PDA

View Full Version : Question for NE maintainers

Old Hillwalker
01-16-2007, 22:39
This might be a good question for Weary to address.

In order of rot resistance, what species of tree do you prefer for use as puncheon or bog bridge logs?

What technique do you recommend for debarking Spruce logs cut in the fall or winter when the cambium is dry? I have been using a draw knife with very frequent whet stone touch up and it takes a very long time. A bark spud just doesn't work well at all.

Thanks, HW

weary
01-17-2007, 00:04
This might be a good question for Weary to address.
In order of rot resistance, what species of tree do you prefer for use as puncheon or bog bridge logs?
What technique do you recommend for debarking Spruce logs cut in the fall or winter when the cambium is dry? I have been using a draw knife with very frequent whet stone touch up and it takes a very long time. A bark spud just doesn't work well at all.
Thanks, HW
Cedar is rot resistant, but very rarely is found in sufficient quantities within a reasonable distance from the trail, so most of us make do with spruce.

Our general rule is not to cut logs in the summer, fall or winter when the Cambium is dry. since removing the bark is so difficult. Just cut the trees in the spring or early summer -- through June at the latest -- and remove the bark as quickly thereafter as possible.

In areas within reach of a vehicle, I now use rough-sawn milled lumber. It's faster -- and cheaper when one figures in the broken chains, and extra labor. Three by eight inches by 12 feet is a convenient size, providing a motor vehicle can get it within a quarter mile of the site.

Weary

Old Hillwalker
01-17-2007, 08:56
Thanks Weary,

Any comments about using Oak. In my area of concern there are lots of 12-16 inch Red Oaks and very few softwoods other than White Pine which I have assumed is not very rot resistant.

I agree with the season in which to fell, split, and debark but I tend to do this stuff year round.

PS I had the delight of meeting your sister and her husband at the Billville Trashgiving in Glencliff this fall. Very nice couple!

Regards, HW

WalkinHome
01-17-2007, 20:59
We did a bunch over by West Carry late July and early August and the Cedar (might have been white) peeled pretty good but it had mucho moisture in it.

weary
01-18-2007, 00:59
,,,Any comments about using Oak. In my area of concern there are lots of 12-16 inch Red Oaks and very few softwoods other than White Pine which I have assumed is not very rot resistant......
I've never used red oak, but I suspect it would be ideal for bog bridges and such -- though the stuff is god awful heavy and once it's dry it's almost impossible to get a spike into it without predrilling the hole.