PDA

View Full Version : Billville Winter Warmer - Duncannon, PA - February 23-25th

chomp
01-17-2007, 12:26
Happy New Year!

I would like to announce the Fourth Annual Billville Winter Warmer! This year, the Winter Warmer will be held on February 23rd, 24th and 25th at the historic Doyle Hotel! (http://doylehotel.com) (http://doylehotel.com/)

Q: What is a 'Winter Warmer"?

A: The Billville Winter Warmer is just an excuse to get together and hang out with friends who love the AT and hiking. It is rather loosely sponsored by Billville (a sub-group of AT hikers and trail angels) but all are welcome. There may be a planned work trip to the Ironmasters Hostel, but that has yet to be determined.

Other than that, there are no planned events other than socializing in the bar on Friday and Saturday night. Options for the weekend are numerous, however, with many hiking options in the area. Also, three years ago, several Billvillians took a tour of Gettysburg. If you have never been there, I highly suggest making the trip. Do so with Jester and/or Baltimore Jack if you can!

In the past, if the conditions are not too bad, we have organized shelter-cleaning hikes. This is just a short hike into a shelter to look around and clean up whatever might need cleaning. This would be a good alternative to the Ironmasters work trip for those looking to do something different.

Q: Where is the Winter Warmer?

A: The Warmer will once again be held at the Doyle Hotel and Bar in downtown Duncannon, PA. There are several rooms available, and the quiet hours start at 2 am. If this is too much, there is a campground just down the street, or the truck stop just outside of town. Last year, we had everyone stay in the Doyle, and it should be that way this year as well, especially if you dont mind curling up on a piece of floor.

The Doyle is kind enough to host this event and they have treated us very well in the past. Pat and Vickey are excellent hosts - and we are lucky to have a great, friendly place like the Doyle to gather. We are welcome to socialize in the main bar, which usually has live entertainment, but we also have access to the upstairs bar if anyone wants to organize some sort of event.

Q: What do I bring to the Warmer?

A: First, bring yourself! Bring your hiking gear and be prepared for snowy and icy conditions. Bring your mountain bike, just in case. I'll be bringing mine (and yes, it has studs for ice riding). Bring any photo albums that you would like to share. Got some hiking videos? Bring your DVD's. I have a portable DVD player and the Doyle has a very large TV in the upstairs bar. If you are a future AT hiker, bring your questions. If you are a past AT hiker, bring your answers.

We would like to invite any hikers that are heading down to Springer to stop in at the Doyle on your way south. What a better way to start your AT hike than to hit one of the famous places on the trail and chew the fat with some like-minded people?

Q: Anything else I should know about the Warmer?

A: Well, as always, Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited. Also, if you are planning to attend, please let me know as soon as possible. I spoke with Pat and we have beds for about 12 people right now. There is space at the hotel for more, so please let me know if you plan on attending and what night(s) you will be staying over. If you don't want to plan ahead, and if you don't mind floor space, you can always crash in somone's room for $5/night.

If you would like more information, or you would like to confirm your attendance, you can post a reply here or send me a Private Message. I hope to see many of you at the Fourth Annual Billville Winter Warmer!

chomp

the goat
01-17-2007, 13:02
wouldn't miss it, dude!

lookin' forward to hanging out w/ ya'll again!

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 13:17
Beware of the pocheen. It wiil make an ass out of you.:eek:

Fannypack
01-17-2007, 13:20
or the truck stop just outside of town
does the truckstop still have rooms? NO (Is this correct?) according to the Companion, ( the StarDust Motel is 2 mi from truckstop), see below:

U.S. 11/Duncannon, Pa. [P.O. ZIP 17020: M–F 8–4:30, Sa 8–12; (717) 834-3332]—The A.T. passes through the center of town,
and all services are within a short walk.

Camping:

Riverfront Campground (south of the Clarks Ferry Bridge), (717) 834-5252,
tentsites and shower $3.50PP in designated hiker area, shuttle service, canoe and kayak rentals.

Lodging:
--Doyle Hotel, (717) 834-6789, one of the original Anheuser-Busch hotels, nearly 100 years old, $17.50S, $25D, $30T, laundry, Internet access $4/hour,
will hold mail drops sent to 7–9 North Market St., Duncannon, PA 17020, free shuttles to Mutzabaugh’s, other shuttles available.
--On U.S. 11/15, 2 miles north of the truck stop, Stardust Motel, (717) 834-3191, Su–Th $35S, F–Sa $42S, $5EAP,
laundry, free shuttles to and from town.
--On U.S. 322, east 1 mile downstream to Le Ellen Motel, (717) 921-8715, $30S, $10 EAP, no pets, no phone.

Groceries:
0.5 mile west of town on Pa. 274, Mutzabaugh Market and pharmacy (long-term resupply), open daily;
Uni-Mart Convenience Store (short-term resupply).

Restaurants:
All-American Truck Stop, B/L/D with AYCE buffet;
Doyle Hotel, L/D; Goodie’s Café, B/L M–F, B Sa–Su;
The Pub, L/D;
Riviera Tavern, L/D;
Sorrento’s Pizza and Subs, L/D;
Zeiderelli’s Pizza, L/D.

