PDA

View Full Version : Andover Guest House

attroll
07-03-2003, 20:54
For those of you that may be interested. I just was in Andover visiting my friends and owners of The Cabin today. They told me some sad news. One of the caretakers of the Andover Guest House died recently. Richard (Peg Leg) passed away. From what I understand is that his wife Sandra is still currently running it. But I have not confirmed that yet.

ganj
07-03-2003, 20:59
Very sorry to hear this. My deepest condolences.

MOWGLI
07-04-2003, 09:46
Peg Leg was a wonderful Man. I thoroughly enjoyed the 5 days I spent with him in Andover recuperating from a virus in 2000. For those who didn't have the opportunity to meet him, he was a real character and gentle spirit. He'll be missed!

Blue Jay
07-07-2003, 07:45
Damm, he was truly one of the most wonderful characters on the trail. I'm sooo glad I stopped there last year and got to see him one more time. He flat out enjoyed being around and helping hikers. A very sad day for us all. I'm still hoping this is a bad joke Pegleg is pulling on us.

Downunda
07-08-2003, 08:05
I stayed at the Andover Guest House in 2003, and for me it was the best of the "commercial hostels" that I experienced along the AT.

I was hiking with Blaze at the time and we had had few a fairly tough days before getting to East B Hill Road. When we hit East B Hill Road it was mid morning and stinking hot. Our intention was to hitch a ride into Andover for a well earned break.

After about 45 minutes only a handfull of cars had passed and the drivers didn't want to see us. And then along came Pegleg (Richard) in his van on what we found out was a daily shuttle run to pick up hikers. Without any strings he offered us an ice cold Coke and a lift into town. What a life-saver he was to us!

As it turned out I liked the Andover Hotel so much I stayed there for 3 nights, getting Pegleg to shuttle me out to the trail each day.

The thing I liked about the place was that it was so clean and comfortable, lots of room to lounge about and nothing was too much trouble for Sandra and Pegleg.
My condolences go to Sandra and Richard's family.

One of my favourite AT hike photos is one of Pegleg with me with Lake Mooselookmeguntic in the background when he dropped me off at the trail (the photo can be seen on my website at the link below

http://www.geocities.com/davidburville/roll7a.html )

Pegleg was such a good hearted soul, that at the time he dropped me off at the trail to continue my hike Restless had just happened to climb out of the scrub to cross the road, and without a second thought Pegleg handed her an ice cold Coke.

Pegleg will be sorely missed by the AT hiking community. I do hope they can manage to keep the Andover Hotel open. :(

attroll
07-08-2003, 09:57
I wanted to correct what I wrote. Pegleg passed away this last Monday (30 June 2003) not two months ago like I stated.