PDA

View Full Version : SORUCK 2008 idea

Dancer
01-17-2007, 12:58
I know that we just got home and all but I'm thinking about next year. I think we should do a talent/variety show. I know we have jugglers and musicians. I bet we have actors, singers, comedians and other talented folks as well. We could also display art, photography, crafts and writings by Whiteblazers. It could be AT related or not. Or we could come up with a theme...

I would be glad to head this up and coordinate with those doing the organizing for next year. I know we do alot of talking and visiting during the weekend but this would be a great way to find out things about each other that we may not bring up in conversation. Any interest?? Ideas?? Tell me to shut up and leave well enough alone??

Julie :sun :sun

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 12:59
I know that we just got home and all but I'm thinking about next year. I think we should do a talent/variety show. I know we have jugglers and musicians. I bet we have actors, singers, comedians and other talented folks as well. We could also display art, photography, crafts and writings by Whiteblazers. It could be AT related or not. Or we could come up with a theme...

I would be glad to head this up and coordinate with those doing the organizing for next year. I know we do alot of talking and visiting during the weekend but this would be a great way to find out things about each other that we may not bring up in conversation. Any interest?? Ideas?? Tell me to shut up and leave well enough alone??

Julie :sun :sun

H e l l yeah! I'll polish up my Rodney Dangerfield and Andrew Dice Clay acts.:)

Dancer
01-17-2007, 13:03
H e l l yeah! I'll polish up my Rodney Dangerfield and Andrew Dice Clay acts.:)

Holy God, what have I done?;)

bigcranky
01-17-2007, 13:04
Great idea. There are some very talented people at the Ruck. Then there are people like me whose 'talents' only show up under the influence of alcohol. Not that I would know anything about that.

Can I use this thread for another SORUCK 2008 idea? I'd love to push the start time back to late morning Saturday, and have scheduled events on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I think a lot of people at the Ruck get Monday as a holiday, and this would be a more efficient use of the available time. (I had to take Friday off from work to be there for dinner that evening. No huge deal for me, but a show-stopper for my wife and daughter. I also saw a lot of people arriving very late Friday night who missed dinner and the slide shows.) I'll put on my flame-proof suit now.....

Dancer
01-17-2007, 13:12
Can I use this thread for another SORUCK 2008 idea? .

Yes, please feel free to use the thread for other ideas but don't let the original idea get lost. Big Cranky, I'll expect you and ALHikergal to bring some photographs to display.

generoll
01-17-2007, 13:23
Monday as a holiday? Only if you work for the government or a bank. For the rest of us drones it's business as usual.

Sly
01-17-2007, 13:26
All these ideas depend on how many trail presentations are available. Would I bump an AT/PCT/CDT slideshow to have a talent contest? I doubt it. I also doubt I'd move the entire schedule up a half a day to accomodate those that can't make it Friday night, especially since most of the people do show up on Friday.

I'm not saying I won't make adjustments, but I'm not going to change much to satisfy individual whims.

Sometimes it's best just to let **** happen, such as the joke session Sunday night.

jlb2012
01-17-2007, 13:30
Sometimes it's best just to let **** happen, such as the joke session Sunday night.

When is the secret recording of the joke session going to be made available?

J/K

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 13:31

J/K

I'm SO screwed if it comes out.:eek:

Sly
01-17-2007, 13:32

I wish, I missed it, but heard it was fun. I tend to doubt it would be the same if it were scheduled.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-17-2007, 13:45
::: makes Wonderfoot an asbetos skirt for juggling act with Dances with Mice :::

bfitz
01-17-2007, 13:52
A good idea, at the very least to encourage folks to bring all their acoutrements and meet up to see who does what. I hope everyone who can is coming to trail days, there is always a hiker talent show there, that might inspire. Nice thinking AW! Any magicians?

minnesotasmith
01-17-2007, 13:54
A talent show is the one thing I thought was missing IMO from the really fun SoRuck last week (and, for that matter, last year's Billville).