Other services:
All-American Truck Plaza (short-term resupply), $8 shower, ATM; laundry; banks with ATM;
Maguire Hardware with Coleman fuel, 85¢ for a 22-ounce fill-up, closed Su; doctor;
dentist; bank; veterinarian.
Mary Parry, (717) 343-1317, can answer questions about services in Duncannon.

chomp
01-17-2007, 13:22
Thanks for the post, Fannypack. I haven't checked the status of the truck stop in a while.

RiverWarriorPJ
01-17-2007, 13:45
The Doyles webSite sez they're "petFriendly"..!!..wOw...we'll be there...

Blister
01-17-2007, 13:56
I'm gonna try to make. Still gettin on my feet, the lame winter up here in New Hampshire isn't exactly filling the pockets of the hospitality workers in the area. Anyways I have just handed in my requested dates off for events I have to attend for ALDHA as a board member through October and they wern't exactly happy. The good news is that I should be getting a couple of checks from Backpacker and possibly another assignment which will help the slow cash flow. If I can scrape it together I WILL BE THERE!

WalkinHome
01-17-2007, 20:44
Hi Chomp, put me down for Friday night and Saturday night. Maybe VSA can bring the pictures we discussed and we can go over them for Teens To Trails. UMMMMMMM I can taste them fries already!!!!! Ling Lager please.

Can I bring my drum???

Ridge Rat
01-17-2007, 21:21
Whats with the mt. bikes?? If I decided to come could I bring a cyclo-cross bike... its the closest thing I have... Have the metal stud tired though?? Cycling is for cities... hiking is for the hills... sure beats taking the bus.

A-Train
01-18-2007, 00:19
Count me in too! Definately for saturday night, hopefully for friday too. Will let you know soon.

Wonder
01-18-2007, 10:27
Don't it figure.....the winter warmer is over my birthday and I"m gonna miss it! Oh, well.....I'll wrangle some hikers around franklin to go throw back some birthday beers with me!

TOW
01-18-2007, 10:40
I think I am going to try to make this event...........

Lone Wolf
01-18-2007, 10:46
I think I am going to try to make this event...........

how you gonna get there?

bfitz
01-18-2007, 13:49
Beware of the pocheen. It wiil make an ass out of you.:eek:
An ass out of u and me. :p

(Don't believe the hype LW you were almost as much fun that night as you were joke night at the ruck.... Just remember to bring your walker or at least some leki poles so you don't hurt yourself.)

Jester2000
01-18-2007, 18:26
Ahhh, the warmer. I'll be there. Oh, and don't forget the bad hiking poetry contest!

gypsy
01-18-2007, 18:39
I think I might even attend this one... maybe:-?

Fannypack
01-18-2007, 19:40
I think I might even attend this one... maybe:-?
does this mean that LW will be on his BEST behavior? If yes, i like that, cause then he will be able to take all the "marine jokes..."

bobsectionhikes2006
01-19-2007, 11:58
Do I need to call the Doyle to make a reservation?...looking forward to going!

JB
Bob Davies
Tuxedo, N.Y>

RedneckRye
01-19-2007, 22:10
I'm in.

Did you know that a post has to be at least 10 characters long, or you can't post it? I didn't until just now.

Lone Wolf
01-19-2007, 22:21
I'm in.

Did you know that a post has to be at least 10 characters long, or you can't post it? I didn't until just now.

yu gonna cut your mop again.:)

RedneckRye
01-20-2007, 02:09
Nope, it is just getting back to looking shaggy and unkempt.
But, if Jester is giving out mohawks........

trailangelmary
01-20-2007, 05:47
Thanks for the dates Chomp. Hopefully it will all work out that I will be off Saturday. I may even try to swing Friday night this year.
However, for sure, I will do the Sunday morning breakfast/brunch at my apartment.
Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Jester2000
01-20-2007, 19:42
Bill's Buzz Cuts and Tractor Supply will be open for business! Also, the last of the original Billville T-Shirts will be on sale.

Currently at the Doyle, doing recon. I'm gettin' short, man. Why's sarge always put ME on point?

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2007, 19:46
Sure, I've heard THAT one before, Mary. We all know it'll be ME that ends up making breakfast! You can supervise. :D

Jester2000
01-20-2007, 20:02
Sure, I've heard THAT one before, Mary. We all know it'll be ME that ends up making breakfast! You can supervise. :D

Jack's secret to the tasty potatoes is not washing his hands.

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2007, 20:03
Geez, if that worries you, you better leave the room when I do the eggs!!

Jester2000
01-20-2007, 20:05
The secret to the eggs is love. But not a lot of love, or they taste too salty.

Blister
01-22-2007, 15:34
That just ruined my appetite

TOW
01-22-2007, 15:41
how you gonna get there?you bro..............

chomp
01-23-2007, 10:10
No need for reservations. Its a first-come, first served kinda place. We found room for everyone last year - even if it included floor space. So bring a sleeping pad just in case!

RedneckRye
01-23-2007, 13:22
No need for reservations. Its a first-come, first served kinda place. We found room for everyone last year - even if it included floor space. So bring a sleeping pad just in case!

