PDA

View Full Version : CT AT Hike

Angryduck
01-17-2007, 09:34
Howdy all,

So, my 300lb butt is planning on hiking the CT section from start to finish sometime in early September and was wondering what the average time is for this? Obviously, if it is about 50 miles and I go at a slow pace (I am a big girl) I will be looking for 8-10 miles a day to start with so I was figuring about 5-6 days..how accurate might this be?

I was wondering if anyone who had done this had any advice on terrain, issues encountered, great views etc.

I have been having tough luck finding detailed info on this section and am uber excited as I start planning. :)

Thanks all!

Kelly

rafe
01-17-2007, 09:44
There's some variation in terrain but none of it is terribly difficult by AT standards. There's a long easy river walk north of Kent. Lots of 500-700' rises and descents, a few long, graded meadow walks. 8-10 miles per day should not be too difficult. Make time to enjoy Sage's Ravine (at the CT-MA border.) It's quite beautiful.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 09:53
8-10 miles per day will be tough for someone 300+ lbs.

MOWGLI
01-17-2007, 10:06
:welcome Kelly. I admire your goal! If I was in your shoes, I would look to drop a bit of weight, limit what you carry on your back to less than 25 pounds, and strengthen your knees before attempting 8-10 miles per day on the AT.

The AT is not terribly difficult in CT, but it would be a real strain on your knees with a heavy pack and without some serious conditioning.

Good luck! Please let us know how you do.

Kevin A. Boyce
01-17-2007, 11:28
Welcome to WB!!!

As for your questions... I expect that you will be doing a fair amount of hiking before you do this section hike? That will give you an idea of how strong and how many miles you can do.

That being said... The terrain is not terribly difficult, there are quite a few ups and downs at both the northern and southern ends, a bit in the middle... But then there are some very flat sections as well, like River Road just outside of Kent, and along rt 7 outside of Falls Village.

There are many camping locales in between the shelters so you can make this hike almost as long or short as you want to space your days out to enjoy yourself. If you feel strong enough to walk a 10 mile day, cool! If you are tired the next day and hike 5 miles, cool too! There are plenty of spots to relax, catch yourself and enjoy the experience. Don't make it a race too much, enjoy your hike, that is the best thing about hiking, generally you follow your own clock...

If you don't have the maps, take a look at them, take a look through the ALDHA book or WF's book... Plenty of info right here on WB as well.

This is a great stretch of the AT to get your feet wet... Some great views and some fun terrain that will make you appreciate the effort you put in to it.

QHShowoman
01-17-2007, 12:31
I say go for it! I think a "fit" hiker can easily do this section in 4-6 days time, so doubling that estimate will give you plenty of time to complete your hike. If you aren't planning on working yourself up to this hike, I'd allow at least 10-12 days for it, so you can slow down, if necessary. CT is a fairly easy state, terrain-wise, and really, there's no pressure to finish in X amount of days. Just take it nice and slowly and see how far you can go!

Angryduck
01-17-2007, 13:55
Thanks for the good advice. I do want to say that I hike often and have completed all but 2 of the CT Blue Blaze trails (I just finished the Trap Rock Ridge area).

I am training for rugby and play paintball often so condition wise, I am doing pretty good. I plan on working up to the hike by some day hikes such as Sleeping Giant, Bish Bash Falls, Bear Mt., Mt. Frissal and Avon this summer.

I have never actually done an overnight before so am uber excited! I do appreciate everyones assistance and welcome any advice!

Thanks again,

Kelly :)

vipahman
01-17-2007, 14:28
I have never actually done an overnight before so am uber excited! I do appreciate everyones assistance and welcome any advice!
Kelly, since you've never done an overnight, you might want to do one before attempting 5-6 days in CT. You know your limits but a 5-6 day hike can be a lot for someone who has never done one. My own personal record is 4 days.

In the context of your weight, you need to calculate the weight of your daily food requirements multiplied by the number of days and see if that number is feasible.

Happy hiking!

Ender
01-17-2007, 15:07
Kelly,

First, congrats on setting your goal! It's a beautiful section of trail. You'll love it.

Now, the hiking... I've hiked the CT portion of the AT something like 10 times now, and it's never been as easy as I imagined it should be. In parts, the elevations aren't high, but the grades are often steep, and there's much in the way of elevation change. It's kinda like walking on a zipper... up, down, up, down... Still though, these are often rewarded with nice views. The river walk is a nice treat... flat, gorgeous, serene. You'll love it.

8-10 miles at 300+ lbs will be tough, but it's possible. I'd say though, so you enjoy your trip, plan for less mileage. If you do more than than, great, if not, you're already prepared. Also, carry as little weight as possible, while still carrying all the necessary gear to keep you safe.

Anyway, have fun!

LIhikers
01-18-2007, 16:35
Let me suggest you make a point to visit Limestone Springs shelter either as a lunch break or to spend the night. It's maybe the most beautiful part of the AT as it goes through CT. It's about a half mile on a blue blaze trail that is down hill most of the way but is so worth the effort. What ever you do just enjoy yourself.

rafe
01-18-2007, 16:44
Let me suggest you make a point to visit Limestone Springs shelter either as a lunch break or to spend the night. It's maybe the most beautiful part of the AT as it goes through CT. It's about a half mile on a blue blaze trail that is down hill most of the way but is so worth the effort. What ever you do just enjoy yourself.

It's a nice spot but a long way down and back up. I'm guessing at least 300' vertically below the trail, and about 1/3 mile along the blue blaze (at least.) Nice shelter and a great spring.

Askus3
01-18-2007, 21:53
I am dayhiking the AT southbound and have posted my reports on the AT from Race Brook thru Cornwall Bridge (CT AT I, CT AT II & CT AT III). Elevations, times and links to photo logs are all included. Check it out. You might find something useful there. Link is:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=401. You also can find my reportsby going to Member Forums & Trip Reports and looking at the sub-forum "askus3". Happy reading.