Ewker
01-17-2007, 13:59
I had to take off Friday to be there. No way I can get Monday off. Keep the days as is. Maybe next yr I can stay later than 4:00PM on Sunday. Sorry I missed the joke session

TOW
01-17-2007, 14:13
Hey I'll do a story or two................

Gadog430
01-17-2007, 14:26
Interesting ideas. A few thoughts.

Many people want to go home Sunday so that if they do have one day off they can recoup on Monday.

Friday night dinner was discussed as a dropable option last year, and we were able to make it work this year. It's coming back next year unless Sly sees any problem.

The Saturday meals went so well this year and Sly's idea to funnel them thru the back was a key reason.

Saturday meals are one area that I have VERY VERY strong feelings about. It's an NOC centered event, and I just feel strongly that we keep all three meals to enable attendees to be centered there so they can park, and then enjoy. I didn't move my car all weekend. As long as they work, I hope Sly agrees that we keep them. This year we were able to make them work very well. Of course, the weather cooperated.

By Sunday, many people are RUCKED out and just ready for a thin slate and relaxation.

I posted on The List that I was willing to do food again next year. In 2006 I didn't escape from the kitchen and it just ruined my RUCK.

In 2007 I just put my trust in the MANY MANY Kitchen Angels, and I got out of there, and it all worked out. On a personal note, that allowed me to participate in events. It's no fun for a person to be stuck in the kitchen.

SORUCK 2007 was absolutely the best SORUCK I have attended. I bow to each of you.

Dawg

Ps. See you at Trail Days. We are making Tin Dogs and Dawg Burgers again this year on Friday Night. Be there or be square.

All these ideas depend on how many trail presentations are available. Would I bump an AT/PCT/CDT slideshow to have a talent contest? I doubt it. I also doubt I'd move the entire schedule up a half a day to accomodate those that can't make it Friday night, especially since most of the people do show up on Friday.

I'm not saying I won't make adjustments, but I'm not going to change much to satisfy individual whims.

Gadog430
01-17-2007, 14:27
Do we have to pay extra for the striptease?
::ducks and runs very fast::

Dawg

Dancer
01-17-2007, 14:48

Enough said...
Point taken...

Dancer
01-17-2007, 14:52
A good idea, at the very least to encourage folks to bring all their acoutrements and meet up to see who does what. I hope everyone who can is coming to trail days, there is always a hiker talent show there, that might inspire. Nice thinking AW! Any magicians?

See you at TrailDays Dude.

bfitz
01-17-2007, 15:02
Mabye a preplanned sheduled kinda thing injected into the "program" might not be the way to go, but if there's a campfire and musicians, jugglers, magicians etc. we can always get together and mabye do stuff in the evening. My fingers don't loosen up until after a few drinks anyhow! We can make an announcement at breakfast or something to encourage folks to bring their instruments or whatever to the fire. I'm gonna come prepared with some jokes in my pocket for PA ruck, Ill tell ya that much!

Boat Drinks
01-17-2007, 20:48
See you at TrailDays Dude.
No no, THE Dude....:cool:

Lone Wolf
01-17-2007, 21:00
No no, THE Dude....:cool:

I only know of one anal cuss that requests THE when addressed.

The Weasel
01-17-2007, 21:55

"Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm The Dude, man."

-- Jeff Bridges, "The Great Lebowski," (1988)

"Catch you later, on down the trail."

-- Sam Elliott, Ibid.

The Weasel

Jan LiteShoe
01-17-2007, 22:20
All these ideas depend on how many trail presentations are available. Would I bump an AT/PCT/CDT slideshow to have a talent contest? I doubt it....

Could be a Cabin C-type thing.
:)

Jan LiteShoe
01-17-2007, 22:21

You could tell goat jokes.