Good to see that you survived sunday. I'll bring some Sliders.

Newb
01-23-2007, 13:36
As the winner of last years bad hiking poetry contest I feel I must appear to defend my title. Count me in for Saturday, and 80 percent for Friday (probably arriving mid-evening).

Wonder
01-23-2007, 23:19
Bill's Buzz Cuts and Tractor Supply will be open for business! Also, the last of the original Billville T-Shirts will be on sale.

Currently at the Doyle, doing recon. I'm gettin' short, man. Why's sarge always put ME on point?

I'll but a shirt....if y'all sign it and send it to me at cloud 9......that would be an awsome birthday present (hint,hint):D

RedneckRye
01-23-2007, 23:52
I'll but a shirt....if y'all sign it and send it to me at cloud 9......that would be an awsome birthday present (hint,hint):D

You do realize that there will probably be several strange stains along with any signatures?
Are you sure you want that?

bfitz
01-24-2007, 00:32
We're gonna need a pretty big shirt.

Wonder
01-24-2007, 02:09
You do realize that there will probably be several strange stains along with any signatures?
Are you sure you want that?

Well.....since you put it that way:(
No, really. The only real downside to when I'm leaving for the trail this year is missing out on a Billvilley good time!
If it wasen't for billville, I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun this past off-hike season
Of course, I probably wouldn't have this funny rash either...:confused:

TOW
01-24-2007, 18:09
Anyone going to this thing that will be driving near Damascus and don't mind dropping in and picking me up and then returning me here?

StarLyte
01-29-2007, 14:28
Thanks for the dates Chomp. Hopefully it will all work out that I will be off Saturday. I may even try to swing Friday night this year.
However, for sure, I will do the Sunday morning breakfast/brunch at my apartment.
Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Mary,
I'll bring many things......mainly love.

mweinstone
01-29-2007, 17:14
id like to do a little reunion.room 23. floor. its the first night i ever slept with a man. yeah,.. his name was johnny walker black.woke up and made coffie in the parking lot and split for pipestem wva and the windy gathering.

little did i know the moonshine wasnt water there.someone passes a mason jar of clear liquid? i assume water. good stuff!

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 17:25
tennessee spring water

LupeLeah
02-01-2007, 10:10
I haven't seen many posts here on the original subject. Is it still on? What do we need to bring?

mweinstone
02-01-2007, 18:27
bring money.bring humor. bring the will to go to ironmasters and do work. bring foam. bring camera. bring toothbrush. bring appitite. bring breakfast foods. bring me. i need a ride.

MarcnNJ
02-01-2007, 18:40
I am going and passing through Philly, Matthewski.....I can probably get you out there....

I emailed Jukebox (nobo 06), and she will be attending as well...

trailangelmary
02-02-2007, 05:04
Catch-up and Jukebox coming ... awesome!

trailangelmary
02-02-2007, 05:08
Despite Jack's well intentions and desire to trash my kitchen once again (HA-Ha!!) I do not have a pool tournament this year. I will be in my kitchen!!! Planning the awesome breakfast in my head as I type. I have some new ideas that I hope will be a success. One is inspired by a friend of mine combined with what I know BJ loves. I think I will call it The real men's Baltimore Jack Potatoes!!! Yes, Jack, you can stir!!

trailangelmary
02-02-2007, 05:10
More importantly, I want to go to Pine Grove this year but have to work Friday night so can some Billville member please let me know departure time from Duncannon or better yet come get me up a half hour before you leave.

mweinstone
02-02-2007, 09:26
membr when i came up to you at paruck and thaught you were the other trail angle mary? thats allways a hoot when someone you dont know and have never met starts hugging you and recounting the good times we didnt have. hope to make some real memories with ya. im a master kitchen helper and i wanna help by being your auto cleaner. ill dance around you keeping everything you need at your fingertips if you like. you say the word and ill turn myself into a dishwasher or a chopper or maby you just need someone to slice whole pigs.im a third degree bacon belt. i studyed under miss janet at the noc 500 nationals this year. we took first place in the bacon competition. i also have a small pinnaple problem and my desend on you with 5 or 6.mary, anything at all you need, 215 668 0898.

Blister
02-02-2007, 16:25
Hey all, I am getting homesick for all your faces just reading the posts
:mad:
Unfortunately I will not be able to make it. Spent the day today looking for yet another job to add to the ones I already have bartender, waitress, free lance writer and ??????
New Hampshire's ski season is barley existent so therefore so is the money. Hope all have a good time do I even have to ask to be included in the drunken phone calls?

Blister
02-02-2007, 16:34
By the way I got a wonderful phone call this afternoon from the on and only original Bill: Mad Hatter, evidently he ran into 30 seconds in South Carolina at a party recently. I guess all are doing well and still alive.

RedneckRye
02-04-2007, 00:47
Looks like I'm bringing LunchBox and Trips, both '06, both whom I work with now at my thru-hiker job supply company.

trailangelmary
02-05-2007, 04:31
Looks like I'm bringing LunchBox and Trips, both '06, both whom I work with now at my thru-hiker job supply company.
AWESOME!!!!

