PDA

View Full Version : Calisthenic type exercises.

MisterSweetie
01-17-2007, 09:51
I'm looking for some exercises I can do that require only what I always have handy (my body). Push-ups, crunches, calf raises, etc. I have a (second) job where I go for minutes waiting until I'll be busy again, and would like to know what exercises I can do there on the floor while I wait. So far I have these:

Push-up
Lunge
Squat (although my knees crack too much for this, I think)
Calf raises
Crunches
Leg lifts (lay flat, raise legs 6" off floor and hold)

What else could you add? These don't have to be "hiking specific" but they are certianly applicable. In addition to muscle building, I'd like some muscle lengthening exercises too. Stretching, gaining flexibility.

There is a type of pushup and squat named for some guy... Really famous for this type workout, and I can't remember his name. That's not much to go on, but if you know, you'll know who I'm talking about. If I could just find that, then I'm sure I could get tons of ideas on his site. (It's not Chuck Norris.)

So, please help me!
Thanks!!

Touch of Grey
01-17-2007, 10:20
Resistance training exercises can be done alone or with someone.

Calf raises something heavy on the tops of your legs while sitting and lift with your feet keeping toes on the floor. Putting various body parts against something that will give resistance (door jambs, desks) and exerting a force with that body part. For instance, neck strengthening, while sitting put your headd under the desk and raise your head slowly until you feel resistance and hold for a count of whatever you want (I would recommend not more than a 10 count). Same thing could be done with your back muscles which are just as important as your stomach (abs) and your lateral obliques for core strength.

More important though might be an idea to take a look at some stretching exercises that can be fairly quickly. There are several very good books about stretching out there. Having mobility and a greater range of motion from stretching can and does help with mitigating injuries in everyday life.

TOG

rgarling
01-17-2007, 11:15
look into the Intuflow program. RMAX -- Scott Sonnon

Bravo
01-17-2007, 11:42
mattfurey.com

Combat Conditioning

Really great exercises. I do 3-5 exercises a day for about 15 minutes and I'm in better shape than when I would spend an hour everyday in the gym.

Froggy
01-17-2007, 12:13
Include some stretching, too.

Some basic yoga will be beneficial. Sun Salutations fit right in and are a good starting point.

But definitely, stretch. Touch of Gray had the right idea.

Froggy

K0OPG
01-17-2007, 14:00
mountain climbers, bend and thrust, leg-lifts, trunk twisters, part of the Marine Corps daily seven. You mentioned the other three (situps, pushups, and jumping jacks).

If you want detailed instructions (I tried to find some links...maybe someone else can) pm me and I will detail them for you.

Kerosene
01-17-2007, 14:24
I have weak ankles that can inflict Achilles tendonitis, so every time I'm standing around (in line or even brushing my teeth) I try to inconspicuously stand on one leg. Around the house I will do toe-ups on the stairs and walk on my heels with my toes scrunched up. I also stand on one leg for several minutes with my eyes closed, which torques up the intensity a whole bunch. Stronger ankles translate to fewer ankle sprains, something that I've come close to several times while backpacking.

Buckles
01-17-2007, 14:34
Hindu squats and Hindu pushups. Pilates for core strengh.