Sly
01-17-2007, 23:38
Mabye a preplanned sheduled kinda thing injected into the "program" might not be the way to go, but if there's a campfire and musicians, jugglers, magicians etc. we can always get together and mabye do stuff in the evening. My fingers don't loosen up until after a few drinks anyhow! We can make an announcement at breakfast or something to encourage folks to bring their ......

Knitting needles? :D

Gadog430
01-18-2007, 09:27
You guys are just jealous that we won't let you in on the knitting party. Gelllllllllllllll-lussssssssssssss.

Dawg

Knitting needles? :D

D'Artagnan
01-18-2007, 09:40
"Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm The Dude, man."

-- Jeff Bridges, "The Great Lebowski," (1988)

"Catch you later, on down the trail."

-- Sam Elliott, Ibid.

The Weasel

You mean The Big Lebowski (1998) ? Sorry, just bustin' chops. :D

TOW
01-18-2007, 10:25
Do we have to pay extra for the striptease?
::ducks and runs very fast::

Dawg
Did L. Wolf tell you that was part of my act? Listen I do a very slow and tantalizing strip tease as I woo the crowd with my words nonsense wisdom, I mean I down right hypnotize the crowd into believing I am Mr HeMan and I usually have all the babes hanging at my feet when I'm finished telling one of my whoppers. You guys will love it so much that you will want to empty your bank accounts into my hand because i am a legend I tell ya! Maybe in my own mind that is, but none the less.............

TOW
01-18-2007, 10:28
You could tell goat jokes.
Ah, so you heard my mating call while I was there in NC? NC, where the men are men and the goats are scared..................

TOW
01-18-2007, 10:31
Hey Gadog, I will step up to the ball plate and do all the cooking next year if you want? I do a mean dish of hog jowls, chitlins, pig brains smothered in opposum gravy and seasoned with fat back bacon.............that is down right good hill billy food..............

Gadog430
01-18-2007, 10:44
I think you better stick to eggs. I'm jus' sayin'.

Dawg

Hey Gadog, I will step up to the ball plate and do all the cooking next year if you want? I do a mean dish of hog jowls, chitlins, pig brains smothered in opposum gravy and seasoned with fat back bacon.............that is down right good hill billy food..............

bfitz
01-18-2007, 13:34
The dude, his dudeness, duder...el duderino if your not into that whole brevity thing....

Nightwalker
01-18-2007, 13:53

Add TOW and make that two. :)

TOW
01-18-2007, 18:26
Add TOW and make that two. :)
:banana :banana

Gadog430
01-18-2007, 22:07
You two know each other Nightwalker & TOW?
Oh wow. I think I may need to go lie down.

Dawg

:banana :banana

TOW
01-19-2007, 09:39
You two know each other Nightwalker & TOW?
Oh wow. I think I may need to go lie down.

Dawg
Let me tell ya something Gadog, in my books this man is very kindred soul. Back when I got out of the hospital I needed some extra help and Nightwalker were one of those who stepped right up and aided me.

Nightwalker may have not wanted me to praise him here on Whiteblaze but I think some recognition is due the man.:sun

Gadog430
01-19-2007, 10:08
I know. He's my bud. Right now he has possession of the garbage can. AND YOU BETTER TAKE CARE OF IT FRRAAAAANKKKKKKKKKKK.

Dawg

Ps. Brat.

Let me tell ya something Gadog, in my books this man is very kindred soul. Back when I got out of the hospital I needed some extra help and Nightwalker were one of those who stepped right up and aided me.

Nightwalker may have not wanted me to praise him here on Whiteblaze but I think some recognition is due the man.:sun

TOW
01-19-2007, 10:10
I know. He's my bud. Right now he has possession of the garbage can. AND YOU BETTER TAKE CARE OF IT FRRAAAAANKKKKKKKKKKK.

Dawg

Ps. Brat.
You mean you two live in the same neighborhood?

Gadog430
01-19-2007, 10:55
Well yeah. We go hiking together...used to be pretty regularly. But then Frank got this crazy idea he was going to Maine. Damn you Frank.

Dawg

You mean you two live in the same neighborhood?