WandererKMK
02-05-2007, 17:07
I am coming from the DC area - new to this community so i don't really know anyone but I would offer a ride if anyone needs.

Wolf - 23000
02-05-2007, 18:01
Who is coming??? I would love to come and my 1SG seems cool with it but it is a long drive just for a weekend. It would be great if we had a good turn out and but who is all that are coming?

Wolf

Fannypack
02-05-2007, 18:13
Who is coming??? I would love to come and my 1SG seems cool with it but it is a long drive just for a weekend. It would be great if we had a good turn out and but who is all that are coming?

Wolf
Waynesboro, PA to Duncannon,PA is only 78.5 miles, right?

A-Train
02-05-2007, 19:44
I/ll be coming from New Orleans, either via Chicago/Cinci or Atlanta/Charlotte, so I may be able to do some transporting. So let me know if you need a ride..

Wolf - 23000
02-06-2007, 14:03
Waynesboro, PA to Duncannon,PA is only 78.5 miles, right?u

I moved down to FT Knox, KY. It's a distance.

Wolf

Sly
02-06-2007, 14:06
I/ll be coming from New Orleans, either via Chicago/Cinci or Atlanta/Charlotte, so I may be able to do some transporting. So let me know if you need a ride..

If you come through Atlanta, I'll hook up with you to share in gas and driving.

StarLyte
02-06-2007, 14:53
Geez, if that worries you, you better leave the room when I do the eggs!!

At the Gathering, I mentioned to a certain Billvillian to come down to the main bldg. and get a fried bologna sandwich, that Jack and I were getting ready to fry them up.

The certain Billvillian said to me......"I don't eat anything that Tarlin cooks. He doesn't wash his hands."

So, I went down to the kitchen and I said "Jack, let's get going on cooking the bologna, we have a LOT to fry up."

Jack says...."okay, hold on a minute while I wash my hands......" :D

MarcnNJ
02-10-2007, 18:07
Just found out Ill be picking up Carnivore & Bud (06) who are flying in from the midwest just to put some back at the Doyle....now thats determination!

Carnivore
02-11-2007, 00:41
Mark it down

Lemur
02-13-2007, 17:54
I'll be there too. So long as Stonewall comes through on the ride he offered me at the PA Ruck.

-Laces

Stonewall
02-14-2007, 21:28
Hey there you are:D!!! Yeah I'm still headed up PM me w/ your info and we will figure so we can get a game plan :p

mweinstone
02-15-2007, 20:08
me and panzer will bring tools for the ironmasters if we wanna do work. donnas makin a list. i really do want room 23.

mweinstone
02-15-2007, 20:12
From: "Ironmaster's Mansion Hostel" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: [email protected]
Subject: billsville winter warmer
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:29:28 -0500
Hallo Matthewski---

About those Patagonia gloves .....not yet found.

About the singing message..........thank you, thank you.

About Billsville Winter Warmer excursion..........Great
to have you and Panzer volunteer to arrive fully equipped.
I can't come up with major repairs at the moment, but the minor tasks are plentiful.

In the plans are:

Cleaning out almost all of the overhead light fixtures, and replacing bulbs as needed. This includes front walkway
fixtures.

In the cellar: replacing fluorescent bulbs in the fixture over the washer-dryer.
Also, simplify the maze of extension cords and
overhead lighting fixtures in the cellar.

There are two table lamps that need replacement wiring
including bulb socket and switch.

For all of the above, I'll purchase the bulbs and kits.

Dirty jobs: cellar needs to be swept out.
A LOT OF STUFF HAS TO BE THROWN
OUT - JUNKY STUFF FROM CLOSETS
AND CUPBOARDS.

For the above jobs, beside small tools for the re-wiring, the most important items needed would be :

Ladders. We have ONE six -foot ladder. If
either you or Panzer have another one, or,
preferably, an eight-foot ladder (folding type),
the job would be much easier.

A Radio-Wagon. Yes, that's little red Radio-Wagon,
for carting junky items to the dumpster. Both
ladder(s) and wagon would go home at the end of
the day.

Also, a few hammers for working on metal beds. We have ONE hammer. Ha.

Small patch of paint on kitchen ceiling is peeling. Has to be scraped and re-painted. Big ladder useful.

Other jobs nobody likes to do: washing woodwork. washing baseboards. Cleaning upstairs windows.

Love ya,

Donna

mweinstone
02-15-2007, 20:15
Dear Matthewski,

clarificarion: The cellar overhead "wiring" is simply
a lot of extension cords, and fixtures
that could be simplified. Park mgmt.
request.

Also, upstairs windows only have to be
cleaned on the INSIDE.

One toilet seat has to be replaced. Need tools.

Regards,
Donna

MarcnNJ
02-16-2007, 15:16
Word is that Pillbox from 06 will also now be attending.....and she is bringing her mother.....so behave everyone....

I hope the Doyle has an extra bottle of Wild Turkey 101.....

mweinstone
02-17-2007, 13:05
i got your extry bottles here. whos bringin a toilet seat?

