PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight backpacking

HaddenLo
01-17-2007, 13:28
Has anyone read "Lightweight Backpacking and Camping" by Ryan Jordan? If so was is helpful or did it just say to buy lightweight gear?

sparky2000
01-17-2007, 14:02
"Helpful" is going light weight. That's his point. How to go lightweight may be learned by accepting his opinion or by "hard knocks". Your choice.

Kerosene
01-17-2007, 14:17
I'm in the process of reading it. As with many books, there are some good points and things to think about. Given his definition, I would already be classified as a lightweight backpacker, and I have been exposed to many of the concepts to get to UL. I was most interested in some of the rationale and techniques around tarping and nutrition. It's pretty well written, but it is a bit pricey.

rafe
01-17-2007, 15:54
Has anyone read "Lightweight Backpacking and Camping" by Ryan Jordan? If so was is helpful or did it just say to buy lightweight gear?

Yea, I like this book. Also that thin green book by Don Ladigan (I forget the title right now.)

Ryan's book is detailed and thorough, covers all the bases. Starts with a chapter on the mechanics & physics (!!) of walking. Talks about clothing, shelter, cooking, stoves, meals, diet, making camp, first aid, emergencies, etc etc. The chapter on clothing is a bit bewildering, though. Hard to keep track of all the different miracle fabrics and the name-brands associated with each one.

With some help from these two books (and a fair amount of cash) I've managed to lighten my base weight from around 24 lbs down to around 14-15 lbs. I haven't swallowed the whole "ultra-light" gig yet, and probably never will. That would involve base weights well below 10 lbs -- and I'm not ready for those sorts of sacrifices yet.

Frosty
01-17-2007, 17:27
Yea, I like this book. Also that thin green book by Don Ladigan (I forget the title right now.)

Lighten up.

Edit: I'm not telling you to take things less seriously. I mean the title of the Ladigan book is "LIGHTEN UP."

Seeker
01-17-2007, 17:47
if jordan's book is the one i'm thinking (lots of cartoon drawings), it's good.

i had already seen most of the ideas he presents on the various forums i belong to, but for someone with a bit of backpacking experience who wanted to have it (ideas for going lighter) all in one book, it's good.

rafe
01-17-2007, 18:13
if jordan's book is the one i'm thinking (lots of cartoon drawings), it's good.

You're thinking of the book by Don Ladigan. The illustrations ("cartoons") are by Mike Clelland. Amazon link here (http://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-Complete-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/0762737344/sr=8-1/qid=1169071715/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-8819618-6444752?ie=UTF8&s=books). It's probably a better deal than Ryan Jordan's book, but not quite as detailed.

Don's book is short and to the point, with great illustrations. Ryan's is more like a reference work, and quite a bit fatter.

Mags
01-17-2007, 19:45
You're thinking of the book by Don Ladigan. The illustrations ("cartoons") are by Mike Clelland. Amazon link here (http://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-Complete-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/0762737344/sr=8-1/qid=1169071715/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-8819618-6444752?ie=UTF8&s=books). It's probably a better deal than Ryan Jordan's book, but not quite as detailed.

Don's book is short and to the point, with great illustrations. Ryan's is more like a reference work, and quite a bit fatter.

Ladigan's book is one of series of books about various outdoor topics done in a similar format. (I've seen them for rock climing, tele skiing, etc.)

They are a good quick and dirty guide to your outdoor activity of choice.

I should also add that the Jordan book is not just one "voice"; has several different ideas and opinions on how to lighten up. Think of the book as an online discussion in book form.

If you are new to lightweight backpacking, I'd get the Ladigan book. The basic concepts are illustrated rather well and will help a traditional backpacker transition to a lightweight system.

The Jordan book is a bit overwhelming if you are new to LWBing. It is a book better suited for a person already familiar with LWBing and just wants to refine their techniques. (Which could apply to the original poster) The folks over at Jordan's site are also VERY technically oriented. Sometimes overwhelmingly so. Makes for some dense info to digest. Still, a good book if you want to make the next step.

Just my .02, YMMV, HYOH, etc. etc.