PDA

View Full Version : Benton Mackaye Trail?

stuco
01-16-2007, 23:41
Anyone hiked the BMT?

My sis and I are thinking of doing it this summer as a sort of warm up for a thru AT Hike.

For those who have hiked it, What are your views on this trail?

Thanks

Hikerhead
01-16-2007, 23:58
I've done the southern 200. It's a nice trail. You won't see many people. You might wonder where the trail went a few times. You won't see but two shelters for 300 miles, well four if you include Springer and Stover Creek which are close to the BMT in Ga. Excellent warm up for the AT, harder than the ga AT IMHO. It goes thru some beatiful areas and the little amount of road walking was fun in it's own way. Get the maps and have a great time.

little bear
01-17-2007, 00:34
Hey Almost There and I are thinking about hitting that trail this summer and thru hiking it. When are you thinking about doing it?

LB

eventidecu
01-17-2007, 06:17
Be sure and take a map and compass. Trail is hard to follow in some places. In the Joyce Kilmer area there were lots of blowdowns and I was literly guessing where the trail was. Alot of trail crossings so watch your trail sign numbers. Also ALOT of bear sign and one confrontation.

Hammock Hanger
01-17-2007, 09:14
Be sure and take a map and compass. Trail is hard to follow in some places. In the Joyce Kilmer area there were lots of blowdowns and I was literly guessing where the trail was. Alot of trail crossings so watch your trail sign numbers. Also ALOT of bear sign and one confrontation.

Due to the fact that it is a "wilderness area" the blazes are more spread out then most hikers are use to. Once in Joyce Kilmore look on the sign post for the #2 trail or an engraved diamond. The National Geographic Map is a big help. If you are buying one make sure you get the NEW edition that has the BMT highlighted.

Not a lot of views but some really pretty forests.

A couple of nice places to eat along the way.

Tipi Walter
01-17-2007, 09:57
I can't speak about alot of the BMT but the section I know(from Reliance north to the Smokies)is fairly remote and offers some great backpacking and camping. At Unicoi Gap north of Hiway 68 there are remnants of the old Trail of Tears and I always feel something powerful there. Past Unicoi Gap at Six Mile Gap there is a short sidetrail to the left which goes to the top of Waucheesi Mt where there are some great views. I camped right at Six Mile Gap once and did this little blue blaze to check out the views.

Past the Tellico River section and up the old Sycamore Trail you'll reach Whiggs Meadow to the left of the BMT about 100 yards and if you want a view, this is the place to get it. I've camped numerous nights on the Whigg both in the snow and in the summer heat and it's a great open meadow with a pond below it to the right of the bald which is fed by a good water spring. Me and my dog have submerged into this pond . . . on hot summer days.

Past the Whigg and Mud Gap there is the wide open Rock Quarry section which offers some limited views and flat camping sites. But if you really want A View you could blue blaze away from the BMT near Cherry Log Gap on the old Fodderstack trail and climb up to Bob Stratton Bald(on trail # 54A) and spent a couple of days hiking and camping to the Hangover where there is an awesome overlook.

stuco
01-17-2007, 13:31
Hey Almost There and I are thinking about hitting that trail this summer and thru hiking it. When are you thinking about doing it?

LB

We are not quite sure, but possibly Early May. But it is still up in the air.

This may be a stupid question, but how much of the trail is actually completed? I've read several conflicting quotes. One said 90 miles is complete one said just over 200 miles and the other said that the full 273 miles was complete. I'm confused. Where exactly does the trail end? (coming from Springer mt)

Sly
01-17-2007, 13:37
As far as I know the trail is complete. It ends at Davenport Gap.

www.bmta.org

There's also a BMT forum here on WB....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=415

jlb2012
01-17-2007, 13:40
As far as I know the trail is complete. It ends at Davenport Gap.

www.bmta.org

There's also a BMT forum here on WB....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=415

note the BMT forum requires you to join the Other Long Trails group before you can see it and before that link above is usable

stuco
01-17-2007, 13:51
I guess I'll have to sign up for that part of the forums. I don't get it, why are they not included?

Sly
01-17-2007, 14:02
I guess I'll have to sign up for that part of the forums. I don't get it, why are they not included?

Whiteblaze is a site devoted to the AT. The other trail forums were added as a courtesy but are optional as to not clutter the thread page unless you're "subscribed".

stuco
01-17-2007, 14:10
makes sense I suppose. There are a lot of forums on this site anyways. Thanks for all the help guys.

MOWGLI
03-11-2007, 21:41
I did a 17 mile segment of the BMT yesterday - from US64 to the Hiwassee River. It was a great hike! That makes nearly 140 miles of the BMT for me. My next hike will be from the Hiwasse River north to TN Hwy 68. That's about 15.6 miles and requires a car shuttle or key swap. Anyone interested? I want to bang out a few day hikes and then do a few weekend trips to complete the trail in '07.

Check out my trip report here - http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/046131.html