StarLyte
02-17-2007, 13:24
Word is that Pillbox from 06 will also now be attending.....and she is bringing her mother.....so behave everyone....

I hope the Doyle has an extra bottle of Wild Turkey 101.....

ummm better leave mom at home. We'll webcast. :D

Wonder
02-17-2007, 15:01
Gonna miss you all! I'll give a ring from the Budget!

mweinstone
02-17-2007, 16:49
wondrosity! helo wonder whos hiking witch is the only acceptable excuse for not billvilling.high crutch! hike on brother and sister. high laura, high teama. warming without you in pa. panzer you got that rainx on the truck? cause theres gonna be an inspection. i will require the rear sofa if someones comming with. i will be stopping to pee twice. i require coffie within 15 minutes of departure and i will require a canoli and my own calzone. vegetarien.

Jester2000
02-17-2007, 21:38
You want a calzone made out of vegetarians?

Fannypack
02-17-2007, 21:52
wondrosity! helo wonder whos hiking witch is the only acceptable excuse for not billvilling.high crutch! hike on brother and sister. high laura, high teama. warming without you in pa. panzer you got that rainx on the truck? cause theres gonna be an inspection. i will require the rear sofa if someones comming with. i will be stopping to pee twice. i require coffie within 15 minutes of departure and i will require a canoli and my own calzone. vegetarien.

You want a calzone made out of vegetarians?
Jester, u actually try to make sense out of this post?

bfitz
02-18-2007, 02:25
ummm better leave mom at home. We'll webcast. :D
Never know, mom might be cool...besides, billville events are tame....

Stonewall
02-18-2007, 02:31
lol exactly .....

DuctTape
02-18-2007, 04:09
I'll be there - though I think I've only met only a handful of you in the past. Will be my first AT related outing since Trail Days '03. Spoke to Yahtzee through email recently - he plans on showing up at some point. yee-ha, yuenglings for everybody.

Jester2000
02-18-2007, 04:20
From Starlyte:

"I beseech thee to hear my cry for a new genre entered into the Saturday night disfunctional hilarity at the Billville Winter Warmer; to be held in Duncannon PA at the knightly Doyle Hotel February 23-25 in the year of our Lord Balsy 2007.

The 2 new categories in this genre should be:
-"The most creative thing a Billvillian has done in the year 2007."
-"The funniest thing a Billvillian has done in the year 2007"

Anyone can vote, out loud. Audience applaud will acknowledge the best.
2 winners each new category. Total 4 winners. I'll bring 4 gifts to distribute.
I do not have a name for the genre."

So we should probably make it refer to things that happened in 2006, but otherwise, if she's bringing the prizes, I say let 'er rip.

Jester2000
02-18-2007, 04:21
Also, as a quick reminder, T-shirts and bumperstickers will be available. . .

Was that a quick reminder, or a shameless plug?

StarLyte
02-18-2007, 08:11
We are all mothers in a sense.

Bring your moms. I'm a mom. Jester's mom could be there.

Just kidding about the webcast. Don't get excited. Unless there is wifi within 500 feet of the Doyle. Is there? Can someone let me know? Seriously.

StarLyte
02-18-2007, 08:11
From Starlyte:

"I beseech thee to hear my cry for a new genre entered into the Saturday night disfunctional hilarity at the Billville Winter Warmer; to be held in Duncannon PA at the knightly Doyle Hotel February 23-25 in the year of our Lord Balsy 2007.

The 2 new categories in this genre should be:
-"The most creative thing a Billvillian has done in the year 2007."
-"The funniest thing a Billvillian has done in the year 2007"

Anyone can vote, out loud. Audience applaud will acknowledge the best.
2 winners each new category. Total 4 winners. I'll bring 4 gifts to distribute.
I do not have a name for the genre."

So we should probably make it refer to things that happened in 2006, but otherwise, if she's bringing the prizes, I say let 'er rip.

Winners to be determined from an audience affected with phenomenalities induced from a spiritual nature (not to be confused with angels or trail angels) and innocent bystanders that are pulled in off the pavements.

bfitz
02-19-2007, 02:17
We are all mothers in a sense.
We are?

I think some of us are mothers and some of us are children. :p

mweinstone
02-20-2007, 08:50
billville, or williamtowne as it was once called was originally a celebration of weirdnesses but has evolved into a science. it can best be decribed as a church or organization whos faith mission is to warm. doyalashiously i may add. and i belive i may. what a fitting end to the world it is to have billvillians running around just now. what with their wormlike appearence and there cup hand as it is refered to. all the townsfolk will shutter there houses and put on extra earplugs as the merry makers take the stage and preform this years theam ,clifford the big red dog where are you now. and to end the night of rumpuss, a midnight hike to the beds. the beds are an ancient ritual sleeping ceromonie.

mweinstone
02-20-2007, 08:59
met a guy once. name was jester. 33rd level billvillian. couldnt get any secrets out of him. pumped him full of drinks. didnt work. these billvillians are up to something. there a tight liped group. met a woman. a miss foot. wonder i think. sweet enough. cant trust em. thell have yer kids eatin out of there spiritual hand in no time.said something about warmth and freindship. yeah!

bfitz
02-20-2007, 09:24
Weinstone's getting exited. Soon, mathewski, soon....

mweinstone
02-20-2007, 09:30
whats up zitbeef?

mweinstone
02-20-2007, 09:31
thats inside out speakin!

