03-2003, 10:16
Mammabear,
I have a similar situation. 3 young boys and a baby girl. My oldest has been camping for about 3 years (since he was 5). The kids have actually limited my outdoor activities for a time, now I am trying to turn the tables and begin to include them so we can do more. We (me, my 7 and 5 year old) have had some very successful outings this year. The things I've learned:
--pick trails that are reasonable, but they can handle tougher terrain than you might expect but not LONGER.
--fix them a way to carry water/snack...etc
--get them a whistle one of those popular neck straps.
-put a bright (red, yellow, orange, white) shirt on them so they are easy to spot.
--have reasonable expectations of what they can help with in camp, they want to help, get them too.
--don't worry about the getting dirty, wash their hands before a meal and you are ok.
--bring food they will eat and that is easy and fun (hotdogs, foil meal, chicken kabobs (popcorn chicken on a stick). LOTS of SNACKS--they need energy. "Save the nutritional food and clean your plate stuff for home" (Credit Dr. Bob's scouting website, don't know the URL).
--have fun and try not to get too upset about their (and my) mistakes.
---oh and teach them what poison ivy/oak looks like (my five year old can ID it much of the time) and that it itches bad.

I want to try my 7 year old on some backpacking (overnight) this fall or spring. I would love tips on that from any who have experience. My boys love it when I spend time with them outdoors. I think that this is the key...time with our kids and they will develop a love for the outdoors.

TedB
07-03-2003, 11:14
You might be interested in:
http://www.backpacking.net/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=kids

It is a relatively new forum(topic) there, but there are some interesting posts.

DebW
07-03-2003, 13:50
I've raised 2 kids and have a 50% record on getting them to like hiking and backpacking. My 18 year old daughter is now section hiking the AT with me. My 15 year old son hates hiking. When he was 8, I bet him that by the time he was 15 he'd like hiking. I lost $50 this year. So I guess the child's temperament as well as the parent's persistence and patience are important factors. Good luck to all of you with small children.