PDA

View Full Version : NOBO starting in late April

phullish
01-17-2007, 17:50
I've decided to start my hike this year going NOBO in late April or very early May. What can I expect in regards to weather? I'm guessing snow and freezing temperatures won't be that big of a problem, but I haven't hiked anything south of Virginia on the AT, so I'm not sure what to pack for.

Also, anything else I should be aware of starting at that time?

Thanks in advance.

scope
01-17-2007, 18:04
My knowledge is of Ga and southern NC (below Smokies). Nothing of consequence in terms of snow, but freezing temps at night are a definite probability early on. Average low should be in the 40s in late April, warming into the 50s fairly quickly. I believe that once you get to the Smokies, it should be much the same and then you're into summer after that.

Wohelo
01-22-2007, 22:32
in early May! So, maybe I will see you out there. I did a section hike back in August in MA and ran into a bunch of thrus who had started at the beginning of May. Hopefully, there will be some others this year too. Thanks for asking this question about weather, I've been wondering the same thing as far as warm winter clothing.

-wohelo

Peaks
01-23-2007, 11:10
I started April 24. It was spitting snow and sleet when I went over Roan Mountain. There was a hard frost in the valleys the week before Memorial Day that killed all the gardens. Some of the best advice I heeded was to hold on to my cold weather gear until after Mt. Rodgers.