Mr. Pumpy
02-20-2007, 13:01
Chompzilla. Long time know speak. VSA left me a message last night. I want to come down with my woman for Saturday night, but I just have to run it by her. I'll know more tonight.

Take a Hike!

Pumpy

mweinstone
02-20-2007, 19:26
i sence a great disturbance in the force. minnisota did you cut the cheese? theres a ledgond among old dunncanians that says the doyal has an entrance to another dimention somewhere in room 23. i would give up all this to be a spider on the ceiling at the doyal. id spend my days tending my flys and laying new webtraps. at night id sneak into the bar and smoke butts and sip drops of beer swill. ahh to be a spider at the doyal.....

bfitz
02-20-2007, 19:47
I'd be a mouse. I'd live in a hole behind the alien head and the lava lamp on the shelf behind the bar. I'd sip white russians from a thimble and watch the hikers antics and listen to Sue Grace every saturday night.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 19:57
the place smells

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2007, 20:28
When was the last time you were there? :-?

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 20:30
year ago. it smells

bfitz
02-20-2007, 20:46
year ago. it smells
That's the stuff caught in your mustache. You comin this year?

StarLyte
02-20-2007, 20:48
year ago. it smells

HA HA

LW, I see a higher head on your Yengling tap.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 20:50
HA HA

LW, I see a higher head on your Yengling tap.

i don't drink yuengling

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 20:50
That's the stuff caught in your mustache. You comin this year?

no. the place has an odor

bfitz
02-20-2007, 21:05
Stale beer and cigarette smoke, piss and rotting timbers, but you won't have a better time anywhere else this weekend, so you comin or not?

Jester2000
02-20-2007, 22:03
no. the place has an odor

Maybe the step or two where your face landed had a smell. Ha!

Pumpy might come. Cool. Getting excited. . .

The Old Fhart
02-20-2007, 22:42
Lone Wolf-"the place smells"I believe that smell left when you did!:eek:
(Just kidding);)

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 22:44
I believe that smell left when you did!:eek:
(Just kidding);)

i know. first stayed there over 20 years ago. it stunk then, it stinks now.

Jester2000
02-20-2007, 22:47

Hmmm. So it only stinks when you're there.

Elementary, my dear Watson! I think we've solved the mystery!

bfitz
02-21-2007, 00:36
I still want him to come though.

mrc237
02-21-2007, 00:54
Stopped there after TDs LY seemed fine to me. LW did you take off your shoes while you were there ?

Fannypack
02-21-2007, 06:59
year ago. it smells
r we talkin' about the Doyle?

LW, I remember seeing u in a room, Jester's room, where we sat up & talked to the wee hours of the morning. Redneck and I were talkin' about the PCT and he was talkin' about cutting his hair. I believe Jester told us about his trip to Ireland and how he wanted to hike there someday soon.

Wasn't that last year, 2006?

Lone Wolf
02-21-2007, 09:25
r we talkin' about the Doyle?

LW, I remember seeing u in a room, Jester's room, where we sat up & talked to the wee hours of the morning. Redneck and I were talkin' about the PCT and he was talkin' about cutting his hair. I believe Jester told us about his trip to Ireland and how he wanted to hike there someday soon.

Wasn't that last year, 2006?

yup. and the place smells.

mweinstone
02-21-2007, 15:05
im 46. ill be 47 on march 4th. i was born in 1961. i was 15 or 16 when i ran away to the trail and ended up a week later at the doyal . i stayed for a week on the second floor. i read and ate candy till my money was gone. called mom and had bus fare wired.all was forgivin. had a great mom like that. my point? it smelled. it smells. and it will smell. it dosnt think. it dosnt eat. it dosnt sleep. it dosnt bleed. its a power. it cant be reconed with. and it wont stop comming after you. either we kill it or it kills us.(terminater)

WalkinHome
02-21-2007, 19:14

All part of the "charm" of the Doyle. No extra charge.

bfitz
02-21-2007, 19:23
My mustache must smell really good because I hardly notice...

RedneckRye
02-22-2007, 10:15
If anyone wants to take a look at my 1400 miles of PCT photos from last summer, bring a laptop.
Also, it loooks like I'm btinging out LunchBox and ParkBench, Trips can't make it.
See all of yall soon.

Newb
02-22-2007, 12:05
I'll be there Saturday. I hope there's room at the Inn. If not, I'll sleep in my Xterra. I hope I don't get hassled, mugged, abducted, raped or arrested if I sleep in my vehicle.

Jack Tarlin
02-22-2007, 12:11
Nah. That kinda stuff only happens inside the hotel. :D

(Note to the humor impaired.........that was a joke).

the goat
02-22-2007, 22:14
i love the doyle stank.

Skidsteer
02-22-2007, 22:44
I'll be there Saturday. I hope there's room at the Inn. If not, I'll sleep in my Xterra. I hope I don't get hassled, mugged, abducted, raped or arrested if I sleep in my vehicle.

Nah. That kinda stuff only happens inside the hotel. :D

(Note to the humor impaired.........that was a joke).

I dunno...

Pretty easy for pervs to get through a screen door (http://www.magnascreen.com/).

mweinstone
02-23-2007, 07:16
rise you stupid disk.i need light to rationalize not needing sleep. darkness is useless to me. not enough people awake and making food. and theres that evil dude in the moon all the time. why dosnt that thing spin anyway? oh how i wish it was two hours from now. then i could begin the gathering. must bring food everywhere i go. allways ready to have my ass endtimed. the doyal , and the food i bring, might be the last things i see. maby that big storm comes from the west coast and burrys dunncannon. maby its not a storm at all but a wheather weapon! aimed at the doyal. us hardy hikers are the only thing between evil and good. like jedi.....okay rants up. pancake pan is now at four billion kelvin. must gorge. se ya! have a good last look at sociaty just in case. cause where were goin there aint as much.

StarLyte
02-23-2007, 09:31
Hello friends-

Been here at the Doyle since yesterday. It doesn't smell, unless you're talking about the 3rd floor bathroom after.......

Ray, Jack, Chomp and VSA arrived about 1:00 a.m.

Vicki says hello to all u hiker trash. She showed me a list of who is coming. Wow.

I woke up Ray and Jack this morning....told them I was room service and had their breakfast :D

It's sunny and beautiful out, verrrrry cold.

Going to Gettysburg today.

Drive safely if you're coming this way.

Fannypack
02-23-2007, 12:11
enjoy Gettysburg... will not make this w/e...

will see y'all at TD... hope to hike in again, knee permitting

Fannypack
02-23-2007, 12:23
Ray & Chomp, am thinking about the WhiteTop (3rd annual) Cleanup being after Blisters presentation:
Friday 11 am-1 pm Triple Crowner Karine “Blistersister” Kelleher presents: "Three Different Trails, Three Different Ways of Life" about her experiences on Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide Trail and Appalachian Trail - Rock School

So we could go up about 1:30pm after going by Food Lion & picking up some food at the hot bar & get the garbage bags from Dollar store.....We can shuttle from the Food Lion parking lot. Anyone with a pickup truck is welcome to join us..(Hint: LW):)

Will post a separate thread for the 3rd annual Billville Whitetop Cleanup around the 1st of May...
Bring your work gloves. The beer, wine & whiskey bottles are waiting for us.

Have fun at the Doyle.

Sly
02-23-2007, 12:38
Will post a separate thread for the 3rd annual Billville Whitetop Cleanup around the 1st of May...
Bring your work gloves. The beer, wine & whiskey bottles are waiting for us.

I may be up for that. Will the bottles be empty or full?

Newb
02-23-2007, 14:06
Looks like I'll be sleeping in the hallway. Can I tent on the porch for 5 bucks?

WalkinHome
02-23-2007, 18:38
Am there Fannypack-cya then-good luck on the knee.

Sly
02-24-2007, 12:55
Let the hangovers begin... How about some semi-live pics!

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 16:16
checked into rm 23 . really love 23. its a room i can chat with god in. invited some friends over. panzer 1, vsa, and bfitz.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 16:19
whent down to the baroom and checked in with the shaporones, marsha starlyte and baltimore jack tarlin.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 16:26
hung with pat and hugged with vicky. the best of the best. these folks could use some work trips as well as ironmasters. i say we draw up a permanent volenteer work schedual for vicky and pat and our beloved doyal.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 16:33
we had visiting dignitarys . very small animallsaka vsa, aka lor, and chomp. they had the honymoon sweet. had that sucker . biblicly.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 16:37
we had wolf23000 ,very serious and nice.and his bizzaro world opposite, bag of tricks.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 16:42
wonderful jester and wonderous bfitz, and a shot of bfitz commin down the stairs. i diddnt do anything to it. so he is posessed after all.we need to work on that.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 16:50
and woman. laces is the beaming ist babe, she shines.its like she cant loose her hiker glow while the rest of us turn back to jet puff white. witch reminds me, im going to be launching a jetboil at traildays useing estes rocket engines, a nose cone and fins. be there or be square.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 16:55
baltimore jack just before the tarlin toss pa open event, and stone wall about to be tossed for sleeping in his coffie.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 17:01
the goat is so cool. check him out. here he is eating. dosnt he eat cool? and here he is washing his hands. cool right? i know. thats the goat. cool.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 17:08
some, like sheets, dress clorful, while others of the trash family choose to exspress there rage at the rising price of raman thru wildly controvercial poetry and hairstyle.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 17:19
panzer youthfully working on our work trip to the ironmasters saturday. and panzer at trail angel marys house feeling out what being old would be like if in fact he werent a teen.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 17:28
trail angel marys house was alive with flavors of love. she worked hard for us and we love her for it. breakfast includes batter fryed bannana thinggys that were as light and suculant as the young lady who made them. and the french toast with creamchease did thid thin in your mouth you might exspect from a french kiss but not mere toast. it was elevated to a food of the hiking gods. and peach maple syup and egg quichlike pie things and pbj burritojammers and cresonts and all manner of weird wonderfulness made with love and woofed with appreciation.

mweinstone
02-25-2007, 17:35
mannefesto and seth and i forget his name guy and all manner of folk i diddnt photograph. all was warm . i love you all.

Newb
02-26-2007, 08:32
had a great time. I'm sorry I missed Mary's again this year. I had to beat feet to get out ahead of the snow storm in DC. Glad I did, I hit the beltway just as it was getting buried.

Jim Adams
02-26-2007, 08:46
Great time, Great people--many thanks to all. I really needed the break!

geek
PS. Tricks--thanks for the space!

StarLyte
02-26-2007, 09:33
Hey Matty-great photos-is that the flame you spoke of in your room?

I'll post my photos later on today. They all need photo editing!!!

Geek - I'm still laughing from Saturday night.....you remember her :D She was still going strong at 4:00 a.m.

I'm still on the porch looking for Sly and Lone Wolf ;) where are you guys?

A SPECIAL thanks to Walkin'Home Ray....he surprised Tricks and Jester with birthday gifts.

The Goat is too much fun.

Jester's mom is a hiker babe. Jester you are so lucky to have a beautiful mom like that.

VSA is the Billville Human Resources Director now. Chomp is her employee. They train chickens to do a lot of the work though.

Trail Angel Mary is a Trail Goddess. There is no doubt.

Baltimore Jack :sun see you soon.

I had fun at the hostel, there wasn't much work to do, loved hangin in the basement-cool stuff down there. Even golf clubs.

Stonewall - thank you for helping me Sunday morning. I won't forget that.

Wolf drove 10 hours to be with us. He beat my record!

Brendan - hope you made it home okay. I should have stayed at Mary's. I hit a very bad ice storm on 322W up to I-80. I took pics of it. 4wd didn't help.

mweinstone
02-26-2007, 10:09
contact has been made.(dr who)

Blister
02-26-2007, 14:24
Looks like all had a great time! I miss you all so badly that my stomach hurts!

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2007, 14:40
A very fine time was had by all.

Thanx to Pat and Vicki for opening their doors and arms to us once again, and to Trail Angel Mary for the really ridiculous Sunday morning breakfast!

Sly
02-26-2007, 15:03
I'm still on the porch looking for Sly and Lone Wolf ;) where are you guys?

Yeah I know. I was tempted but will be driving/hiking long distances and spending lots of money soon.

Wow - this is the first Mathewski post that I actually understood. That makes me a little nervous. :)

Yeah, scary! :eek:

A very fine time was had by all.

Jack what are you're plans? Are you heading south, starting from Springer soon? :confused:

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2007, 15:12
Will be somewhere in the south on or about St. Patrick's Day, Sly; will be in touch.

Sly
02-26-2007, 15:15
Will be somewhere in the south on or about St. Patrick's Day, Sly; will be in touch.

Please do! I'm not leaving until March 26....

the goat
02-26-2007, 16:43
Please do! I'm not leaving until March 26....

wish i could head west with you, sly. i'm afraid it's gonna be too early a departure though to fit my schedule. at any rate, i'll give you a shout before you head out.

bfitz
02-26-2007, 20:15
wonderful jester and wonderous bfitz, and a shot of bfitz commin down the stairs. i diddnt do anything to it. so he is posessed after all.we need to work on that.
Someone said I was a ghost...guess it's true. I'm the Doyle's poltergeist. Be afraid.

Fannypack
02-27-2007, 17:31
did yall leave Jester at the Doyle or on the trail? I haven't seen a post since the Warmer....

Jester, can't wait to see some witty comments about the poetry contest & all....(or is it like this: :what happens at the Doyle stays at the Doyle"?

Also, Redneck, did u show your PCT06 pics to Chomp? Is he hooked on the PCT yet?

RedneckRye
02-27-2007, 23:56
I'm not sure if Chomp saw them or not. I had a disc of about 400 photos popped into Trail Angel Mary's laptop at the bar for a good chunk of saturday afternoon, just slideshowing thru.

chomp
02-28-2007, 09:34
I saw the photos, Fannypack.. just not at the Doyle. I got a private showing in Columbus. VSA and I were there scoping out the location of the upcoming first ever Billville O-H-I-O Gathering. (get going, Redneck). And yes, I am sold, I am sold. Just not sure if I'll be able to do a thru in the next couple of years.

mweinstone
02-28-2007, 15:38
chompest, not sure is not, not hiking. its not, sure your not. and its not not. so plan away . anything can happen to change financial situations. there will be hiking my friend. oh there will be hiking. and of the thru variaty to be sure. faith chomp. chomp on some faith me pal. yarrr.......

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2008, 20:35
Anyone seeing this should keep in mind that this is an old thread and deals with LAST YEAR's event so those dates given are WRONG. This year's (2008)event in Duncannon will be 29 February to 2 March and there's a whole other thread that deals with the subject.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-13-2008, 10:46
This year's Billville Winter Warmer thread is here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30265

Thanks for catching this, Jack. I moved the posts about this year's warmer to the correct thread and am locking this one to avoid confusion.